Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

That was a much more disappointing result than Mayo which I still stand by as an excellent performance where we were sucker punched.

Sunday we were very disjointed and yet still found ourselves 7 points up at home. There is absolutely no excuse for losing the game from there, zero, and I hope they're pissed off with one another and the result. It was incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

If we sort out our shooting I think we will still pick up the home wins to keep us up, and possibly nick a result against Kerry or Dublin. More likely Kerry if they're safe with nothing to play for in the final week. I see it as Meath are certs to go down with the final spot being fought between ourselves, Mayo and Monaghan.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 10/02/2020 20:41:05    2266894

Link

Hugh mcfadden in addition to covering the centre of the defence would also have added physicality to the 50/50 kickouts. When the game needs a bit of slowing down or you need to have someone carry the ball out of defence and ride a few tackles he's the go to for this. He's the closest to what Neil Gallagher used to bring. He is underrated . I presume he was not fit to play based on the knock against meath and fair play to doctors and management for that. Player welfare and health is paramount

Without him, Jason mcgee and mcgonagle in the second we really lacked physicality. It was a kind of game that Leo mcloone might have done well in. Thompson had a fine game, he's been good in the league but he's a half forward and not that physical a player. Langan was quiet in the second half as well. Paul brennan is all action though I think he's a bit rash and he gives the ball away to much. Think the league is helping mcfadden Ferry. It will be tough for mcgrath to get back from injury for championship but he's a determined character so you never know. Hopefully mcmenamin will also be back come championship, we miss him and miss that edge he brings as well. Niall o'donnell didn't look at it, I wonder is be fully back to himself following the virus he had. Hopefully Mcbrearty after two more weeks training will be fit for the dubs. He's badly missed and hopefully he can get back to the levels of two years ago. He was exceptional two years ago against them.
Assuming the following players are fit and well the team for the dubs something like - Patton, mcff, mcgee, ban, mchugh, obaoill, ward, mcfadden, mcgonagle, Thompson, nod, langan, brennan, Murphy, Mcbrearty.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 10/02/2020 20:53:51    2266898

Link

Yeah as Pointed out it's important to stay in Div 1 for next year's prep more than anything. It was fine margins yday so let's not go overboard yet.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 10/02/2020 22:02:01    2266919

Link

Another epic collapse by Donegal. Comletely disjointed all over the field . This so called crackerjack management team namely Bonner and Rockford are turning into perennial losers. Then again neither has done it at the top level. What kind of coaching are they doing? Sideways and backwards was the order of the day, even Murphy going back 30 meters from a side line in the waning minutes when he should be on the square and somebody else launching . Where are these marquee forwards that so many posters think Donegal have. They have to be sat and others given a chance.Physicality is another big problem with this Donegal team, it is not there bar a few. Langan nice player ,not near tough enough. The ones that are injured McGrath, McMenamin badly needed because they bring that bite. Where is McBrearty, more mismanagement I guess. Is he being punished for taking an extended leave? Surely if in any shape he would have been worth a few scores yesterday!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 280 - 11/02/2020 00:06:30    2266958

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Hugh mcfadden in addition to covering the centre of the defence would also have added physicality to the 50/50 kickouts. When the game needs a bit of slowing down or you need to have someone carry the ball out of defence and ride a few tackles he's the go to for this. He's the closest to what Neil Gallagher used to bring. He is underrated . I presume he was not fit to play based on the knock against meath and fair play to doctors and management for that. Player welfare and health is paramount

Without him, Jason mcgee and mcgonagle in the second we really lacked physicality. It was a kind of game that Leo mcloone might have done well in. Thompson had a fine game, he's been good in the league but he's a half forward and not that physical a player. Langan was quiet in the second half as well. Paul brennan is all action though I think he's a bit rash and he gives the ball away to much. Think the league is helping mcfadden Ferry. It will be tough for mcgrath to get back from injury for championship but he's a determined character so you never know. Hopefully mcmenamin will also be back come championship, we miss him and miss that edge he brings as well. Niall o'donnell didn't look at it, I wonder is be fully back to himself following the virus he had. Hopefully Mcbrearty after two more weeks training will be fit for the dubs. He's badly missed and hopefully he can get back to the levels of two years ago. He was exceptional two years ago against them.
Assuming the following players are fit and well the team for the dubs something like - Patton, mcff, mcgee, ban, mchugh, obaoill, ward, mcfadden, mcgonagle, Thompson, nod, langan, brennan, Murphy, Mcbrearty."
With the exception of Mc Menamin and J Mc Gee that team you named wouldn't be far off our championship side. Be great to see how'd we'd fare against the dubs.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 11/02/2020 00:48:05    2266962

