Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I think Kerry have several players like that that haven't fully filled out yet, guys like Gavin White and Jason Foley, O'Beaglaoich and a few others. It's usually around 24-25 when players start to reach their full potential at this level, bar the odd outlier like Clifford or Con O'Callaghan. I was hoping some of them would take a step forward again in 2020 but with everything that has happened who knows.

Didn't realise IC was deemed to be elite sports I thought for some reason that that referred to high performance athletes in athletics, boxing etc. I thought the GAA suspended all activity yesterday?"
Ya we have a lot of very light players Gerry. Dara Moynihan looks to have filled out a bit as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 06/10/2020 17:00:09    2296109

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya we have a lot of very light players Gerry. Dara Moynihan looks to have filled out a bit as well."
I agree regarding Dara Moynihan, the chest on him the last day, that or the jersey was tight fit but he looked have out on serious muscle condition upper body wise

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 06/10/2020 17:29:50    2296116

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya K'boy I watch that game recently myself, the team that night had good balance in defence O'Beagleach, Sherwood, Peter Crowley, Paul, Tadgh and Tom Sullivan - Sherwood had a great great game that night scoring the opening point and Crowley got the winner.

Adrain and Jack were centre field and Moran came in. Gavin O'Brien played really well thst night but for me he drifts in and out of games.

Jez you must be as bad as myself for sky plus. I watched the Tyrone semi there last week down 6 at HT but rreally turned it. Game of the year last year for me was the super 8 vs Donegal now that was a cracker for excitement and open attacking ball- just two teams going for it hell for leather"
Ha ha I have 2 sky+ boxes full horse 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the sitting room, it's a great pass time going through all the old games although herself wants to get the new sky box which would mean that these ones would be obsolete, I have the kerry minors 5 in a row and a lot of kerry Cork games from munster.

On the game it's self ya sherwood had a serious game as had Barry and Spillane in the middle, Peter Crowley as well.

Some game and a scrap as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 06/10/2020 18:50:04    2296131

Link

Don' let the B"stards grind ya down Kingdomboy, keep at em!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 07/10/2020 18:17:31    2296294

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ha ha I have 2 sky+ boxes full horse 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the sitting room, it's a great pass time going through all the old games although herself wants to get the new sky box which would mean that these ones would be obsolete, I have the kerry minors 5 in a row and a lot of kerry Cork games from munster.

On the game it's self ya sherwood had a serious game as had Barry and Spillane in the middle, Peter Crowley as well.

Some game and a scrap as well."
Jez, i hope this isn't what we will resorting to over the next few months, watching old games on sky plus to get our gaa fix.

The next fourteen days will tell a lot with regard to the chances of an intercounty season, unless the figures improve I fear the plug could be pulled, I do think however that would be the worse case scenario. I believe the government want sport to go ahead in the interest of people's well-being,

A world without sport is a depressing thing and one I genuinely believe the government will try to ensure or uphold.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 07/10/2020 18:58:48    2296302

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Jez, i hope this isn't what we will resorting to over the next few months, watching old games on sky plus to get our gaa fix.

The next fourteen days will tell a lot with regard to the chances of an intercounty season, unless the figures improve I fear the plug could be pulled, I do think however that would be the worse case scenario. I believe the government want sport to go ahead in the interest of people's well-being,

A world without sport is a depressing thing and one I genuinely believe the government will try to ensure or uphold."
Let's hope so because I think people are close to breaking point at this stage.

I'm in a situation where I'm working from home all week and now stuck there the weekends too, no pubs or restaurants or even a cinema open to go to and break up the week a little.
Now all these new checkpoints so you are stuck where you are, even if you wanted to come down to Kerry and work online from down there for a bit of a change of scenery.

And it seems they're even stopping people just traveling within the county with these checkpoints so your now feeling like you can't even drive to the beach or to the local woods for a walk or something!

What this is going to do to people's mental health is anyone's guess but it can't be good can it?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 07/10/2020 20:26:43    2296314

Link

Ya, I suppose I am a lot luckier then most, a hell of a lot luckier, I work three days in work and two days from home so my week is well broken up travel and work wise.

