Wexford Forum

Season Tickets

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yeah, I'd be surprised myself. I normally get one around March/April, but didn't this year. Championship affected by a virus, or something like that........

Anyway, reckon that for most, main reason for getting one is to see your own club's matches in both hurling and football, along with a few others. But if you're already getting to your own matches anyway because you're togging off, then you'd have to be going to a hell of a lot of others as a neutral in order to get value from a season ticket. So unlikely that many players actually have one.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 28/07/2020 14:53:17    2285582

Link

players would also get to see a match before/after.
i would be amazed if there were many under 50's who have a season ticket.let alone a player.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3839 - 29/07/2020 12:39:12    2285668

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "players would also get to see a match before/after.
i would be amazed if there were many under 50's who have a season ticket.let alone a player."
Does it matter what age you are?? A deal is a deal. I bought my ticket in good faith because I am a sports fan and a good customer of the GAA all my life. I bought my ticket for 160 euro fully expecting the co board to honour the deal and allow me admission to as many matches as I wanted to attend, but now it seems like i'm going to be able to attend 2 matches only which works out at 80 euro per game. This can't be right and needs to be rectified.

wexdude (Wexford) - Posts: 17 - 30/07/2020 12:33:21    2285818

Link

Don't forget the football! So you can see at least four matches. Just €40 per game. Bargain! ;)

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 30/07/2020 16:34:18    2285863

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Yeah, season tickets can be transferred from one person to another, and back again, at any time. For an instance, in an ordinary year, I could use a ticket to see a match on a Friday evening, then give it to Billy for a match on Saturday afternoon, and Jack for a match on Saturday evening, before getting it back myself to use on Sunday. The only stipulation is that a ticket can only be used once for each match.

This year is obviously different, but if a player did happen to have a season ticket, there's nothing to stop him just giving it to somebody else to use at that club's matches."
I believe there's going to be cheaper season tickets offered to 2020 ticket holders next year.

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 103 - 31/07/2020 15:28:22    2285979

Link

Replying To wexdude:  "Does it matter what age you are?? A deal is a deal. I bought my ticket in good faith because I am a sports fan and a good customer of the GAA all my life. I bought my ticket for 160 euro fully expecting the co board to honour the deal and allow me admission to as many matches as I wanted to attend, but now it seems like i'm going to be able to attend 2 matches only which works out at 80 euro per game. This can't be right and needs to be rectified."
did you read what i said on the 1st page????
i said i think everyone should get a refund or a free season ticket next year.i was just agreeing with the point that i would bet no playing player has a season ticket,and very few under 50s have them.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3839 - 02/08/2020 12:39:20    2286106

Link

Replying To comc:  "I believe there's going to be cheaper season tickets offered to 2020 ticket holders next year."
The original post said there'd be a 40% discount next year. That would make the price €96. Would possibly be rounded up to €100.

That would essentially be the same as if you paid €100 for this year, and the full price of €160 next year (in that it would be €260 over two years). Don't think there's any way that anybody could justifiably claim that even €100 would be a fair price for this year, with the way things have turned out.

By the way, there's a chance that each club could have fewer matches next year. No relegation this year means there'll be 13 teams in each grade next year, so two groups of four and a group of five is a possibility. That means three or at most four matches per code per club, or somewhere between six and eight group games between hurling and football combined, instead of the ten that all clubs had in recent years.

Will be interesting to see if that's reflected in the price of a season ticket next year too.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 04/08/2020 10:31:59    2286294

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "The original post said there'd be a 40% discount next year. That would make the price €96. Would possibly be rounded up to €100.

That would essentially be the same as if you paid €100 for this year, and the full price of €160 next year (in that it would be €260 over two years). Don't think there's any way that anybody could justifiably claim that even €100 would be a fair price for this year, with the way things have turned out.

By the way, there's a chance that each club could have fewer matches next year. No relegation this year means there'll be 13 teams in each grade next year, so two groups of four and a group of five is a possibility. That means three or at most four matches per code per club, or somewhere between six and eight group games between hurling and football combined, instead of the ten that all clubs had in recent years.

Will be interesting to see if that's reflected in the price of a season ticket next year too."
I agree with you but I don't think anyone will be buying next years seasons tickets for some time to come - if they don't handle this years fairly then they may have killed the concept for a couple of years. There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge yet.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 981 - 04/08/2020 13:12:21    2286327

Link

Replying To zinny:  "I agree with you but I don't think anyone will be buying next years seasons tickets for some time to come - if they don't handle this years fairly then they may have killed the concept for a couple of years. There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge yet."
Why don't they just refund the season tickets? I cannot for the life of me understand why the GAA are going down the road of antagonising their most loyal supporters whose support they rely on year in year out. Not just for season tickets but golf classics, Model county tickets, and so on and on. Never cut the hand that feeds you as the saying goes.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 864 - 04/08/2020 18:25:01    2286368

Link

A full refund is not really a runner because most season ticket holders will still be entitled to see at least five or six games that their club is involved in (there probably won't be too many clubs going out after only two games in both hurling and football). But I do think a refund of around €80 to €100 would be in order, either by way of a straight refund now, or that much of a discount next year.

