Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sligonian:  "I was thinking the same thing Republican. Mark could definitely do a job for us on the field. I am not sold on Martin McHughs experience that you mention newsligofan. He would have to do a very strong interview to convince me otherwise. I think it's obvious why I think Mark would be involved.

Martinjoe and Bawner both mentioned Mickey Harte. His going to Louth proves that we could of course have got him. We are closer geographically. Both in the same division. We have more potential and a better chance of provinicial silverware. Now they get 3 years of development under his experience. I would have sounded him out and moved mountains to get him if I was on the selection committee.

I remember when Taylor got the job and some of the names I mentioned you would get ridiculed and now again you would have people thinking no chance. Then you look at Hyland to Leitrim and now Harte to Louth and you realise who the limited thinkers are.

This is clear evidence of the lack of ambition and vision within Sligo GAA and why we need change, not just the manager. We keep missing opportunities. What could have been? Some pressure on Sligo now. Can't go low that's for sure.

All bets are off for me now, go for McGuinness or Malachy. Sound them out at the very least.

Fair play to Louth it must be said."
Heard this evening Tony Mc Entee from Armagh in for sligo job along with Joe Keane to stay on as coach .

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 23/11/2020 23:22:37    2314408

Link

I heard that alex ferguson and martin o neill going to go for it now ,and get roy keane out of retirement and transfer to sligo and sit in as centre back:)

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 140 - 24/11/2020 10:44:47    2314519

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "I heard that alex ferguson and martin o neill going to go for it now ,and get roy keane out of retirement and transfer to sligo and sit in as centre back:)"
Is there a need for your sarcastic comment.
Tony Mc Entee is in for the job and after him winning so many senior club and county medal, also managing Crossmaglen to 2 all Ireland and selector with Mayo for 3 years i think he would be an excellent choice for Sligo, eh but what would I know maybe your right Alex Ferguson would be a better choice......Timmy86 you know your football.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 24/11/2020 11:04:29    2314532

Link

I mentioned Harte here a couple of weeks ago. sometimes people forget that these big names are GAA men to the core and love coaching. People in top table jobs in counties when tasked to get a manager should be drawing up a list and aim for the stars the first 2 men on any list should be McGuinness and Harte what's the worst they will say only no. I get the feeling in weaker counties the vision isn't there and immediately say sure they won't manage here and dismiss it before even having the conversation with them. For Sligo on a scale of 1-10 McGunniess is 10 and Taylor was 1. The problem Sligo have is the last number of years I'd say the best manager you had was about a 5 at best.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 214 - 24/11/2020 11:21:47    2314550

Link

Whatever about McEntee surely a clean cut is needed from the last management team. All this talk about great training didn't lead to results. Trainer is huge part of set-up and word is that Keane had more input than any one else. Clean sweep needed. 'Players like him' is not a reason for keeping him on, the opposite in fact. O'Hara has earned his go at it. Comfort zones will vanish quickly everywhere, and it's a bit of disruption is needed. Nonsense here that the county board are afraid he'll break the back. Is it that we'll pay an outside man who'll sail off in a couple of years what he wants but not someone who has the long term interests of Sligo at heart?

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 24/11/2020 17:04:09    2314805

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I mentioned Harte here a couple of weeks ago. sometimes people forget that these big names are GAA men to the core and love coaching. People in top table jobs in counties when tasked to get a manager should be drawing up a list and aim for the stars the first 2 men on any list should be McGuinness and Harte what's the worst they will say only no. I get the feeling in weaker counties the vision isn't there and immediately say sure they won't manage here and dismiss it before even having the conversation with them. For Sligo on a scale of 1-10 McGunniess is 10 and Taylor was 1. The problem Sligo have is the last number of years I'd say the best manager you had was about a 5 at best."
I love how complimentary you are to our managers marking them out if 10, what would you give out of 10 to Hyland who brought you from Div 4 up to 3 and back down to 4 in 2 years without winning a championship game in Connacht at the same time ?? I have to eat humble pie and say that I never thought Harte would manage again. I have no idea why he would want to tarnish his excellent reputation by taking on a Div 4 team ?. I suppose he didn't want a team in Ulster where he would come up against his beloved Tyrone. The closest county for him outside of Ulster is Louth. They are a better team than us at present. Div 4 will be a mine field next year.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 791 - 24/11/2020 17:11:00    2314811

