Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ginelli:  "Hughes won't be a miss he got a black card. Mcardle got red very late on which is where's the confusion is I think.

Should have been abandoned half easy into second half imo as it was very dangerous for players could very easily have been serious injury for ant of them.
Great entertainment in the circumstances and great credit to both teams for the excitement given the horrendous conditions!! All to play for still...."
It was Brady who got the red, would be a big miss for Scotstown in replay and apparently the video doesn't pick it up but we all know what's going to happen here.

I was at the Latton v Clontibret game on Sunday. Best team won. Latton need a reliable free taker because they missed a couple of relatively easy ones. The game was probably won in the 10 mins after half time when Clontibret got the start to that half that Latton needed.

Felt a bit sorry for ref to be honest. Is there no tackling done in training anymore? Had to have been a dozen head high "tackles" in game. No need for any of them.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 07/10/2019 08:43:33    2241702

Link

Scotstown v Ballybay considering the conditions was an entertaining watch. Glad it ended in a draw because it did end up littered with errors that were all down to the pitch. There was water splashing up all over the place. It did get dangerous and I honestly thought it should have been abandoned due to player safety. Extra time just could not have been played.
Kieran Hughes did indeed get a black card. Scotstown did well to come back and then Ballybay did great to level the match twice whe it looked like they had run out of steam, I think based on the two clear goal chances that Ballybay mustered when the match was tight and time running out was the chance of getting them over the line and the reason some would feel that they did throw this one away.

Finally Paul Finlay - some performance. Conditions didn't seem to matter to him at all.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 328 - 07/10/2019 09:29:54    2241719

Link

Weekend matches

Scotstown v Ballybay in Clones 4.30 Saturday

Magheracloone v Donaghmoyne 3.30 Sunday in Inniskeen

Two tight matches to call

monaghanman99 (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 07/10/2019 16:41:12    2241883

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "It was Brady who got the red, would be a big miss for Scotstown in replay and apparently the video doesn't pick it up but we all know what's going to happen here.

I was at the Latton v Clontibret game on Sunday. Best team won. Latton need a reliable free taker because they missed a couple of relatively easy ones. The game was probably won in the 10 mins after half time when Clontibret got the start to that half that Latton needed.

Felt a bit sorry for ref to be honest. Is there no tackling done in training anymore? Had to have been a dozen head high "tackles" in game. No need for any of them."
I'm sorry footblock, but who is the Brady you're on about? Nobody called that on either side that I'm aware of???
McArdle got red for something near the scotstown goal in the late stages......

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 44 - 07/10/2019 22:37:10    2241947

Link

ballybay and magheracloone double

mrme (USA) - Posts: 22 - 08/10/2019 21:07:38    2242178

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "I'm sorry footblock, but who is the Brady you're on about? Nobody called that on either side that I'm aware of???
McArdle got red for something near the scotstown goal in the late stages......"
Yes sorry it was McArdle. Got it rescinded last night, as predicted.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 11/10/2019 14:08:21    2242820

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Yes sorry it was McArdle. Got it rescinded last night, as predicted."
Yeah....... given some of the reds that have been overturned recently it's no big surprise. Don't know why the refs bother to give reds any more

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 44 - 12/10/2019 08:04:42    2242948

Link

Another farcical end to the league campaigns in Monaghan I here. Semi finals being conceding
Teams playing a weakened team to suit others last weekend as well to avoid the drop. Same crack last year. The league campaigns need to be wrapped up well before championship if this is what is going on surely

222 (UK) - Posts: 529 - 12/10/2019 21:51:56    2243067

Link

Replying To 222:  "Another farcical end to the league campaigns in Monaghan I here. Semi finals being conceding
Teams playing a weakened team to suit others last weekend as well to avoid the drop. Same crack last year. The league campaigns need to be wrapped up well before championship if this is what is going on surely"
Totally agree but why would a team put out their full team when they have a county final in their respective leagues the week after?? once they are sure of promotion or even their place in that division that's all they want. The league needs a re jig maybe have top position just play second in a final. Or second and third play a semi and winner plays top team.

Maghercloone and Donaghmoyne put out second or third teams last week and it looks like Clontibret conceded to Carrick yesterday. Why risk players the week before their biggest day of the year. County board have no respect for players or the clubs. They just want the games played and the €€€ at the gates. Was at the Scotstown and Ballybay game last week in Clontibret.(Brutal day of rain) Walk in the gate to see 10-12 county board staff standing in orange bibs in sheltered areas. Doing absolutely nothing i must add. All out for their free day.
Fair play has to be given to all the clubs volunteers in all clubs who park cars in all the weather, make tea, coffee and sandwiches for all officials and these county board members who do nothing.