The coaching side has dried up now as well so I'm at home every night but a full house is a bit of craic when we deal the cards or convert the kitchen table into the table tennis table, endless possibilities when we just think back to what I did myself thirty years ago before 'screen time' was vine invented.

But you're right the importance of ball cannot be underestimated for sanity and inclusion purposes.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 07/10/2020 20:59:56    2296320

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Don' let the B"stards grind ya down Kingdomboy, keep at em!!"
Sound old stock.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 07/10/2020 21:41:09    2296326

Link

Fair play to ye boys, I know it's tough although bar the old pub lockins with my friends and going to matches and a foreign holiday life hasn't changed to much for me, I could do with some footy for sure and fingers crossed we'll get some.

The hermit would there be any chance you'll be able to move home eventually?

Horse it sounds like good craic at your house, have you ever played beer pong? It's an American game but basically it's a drinking game with a ping pong table.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 07/10/2020 21:51:21    2296328

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Fair play to ye boys, I know it's tough although bar the old pub lockins with my friends and going to matches and a foreign holiday life hasn't changed to much for me, I could do with some footy for sure and fingers crossed we'll get some.

Horse it sounds like good craic at your house, have you ever played beer pong? It's an American game but basically it's a drinking game with a ping pong table."
I think I'll try keep beer pong away from my door a while yet with teenagers that are beginning to meet me eye to eye and will be towering over me soon enough.

But ya we limit the 'screen time' when they were younger I'd flip the WiFi or last resort knock out the trip switch on the bed room sockets but ya they good in fairness but they missing the sport as much as me, I'm stuck in the gaa only but they kick soccer and rugby as well so the four walls could get very narrow or small very quickly and I don't think the screen or isolating oneself can help, throw the deck of cards on the table, throw darts or just act the bollocks at home for a laugh keeps me going ....

The old age golden years was cracked out recently, I hadn't watched in years considering it was near constant loop when I was a young lad, 3hrs and 1 minutes of sheer blissful ball, it's enough to keep any man going.

I have to commend Sky, I've often attacked but in fairness I read that all the gaa is on the free to air sky mix channel, so fair fair play to our Gaa Top Brass in this regard. Well done and fair play to ye.

Truth is we need ball to watch, read about, discuss and argue.. even this forum is a safe space and an outlet....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 07/10/2020 22:18:51    2296334

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Fair play to ye boys, I know it's tough although bar the old pub lockins with my friends and going to matches and a foreign holiday life hasn't changed to much for me, I could do with some footy for sure and fingers crossed we'll get some.

Horse it sounds like good craic at your house, have you ever played beer pong? It's an American game but basically it's a drinking game with a ping pong table."
Well I work in something that they're isn't really any jobs in Kerry with at the minute. They're would be in Cork or Limerick but it's a competitive industry and lucky to have gotten a permanent job at all, even though it's in part of the world Id never have imagined living in!

I'd move home in a heartbeat if I could but sure what can you do, I think it's a bit too late at this stage to take on the family farm!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 07/10/2020 23:31:04    2296338

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I think I'll try keep beer pong away from my door a while yet with teenagers that are beginning to meet me eye to eye and will be towering over me soon enough.

But ya we limit the 'screen time' when they were younger I'd flip the WiFi or last resort knock out the trip switch on the bed room sockets but ya they good in fairness but they missing the sport as much as me, I'm stuck in the gaa only but they kick soccer and rugby as well so the four walls could get very narrow or small very quickly and I don't think the screen or isolating oneself can help, throw the deck of cards on the table, throw darts or just act the bollocks at home for a laugh keeps me going ....

The old age golden years was cracked out recently, I hadn't watched in years considering it was near constant loop when I was a young lad, 3hrs and 1 minutes of sheer blissful ball, it's enough to keep any man going.

I have to commend Sky, I've often attacked but in fairness I read that all the gaa is on the free to air sky mix channel, so fair fair play to our Gaa Top Brass in this regard. Well done and fair play to ye.

