Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MrWest91:  "Culture and mindset, this coming from the guy who was calling for us to get caroline currid involved. Get a good management team involved first and get us out of div 4 is the first job and see where we go from there.

Eamon will need a big mindset change himself as the way he carries himself and his behaviour on the sideline will not be accepted at inter county level if he was to get the job. Rumours appear to be the county board will give it to anyone but him. Also he was part of a duo in tourlestrane and no one speaks of the importance of gerry mcgowan to that setup.

I wouldn't be getting excited about fellas just because they were involved with mayo, if he was that good bigger outfits would be after him."
Good post. Everyone talks about O Hara and Tourlestrane. He was the face of that team but very much working in the background was Mc Gowans. Some people have said that he was the brains behind the operation. Great to see a few new posters here. Livens things up.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 26/11/2020 13:37:34    2315610

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Good post. Everyone talks about O Hara and Tourlestrane. He was the face of that team but very much working in the background was Mc Gowans. Some people have said that he was the brains behind the operation. Great to see a few new posters here. Livens things up."
Timmy, no need for that rubbish.

Tyrone have joint managers put in place....maybe O'Hara and Solan going in as joint managers.

Some would say McGowan was the real brains behind Tourlestrane success but definitely had a huge imput so maybe O'Hara needed another manager on his ticket.

Any updates on Mchugh, is Mark going in with him.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 26/11/2020 16:56:46    2315680

Link

But 1 of ye did say carlow wud take beaten in leinster from there performance v sligo ,im just repeating,keeping positive ye say ,and i forgot they beat wicklow who got promoted ,so sligo should b up too;)

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 142 - 26/11/2020 18:06:34    2315697

Link

Tony McEntee new manager with Joe Keane Coach and Sean Boyle S&C I'm hearing. More of the backroom team tbc.

Disappointed for O Hara.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1532 - 26/11/2020 19:44:58    2315733

Link

Excellent appointment. No one can question his credentials. Onwards and upwards. Over to the players now

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 26/11/2020 21:06:56    2315756

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Excellent appointment. No one can question his credentials. Onwards and upwards. Over to the players now"
Disappointing for O'Hara.

McEntee I think is a good appointment but they will be under pressure to deliver now, especially Keane.

Best of luck to them.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 26/11/2020 21:14:43    2315759

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Excellent appointment. No one can question his credentials. Onwards and upwards. Over to the players now"
You would swear you were on the selection committee with such absolute ego comments like that. It would be the typical arrogant cannot question us type of idiot characters that have been ruining Sligo football for eons.

I am not done with O Hara being overlooked. Leonard a Tourlestrane man overlooking O Hara doesn't add up. Questions need to be asked. He is one of our own. He would know more of the players and talent pool in Sligo than McEntee. He would get the Tourlestrane contingent more involved. O Hara is not perfect but has more advantages. He has won 5 in a row at club level which is unheard of. Ironically enough McEntee had a 8-week ban as a selector with Mayo for getting involved in a melee before the O Hara bashers come in.

There is more to this to why O Hara didn't get it. Leonard will try to waffle his way out of telling the truth.

Saying no one can question McEntee's credentials is a ridiculous thing to say. He doesn't have Mickey Harte's credentials. I have just spent the last hour researching McEntee. No experience as an Intercounty Manager means as this is his first job as Intercounty Manager none of us can predict with any great certainty if it will work out. Again we are taking a chance although I would be more confident of this one working out.

The question remains of how we managed to regress with Joe Keane still involved. It remains unanswered so the continuity there is a concern. Will McEntee turn the tide more than Taylor, Dineen and John Mac. Who will be his other selector.

However that being said - I am happy with this appointment to a point. Oisin McConvilles article on McEntee talks of a very astute, honest, direct straight talker and an organized, and data driven approach with him.

He was very close to getting the Monaghan job in 2019 and was offered the Down Job in 2014 but declined. Managed Cross to 2 All Irelands in 2011 and 2012. Obviously selector and coach with Mayo under Rochford for 3 years.

3 Year plan is a lot but to build anything worthwhile you need time. I am surprised he went for us but I'd say Keane was in his ear as they worked together before.

The main reason I like this Appointment is Tony's character is exactly what is needed. As a player, he always made the right decisions on the ball. His shot selection was second to none.

Welcome to Sligo Tony and best of luck. Promotion from Div 4 to 2 and a Connacht senior Title would be lovely within 3 years.

One thing we can all agree on is over to the Players indeed.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1532 - 26/11/2020 22:21:27    2315782

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "You would swear you were on the selection committee with such absolute ego comments like that. It would be the typical arrogant cannot question us type of idiot characters that have been ruining Sligo football for eons.