County Board need a real good look at themselves. Rant over!!

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 13/10/2019 12:01:08    2243115

Link

Clontibret conceded to carrick . This game was prob worth at least 1500 to the carrick club. Will the county board be reimbursing Carrick this money??? Tougher penalties for conceding needed.

cmxu (Monaghan) - Posts: 23 - 13/10/2019 12:24:58    2243119

Link

Replying To cmxu:  "Clontibret conceded to carrick . This game was prob worth at least 1500 to the carrick club. Will the county board be reimbursing Carrick this money??? Tougher penalties for conceding needed."
Agree on this also. Why not just allow it be refixtured. They have left it this long whats another two weeks?? The county board is the problem I wouldn't blame the teams. They are doing it cause of their players.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 13/10/2019 12:32:46    2243122

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Totally agree but why would a team put out their full team when they have a county final in their respective leagues the week after?? once they are sure of promotion or even their place in that division that's all they want. The league needs a re jig maybe have top position just play second in a final. Or second and third play a semi and winner plays top team.

Maghercloone and Donaghmoyne put out second or third teams last week and it looks like Clontibret conceded to Carrick yesterday. Why risk players the week before their biggest day of the year. County board have no respect for players or the clubs. They just want the games played and the €€€ at the gates. Was at the Scotstown and Ballybay game last week in Clontibret.(Brutal day of rain) Walk in the gate to see 10-12 county board staff standing in orange bibs in sheltered areas. Doing absolutely nothing i must add. All out for their free day.
Fair play has to be given to all the clubs volunteers in all clubs who park cars in all the weather, make tea, coffee and sandwiches for all officials and these county board members who do nothing.

County Board need a real good look at themselves. Rant over!!"
I totally second this, great post.
I've seen it myself too and the volunteers often get looked down upon by the county board and Ulster council, not painting them all with one brush but there is a vast difference in the work club volunteers put in and the county board

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 13/10/2019 13:23:15    2243136

Link

Was my first time seeing Scotstown and Ballybay this year.
Scotstown looked composed and confident, A Very good performance from McCarthy, class point in the first half and a well taken goal in the 2nd, keep in mind he had R.Wylie marking him. McCarey had a good game and contributed well,, as did K.Hughes, his point in the first half deserves a mention.

The Scotstown defence held Jap and C.McGuinness well and were solid in general, was a great ballybay goal too.
I'd prefer to see Drew be tried a few times at no.6 or a free role for Monaghan. Beggan is consistently good at county level but he looks really at ease for Scotstown, unreal to watch.

Whats everyone's predictions for the county final, will we see a 5 in a row in Monaghan? Who will pick up McManus in the final? I don't think we'll see K.Hughes being thrown on him this time. As far as I know the venue is yet to be confirmed

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 13/10/2019 13:32:45    2243141

Link

Replying To 222:  "Another farcical end to the league campaigns in Monaghan I here. Semi finals being conceding
Teams playing a weakened team to suit others last weekend as well to avoid the drop. Same crack last year. The league campaigns need to be wrapped up well before championship if this is what is going on surely"
I wrote about this a few weeks back and got criticized for it. The league needs to finish in August/September. It's a means to an end, simple as.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 749 - 13/10/2019 18:33:34    2243194

Link

The worst thing is that clontibret just needed to turn up on the day and they would have beaten Carrick. I'm one of Carrick's biggest supporters and follow them the whole time when the thing is going well but they don't have the cojones for the big day

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 14/10/2019 10:19:08    2243312

Link

Bit of a sour ending to the game at the weekend between Scotstown and Ballybay. A Ballybay forward will be looking at a bit of a ban based on the video doing the rounds - not that it now matters.

Ballybay really have a big problem getting over the line especially against Scotstown - attitude seems terrible and the scenes after the match seem to spell this out.

bigfrankt (Monaghan) - Posts: 123 - 14/10/2019 12:01:22    2243366

Link

Replying To bigfrankt:  "Bit of a sour ending to the game at the weekend between Scotstown and Ballybay. A Ballybay forward will be looking at a bit of a ban based on the video doing the rounds - not that it now matters.

