Louth Forum

Louth V Westmeath 2010

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Young_gael:  "Anyway the message that can be taken from this is that when it comes to Irish counties, none has so many historic rivalries or land borders as Meath; Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Dublin, Kildare, Offaly, Westmeath, and the sea. That and very dubious football rivalries with Louth in the 40s and 50s, which Louth largely dominated by the way, rivalry with Cavan in the 30s-50s, rivalry with Offaly in the 70s, 80s and 90s to a lesser extent (but always a mutual respect), and an infamous rivalry with Dublin currently in hibernation. That and the fact that Meath has always acheived more than any of these counties bar the Dubs, and has only lost to Westmeath once in the championship, and decades since losing to Offaly or Louth, along with largely being the stronger over the years vs. Kildare in what is seen by the Lillies as a rivalry but really isnt, always a damp squib of a game. Westmeath/ Louth/ Cavan go to war everytime the counties meet. When Meath won the centenary cup in 1984 they beat their neighbours Monaghan in the final, and Monaghan beat Meath in the Div.2 final of 2005, thanks to a last second goal. To be fair there isnt much of a rivalry between Meath/Monaghan but these are examples of big games nonetheless. There are pages and pages of articles about all of these teams in matches vs. Meath and the prevalence of last minute goals, replays, scandals, no luck, incidents with fans etc are all very interesting reading. To be honest, Meath has the one-up on almost all of these counties and the rivalries are very real around the border areas, hence these incidents of stone throwing, hecklers, black flags, cocky fans, pub fights, car parades etc. Its just part and parcel of football in the north-east and north midlands of the country; everyone hates Meath. And that doesent even touch on the mud-slinging that goes on with Cork, Mayo, and Tyrone when Meath meet them in games so in ways, its an All-Ireland thing. The Louth/Meath rivalry is a particularly spicy one I will say, from the Louth side there really isnt any love lost, and after 2002 and 2010 I understand why."
Louth played Meath every year in a row from 1945 to 1953. This included a replay in 1950 and 1951 and two replays in 1949. They played each other 13 times during this period with Louth winning 4 times, Meath 5 times and there were 4 draws. Between 1947 and 1954 the Leinster Championship was either won by Louth or Meath. Meath won 5 titles and and Louth won 3 titles. They played each other in two Leinster finals during this period. Louth won after a replay in 1950 and Meath won in 1952. The amazing thing about these matches was that the winning team only one by a point or two.

1953 was a great year for the Wee County as it was the only time that the Seniors and Minors won the Leinster Championship in the same year. The Seniors beat Wexford and the Minors beat Kildare. 1935, 1937, 1958 and 1960 are the only other years that both Louth Seniors and Minors reach the Leinster Finals in the same year.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 07/07/2020 20:45:35    2283405

Link

Young Gael
A little boy with an awful lot to say on the Louth forum. My god you must have nothing else to do. Have you no friends in Meath??

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1562 - 07/07/2020 23:07:42    2283418

Link

Replying To Ollie2:  "Louth played Meath every year in a row from 1945 to 1953. This included a replay in 1950 and 1951 and two replays in 1949. They played each other 13 times during this period with Louth winning 4 times, Meath 5 times and there were 4 draws. Between 1947 and 1954 the Leinster Championship was either won by Louth or Meath. Meath won 5 titles and and Louth won 3 titles. They played each other in two Leinster finals during this period. Louth won after a replay in 1950 and Meath won in 1952. The amazing thing about these matches was that the winning team only one by a point or two.

1953 was a great year for the Wee County as it was the only time that the Seniors and Minors won the Leinster Championship in the same year. The Seniors beat Wexford and the Minors beat Kildare. 1935, 1937, 1958 and 1960 are the only other years that both Louth Seniors and Minors reach the Leinster Finals in the same year."
That's great reading, very interesting how times have changed, and saddening. The old provincial rivalries of the past must have been a sight to behold in their time! My grandfather used to go to Meath matches as a young lad in the 40s, and 50s, and maintains to this day that Leinster football was at its peak in this time. Maybe its to do with boyhood, but seeing your statistics paints a very interesting picture in Leinster at the time.

Young_gael (Meath) - Posts: 393 - 08/07/2020 15:01:29    2283500

Link

Sorry lads to have invaded your page with comments, honestly meant no harm and I just tend to use the forums when I'm bored so I tend to say a lot, I must admit I don't like acting the maggot or making smart remarks and such, so I usually call it out, but it's grand, no harm done. I'll leave you with one more story then I'll head off, and this is actually a positive one I hope we can all appreciate. On the topic of my grandfather and history; in his days in the old Kells CBS in the late '40s, the schoolboys used to play matches every year against the neighboring towns, sort of like a local cup to keep the boys busy and interested in football, you can imagine these were very tough kids, and the wealthier schools didn't partake and didn't want to partake, it was strictly CBS from what he told me. Anyway county boundaries didn't come into play so it was pretty much a few months of training and being on the road against local towns in Co. Meath and Co. Louth. The big game for the Kells lads was always vs. Navan and similarly with Drogheda vs. Navan. The poor Navan lads tended to get a serious hiding, not always on the scoresheet but it was a different game as we all know. The Trim lads were always out on their own, minding their own business and no one seemed to care about them, and from what he said the boys from Dundalk were as hard as iron and he used to hate going up to Chapel street in Dundalk for the day, his legs would always be black and blue and red raw. It was very hard fought and there was big respect on all sides. Anyway he met several dozen lads, made good friends with many future county-men, Leinster and All-Ireland winners, and several of which he knew/ knows for life; still goes over to Drogheda once a year to meet one or two to this day. Those were different times, when the links between the two counties were closer and more appreciated and the GAA hit people's lives in different ways. I genuinely mean it when I say it'd be great if the two counties could live up to those old days. Anyway lads again sorry if I gave off bad vibes, and looking forward to the discussions in the future.