I am not done with O Hara being overlooked. Leonard a Tourlestrane man overlooking O Hara doesn't add up. Questions need to be asked. He is one of our own. He would know more of the players and talent pool in Sligo than McEntee. He would get the Tourlestrane contingent more involved. O Hara is not perfect but has more advantages. He has won 5 in a row at club level which is unheard of. Ironically enough McEntee had a 8-week ban as a selector with Mayo for getting involved in a melee before the O Hara bashers come in.

There is more to this to why O Hara didn't get it. Leonard will try to waffle his way out of telling the truth.

Saying no one can question McEntee's credentials is a ridiculous thing to say. He doesn't have Mickey Harte's credentials. I have just spent the last hour researching McEntee. No experience as an Intercounty Manager means as this is his first job as Intercounty Manager none of us can predict with any great certainty if it will work out. Again we are taking a chance although I would be more confident of this one working out.

The question remains of how we managed to regress with Joe Keane still involved. It remains unanswered so the continuity there is a concern. Will McEntee turn the tide more than Taylor, Dineen and John Mac. Who will be his other selector.

However that being said - I am happy with this appointment to a point. Oisin McConvilles article on McEntee talks of a very astute, honest, direct straight talker and an organized, and data driven approach with him.

He was very close to getting the Monaghan job in 2019 and was offered the Down Job in 2014 but declined. Managed Cross to 2 All Irelands in 2011 and 2012. Obviously selector and coach with Mayo under Rochford for 3 years.

3 Year plan is a lot but to build anything worthwhile you need time. I am surprised he went for us but I'd say Keane was in his ear as they worked together before.

The main reason I like this Appointment is Tony's character is exactly what is needed. As a player, he always made the right decisions on the ball. His shot selection was second to none.

Welcome to Sligo Tony and best of luck. Promotion from Div 4 to 2 and a Connacht senior Title would be lovely within 3 years.

One thing we can all agree on is over to the Players indeed."
O'hara being overlooked isn't a massive shock to anyone, and there is too much importance being attributed to him with Tourlestrane. He has won 5 in a row in sligo which is great but our standard is poor and tourlestrane didnt come close to winning a game once they got into connacht. Who else from tourlestrane is county standard apart from Johnny Kelly and Mcintyre both of whom had very valid reasons for not committing.

He might have been a short term solution but there would be no guarantee of success with him either.

Can we question whether our players in fact might not be any good instead of saying we regressed under Joe Keane and questioning his involvement with McEntee. Getting out of Division 4 next year is a must but it is now a minefield with Harte in louth, Mcginley in Antrim and Hyland with our neighbors. Every team down there will have ambitions of getting promoted.

A lot of work to do and hopefully Mcentee gets the resources he needs and the buy in from players.

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 26/11/2020 23:03:47    2315797

Link

It's John McEntee I remember playing with the wand of a left foot, not Tony so I'll take that bit back. They are identical twins but I honestly don't remember Tony playing.

Just heard Leonard waffling on Oceanfm as predicted.
On McEntee
"He has an excellent team around him whose on board"
"His backroom team, he's going to do things a bit differently than we have been doing, probably"
"Very impressed with his Backroom team especially"
"There vision for Sligo going forward"

The backroom team is the same as Taylors so far so not sure how they impress you given the results and how different they'll do things. I am sure O Hara had a different approach too.

"Eamon was well in the running"
"Eamon had another good candidate with him aswell in Mike Solan and they put in a very good interview aswell"

"We feel we picked the best candidate"
And with a snigger "Eamon might be with a bigger team than Sligo in the near future" "he will always be there in the future anyway"

Ridiculous thing to say on O Hara, he's basically taunting him and if he's good enough for bigger teams then what about us and complacent that he will always be there for Sligo.

McEntee as far as we are aware has one more selector to announce. Must be some selector, could it someone like McConville. O Hara's vision was Sligo back in the Top12 so not sure you can beat that.

And I understand he can't say a whole lot about the decision but what he does say he comes across as so poor.

I am going to move on from O Hara and focus on the future as this decision is made and McEntee deserves our congrats and support and then will be judged on results and performances.

A penny for Tourlestranes thoughts right now about Leonard. Anto?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1532 - 26/11/2020 23:42:25    2315810

Link

Replying To MrWest91:  "O'hara being overlooked isn't a massive shock to anyone, and there is too much importance being attributed to him with Tourlestrane. He has won 5 in a row in sligo which is great but our standard is poor and tourlestrane didnt come close to winning a game once they got into connacht. Who else from tourlestrane is county standard apart from Johnny Kelly and Mcintyre both of whom had very valid reasons for not committing.

He might have been a short term solution but there would be no guarantee of success with him either.

