Kerry Forum

Kerry National League 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great to win a national title again even in these strange circumstances. Delighted with the win but I won't get carried away with the score as Donegal understandably so very weakened today. Great showing by Tony Brosnan again but again Paudie not getting his chance. Anyway great to be league champs and onwards and upwards now for two weeks time.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 705 - 24/10/2020 15:48:35    2300764

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya but that Donegal team are young but will be flying and they'll be trying to impress bonnar for next week, and I wouldn't be surprised if they bate us.

Hon the kingdom."
Congratulations to Kerry; a fine achievement on winning the league. Donegal couldn't lay a hand on ye. Ominous signs for everyone else, even Da Dub5. I pity poor Cork. It'll be a cricket score in PUC.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 37 - 24/10/2020 15:52:43    2300769

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Congratulations to Kerry; a fine achievement on winning the league. Donegal couldn't lay a hand on ye. Ominous signs for everyone else, even Da Dub5. I pity poor Cork. It'll be a cricket score in PUC."
Thanks username or is it that Fionn fella? There's so many of ye around its hard to keep up.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 24/10/2020 16:14:54    2300782

Link

Gavin White take a boy son, and Tony Brosnan certainly made his case for starting against Cork. DC was DC, SOS had a great game too. The half backs as a whole caused Donegal huge trouble.

We won't be getting carried away at all, but always good to add to the trophy cabinet.

21 titles, not bad for a county that usually never takes the League too seriously.

Please God DC will be lifting two more cups before Santa Claus comes :D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 24/10/2020 16:17:17    2300785

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Congratulations to Kerry; a fine achievement on winning the league. Donegal couldn't lay a hand on ye. Ominous signs for everyone else, even Da Dub5. I pity poor Cork. It'll be a cricket score in PUC."
Thanks Forever young but while we delighted to win a national title we not getting carried away. Donegal rested a lot of their big guns and the game was played like a challenge with no hard tackling. Championship will be a different affair but for now we will enjoy this.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 705 - 24/10/2020 16:23:22    2300791

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Great to win a national title again even in these strange circumstances. Delighted with the win but I won't get carried away with the score as Donegal understandably so very weakened today. Great showing by Tony Brosnan again but again Paudie not getting his chance. Anyway great to be league champs and onwards and upwards now for two weeks time."
Ya Donegal missing a few big players and understandably so but in fairness we were missing the 2 Spillanes sherwood Geaney JOD.

Well done to our kerry team today all you can do is win your own games and we did that so we've league title number 21 in the bag now and like the the hermit said above winning breeds confidence especially with these young lads.

Our new defensive system seems to be working well so far and I could see Tommy Griffin putting our boys through their paces in the warm up I'd say with Donie Buckley gone Tommy has full control of that sector now.

Hi we could get used to winning these big titles at home, it's a massive advantage in fairness.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 24/10/2020 16:33:41    2300801

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya Donegal missing a few big players and understandably so but in fairness we were missing the 2 Spillanes sherwood Geaney JOD.

Well done to our kerry team today all you can do is win your own games and we did that so we've league title number 21 in the bag now and like the the hermit said above winning breeds confidence especially with these young lads.

Our new defensive system seems to be working well so far and I could see Tommy Griffin putting our boys through their paces in the warm up I'd say with Donie Buckley gone Tommy has full control of that sector now.

Hi we could get used to winning these big titles at home, it's a massive advantage in fairness."
Well what possible justification is there for playing in Croker at the moment?

If the Dub$ had any cahonas they should have no trouble playing a big game down the country this championship!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 24/10/2020 16:42:01    2300808

Link

Any day you win a national league is a good day, however David Clifford's acceptance of the cup summed up how every Kerry fan is currently feeling.. yeah great, thanks but we have bigger fish to fry in two weeks.
Gavin White appears to have gotten stronger, he played very well today. I don't think he would have done that 2 years ago. Burns was suspect again today, not much coming from me, a person who played most of his life in Division 5, but you would have to feel for other players not getting a run. I don't think Burns is an asset to the panel but I would love if I was made to eat humble pie.
Tony Brosnan is a fine player. At the moment if Kerry team had to be picked and everyone was 100% fit, it would be Geaney Clifford and Brosnan full forward line.
We can't really gauge much from that game.
Donegal left Neil McGee, Ryan McHugh, Michael Murphy and Paddy McBrearty at home and Hugh McFadden didn't even come on.
As Peter Keane said in the post match interview, staying healthy is the biggest concern for the management. I believe there is only two things that could stop Kerry this year... Dublin or COVID.....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 87 - 24/10/2020 16:49:33    2300811

