USA Forum

Playing football in New York

(Oldest Posts First)

Am moving to New York this summer on the J1. I will be living in Long Island. Could someone please give me information on playing football in New York?

Are there clubs looking for players? Do you need transfers etc?

hornytoad (Cavan) - Posts: 141 - 14/05/2011 13:26:45    930579


Contact the Monaghan Club over here,we're always loking for good players to strengthen what is an already good team.

naclairsighabu (Monaghan) - Posts: 7 - 14/05/2011 15:18:59    930678


thanks chief!

hornytoad (Cavan) - Posts: 141 - 15/05/2011 14:11:30    931151


Well lads im finished in college for good there in the past few weeks , do i have to apply for a green card in order to go over to the States to play football and try get a job or whats the story??? Any help would be great

WonderBoy (Laois) - Posts: 217 - 24/05/2011 16:33:22    939119


This was posted as a new thread but since the subject matter is the same it has been incorporated here.

Posts: 2

New york football clubs looking for players?

Hi i am an intercounty footballer hoping to spend a few months in new york this summer. I was just wondering how to go about getting set up with a gaa club out there that might assist me in playing or getting a bit of work while i am over there. Any help would be great.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2249 - 29/02/2012 14:47:02    1119736


cork football club are always interested in senior players and will sort work

pearse9 (Cork) - Posts: 136 - 10/03/2012 11:43:49    1126293


Ok thanks for that. Is there a way I could get in touch with them or some one who might know a bit more maybe a link to to website or Facebook page. Thanks again.

wexford7 (Wexford) - Posts: 3 - 11/03/2012 17:52:13    1126894


they are on facebook

pearse9 (Cork) - Posts: 136 - 18/03/2012 11:00:50    1131496


"A chara,

You will be aware that An Coiste Bainisti made a decision at their last meeting that all players who seek to receive a sanction to the North American, New York or Canadian County Board areas must obtain insurance cover from the GAA before a sanction can be granted.

This insurance cover will cost €40 and sanctions will not be processed going forward unless this insurance has been purchased, and receipt of purchase is submitted with a sanction application

Therefore, players who wish to receive a sanction to the NACB area, New York or Canada (or a Weekend Authorization in the case of New York) will need to purchase their sanction insurance at insurance where the €40 fee can be paid by Laser, Visa or Mastercard. After completion the player will receive a receipt by email. If the Sanction request is submitted by post, this receipt must be printed out and attached to the request; alternatively if the sanction is submitted by email this receipt must accompany the sanction form.

Where an individual is not in a position to register online, Postal or Money Orders to the value of €40 can be attached to postal requests.

I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that any player who has been included on an Inter County Senior Championship panel in 2012 (i,e. whose name is on the list submitted to the Referee for a Championship game) is not eligible for a Sanction to the North American County Board Area, unless he holds a valid J1 visa or meets the requirements to obtain same...."

Weekend sanction to New York? What?

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 27/03/2012 14:56:23    1138238