Limerick Forum

Gem Of A Hurler

(Oldest Posts First)

I was out in the Gaelic Grounds a good few years ago and got into conversation with an elderly man who informed me that there was a gem of a hurler coming through from the Well . The young lad was about twelve at the time and this man said he was the best hurler he had ever seen at that age. The young lads name was Cian Lynch. The question i have is there any gems or very good hurlers coming through the underage ranks at the moment.

longtermfan (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 22/06/2020 21:38:46    2281574

Link

Replying To longtermfan:  "I was out in the Gaelic Grounds a good few years ago and got into conversation with an elderly man who informed me that there was a gem of a hurler coming through from the Well . The young lad was about twelve at the time and this man said he was the best hurler he had ever seen at that age. The young lads name was Cian Lynch. The question i have is there any gems or very good hurlers coming through the underage ranks at the moment."
I can think of 4 in particular that are 15 or younger (1 from the east Limerick and 3 from the city) but it would be very unfair to start discussing teenagers on a forum like this and I'd urge all posters not to start mentioning juveniles by name.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 421 - 23/06/2020 09:59:11    2281592

Link

youre right mcfann88 regarding mentioning names . Im just glad that there seems to be a few more around

longtermfan (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 23/06/2020 19:54:21    2281663

Link

Not going to mention names either. But their is a nice few from NCW starting to get on more county hurling panels. Hopefully this can continue as a town of that population would be a great asset to limerick hurling.

upthetreatyboys (Limerick) - Posts: 90 - 23/06/2020 21:28:11    2281676

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "I can think of 4 in particular that are 15 or younger (1 from the east Limerick and 3 from the city) but it would be very unfair to start discussing teenagers on a forum like this and I'd urge all posters not to start mentioning juveniles by name."
Brilliant to hear underage hurling is strong in the city after such a long time being behind other sports. At the end of the day it's where the main population is.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 200 - 23/06/2020 21:48:03    2281680

Link

Replying To upthetreatyboys:  "Not going to mention names either. But their is a nice few from NCW starting to get on more county hurling panels. Hopefully this can continue as a town of that population would be a great asset to limerick hurling."
I would also hope that the game is promoted more, in the present climate in places like Rathkeale, Drom and Abbeyfeale. If Glenmore in Kilkenny could transition from being a deeply ingrained football parish to producing fine hurling teams, why not Abbeyfeale.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 25/06/2020 10:04:44    2281785

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Brilliant to hear underage hurling is strong in the city after such a long time being behind other sports. At the end of the day it's where the main population is."
Underage hurling in the city is stronger than it was but its still light years behind Rugby and Soccer. 3 good underage club teams in the city when there should be about 6. Not a hurler in Corbally ,city centre,Thomondgate, Moyross..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 01/07/2020 09:57:22    2282494

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Underage hurling in the city is stronger than it was but its still light years behind Rugby and Soccer. 3 good underage club teams in the city when there should be about 6. Not a hurler in Corbally ,city centre,Thomondgate, Moyross.."
In terms of participation soccer is the biggest underage sport in Limerick, followed by hurling. Underage rugby has fallen off a cliff in recent years in Limerick.

Agree that there is no hurling whatsoever in the areas you mentioned and I'd add all of Ballinacurra Hyde Road and Prospect which were once strongholds for Old Christians. Ballinacurra Gaels trying at mini levels but no numbers and no support from the county or city board. Paul Browne being given a token job as GDA for the Northside of Limerick has and will do nothing without a proper development plan - the county boards inaction is a disgrace.

Dublin brought GAA to areas in the city where it had no tradition and it thrived and brought massive sustained success, we have no vision of doing the same. It would take money but Abbey Sarsfields, Ballinacurra and Old Christians should be the focus for administrators, other clubs have volunteers who can drive them on without anywhere near the level of support thats required to get city GAA on its feet outside of NaP Monaleen and Mungret. Pats have a good core for a small club and Claughaun seeing some revival underage but lots of work required there also.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 421 - 02/07/2020 12:26:17    2282691

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "In terms of participation soccer is the biggest underage sport in Limerick, followed by hurling. Underage rugby has fallen off a cliff in recent years in Limerick.

Agree that there is no hurling whatsoever in the areas you mentioned and I'd add all of Ballinacurra Hyde Road and Prospect which were once strongholds for Old Christians. Ballinacurra Gaels trying at mini levels but no numbers and no support from the county or city board. Paul Browne being given a token job as GDA for the Northside of Limerick has and will do nothing without a proper development plan - the county boards inaction is a disgrace.

Dublin brought GAA to areas in the city where it had no tradition and it thrived and brought massive sustained success, we have no vision of doing the same. It would take money but Abbey Sarsfields, Ballinacurra and Old Christians should be the focus for administrators, other clubs have volunteers who can drive them on without anywhere near the level of support thats required to get city GAA on its feet outside of NaP Monaleen and Mungret. Pats have a good core for a small club and Claughaun seeing some revival underage but lots of work required there also."
When were those areas ever strongholds though? Old Christians are only in that area because of Cbs and relied heavily on past pupils rather than locals at the start. I'm 48 now and don't ever recall old Christians having good underage teams. Ballinacurra gaels had a couple of decent underage teams in 80s alright but none after that afaik. They were ran by one or two individuals who had sons playing. Claughaun used to cater for corbally back then. A great man by the name of Paddy O Connor lived there and ran the underage in Claughaun. He and another man from there used to bring the lads over. Claughaun are a loss. They used to regularly produce limerick standard players in both codes but ate very weak now. Imo GPOs should be assigned to Christians, Claughaun and Pats to grow the game in those areas. The other clubs would never agree to it though. If the clubs are to do it themselves they will have to pay half the wages afaik. That's how it works in Dublin anyway. Only Claughaun probably can afford that.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 99 - 24/07/2020 17:54:27    2285163

Link