Link

It won't be a cricket score. We only beat Cork by 3 points last year in the Munster Final and this Cork team have made massive improvements in past 12 months. Cork love running the ball down the middle which has been our achilles heel in the past, however I do think that we can all see that Kerry are getting better on the defensive end each game. I predict they will win it by 4 or 5 but it won't be a cricket score....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 87 - 24/10/2020 16:54:36    2300819

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well what possible justification is there for playing in Croker at the moment?

If the Dub$ had any cahonas they should have no trouble playing a big game down the country this championship!"
But sure the dub$ will play where ever they're told to play the hermit, it's every1 else fault by all accounts that they have to play their games in Croker , they're only going to get 4 of their 5 championship games at home this year god love them.

Anyway im going to get pissed :-) got to enjoy these victories when they come.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 24/10/2020 17:25:34    2300843

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "But sure the dub$ will play where ever they're told to play the hermit, it's every1 else fault by all accounts that they have to play their games in Croker , they're only going to get 4 of their 5 championship games at home this year god love them.

Anyway im going to get pissed :-) got to enjoy these victories when they come."
Way ahead of you buddy, the Heino is going down well...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 24/10/2020 18:01:38    2300864

Link

Well that's a well deserved league trophy, well done to all concerned, what strikes me most regarding the play is how defensive and solid we have become, in the recent two games Ryan has not had to make a save and a defense that was porous in the past has a more solidified look about it.

As K'boy alluded to and it's a though that crossed my head in the second quarter, is how strong and disciplined we have become in the tackle, that and how physical certain players have become. Time and time again today and looking back on it last weekend up north we turned over play with disciplined, intelligent and precise tackling, perfect all in time and structured defending and then capable to attack in block with more clever or calculated shot selections.

We have a very high percentage scoring to attack ration. It would appear that Donie Buckley didn't fit into the current management structure and may actually have upset the equilibrium of the winning minor trio.

In fairness to Pk, two years in charge, we have been at top table since, league final last year, league title this year, all Ireland final and repay last year were just a bit of luck and composure could have seen us prevail in the drawn game.

Player wise, we have seriously bulked, it is very evident in players like Moynihan, O'Connor, Seanie, and O'Beagleach the are all big men now, strong in the tackle and well able to mix it.

As for a C'ship XV that is maybe for another day but we have amassed a tidy panel and looking at the last few games there would appear to be only a two or three places up for grabs.

I was very impressed too with our subs today, like last week the returning players were very fresh and in tune with the game, no players appear rusty or unfit, every one looks match fit.

It was very evident too today that we had worked on a kickout strategy with two or three different rehearsed set plays where everyone collectively knew their role.

Regardless, PK in his interview said that Sunday week is the primary focus and it looks like most of the homework and prep is moving in the right direction in this regard.

Hav ego be really pleased but key for me is our defensive set up, physicality and more importantly the emergence of an effective kick out strategy.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4879 - 24/10/2020 18:33:14    2300888

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Way ahead of you buddy, the Heino is going down well..."
OMG Hermit, Ah Christ would you walk into Parker's and as for a 'Heino" ........ I doubt it....only slagging, but ya agree lads I'm raising the glass of vino as we speak.. you always celebrate when you win - regardless of competition. ... it isn't often a national trophy is in the Kingdom.. first throw of three fingers crossed..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4879 - 24/10/2020 19:04:42    2300908

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "OMG Hermit, Ah Christ would you walk into Parker's and as for a 'Heino" ........ I doubt it....only slagging, but ya agree lads I'm raising the glass of vino as we speak.. you always celebrate when you win - regardless of competition. ... it isn't often a national trophy is in the Kingdom.. first throw of three fingers crossed.."
Says the man supping his red wine!! If there's one thing I'll never understand or get roped into its bloody wine drinking, red wine especially. If there's nothing else at the table I can just about stomach a glass of white (all the better with some 7up through it ;D) but red wine?! Christ its hard tack.

