Longford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

this is going to be a mullinlaghta killoe final, the rest of the matches are a formality as far as i can tell. the chance was there to get mullinlaghta knocked out but colmcille didn't take it. it has the makings of a cracking final. can't call it just yet as want to see how convincing killoe are on the way to the final first. expect mullinlaghat to beat slashers easily. ardagh should win intermediate too

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 09/09/2020 10:11:54    2291252

Link

Killoe V Mostrim this Friday with Clonguish's fate hanging in the balance?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 09/09/2020 10:25:41    2291256

Link

Killoe havent done anything since the 7th of August. But they will be mad for action now with everything that has happend. Should have enough to beat mostrim by a few.
Think clonguish need a 6 point killoe win, wont happen. They are as good as out. Mostrim will get what they need

honlongford (Longford) - Posts: 139 - 09/09/2020 13:58:29    2291298

Link

Replying To honlongford:  "Killoe havent done anything since the 7th of August. But they will be mad for action now with everything that has happend. Should have enough to beat mostrim by a few.
Think clonguish need a 6 point killoe win, wont happen. They are as good as out. Mostrim will get what they need"
Think you're right there, always a close game between killoe and mostrim. Two draws last year in league and championship.

Stato53 (Longford) - Posts: 11 - 09/09/2020 14:33:06    2291309

Link

Killoe will not fancy meeting Abbeylara in the Quarters if that happens. It would not surprise me in the least if stale legs in Killoe after the restart leads to a Mullinalaghta vs Abbeylara county final. Agree that Mullinalaghta should push Slashers aside, and agree that Ardagh Moydow should win the Intermediate.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 09/09/2020 17:15:17    2291332

Link

what happened killoe was completely wrong but i taught what went on last night in the last few minutes was an aboslute disgrace. it's not right and clonguish have a right to be fuming. the ban wasnt there fault and that playing for the scoreline is against everything in the spirit of gaa.

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 12/09/2020 16:33:09    2291705

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "what happened killoe was completely wrong but i taught what went on last night in the last few minutes was an aboslute disgrace. it's not right and clonguish have a right to be fuming. the ban wasnt there fault and that playing for the scoreline is against everything in the spirit of gaa."
You have to remember 1) they missed a month of training 2) They replaced 4 of 5 of their best players with about 15-20mins remaining 3) It was a dead rubber game for them, and 4) it was simply make or break for Mostrim at that stage. The last few minutes was of no consequence to anyone, and Clonguish had their own chances to progress many weeks ago. Not pretty, but that's the nature of the set up of the competition. I don't think Killoe would be thinking 'let's do this to be good to someone else'. In saying that, I still think Mullinalaghta look far stronger than both teams last night.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 12/09/2020 21:06:00    2291740

Link

Odds on Killoe and Killashee for double

Longfordpat (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 12/09/2020 21:25:33    2291745

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "what happened killoe was completely wrong but i taught what went on last night in the last few minutes was an aboslute disgrace. it's not right and clonguish have a right to be fuming. the ban wasnt there fault and that playing for the scoreline is against everything in the spirit of gaa."
Stretching there mate. Clonguish are to blame for their own exit, no one else. They won none of their matches.
Can't point the finger at Killoe who may not have even finished with 15 given their injury count.

shootfromthelip (Longford) - Posts: 20 - 12/09/2020 23:20:51    2291768

Link

come off it lads. im not saying clonguish deserve to go through, thats not the point here. the point is killoe purposely stopped playing in the last quarter, in order to "get back" at the club they thought were responsible for getting them banned. clear as day folks. killoe let themselves down badly and the comments on social media from some of there supporters afterwards showed that.
Killoe and abbeylara will both win the quarters easily

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 13/09/2020 11:31:28    2291814

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "come off it lads. im not saying clonguish deserve to go through, thats not the point here. the point is killoe purposely stopped playing in the last quarter, in order to "get back" at the club they thought were responsible for getting them banned. clear as day folks. killoe let themselves down badly and the comments on social media from some of there supporters afterwards showed that.
Killoe and abbeylara will both win the quarters easily"
Killoe had 4 players that went off injured in the second half and started the game without their selacted full back. They also finished the game with 14 players. That's when mostrim came back into the game. No club team would have the strength in depth to cope with that. So what you're implying is absolute rubbish but I'm not surprised.