Can we question whether our players in fact might not be any good instead of saying we regressed under Joe Keane and questioning his involvement with McEntee. Getting out of Division 4 next year is a must but it is now a minefield with Harte in louth, Mcginley in Antrim and Hyland with our neighbors. Every team down there will have ambitions of getting promoted.

A lot of work to do and hopefully Mcentee gets the resources he needs and the buy in from players."
Great post. I don't believe we will be moving from Div. 4 next year. Serious amount of horse manure on this site from the same old .........

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 27/11/2020 00:06:46    2315814

Link

Mr West Can we question whether our players in fact might not be any good instead of saying we regressed under Joe Keane and questioning his involvement with McEntee. Getting out of Division 4 next year is a must but it is now a minefield with Harte in louth, Mcginley in Antrim and Hyland with our neighbors. Every team down there will have ambitions of getting promoted.

Why can't we question Joe Keane? You sound like a friend of his, are they not valid questions. We didn't show any improvement on the field from his coaching. I just heard McEntee say the same thing that Sligo have improved in the last year. Can someone point it out to me the exact improvement we made?

If you say the players are not there to me that's just an excuse and free pass used by management to deflect blame and for not maximizing the player's potential. It's a myth cynics will always tell you and lie behind to justify a losing narrative.

O Hara said in a podcast recently the players are there. Would Joe and Tony by taking on the job not by default be saying the same thing or what's the point?

All of sudden our 2015/17/19 underage teams good enough for the best in Connacht all of a sudden not good enough to get out of Division 4? It won't be easy given who is down there now.

Within 2 years he has to get us out of Division 4, and be competing at the top side of Division in year 3. Minimum.

In championship, we have to be competitive by year 2 in Connacht (against Ros, Mayo, Gal) and give it a rattle in year 3.

He has to improve the pace of the team as a starting point. He has find a way to win ball in midfield. And most importantly we have to see a massive decrease in goal chance creation against us. (Not just goals conceded) I want to see evidence of major mindset change on the field through body language and expression of the gameplan.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1532 - 27/11/2020 00:44:41    2315823

Link

Great appointment by Sligo and I'd say one the players will be really happy with. Div 4 is going to be really hard to get out of next year. What ever 2 teams manage to get promoted really will have earned it. I'd love if it was a Leitrim v Sligo final in Croke park.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 27/11/2020 00:47:20    2315824

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "It's John McEntee I remember playing with the wand of a left foot, not Tony so I'll take that bit back. They are identical twins but I honestly don't remember Tony playing.

On McEntee
"His backroom team, he's going to do things a bit differently than we have been doing, probably"

The backroom team is the same as Taylors so far so not sure how they impress you given the results and how different they'll do things. I am sure O Hara had a different approach too.

"Eamon had another good candidate with him aswell in Mike Solan and they put in a very good interview aswell"

And with a snigger "Eamon might be with a bigger team than Sligo in the near future" "he will always be there in the future anyway"

Ridiculous thing to say on O Hara, he's basically taunting him and if he's good enough for bigger teams then what about us and complacent that he will always be there for Sligo.

McEntee as far as we are aware has one more selector to announce. Must be some selector, could it someone like McConville. O Hara's vision was Sligo back in the Top12 so not sure you can beat that.

And I understand he can't say a whole lot about the decision but what he does say he comes across as so poor.

I am going to move on from O Hara and focus on the future as this decision is made and McEntee deserves our congrats and support and then will be judged on results and performances.

A penny for Tourlestranes thoughts right now about Leonard. Anto?"
Ya seem to be at odd and ends Sligonian on this. Ya welcome McEntee but ya want O'Hara. Leonard is wrong for not appointing his clubman but is that any reason alone to appoint him? As for O'Haras vision of a top 12, vision is grand but ya need to have realistic aims to getting to it. I'm sure O'Hara has visions of Tourlestrane winning Connacht finals but that hasn't happened as of yet. A realistic goal for Sligo over the next three years is getting back to Division 3 in 2022 and try and become contenders for promotion to Division 2. We're going to be All Ireland B or whatever they call it competition so aiming for that is a more realistic appreciation of our situation. I have ambitions of sligo winning Sam but that doesn't mean I should be sligo manager because I dream big, more likely they'd give me a drink to sort me out!

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 73 - 27/11/2020 08:15:58    2315838

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Great appointment by Sligo and I'd say one the players will be really happy with. Div 4 is going to be really hard to get out of next year. What ever 2 teams manage to get promoted really will have earned it. I'd love if it was a Leitrim v Sligo final in Croke park."
Yes D4 will be very competitive next year and all these new managers will want their counties promoted.

We also have to remember that our boys are in a development stage. Going to matches you could see they were boys against men in most games. By all account the S&C has been excellent this year but 1 year is not going to make the difference.
Probably not fair to lay all the blame on Keane as he brought Boyle into the setup and also is committed to staying around after the embarrassment of the last 2 years and as someone above also stated he probably was the one in Mc Entee ear to get him on board.