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Another epic collapse by Donegal. Comletely disjointed all over the field . This so called crackerjack management team namely Bonner and Rockford are turning into perennial losers. Then again neither has done it at the top level. What kind of coaching are they doing? Sideways and backwards was the order of the day, even Murphy going back 30 meters from a side line in the waning minutes when he should be on the square and somebody else launching . Where are these marquee forwards that so many posters think Donegal have. They have to be sat and others given a chance.Physicality is another big problem with this Donegal team, it is not there bar a few. Langan nice player ,not near tough enough. The ones that are injured McGrath, McMenamin badly needed because they bring that bite. Where is McBrearty, more mismanagement I guess. Is he being punished for taking an extended leave? Surely if in any shape he would have been worth a few scores yesterday!"
Agree that we need more bite, but the rest of this seems like a rant. I think we have played fairly well in all the games so far, controlling possession and creating lots of scoring chances, but defensive softness has cost us. I think that can be fixed.

End of the day its still early february. If we were on six points we (which we should be) I wouldn't be getting too carried away. The team have left themselves work to do now when it could have been sown up.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 11/02/2020 10:14:29    2266993

Link

Donegal played well in the 2nd half. Is there another planet out there? Rant on!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 280 - 11/02/2020 10:54:36    2267002

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Another epic collapse by Donegal. Comletely disjointed all over the field . This so called crackerjack management team namely Bonner and Rockford are turning into perennial losers. Then again neither has done it at the top level. What kind of coaching are they doing? Sideways and backwards was the order of the day, even Murphy going back 30 meters from a side line in the waning minutes when he should be on the square and somebody else launching . Where are these marquee forwards that so many posters think Donegal have. They have to be sat and others given a chance.Physicality is another big problem with this Donegal team, it is not there bar a few. Langan nice player ,not near tough enough. The ones that are injured McGrath, McMenamin badly needed because they bring that bite. Where is McBrearty, more mismanagement I guess. Is he being punished for taking an extended leave? Surely if in any shape he would have been worth a few scores yesterday!"
Welcome back as I said before your a wum who only posts after a defeat. Il try and answer a few of your questions, do you really think with the conditions last Sunday that donegal we're going to go direct with every attack. Last Sunday was a day for keep ball and to work out a score. As for Rochford and Bonner pereenial losers as you say. Go through there cvs and you might think different. But then again wums don't like to be proved wrong. Your post about Mc brearty not playing ,management are quite right the lad is only back two weeks gave him up to the Dublin game to regain his sharpness. Player welfare comes before anything else. Let me hazard a guess you probably weren't even at the game just a sad keyboard warrior who takes pleasure when there county loses a game. As far as I can see all the best players are on the county squad minus Mc niallas who won't play. Oh yea remind me again of the players you think are not on the squad who shud be.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 11/02/2020 11:30:26    2267016

Link

To put things in context we lost to Fermanagh and Tipp last year but to go down again this year would be a backward step and the two home games against Tyrone and Monaghan are no gimmes.I was just thinking is McGonigle a better player than we give him credit for.In the Mayo game and on Sunday we went downhill when he went off.Another thing that struck me on Sunday was the use of subs,I thougt Niall was played far too wide(we saw how good he was in a central position for the club,easily the best player in the club championship).Daire is not a forward and is much better coming at speed from the back.McCole should have got more game time in the 3 games.By all accounts he was impressive for DCU and is highly regarded up there.I know county football is a different level but I think we should be preparing for a post Neil McGee era.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 11/02/2020 12:53:10    2267042

Link

Replying To gunman:  "To put things in context we lost to Fermanagh and Tipp last year but to go down again this year would be a backward step and the two home games against Tyrone and Monaghan are no gimmes.I was just thinking is McGonigle a better player than we give him credit for.In the Mayo game and on Sunday we went downhill when he went off.Another thing that struck me on Sunday was the use of subs,I thougt Niall was played far too wide(we saw how good he was in a central position for the club,easily the best player in the club championship).Daire is not a forward and is much better coming at speed from the back.McCole should have got more game time in the 3 games.By all accounts he was impressive for DCU and is highly regarded up there.I know county football is a different level but I think we should be preparing for a post Neil McGee era."
Totally agree on subs. Daire is an attacking half back and Niall is definitely better at centre forward. You have a point about Mc gonagle he's very underrated pity he couldn't get a decent run of games because he has potential and is a very good fielder. Mícheál Carroll and cian mulligan are other options. Carroll needs games but seems to be injured. As for mulligan I always said that's he's more suited to summer football I hope he hangs about because he is a player who is a real livewire who has an eye for a goal.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 11/02/2020 13:12:43    2267049