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I love how complimentary you are to our managers marking them out if 10, what would you give out of 10 to Hyland who brought you from Div 4 up to 3 and back down to 4 in 2 years without winning a championship game in Connacht at the same time ?? I have to eat humble pie and say that I never thought Harte would manage again. I have no idea why he would want to tarnish his excellent reputation by taking on a Div 4 team ?. I suppose he didn't want a team in Ulster where he would come up against his beloved Tyrone. The closest county for him outside of Ulster is Louth. They are a better team than us at present. Div 4 will be a mine field next year."
I'd personally rate Hyland around a 6. Leitrim have improved immensely under him and getting promoted under him was a huge achievement. This year was hard to judge we had some promising results pre Covid. Drew with Derry up in Derry. Were competitive against cork. Through away the game against Offaly and hammered Louth. After Covid we should have bet tipp in the last league game. We were relatively competitive against mayo for 40 mins. Next year is where Hyland will show his worth if Leitrim can get back out of div 4 as you said it will be a mine field. The Leitrim Sligo game will be very interesting. If I was Sligo I'd be trying too see could they get O'Hara and McEntee to sit down and chat and see could they come together possibly.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 214 - 24/11/2020 17:39:04    2314825

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "Whatever about McEntee surely a clean cut is needed from the last management team. All this talk about great training didn't lead to results. Trainer is huge part of set-up and word is that Keane had more input than any one else. Clean sweep needed. 'Players like him' is not a reason for keeping him on, the opposite in fact. O'Hara has earned his go at it. Comfort zones will vanish quickly everywhere, and it's a bit of disruption is needed. Nonsense here that the county board are afraid he'll break the back. Is it that we'll pay an outside man who'll sail off in a couple of years what he wants but not someone who has the long term interests of Sligo at heart?"
I think it's positive if someone like McEntee is applying for it. You are right the trainer is a huge part of it. Keane was the trainer of Mayo getting to All Ireland finals recently which they were impeccably prepared for. How can you go from preparing Mayo to be good enough to win an All Ireland to Sligo going so low in Division 4? This is my biggest concern as most reasons for that then point to the players. Whatever about Taylor, his backroom was strong. That being said I do agree the new manager needs a fresh new management team with as little interference as possible. I would doubt if there is any continuity from the previous regime and as I said previously the players are in no position to dictate anything. If they loved Keane so much they should have worked harder on the field like Mayo did to implement his coaching.

Which manager is best placed to change mindset and work rate.

O Hara has earned to be part of the conversation for the Job, but nobody deserves it by right. His plan and vision has to be stronger than all other candidates to get it for me and the same for everyone else and how are you going to implement their plan. Only those interviewing will know this and unfortunately, I wouldn't trust their judgment so we can only hope for the best. If only strong candidates go for it then we should be ok. Most of the names mentioned are better than the previous of carew, corey, flanagan and taylor etc...

I would be happy with O Hara and I do think he would do a very good job but by no means do I feel it's a foregone conclusion that it's his to refuse. The best candidate with the best plan has to get it.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1528 - 24/11/2020 18:36:21    2314868

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "I think it's positive if someone like McEntee is applying for it. You are right the trainer is a huge part of it. Keane was the trainer of Mayo getting to All Ireland finals recently which they were impeccably prepared for. How can you go from preparing Mayo to be good enough to win an All Ireland to Sligo going so low in Division 4? This is my biggest concern as most reasons for that then point to the players. Whatever about Taylor, his backroom was strong. That being said I do agree the new manager needs a fresh new management team with as little interference as possible. I would doubt if there is any continuity from the previous regime and as I said previously the players are in no position to dictate anything. If they loved Keane so much they should have worked harder on the field like Mayo did to implement his coaching.

Which manager is best placed to change mindset and work rate.

O Hara has earned to be part of the conversation for the Job, but nobody deserves it by right. His plan and vision has to be stronger than all other candidates to get it for me and the same for everyone else and how are you going to implement their plan. Only those interviewing will know this and unfortunately, I wouldn't trust their judgment so we can only hope for the best. If only strong candidates go for it then we should be ok. Most of the names mentioned are better than the previous of carew, corey, flanagan and taylor etc...

I would be happy with O Hara and I do think he would do a very good job but by no means do I feel it's a foregone conclusion that it's his to refuse. The best candidate with the best plan has to get it."
Joe Keane is a good trainer but saying he was trainer of the Mayo team getting to the All-Ireland final is well off the mark. Stephen Rochford had Tony McIntee and Donie Buckley as his main trainers during that time. Joe was part of the set up as a selector but well down the line in terms of training. Would still have learned a lot from the likes of those guys.