P.S. there's only one thing to drink in Parker's and that's porter, it would be a crime to be there and not taste the quality of black stuff in those taps!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5847 - 24/10/2020 19:29:16    2300922

Link

Well done to all. League champions.. On words and up words to croker and the dubs. They will be without there sixthenth man. The shower on the hill I do wonder where they are as they are usually in anfield or old Trafford at this time of the year. Whistling or jerring as they do on the hill

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 618 - 24/10/2020 19:41:37    2300930

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Says the man supping his red wine!! If there's one thing I'll never understand or get roped into its bloody wine drinking, red wine especially. If there's nothing else at the table I can just about stomach a glass of white (all the better with some 7up through it ;D) but red wine?! Christ its hard tack.

P.S. there's only one thing to drink in Parker's and that's porter, it would be a crime to be there and not taste the quality of black stuff in those taps!!"
True for you, either way we'll raise a collective glass of our own preferred poison. It's a good day in bleak times

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4879 - 24/10/2020 20:31:13    2300941

Link

Very good performance, I'm sure we're all very happy with it. I thought Tom O'Sullivan, White and Brosnan were outstanding. Murphy, Moran, Sean O'Shea and Moynihan also very good. It's great to see Brosnan doing it this level, 6 points from play is a fantastic return. He has the ability and he's earned the number 13 jersey against Cork. As as has been mentioned the defence was excellent, we're more organised defensively than we have been in years which will only help us going forward. It's great to have so many options with Geaney, Sherwood, Adrian Spillane and O'Donoghue all to come back available to Peter Keane.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 24/10/2020 20:51:40    2300952

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Way ahead of you buddy, the Heino is going down well..."
I have 14 cans of Carlsberg in the fridge well its down to 12 now bud :-) , i might have a few Bacardis later to finish myself off, I have the game taped from today and I'm starting the kerry Mayo replay from 2014 followed by the final so yeehaw.

Cheers to ye my Kerry brothers on here and up the mighty kingdom who have given us some great days in the past fair play to them and hopefully more in the future.

The boys are in the parade now and Marty and Tommy carr are giving us the commentary :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 24/10/2020 21:02:30    2300960

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Very good performance, I'm sure we're all very happy with it. I thought Tom O'Sullivan, White and Brosnan were outstanding. Murphy, Moran, Sean O'Shea and Moynihan also very good. It's great to see Brosnan doing it this level, 6 points from play is a fantastic return. He has the ability and he's earned the number 13 jersey against Cork. As as has been mentioned the defence was excellent, we're more organised defensively than we have been in years which will only help us going forward. It's great to have so many options with Geaney, Sherwood, Adrian Spillane and O'Donoghue all to come back available to Peter Keane."
Ya I'm not getting the heart stopping that I was getting in years gone by kerry15 when players run at our defence.

Today when foley got black carded and we were down 3 points to 2 at the water break I thought we were in trouble but our boys stood up and scored 2:4 while we were down to 14 men, I know Donegal were missing lads but they still had 15 against 14.

Brosnan is a godsend he takes some of the weight from Cliffords shoulders, usually you'd notice if David didn't score in a half but today you didn't, Brosnan has an amazing burst of speed and change of direction where you think he's not tuned in and then he's on the ball, a few of his points today were goal chances but he's easing himself in and did the right thing but the time will come when he'll need to bury a few of them but that's down the road.

IV been so impressed with White he's so much more comfortable at wingback instead of wingforward like he was last year the same as Paul Murphy, Ronan Buckley was solid today did nothing wrong but played conservatively, I know burns does a lot of work off the ball but for me he still hold on to the ball too long, forwards live off the fast ball and for me he slows it down a fraction too much, great club player but I don't think he has it at intercounty ( hope I'm wrong) I would love to have seen Paud Clifford he has amazing vission but maybe not burns workrate, Moynihan is some capall obair and reminds me of a small Donnacha Walsh although Walsh would have stuck that goal :-)

Ryan's kickouts were better today bar 1 over the sideline.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11826 - 24/10/2020 21:51:51    2300978

Link