Link

@Rory,You are constantly on here analyzing players,selecting teams and who's who as far as county players are concerned. Your analogy that such and such is a 'summer player' is completely laughable! What other seasons would u use to describe players? Where are u playing Mulligan, midfield in the summertime! Player welfare, what has that got to do with putting McBrearty on the field for the last 10 to 15 min.So he will be ok in 2 weeks for the dubs! You don't know what player welfare is and looks like your hoping some one will come on here and enlighten u. Bonner could take a leaf out of Mickey Harte's book who wasted no time in thrusting McShane into the action.Speakin of summer the swan may have sailed come sept .

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 280 - 12/02/2020 01:29:02    2267200

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@Rory,You are constantly on here analyzing players,selecting teams and who's who as far as county players are concerned. Your analogy that such and such is a 'summer player' is completely laughable! What other seasons would u use to describe players? Where are u playing Mulligan, midfield in the summertime! Player welfare, what has that got to do with putting McBrearty on the field for the last 10 to 15 min.So he will be ok in 2 weeks for the dubs! You don't know what player welfare is and looks like your hoping some one will come on here and enlighten u. Bonner could take a leaf out of Mickey Harte's book who wasted no time in thrusting McShane into the action.Speakin of summer the swan may have sailed come sept ."
Sorry mate your the one listing players who should be on the county squad. Once I seen your list I knew then you were a wum. I always thought this forum was for people to discuss donegal football. From goin thru your posts all your posts are rants at management with nothing to back it up. Maybe you grow up a bit and respect people who have done a lot for donegal football al there lives. constructive criticism is good. I love when people debate what they think is good for our county team when they back it up with good answers. Do you go many games sir.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 12/02/2020 12:05:59    2267262

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@Rory,You are constantly on here analyzing players,selecting teams and who's who as far as county players are concerned. Your analogy that such and such is a 'summer player' is completely laughable! What other seasons would u use to describe players? Where are u playing Mulligan, midfield in the summertime! Player welfare, what has that got to do with putting McBrearty on the field for the last 10 to 15 min.So he will be ok in 2 weeks for the dubs! You don't know what player welfare is and looks like your hoping some one will come on here and enlighten u. Bonner could take a leaf out of Mickey Harte's book who wasted no time in thrusting McShane into the action.Speakin of summer the swan may have sailed come sept ."
"The swan may have sailed come sept". Brilliant. Is that Yeats? Or Kavanagh?

The concept of certain players doing better in the summer when the ground is harder (and the reverse) is well accepted surely. Nothing too controversial there. Maybe not considered as much anymore as players forced to play in terrible Autumn, winter, spring conditions

We have no idea what kind of condition McBrearty is in. He's been away in the states and its a while since Kilcar went out of Championship, It would be advisable for him to have a good bit of training done before playing if even to avoid injuries. Also, he'd need to be in decent shape to have a positive influence on the game.

Chill out man, its only the league. Beat Tyrone and Monaghan and we're sorted. The management team isn't going anywhere and there aren't many players out there not being given a run of some sort.... so get on the bandwagon, you never know where it could take us :) ( If we fail to make an AI semi... then get the knives out)

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 12/02/2020 12:08:30    2267264

Link

@ At Rory, To you go to many games sir.? What kind of an asinine question ,statement is that? What now , you are playing teacher ,pupil. Have been to more games albeit and a lot bigger venues than you'll ever know. Excuses being made about McBrearty's with regard to player welfare is totally lame. Management hoping to get lucky and pushing the envelope with their selections. Let me ask u Rory, u that's at every game and in the know is Brian McEniff still managing the Donegal team. ?

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 280 - 13/02/2020 00:39:32    2267440

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@ At Rory, To you go to many games sir.? What kind of an asinine question ,statement is that? What now , you are playing teacher ,pupil. Have been to more games albeit and a lot bigger venues than you'll ever know. Excuses being made about McBrearty's with regard to player welfare is totally lame. Management hoping to get lucky and pushing the envelope with their selections. Let me ask u Rory, u that's at every game and in the know is Brian McEniff still managing the Donegal team. ?"
What are you rambling on about. You have me baffled. I can't understand some of your words maybe it's because of the time of your posts.. chill out mate.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 13/02/2020 09:57:14    2267458

Link

What would represent a good season for Donegal this year? I get the impression with some people that nothing short of an All-Ireland win would satisfy them. I am happy if I think we have improved from last year, for me this means getting through the Super 8's to an All-Ireland semi-final. Winning the 3 in a row in Ulster would be great but think its imperative we get through the Super 8's this year.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 13/02/2020 14:54:38    2267527