Truth is we need ball to watch, read about, discuss and argue.. even this forum is a safe space and an outlet...."
Oh feck ya you'd better not bother with the beer pong so horse, myself and my buddies used to have another drinking game called fuzzy duck, a bunch of lads from limerick down here on a stag 1 time introduced us to it and it's a good 1 for the end of the night out :-)

Sounds like you've stuck a good ballance with your young lads and they'll thank you for that some day, at the end of the day we only have them for so long so we should make it count.

Ya iv had the golden years on video and I have it on dvd now as well, a classic bit of history, did you ever look back at the matches from the 50s and 60s on the gaa website? I haven't yet hopefully at Christmas though.

And ya fair play to sky and the gaa, I often give them stick but this is very welcomed.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 08/10/2020 07:52:32    2296344

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well I work in something that they're isn't really any jobs in Kerry with at the minute. They're would be in Cork or Limerick but it's a competitive industry and lucky to have gotten a permanent job at all, even though it's in part of the world Id never have imagined living in!

I'd move home in a heartbeat if I could but sure what can you do, I think it's a bit too late at this stage to take on the family farm!!"
Ah that's a pity bud, but if you like your job then it's probably worth, and stay away from the farming as its only a mugs game at this stage, practically working for nothing.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 08/10/2020 10:19:05    2296364

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ah that's a pity bud, but if you like your job then it's probably worth, and stay away from the farming as its only a mugs game at this stage, practically working for nothing."
Ah sure don't I know my father found that out the hard way, had to go off to America in the end for 9 months a year there in the late 80s, early 90s just to earn to keep us going at home. Tough times but we got through it and came out the better for it.

Farming is only a pastime now for himself and my uncle, I never had much interest in it much to their disappointment but in the long run they're happy I stayed away given there's no future in small farming in this country anymore.

Still its part of your upbringing and culture and even now I'd still get excited when something like the round balling is going on and always come home for it to lend a hand.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 08/10/2020 11:02:51    2296376

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Ah sure don't I know my father found that out the hard way, had to go off to America in the end for 9 months a year there in the late 80s, early 90s just to earn to keep us going at home. Tough times but we got through it and came out the better for it.

Farming is only a pastime now for himself and my uncle, I never had much interest in it much to their disappointment but in the long run they're happy I stayed away given there's no future in small farming in this country anymore.

Still its part of your upbringing and culture and even now I'd still get excited when something like the round balling is going on and always come home for it to lend a hand."
Feck I know what you're saying, sure I can hear a tractor starting from 10 miles away :-) and tell you who's tractor it is as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 08/10/2020 11:20:16    2296381

Link

Well 2020 lived up to its billing again with last night's result!

Lads, I assume the boys are in Currans 2-3 times a week now. Has anyone heard anything about how training is going? Getting close to the first game back!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 09/10/2020 10:15:57    2296517

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well 2020 lived up to its billing again with last night's result!

Lads, I assume the boys are in Currans 2-3 times a week now. Has anyone heard anything about how training is going? Getting close to the first game back!!"
Ireland played well last night though the hermit so maybe green shoots appearing pardon the pun.

IV heard nothing from training but we'll have our first Kerry team sheet today week with God's help.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 09/10/2020 11:20:48    2296533

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ireland played well last night though the hermit so maybe green shoots appearing pardon the pun.

IV heard nothing from training but we'll have our first Kerry team sheet today week with God's help."
Match being live streamed for €5. Any notional league game not televised van be purchased- deal being done though with hospitals and nursing homes for free accounts where no charge will apply.

€5.00 Well spent in my opinion.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 09/10/2020 11:51:17    2296539

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Match being live streamed for €5. Any notional league game not televised van be purchased- deal being done though with hospitals and nursing homes for free accounts where no charge will apply.

€5.00 Well spent in my opinion."
Oh that's brilliant, I'll look forward to be able to watch it so!

Wish I knew how training was shaping up and what the injury front is like!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 09/10/2020 12:17:51    2296547

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Match being live streamed for €5. Any notional league game not televised van be purchased- deal being done though with hospitals and nursing homes for free accounts where no charge will apply.

€5.00 Well spent in my opinion."
100% horse, il be all over that.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 09/10/2020 12:29:58    2296550

Link