Leitrim Forum

10 ways to improve Leitrim Football.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Fr.spodo_gamodo:  "I see Pete McGrath has stepped down as Fermanagh manager. If the county board had any optimism they'd contact him and offer whatever it takes to get him on board for a year or two. Hes very experienced and intelligent."
Absolutely correct spodo

williewonka (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 15/07/2017 10:17:53    2016792

Link

I would love to see the county board get James Horan and literally pay him whatever he wants, give him Carte Blanche to do whatever he wants to our team and club structures. Could you imagine how we would improve them

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 465 - 15/07/2017 10:28:20    2016800

Link

James Horan would be a great choice but Pete McGrath while I would be all for his involvement in the county set up I think the game has moved on from his time. I think an appointment of someone like Horan lifts the county, Evans, O Donnell, Donegal minor manager Bonnar, that type of man gives county a lift. Money comes in and a hype and buzz is created where pride can be restored. All we seek is to be competitive, nothing more. No more cheap appointments that reek of cronyism and lack ambition.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 15/07/2017 11:14:02    2016824

Link

Replying To Fr.spodo_gamodo:  "I see Pete McGrath has stepped down as Fermanagh manager. If the county board had any optimism they'd contact him and offer whatever it takes to get him on board for a year or two. Hes very experienced and intelligent."
He didn't step down he put his name forward for another year, players had a meeting and demanded he go, grass is not always greener

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 15/07/2017 12:17:14    2016854

Link

Look at the success Horan and McGrath and that calibre of manager has had recently ... then look at us.

I've often advocated the need to head hunt a manager with a high profile to give the thing a lift and maybe give lads a reason to committ because god knows the powers that be in the county don't.

We have players abroad and on other county panels that would be 'looked after' if they were from other counties to keep them around and playing ball.

But I digress, there would have to be a fortune paid to Horan etc because that's the only carrot to a job like LM manager.

For Christ sake when you see the likes of Fergal O Donnell managing at Club Level in Longford it gives you an idea of how undesirable our job is ... I can guarantee Co Board will have paid the current management team more than O'Donnell will get for his year in Longford.

Much more of a chance to get a coach working with a Minor / U21 set up at county level to come to the fore and build a name / team for himself at Senior Inter County e.g. Nigel Dineen ROS, Padraic Davis LD Enda Gilvarry MO.

I like what Gary Donohoe and Paul Prior have done with club teams who have had small picks and youthful teams respectively in recent times, and what Enda Lyons has done at underage in terms of player development.

Could be next years U21 team with a view to Senior management in 3 years after a higher profile man has got us to a more respectable, competitive level.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 15/07/2017 15:17:38    2016933

Link

We could hardly coax Jim McGuinness from his moneybags job in China I wonder? Maybe we could throw in free entry into every entertainment in the county, e.g. dances, cinema, Club 360.

But seriously, when was the last time we had even a half-decent manager in charge of the senior county team?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 567 - 15/07/2017 16:09:46    2016965

Link

With a more condensed county championship next year I hope our county board is already planning for next year. Also I hope club's submit a proposal next year to have championships and leagues aligned with Seniors and Intermediate teams brought down to 8 teams each. Bring back 5 divisions 4 top ones with 8 teams and 5th of Jun C/ Div 5 league with remaining teams. A good blooding ground for young players. I think if teams only had to list 11 first team players (done honestly and transparently not like some clubs do) then there would be scope to improve things immensely. Free up 2 more players to play with team in lower grade ensuring plenty of football for fringe players.
If Osnatts and Glenfarne are struggling to field teams maybe an amalgamation for a few years to get them through the lean period is best advised. County needs as many teams as possible playing competitive football.
This means club's would play 7 rd robin games in the league with semi finals and finals. All should be completed prior to start of championship.
In championship 2 groups of 4 teams, with semi finals and relegation final for bottom team in each group.
14 games is the most any team would play in the year, leaving time for a regional competition divide areas into south (Carrigallen/Aughavas/Bornacoola/Gortletteragh/ Cloone/ Mohill) West (Annaduff/St Mary's/ Leitrim Gaels/ Allen Gaels/Drumkeerin/Ballinaglera) East (Aughawillan/Drumreilly/ St Caillins/Aughnasheelin/ Sean O Heslin's/Kiltubrid) and North (Glenfarne/ Manor/ Melvin Gaels/ Dromahair/ St Osnatts and Glenfarne).
Rd robin with 2 top teams making the final.
4 games max.
Better than the Shield competition. Start League earlier. Get elite players more games. A lot of work needed.
Now time to start recruiting better referees also. Double the money and recruit players not long retired or still playing.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 22/09/2017 13:25:48    2049325