Link

I think the window in which we potentially could win an All Ireland in the short term future is getting narrower and narrower. The reason I say this is because Michael Murphy's inter county career simply cannot go on forever, and I do not see us winning one without him involved. We have talented players without doubt, but I have a growing uneasiness that we're lacking that bit of bite, street smarts, bullishness etc needed

Back when Jim took over we had an almost perfect blend of youth and experience. We had brilliant players from the u21 team like Murphy, McGrath, McLoone and McHugh joining hardened and experienced players like the McGees, McFadden, big Neil etc,

For 2020, an All Ireland win is perhaps too optimistic. What I would like to see is another Ulster win and for us to break the Super 8s ceiling. Then, in the semi final I would like to see us really have a proper crack and not to bow out with a whimper like we did in Castlebar last summer. It was Murphy leading the charge single-handedly in the second half that day. We need more of the younger lads stepping up.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 13/02/2020 15:46:37    2267536

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "What would represent a good season for Donegal this year? I get the impression with some people that nothing short of an All-Ireland win would satisfy them. I am happy if I think we have improved from last year, for me this means getting through the Super 8's to an All-Ireland semi-final. Winning the 3 in a row in Ulster would be great but think its imperative we get through the Super 8's this year."
I don't think we get through the Super 8s without winning Ulster, just the way the draw is set up this year. We win Ulster and we will definitely avoid Dublin and Kerry (being realistic both should win their provinces). That's a huge plus to winning Ulster, never mind just winning it is a great achievement and something I still value very highly.

I think we need to make the breakthrough this year 100%, but I do also think we've been unlucky with the Super 8s in the last 2 years in terms of the draw. There's no doubt we just weren't at the races in Castlebar but I also think a winner-takes-all match v Mayo in their home patch is a tough ask for any team in the country in 2019, Dubs included. Makes it all the more disappointing that the level of performance just wasn't there from 90% of the team. The first year was almost more disappointing with having Tyrone on our home patch to get through to the semi-final, you'd back us 9/10 in Ballybofey. Especially when you think it was Odhrans last outing in a county jersey.

Anyway, I think Ulster and an AI semi is well within this teams' reach but a big factor will be getting the likes of McMenamin and McGrath back fit and firing the way they were last summer, I just don't think we have the depth in defence to not have them at their best. Up front I think we will sort out the shooting issues and that will give us a chance in most games.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 13/02/2020 16:50:19    2267545

Link

How we get on this year in my eyes depends on getting a good run with injuries suspensions etc. I think a lot of people might think were better than we might actually be. I don't like saying it but I think us doing well depends on a lot of things goin right for us. People can say what they want but I don't think our squad is strong enough. We lost paddy and Eoin ban this last two years and we just cudnt cope to be fit to beat the big teams you need 26 players who you can throw in at championship level.do we have that I don't think so. That's not a slight on management who are doing an excellent job bar odhran Mc niallas I feel al the best players are there. I would love to see us winning ulster and getting to an All Ireland final will it happen hopefully but as I say we need things goin our way..one final question would we have win the all Ireland in 2012 if we had a few injuries to important players.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 13/02/2020 17:07:50    2267550

Link

I think sometimes we get carried away with both the positive and negative talk about our team.

Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Galway are all probably ahead of us. They have the right mix of physicality and flair that you need. Ourselves Tyrone and Monaghan are all on par and could beat one another on any given day.

Our Half back line has not near physical enough. Where is our Lee Keegan, John Small or Paddy Durcan. Eoin Ban is not a corner back. Conor O Donnell is not a centre half back. Ryan Mc Hugh needs to play in Half forward line.

Full Back line of McCole (needs experience quickly) Neil for experience and Mc Menamin. Paddy Mc Grath for McGee if fit. McCole full back.

Half back line of Ban one side and Mc Fadden Ferry the other side ( two serious engines and pace to burn). Centre half I don't know, (Michael Murphy????)

Midfield of McGee and Hughie

Half forward line of Langan, Mc Hugh and Thompson.

Full Forward of Mc Brearty, Murph and Brennan.

That leaves NOD, COD, Gallen, Mc Gonagle, Eoin Mc Hugh, Neil Mc Gee or Paddy Mc Grath all left to enter games and make a real difference. Also liked the looked of Jack Mc Kelvey in Mc Kenna cup, positional sense was excellent.

For me it's crucial we find a hard hitting athletic centre half. Who??????

DLlegends (Donegal) - Posts: 492 - 13/02/2020 18:11:40    2267559

Link