Wexford Forum

Divers, Players Feigning Injury

(Oldest Posts First)

I wasn't really sure what title to put on this, maybe someone will come up with a better one !!

A friend has just shown me a video clip from his phone, taken at a senior football match last weekend. 2 players were "squaring up" to each other, just the usual grabbing jerseys and pushing & shoving. 1 player takes a wild swipe which missed the target by several inches. The other player went down like he'd been shot, holding his face. While the left swipe looked clumsy, the dive was only embarrassing.
It really is awful to see this kind of behavior in our games, can any action be taken against players feigning injury, similar to the " simulation" rule in soccer ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 393 - 17/04/2018 18:08:24    2093635

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "I wasn't really sure what title to put on this, maybe someone will come up with a better one !!

A friend has just shown me a video clip from his phone, taken at a senior football match last weekend. 2 players were "squaring up" to each other, just the usual grabbing jerseys and pushing & shoving. 1 player takes a wild swipe which missed the target by several inches. The other player went down like he'd been shot, holding his face. While the left swipe looked clumsy, the dive was only embarrassing.
It really is awful to see this kind of behavior in our games, can any action be taken against players feigning injury, similar to the " simulation" rule in soccer ?"
This is going on for years unfortunately its part of the win at all cost mentality, if I'm not mistaken its a common tactic of many county teams including our own

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 17/04/2018 23:53:59    2093692

Link

nothing new here

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 18/04/2018 08:46:27    2093708

Link

I do realise it's been going on for a while but when I watched the embarrassing dive it really brought it home to me the depths that some people will stoop to.
It's cheating, plain and simple.

Can anyone tell me if officials, referees , linesmen etc. are empowered to take any action against these cheaters ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 393 - 18/04/2018 10:05:48    2093729

Link

Is it not against the rules (and therefore cheating) to attempt to strike another player regardless of whether he connected or not??

Making something about nothing here!

LivingTheDream (Wexford) - Posts: 14 - 18/04/2018 14:01:06    2093794

Link

Replying To LivingTheDream:  "Is it not against the rules (and therefore cheating) to attempt to strike another player regardless of whether he connected or not??

Making something about nothing here!"
No, not making something out of nothing. I'm just using this example to highlight the curse that is destroying our games.

Is this the example that you want to pass on to our youngsters ? Win at all costs even if it means cheating ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 393 - 18/04/2018 14:20:54    2093800

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "No, not making something out of nothing. I'm just using this example to highlight the curse that is destroying our games.

Is this the example that you want to pass on to our youngsters ? Win at all costs even if it means cheating ?"
all you are missing is wont somebody think of the children.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 18/04/2018 15:44:43    2093812

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "all you are missing is wont somebody think of the children."
And your point is . . . . . ???

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 393 - 19/04/2018 09:44:29    2093905

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "nothing new here"
What rubbush are you talking

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 23/04/2018 21:47:48    2094633

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "No, not making something out of nothing. I'm just using this example to highlight the curse that is destroying our games.

Is this the example that you want to pass on to our youngsters ? Win at all costs even if it means cheating ?"
Is taking a swing at a player, even if missed the target, not an example of cheating??

Or doing whatever it takes or showing a bad example??

Not sure what ur point is, both players should be embarrassed really..

LivingTheDream (Wexford) - Posts: 14 - 30/04/2018 20:46:49    2095807

Link

Replying To LivingTheDream:  "Is taking a swing at a player, even if missed the target, not an example of cheating??

Or doing whatever it takes or showing a bad example??

Not sure what ur point is, both players should be embarrassed really.."
just for clarification it is an offence to strike or attempt to strike which is a straight red card
it is also an offence to feign an injury that is a yellow card offence.
so according to the letter of the law a red card and a yellow card should have been issued
in most cases the ref would tell them both to cop on - or possibly issue em both with yellow cards.

fearcliste (Wexford) - Posts: 169 - 02/05/2018 14:38:38    2096242

Link