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "With a more condensed county championship next year I hope our county board is already planning for next year. Also I hope club's submit a proposal next year to have championships and leagues aligned with Seniors and Intermediate teams brought down to 8 teams each. Bring back 5 divisions 4 top ones with 8 teams and 5th of Jun C/ Div 5 league with remaining teams. A good blooding ground for young players. I think if teams only had to list 11 first team players (done honestly and transparently not like some clubs do) then there would be scope to improve things immensely. Free up 2 more players to play with team in lower grade ensuring plenty of football for fringe players.
If Osnatts and Glenfarne are struggling to field teams maybe an amalgamation for a few years to get them through the lean period is best advised. County needs as many teams as possible playing competitive football.
This means club's would play 7 rd robin games in the league with semi finals and finals. All should be completed prior to start of championship.
In championship 2 groups of 4 teams, with semi finals and relegation final for bottom team in each group.
14 games is the most any team would play in the year, leaving time for a regional competition divide areas into south (Carrigallen/Aughavas/Bornacoola/Gortletteragh/ Cloone/ Mohill) West (Annaduff/St Mary's/ Leitrim Gaels/ Allen Gaels/Drumkeerin/Ballinaglera) East (Aughawillan/Drumreilly/ St Caillins/Aughnasheelin/ Sean O Heslin's/Kiltubrid) and North (Glenfarne/ Manor/ Melvin Gaels/ Dromahair/ St Osnatts and Glenfarne).
Rd robin with 2 top teams making the final.
4 games max.
Better than the Shield competition. Start League earlier. Get elite players more games. A lot of work needed.
Now time to start recruiting better referees also. Double the money and recruit players not long retired or still playing."
I would increase the number of players to be named on the first team and hopefully that will reduce the numbers of teams each club is fielding. Why are we providing games for players who dont train? We should be tightening up our stock not spreading everything more thinly. I have made this point before, by only having to name 13 or 11 players for the first team, then the weekend that the first team are not playing you will only have pathetic training sessions at senior level because half of your team are playing junior league against a pub team thinking they are brilliant when they are not. By naming these players, they will have to train to get a game at the weekend, otherwise they wont put in any effort as they know they are guaranteed second team football where they can shine. Leitrim clubs should only be fielding two teams, 34 players. Then if you want to play, you train and get rid of rot that clubs endure with some players trying to get them out for games on Monday of a bank holiday week or whenever they fix Junior B and C matches. If these guys want to be active play 5 a side or something or else train hard like everyone else and prove that you are in the top 30-40 players in your club.

Nelson (Leitrim) - Posts: 141 - 22/09/2017 17:00:02    2049401

Link

Replying To Nelson:  "I would increase the number of players to be named on the first team and hopefully that will reduce the numbers of teams each club is fielding. Why are we providing games for players who dont train? We should be tightening up our stock not spreading everything more thinly. I have made this point before, by only having to name 13 or 11 players for the first team, then the weekend that the first team are not playing you will only have pathetic training sessions at senior level because half of your team are playing junior league against a pub team thinking they are brilliant when they are not. By naming these players, they will have to train to get a game at the weekend, otherwise they wont put in any effort as they know they are guaranteed second team football where they can shine. Leitrim clubs should only be fielding two teams, 34 players. Then if you want to play, you train and get rid of rot that clubs endure with some players trying to get them out for games on Monday of a bank holiday week or whenever they fix Junior B and C matches. If these guys want to be active play 5 a side or something or else train hard like everyone else and prove that you are in the top 30-40 players in your club."
Hardline approach Nelson, I think the drop off rate of footballers after minor is huge. I can think of big players this weekend who learned their trade in lower teams for their clubs and are now cutting their teeth at senior level.
The flip side of your argument is by naming 13/15 lads you have lads whose form dips get dropped early on and now can't play anymore league in big clubs. They walk away. Never to return. We can't lose numbers. We can't afford to. Corofin have a catchment area of 35000. I know a first team club last year had to use 34 different players in the league due to travels exams injuries etc. Without those extra bodies wjhether most of them trained or not they would have had to concede games. That's unfair on the lads that train and the opposition. There has to be a balance struck. Some lads love games, best training session of all really. In lower divisions you can try things and punishment for mistakes is never as harsh.
Whatever we are doing as a county has not been working for nearly 20 years. There is no easy fix I am afraid but like you Nelson at least we are discussing stuff. There are too many happy with the level we are at.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 22/09/2017 18:43:45    2049424

Link