Not sure what you mean about golf classics and the Model County Draw and so on. If you mean from a club point of view, it's all essential fundraising to keep any club on the road. Without them, there'd be no teams or matches or grounds at all.

If you mean from a Co. Board point of view, then I think it's fair enough to say that the annual golf classic is largely a corporate type of affair - they're not asking the ordinary Joe to fork out €50 or €100 each, or whatever it is. Having said that, I'm not into golf at all myself, so maybe I have the wrong idea.

And the County Board's proceeds from the Model County Draw pay for the Centre of Excellence in Ferns, which I think is fair enough too. But maybe that's just me........

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 05/08/2020 12:36:45    2286450

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "A full refund is not really a runner because most season ticket holders will still be entitled to see at least five or six games that their club is involved in (there probably won't be too many clubs going out after only two games in both hurling and football). But I do think a refund of around €80 to €100 would be in order, either by way of a straight refund now, or that much of a discount next year.

Not sure what you mean about golf classics and the Model County Draw and so on. If you mean from a club point of view, it's all essential fundraising to keep any club on the road. Without them, there'd be no teams or matches or grounds at all.

If you mean from a Co. Board point of view, then I think it's fair enough to say that the annual golf classic is largely a corporate type of affair - they're not asking the ordinary Joe to fork out €50 or €100 each, or whatever it is. Having said that, I'm not into golf at all myself, so maybe I have the wrong idea.

And the County Board's proceeds from the Model County Draw pay for the Centre of Excellence in Ferns, which I think is fair enough too. But maybe that's just me........"
But you are assuming that they get 5 or 6 matches, and who is to say they will be guaranteed a ticket?
Those golf classics are absolutely asking ordinary Joe to fork out (I know my dad has played every year), there is a corporate element to it as I know 1 of the management where I work brings a couple of teams. I don't play golf myself but as I say, it comes back to cutting the hand that feeds you.
I would hazard a guess that what the GAA makes from season tickets is minuscule compared to the commercial revenues in place. I may go training now but I bet if it is published the figure would be paltry, why fight over it?

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 864 - 05/08/2020 19:16:39    2286499

Link

Every season ticket holder this year is guaranteed access to all matches their club plays. Every club (well, every dual club anyway) has a guaranteed two matches in hurling and two more in football. Most clubs will qualify for the knock-out stages in at least one code. Some clubs will qualify for the quarter-finals in both, and maybe go further in one or both. So there's where the five or six matches come from, that a season ticket holder will still be allowed to attend this year.

On the other thing, am not fighting about it. I know the figure for income from season tickets is published in each year's county accounts, but I don't have any recent annual reports to hand right now. I do know however that it's an important source of income between about December and March/April each year, when there's very little else coming in.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 05/08/2020 21:44:26    2286512

Link

i would hazard a guess though that people buy season ticket so they can go to many matches beyond their own club.i know my uncles has one,now he lives a stone throw from the park but he has one so he can go to all sorts in both codes.he would probably go to more matches as a neutral,than he ever would for the harriers.

i would say most season ticket holders buy these on the same assumption.if only going to your own clubs matches,you might not even get enough matches in a typical year to make it worth while financially.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3839 - 06/08/2020 08:36:23    2286552

Link

Yeah, that's definitely the case with everybody I know with a season ticket too. After all, in a normal year, if you were to use a season ticket just for your own club's matches, the only way you'd get value at €160 a pop would be if your club made it all the way to the county finals in both senior or intermediate hurling and football (and maybe Intermediate 'A'? Not sure if regular admission there is €5 or €10).

But as outlined above, if you've a season ticket this year, you'll probably still be entitled to see five or six matches, or maybe more depending on how far your club progresses. So potentially €50 to €60 worth of admissions for the €160 you paid. That's why I'm suggesting that a refund or reduction of around €100 would be more in order than the 40% (€64) that they're apparently actually offering.

For what it's worth, I'd normally have one myself, but didn't get it this year because of how the championships were already postponed by the time I'd normally get it. And I'm not over 50 either, despite what some people here might think!!

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 06/08/2020 11:55:20    2286587

Link

Well my grandad was offered a ticket for 1 of my matches, he didn't take it as he is uncomfortable going anywhere at the moment.
That is another consideration, it is easy to say season ticket holders can go but what if they do not think the risk is worth it?

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 864 - 06/08/2020 15:53:49    2286624

Link

It's a valid point, but for somebody in that situation, it was said a while back that anybody who asked for a full refund for this year's ticket was given it. Obviously I can't speak for the powers-that-be here, but it might be the case that anybody like that who asks for a refund now might still get it, if it can be shown that the ticket hasn't actually been used at any matches yet for that reason. Season tickets are scanned at the turnstiles as they're used, so it would probably be pretty straightforward to check.

The other option they'd have is to allow somebody else the use of the ticket, and come to some arrangement themselves as regards a few quid. I know I'd gladly pay a season ticket holder a tenner (or maybe even twice that!) for the use of their ticket for my own club's quarter-final this weekend, if they weren't going to use the ticket themselves and if I had no other way of getting one.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 06/08/2020 16:44:33    2286638

Link

You can use your season ticket number as the voucher number to stream any of the games

WEX98 (Wexford) - Posts: 106 - 07/08/2020 23:23:24    2286817

Link