Oweneast (Sligo) - Posts: 2 - 24/11/2020 20:47:31    2314960

Link

Oweneast - technically he did coach them then but of course I am not saying it was down to him alone. We can call him Selector/Assistant Trainer then. Being a selector is more influential in different ways but for him to be in both camps is a big input imo although point taken Mayo have big backroom teams so that can be diluted.

Just trying to make sense of how we have a coach that has that previous experience that we are where we are?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1528 - 24/11/2020 21:35:49    2314993

Link

Replying To Oweneast:  "Joe Keane is a good trainer but saying he was trainer of the Mayo team getting to the All-Ireland final is well off the mark. Stephen Rochford had Tony McIntee and Donie Buckley as his main trainers during that time. Joe was part of the set up as a selector but well down the line in terms of training. Would still have learned a lot from the likes of those guys."
Keane highly regarded as a coach in Mayo. He did coach an All Ireland winning Mayo team with Mike Solan and then under Buckley for 2 years.
I think O'Hara deserves a chance at it now though and he also has Mike Solan with him.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 24/11/2020 22:02:58    2315015

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Oweneast - technically he did coach them then but of course I am not saying it was down to him alone. We can call him Selector/Assistant Trainer then. Being a selector is more influential in different ways but for him to be in both camps is a big input imo although point taken Mayo have big backroom teams so that can be diluted.

Just trying to make sense of how we have a coach that has that previous experience that we are where we are?"
I totally see where you are coming from but not sure how much experience he actually had before Sligo. Was part of the Mayo U21 All-Ireland winning team but if you check it out Keane was only promoted to a Mayo Senior selectors role in 2018 when Mayo finished the season beaten by Kildare. For their 2 All-Ireland final appearances he had no involvement in training. Was an opposition analyst in 2017 and had nothing to do with the team in 2016. Nothing against him at all but a clean slate here is what's needed and O Hara is probably best placed to do that

Oweneast (Sligo) - Posts: 2 - 24/11/2020 22:23:07    2315033

Link

I think convention this year should be on hoganstand ,all the great ideas %)

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 140 - 24/11/2020 22:27:55    2315035

Link

Replying To Sligohearty:  "Keane highly regarded as a coach in Mayo. He did coach an All Ireland winning Mayo team with Mike Solan and then under Buckley for 2 years.
I think O'Hara deserves a chance at it now though and he also has Mike Solan with him."
If Mike Solan is part of Eamon's set up that's incredibly exciting.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1528 - 24/11/2020 23:15:38    2315057

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "If Mike Solan is part of Eamon's set up that's incredibly exciting."
Mike Solan exciting, why?.
What will he bring to the job, wonder what role is he coming in as. Mike Solan known as manager.
He was Mayo u21 manager for a number of years and won an All Ireland but in fairness to Keane he was the coach that year. Just wondering does anyone question his experience. Sligo seems to be a great way for him to get experience with senior inter County but is that what we need at the Moment?
Whatever happens it will be an interesting year ahead. O'Hara deserves it with what he has done with Tourlestrand but I think Mc Entee would be very good too. Not sure what Solan would bring and Keane has an all Ireland medal as a footballer and coach and a number of years at senior football experience???
Sligo football maybe in good hands next year either way.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 25/11/2020 11:21:15    2315124

Link

There are a fair few new posters on here lately and reading between the lines they have affiliations with various management camps.

My understanding is it's between O Hara/Mike Solan V McEntee/Keane.

Looking from the outside I would give it to O Hara/Mike Solan. I have long said the culture and mindset is the biggest change required in Sligo GAA. I rate Keane as everyone knows but that question remains as to why things got worse under his coaching. It doesn't make sense. We need a fresh approach to avoid that. I like McEntee and look I do believe he would improve us for sure.

Why do I like Mike Solan, he won a U21 All Ireland with Mayo as a manager in 2016, they won the Connacht final by 1pt, they beat a highly rated Dublin team by 1pt and beat Cork by scoring 5-7 in the final. He got a Mayo team to turn up for a final mentally. They won close games. He went for the Mayo job last time when Horan came back. He's not lacking ambition. He has worked with underage players and developing them which is key as our squad is so young. O Hara is a born winner, Mike Solan is born winner so for me it's an exciting prospect. Imagine the mentality change, standards change, man-management change, tactical change, set up, etc.... these 2 would bring.

I honestly would love this appointment.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1528 - 25/11/2020 18:33:13    2315362

Link