It will be tough next year but the boys are 1 year older and stronger and hopefully they will be motivated by this management.

Sligohearty (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 27/11/2020 09:40:51    2315847

Link

Replying To MrWest91:  "O'hara being overlooked isn't a massive shock to anyone, and there is too much importance being attributed to him with Tourlestrane. He has won 5 in a row in sligo which is great but our standard is poor and tourlestrane didnt come close to winning a game once they got into connacht. Who else from tourlestrane is county standard apart from Johnny Kelly and Mcintyre both of whom had very valid reasons for not committing.

A lot of work to do and hopefully Mcentee gets the resources he needs and the buy in from players."
I would take issue with the comment about not coming close to winning a game in Connacht. Losing to Ballintubber by a point is quite close but no good enough unfortunately. The lose to Pearses was close too. Refereeing decisions and wasted chances made scoreline look worse than in should.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 277 - 27/11/2020 10:09:16    2315856

Link

Replying To Anto:  "I would take issue with the comment about not coming close to winning a game in Connacht. Losing to Ballintubber by a point is quite close but no good enough unfortunately. The lose to Pearses was close too. Refereeing decisions and wasted chances made scoreline look worse than in should."
First of all I'd like to think everyone here wants sligo to do well but a dash of realism is needed. We are ranked one of the worst teams in the country so there is no easy solution to get competitive in connacht against teams who are way further down the road in their development.

We need serious work at S&C as a few have already said and a question I would ask is what goes in the development squads when we have lads coming to senior and still being over powered by opposition, is this a player failure to do the work or a failure in structures. If we get the basics of a gameplan and power and a few new players maybe we can start to talk about mindset and body language then down the line. This will not happen over night.

Eamon will be disappointed but also Donegal rejected Jim Mcguinness 3 times before he got the senior job. its time to move on now McEntee has the job and he needs to be supported fully for his term, It will be a short season again with provincials starting in April and the B champ coming in also so lets wait and see what happens in 2021

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 27/11/2020 10:55:43    2315873

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "It's John McEntee I remember playing with the wand of a left foot, not Tony so I'll take that bit back. They are identical twins but I honestly don't remember Tony playing.

On McEntee

A penny for Tourlestranes thoughts right now about Leonard. Anto?"
Firstly I dont know how the decision was made in terms of did all county board vote on it or was it a decision made by the main men at the top table. Certainly Leonard didn't seem to help his club colleague which leaves a sour taste. He didn't come across very well on the radio explaining the decision and there will be a lot more explanations required locally.
Rumour has it the decision was made on costs. We went with the cheaper option when we went for Carew, Corey and Taylor and it looks as if same has happened this time. Hopefully results will be bit different with McEntee than they were with previous 3.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 277 - 27/11/2020 10:59:39    2315876

Link

Replying To Sligohearty:  "Yes D4 will be very competitive next year and all these new managers will want their counties promoted.

We also have to remember that our boys are in a development stage. Going to matches you could see they were boys against men in most games. By all account the S&C has been excellent this year but 1 year is not going to make the difference.
Probably not fair to lay all the blame on Keane as he brought Boyle into the setup and also is committed to staying around after the embarrassment of the last 2 years and as someone above also stated he probably was the one in Mc Entee ear to get him on board.

It will be tough next year but the boys are 1 year older and stronger and hopefully they will be motivated by this management."
Sorry to tell you every team in Division 4 is in 'development' stage , surprised sligo went with 2 candidates on main basis that they were Mayo selectors as neither have inter county management experience . Sligo have been very poor last two years be interesting to see how this works out

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 27/11/2020 11:07:23    2315880

Link

based on this board, only a matter of time before Sligo and Leitrim amalgamate

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 347 - 27/11/2020 14:22:52    2315933

Link

Delighted Sligo have appointed McEntee, interesting season ahead! He's held in high regard here, led Clontibret to a senior championship when a well stacked Scotstown team were heading for 5 in a row.

Have a soft spot for Sligo GAA and the laochra Gael episode of O'Hara reminded me why my younger self adored Sligo and Kelly, Hughes and the likes (still in my 20s) . (Also Rosses Point was my holiday for many a year haha)

I remember Monaghan playing Sligo in Clones in div3 and thankfully we've been blessed with so so many great days since then.

I hope yous do the same in Connacht and the AI.

And for what it's worth however unlikely it may seem don't rule it out as when we beat Meath in the div 3 final in 2013 we had no idea of the journey we were going on (we all know O'Rourke and Monaghan's achievements) which seemed unimaginable at that stage. I consider O'Rourke and McEntee very similar managers.

Best of luck.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 701 - 28/11/2020 23:57:03    2316350

Link