Young_gael (Meath) - Posts: 393 - 08/07/2020 15:39:48    2283509

Link

Replying To Young_gael:  "Sorry lads to have invaded your page with comments, honestly meant no harm and I just tend to use the forums when I'm bored so I tend to say a lot, I must admit I don't like acting the maggot or making smart remarks and such, so I usually call it out, but it's grand, no harm done. I'll leave you with one more story then I'll head off, and this is actually a positive one I hope we can all appreciate. On the topic of my grandfather and history; in his days in the old Kells CBS in the late '40s, the schoolboys used to play matches every year against the neighboring towns, sort of like a local cup to keep the boys busy and interested in football, you can imagine these were very tough kids, and the wealthier schools didn't partake and didn't want to partake, it was strictly CBS from what he told me. Anyway county boundaries didn't come into play so it was pretty much a few months of training and being on the road against local towns in Co. Meath and Co. Louth. The big game for the Kells lads was always vs. Navan and similarly with Drogheda vs. Navan. The poor Navan lads tended to get a serious hiding, not always on the scoresheet but it was a different game as we all know. The Trim lads were always out on their own, minding their own business and no one seemed to care about them, and from what he said the boys from Dundalk were as hard as iron and he used to hate going up to Chapel street in Dundalk for the day, his legs would always be black and blue and red raw. It was very hard fought and there was big respect on all sides. Anyway he met several dozen lads, made good friends with many future county-men, Leinster and All-Ireland winners, and several of which he knew/ knows for life; still goes over to Drogheda once a year to meet one or two to this day. Those were different times, when the links between the two counties were closer and more appreciated and the GAA hit people's lives in different ways. I genuinely mean it when I say it'd be great if the two counties could live up to those old days. Anyway lads again sorry if I gave off bad vibes, and looking forward to the discussions in the future."
Young_Gael no need to apologise. You apologised to me over on the Meath page. It's a forum. Not everyone will agree with you. Anyway keep up the storytelling and the next time you are around Drawda pop in to the Bull and say hello. Just leave your Meath jersey at home.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 08/07/2020 18:16:58    2283520

Link

Yesterday 10 years ago was that faithful day in Ctoke park against the auld enemy. Time goes by so quick but the pain is still there. That day put Football in Louth back 25 years.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1562 - 11/07/2020 10:23:49    2283747

Link

Replying To joej:  "Yesterday 10 years ago was that faithful day in Ctoke park against the auld enemy. Time goes by so quick but the pain is still there. That day put Football in Louth back 25 years."
Joe that was ten years ago today. This time ten years ago I was in the Bull drowning my sorrows.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 11/07/2020 19:53:28    2283797

Link

Replying To Ollie2:  "Young_Gael no need to apologise. You apologised to me over on the Meath page. It's a forum. Not everyone will agree with you. Anyway keep up the storytelling and the next time you are around Drawda pop in to the Bull and say hello. Just leave your Meath jersey at home."
Sound ollie, And dont worry, I wouldnt be brave enough to wear the green/gold in the wee county!

Young_gael (Meath) - Posts: 393 - 11/07/2020 22:22:01    2283812

Link

Replying To Young_gael:  "Sound ollie, And dont worry, I wouldnt be brave enough to wear the green/gold in the wee county!"
Young_Gael you get plenty of Meath jersey's sneaking across the border to get in to Louth. It reminds of the Mexicans trying to get in to the USA.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 12/07/2020 12:44:41    2283848

Link

Replying To Ollie2:  "Young_Gael you get plenty of Meath jersey's sneaking across the border to get in to Louth. It reminds of the Mexicans trying to get in to the USA."
Ollie would you trump it?
I didn't get to your town yet to buy your book. Hope to soon.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1456 - 13/07/2020 18:14:51    2283970

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Ollie would you trump it?
I didn't get to your town yet to buy your book. Hope to soon."
19616609 I will bring a few copies with me up to Fundalk and leave them in Kennedys for you.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 14/07/2020 11:16:38    2284016

Link

Replying To Ollie2:  "19616609 I will bring a few copies with me up to Fundalk and leave them in Kennedys for you."
Ollie was in Drogheda. They all tell me it's sold out. Are you doing a reprint and/or a sequel ?

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1456 - 18/07/2020 00:29:21    2284377

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Ollie was in Drogheda. They all tell me it's sold out. Are you doing a reprint and/or a sequel ?"
19616609 its on the way. I hope you received a Drawda welcome when you were here.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 18/07/2020 15:59:58    2284429

Link

Replying To Ollie2:  "19616609 its on the way. I hope you received a Drawda welcome when you were here."
Red carpet when I mentioned Ollie

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1456 - 23/07/2020 10:31:40    2284961

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Red carpet when I mentioned Ollie"
Its the only way 19616609.

Ollie2 (Louth) - Posts: 226 - 23/07/2020 11:07:55    2284967

Link