Stato53 (Longford) - Posts: 11 - 13/09/2020 13:59:58    2291832

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "come off it lads. im not saying clonguish deserve to go through, thats not the point here. the point is killoe purposely stopped playing in the last quarter, in order to "get back" at the club they thought were responsible for getting them banned. clear as day folks. killoe let themselves down badly and the comments on social media from some of there supporters afterwards showed that.
That's unfair on the Killoe supporters. They're not all obnoxious its only about 99.9% that are.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 13/09/2020 14:59:02    2291837

Link

Did someone give you inside information that Killoe specifically set out to knock Clonguish out of the championship? I've spoken to a number of gaels since the weekend and have not heard this claim made by anyone else. Clear as day was a side back after an enforced hiatus down a number of players and running out of fuel in a game that they didn't even need to win. If their aim was to do Clonguish in, why even win the match? Otherwise this is a baseless claim.
on the social media front, i haven't been paying attention so you'll have to fill the rest of us in on that. Again broad strokes there....

shootfromthelip (Longford) - Posts: 20 - 13/09/2020 16:57:00    2291852

Link

Replying To Nelson39:  "That's unfair on the Killoe supporters. They're not all obnoxious its only about 99.9% that are."
another quality post from yourself...Killoe really have you triggered it would seem!

shootfromthelip (Longford) - Posts: 20 - 13/09/2020 17:03:31    2291854

Link

Replying To shootfromthelip:  "another quality post from yourself...Killoe really have you triggered it would seem!"
Why would they have me triggered ? I'm only telling the truth. I thought they might of changed after the support they received from other clubs recently. But from reading twitter, facebook and various other media outlets it's business as usual.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 13/09/2020 18:41:22    2291872

Link

I have read comments here regarding the killoe mostrim game which are both ludicrous and astonishing in equal measure. For anyone to think that they would go out in a game they did not need win, risk injuries which they obtained, and play all their front line players is absolutely ridiculous..not to mention the fact that they actually won the game..

Secondly I read comments regarding killoe supporters arrogance on social media. I.myself am from killoe. Anyone who reads my posts know how I crave our county team to do well. Therefore I want to see all players in all clubs playing to the best of their ability which in turn, enhances the county team.

I have been on fb and read comments about the game with mostrim. I have not seen any arrogant, condescending or triumphant ism...if you could forward these comments or state them here, I would be the first to acknowledge that they were as you say and would waste no time in telling said supporters to cop on.

People forget that killoe did not appear in a county final between 1995 and 2012. A conscious decision was made within the parish in the late nineties to concentrate and develop the underage structure. This included massive effort within the parish and the national school. Master Harte will never be forgotten for his influence in this regard.

This developments included massive fundraising for school development along with improvements at clonee as well. All of this was done by parishioners. The school players were nurtured within the school system and developed on the schoolboy pitches in clonee. All this was done by the people, teachers and club persons from the parish. We are seeing the fruits of that labour now. If killoe parish can look at themselves and do what they did, then anyone can.

The people I associate with from killoe take nothing for granted. The vast majority were cheering on our rivals mullinalaghta in leinster 2 yrs ago. I myself support all our county champions in leinster. I have gone in the past supporting drumlish dromard slashers abbeylara etc. As I say most of us know how luck we are and also that nothing lasts forever.

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 145 - 13/09/2020 23:54:42    2291917

Link

comments on facebook were deleted after some had mentioned a certain clonguish person's name in them gloating about the result. a few "i love it when a plan comes together" remarks still being shared on twitter. very disappointing stuff. im not one who has ever complained about killoe supporters in the past and like you always support any longford team in leinster and taught how the county board treated your club this year was a disgrace

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 14/09/2020 09:03:57    2291939

Link

https://twitter.com/Irish7Summits/status/1304514813498884098?s=19

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 896 - 14/09/2020 09:57:48    2291953

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "comments on facebook were deleted after some had mentioned a certain clonguish person's name in them gloating about the result. a few "i love it when a plan comes together" remarks still being shared on twitter. very disappointing stuff. im not one who has ever complained about killoe supporters in the past and like you always support any longford team in leinster and taught how the county board treated your club this year was a disgrace"
If you can't handle a few people having a bit crack with memes, don't go on social media, it doesn't really suit you. I've seen a lot worse than that from people from all clubs and heard a lot worse on a pitch. You really need to move on and get over this grudge you hold.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 14/09/2020 10:12:31    2291957

Link

i was asked to share what was on social media and i mentioned the comment i saw (there were others but now deleted) and spinx sent the link. yes a bit of crack but it just highlighted what i and plenty of others thought about the closing stages of the game. farce. look at my previous posts here i was fully supportive of killoe, no grudge at all, that has just left a sour taste in my mouth but look it's over and done with lots of football left to be played thankfully. opinion hasnt changed on it being a killoe mullinalaghta final

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 14/09/2020 12:39:32    2292007

Link