Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To munsterchamps:  "what does bulfin add to the setup......"
I'm not a fly on the wall, he's been involved for years between LIT and Clare.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2601 - 24/11/2020 19:35:50    2314907

Link

Replying To beano:  "I would say having external coaches are the least of our worries.

Looking at some of the "professional" coaches within our own county, and it wouldn't inspire much confidence in them making an impact at county level. I can name at least two clubs who had coaching officers managing them in this year's championship, and neither club got out of the group.

It's no harm getting an outsiders view anyway, especially having unbiased views of players."
You've hit the nail on the head here with your second and third sentences in. There are very few coaching officers or games promotion officers within the county who id let near a county team.

The best coaches and hurling brains in the county do not end up in such roles.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1204 - 24/11/2020 19:36:24    2314908

Link

Replying To 890202:  "I'm not arguing whether it's unique or not. I'm arguing that it isnt a good idea.

Just because most counties do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Most hurlers used to think ground hurling was a good idea.

Most footballers used to think it was a good idea to kick the ball as far as they could every time they got it.

I don't care whether I'm in a minority or not, but it isnt a good idea in my view for the county going forward to have so many outsiders in our senior hurling management team."
I'd like Wexford people involved too which there is with the likes of Rossiter, JJ and Mags D'Arcy but don't just have people there as token gestures as there from Wexford. It's not just Clare folk involved, PJ Ryan was involved in 2017 before getting an underage development role with his own county Kilkenny, Pauric Fanning and Stephen Molumphy were involved up before becoming manager and selector with Waterford at different stages, Pat Bennett from Waterford I think was involved this year too.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2601 - 24/11/2020 19:41:38    2314913

Link

Replying To 890202:  "You've hit the nail on the head here with your second and third sentences in. There are very few coaching officers or games promotion officers within the county who id let near a county team.

The best coaches and hurling brains in the county do not end up in such roles."
What about the 1st and 4th sentence?

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2601 - 24/11/2020 19:51:35    2314924

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i will answer that when you answer how you would have ran the club championship?
the basics must never be in question at senior inter county level"
Exactly as they were run but the other way around. Football first then Hurling. And that's because the footballers had some league games to get ready for the championship but the hurlers didnt. Not because the Hurlers should get preferential treatment. At the same time nowhere near as many on the senior intercounty football team play senior club hurling as the other way around so the footballers preparations wouldn't have been as badly affected.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1021 - 24/11/2020 21:30:16    2314988

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i will answer that when you answer how you would have ran the club championship?
the basics must never be in question at senior inter county level"
I've answered your question Perfect10. Please answer mine.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1021 - 24/11/2020 21:30:58    2314990

Link

Replying To 890202:  "You've hit the nail on the head here with your second and third sentences in. There are very few coaching officers or games promotion officers within the county who id let near a county team.

The best coaches and hurling brains in the county do not end up in such roles."
What roles do they end up in then? The 96 team had leaders all over the pitch. How come Liam Dunne is the only one to have managed Wexford with any success?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1021 - 24/11/2020 21:33:58    2314992

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "What about the 1st and 4th sentence?"
You must be beginning to warm to my views if you keep looking for more? ;)

1st i wouldn't say they are the least of our worries. We have to look beyond Davy, and the lack of obvious top coaching talent within the county structures is a big worry, not a minor worry imo. Would any other liam McCarthy county be looking for anyone from Wexford to manage them? The answer is a resounding NO. When was the last time a Wexford man managed a top county team outside Wexford (bar John Meyler who is more of a Cork man now than a Wexford man)? In fact, has it ever happened? I know a few lads tricked around managing the likes of Wicklow but that's all that springs to my mind. Can you add anymore?

Liam Griffin
Tony Dempsey
John Conran
Seamus Murphy
John Meyler
Liam Dunne

Is there any other Wexford man who has managed a Liam McCarthy (or even Joe McDonagh) standard team in the last 25 years?

4th I don't really have an issue with as long as it's not at the expense of those with better knowledge of the local scene.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1204 - 25/11/2020 00:44:35    2315074

Link

Replying To Purpleandgold72:  ""His only achievement so far is beating a Dublin team"...and what exactly did you expect him to achieve in a football county where the hurling team are according to himself very much the poor relations when it come to funding etc...they're not going to challenge for Leinster Titles or All Ireland's are they!! He did all he could with Laois in winning a joe mcdonagh cup to get them up to the top tier of championship hurling and they beat a very good Dublin team who had beaten Galway a few weeks previously and who we only managed to draw with earlier that season. As regards his Kilkenny u21 management career he did slip up against Westmeath but the following year he steered them to an all Ireland final after winning a Leinster title that same year. I don't think Wexford could afford to overlook a manager as good as Eddie Brennan. I reckon he'd be a damn sight better than the current manager and it's a pity Davy Fitzgerald didn't do the honourable thing and step down last week. We could have had Brennan in the hot seat for 2021"
Overlook a manager as good as Eddie Brennan? Seriously? What has he achieved in his managerial career to date that is better than Davy? Lost to Westmeath at U21, beat them the following year, as well as Dublin and a really, really, poor Wexford side, before dismantling the mighty Derry to then lose in the final to Limerick. I'm not sure I'd be anointing him as some sort of coaching guru after that. He's done fine at Laois, his biggest achievement is getting the players to commit, where their club scene is such a mess that players wont go into the county panel in previous years. They beat Carlow by a point to stay in Div 1 this year, which is not entirely unexpected nor anything to write home about either They caught Dublin on the hop, which Dublin more than rectified a year later.

In short, Eddie Brennan is vastly over rated as a manager in his short time so far. Hailing him as better than someone who has won provincial titles at senior level with 3 counties and an all Ireland as well is ludicrous.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 558 - 25/11/2020 10:48:37    2315107

Link

Replying To james2011:  "Overlook a manager as good as Eddie Brennan? Seriously? What has he achieved in his managerial career to date that is better than Davy? Lost to Westmeath at U21, beat them the following year, as well as Dublin and a really, really, poor Wexford side, before dismantling the mighty Derry to then lose in the final to Limerick. I'm not sure I'd be anointing him as some sort of coaching guru after that. He's done fine at Laois, his biggest achievement is getting the players to commit, where their club scene is such a mess that players wont go into the county panel in previous years. They beat Carlow by a point to stay in Div 1 this year, which is not entirely unexpected nor anything to write home about either They caught Dublin on the hop, which Dublin more than rectified a year later.

In short, Eddie Brennan is vastly over rated as a manager in his short time so far. Hailing him as better than someone who has won provincial titles at senior level with 3 counties and an all Ireland as well is ludicrous."
Eddie is flavour of the month at the moment, around 2016 in Dunne's last year there was a clamour around Frank Flannery after managing oulart to win leinster.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2601 - 25/11/2020 12:13:33    2315153

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Eddie is flavour of the month at the moment, around 2016 in Dunne's last year there was a clamour around Frank Flannery after managing oulart to win leinster."
Frank is in with the Harriers now is he?

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 558 - 25/11/2020 13:16:17    2315196

Link

Replying To james2011:  "Frank is in with the Harriers now is he?"
That's news to me anyway, remember hearing he was with Ballysaggart in Waterford this year when club stuff was in full flight. Think he was involved in Westmeath for a year or 2 after his oulart stint.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2601 - 25/11/2020 13:22:25    2315200

Link

Replying To james2011:  "Frank is in with the Harriers now is he?"
Derek McGrath back with Harriers next year

lefty (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 25/11/2020 14:00:08    2315217

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "That's news to me anyway, remember hearing he was with Ballysaggart in Waterford this year when club stuff was in full flight. Think he was involved in Westmeath for a year or 2 after his oulart stint."
Ah maybe so. I had thought someone mentioned it to me that he was in with the Harriers. Someone had their wires crossed!

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 558 - 25/11/2020 14:32:06    2315238

Link