Ballybay really have a big problem getting over the line especially against Scotstown - attitude seems terrible and the scenes after the match seem to spell this out."
Do you mind throwing some light on what happened after the game??

Agree with their attitude they seem to turn on each other when things get tough in games. Not a good sign in a team especially a team with so many leaders. (Jap,Wylies,McGuinness).

See the final fixed for Clones. Hopefully the weather picks up and we see two teams go at it. A shoot out be nice to see between two decent sides. Man on man let them play ball. Scotstown obviously favourites but Clontibret may rather that. Matchups be key on both teams but more so on the Scotstowns 6 forwards.

Maghercloone proved far too strong for Donaghmoyne. They never seemed in too much bother always looked comfortable

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 14/10/2019 14:42:54    2243420

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Do you mind throwing some light on what happened after the game??

Agree with their attitude they seem to turn on each other when things get tough in games. Not a good sign in a team especially a team with so many leaders. (Jap,Wylies,McGuinness).

See the final fixed for Clones. Hopefully the weather picks up and we see two teams go at it. A shoot out be nice to see between two decent sides. Man on man let them play ball. Scotstown obviously favourites but Clontibret may rather that. Matchups be key on both teams but more so on the Scotstowns 6 forwards.

Maghercloone proved far too strong for Donaghmoyne. They never seemed in too much bother always looked comfortable"
I dont want to name any names but a Scotstown player stretched out his hand to shake hands with a Ballybay player - Ballybay player walked towards him and drew out and hit him with a box in the face.

All caught on camera which I've seen but will wait and see what happens.

bigfrankt (Monaghan) - Posts: 123 - 14/10/2019 16:21:06    2243454

Link

Replying To bigfrankt:  "Bit of a sour ending to the game at the weekend between Scotstown and Ballybay. A Ballybay forward will be looking at a bit of a ban based on the video doing the rounds - not that it now matters.

Ballybay really have a big problem getting over the line especially against Scotstown - attitude seems terrible and the scenes after the match seem to spell this out."
There was a sour ending to the Ballybay v Scotstown game that Ballybay player might get a ban which no doubt will be turned over on appeal.
I think you have this all wrong with Ballybay. For a start they are the only team to give Scotstown any trouble in knock out championship over the last number of years. In the 4 years of this 4 in a row Ballybay have played Scotstown 6 times. They've drawn 2 and lost 4. They lost by 2 points in 2016, 3 points in semi final replay in 2017, same in last years final and 5 points on Sunday. No one else is laying a glove on Scotstown. Don't talk to me about Truagh, if Scotstown were taking that game seriously, at least one of the Hughes would have started. Semi finals and finals are where you separate the wheat from the chaff.
Everyone harps back to the semi final in 2017 and rightly so. Ballybay did throw it away to an extent. But ask yourselves this question; you're 8 points down going into injury time with your best player off injured and you haven't scored in 30 minutes. What would your team do? Would they have the determination, character, skill and bit of luck to keep going? Be honest with yourselves the answer is no! The only team I've seen do anything like it in my lifetime at club level was Blayney v Inniskeen in Carrick in 1990. And that was a great Blayney team. And that finished Inniskeen for a decade at least this Ballybay team came back again and again.
This Scotstown team could easily have 2 Ulster Clubs. Both finals lost in extra time. I don't think they are getting the credit they are due. And I think the reason is that a huge crowd turned up in Clontibret to see the Kilcar game a few years ago and they had an absolute disaster and everyone made a judgement on them.
Does anyone really give Clontibret any hope on Sunday? Seriously? Who picks up Kieran Hughes? There isn't a man in Monaghan can play him when he's right. Who takes McCarthy? Shane Carey is playing the best football of his career and Darren, giving the months off, is back to his best. And hopefully this championship has finally put to bed who should be hitting the long range frees for Monaghan, because it should be Rory. They have a set of backs who don't care about reputation and they only have 2 Clontibtet forwards to worry about and neither of those are 100% fit. Clontibret will do really well to keep it under 7 points. You can slag off Ballybay all you like. But the only team to challenge Scotstown next year will be the men in maroon. And they're the only team that Scotstown respect.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 14/10/2019 17:22:24    2243483

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Totally agree but why would a team put out their full team when they have a county final in their respective leagues the week after?? once they are sure of promotion or even their place in that division that's all they want. The league needs a re jig maybe have top position just play second in a final. Or second and third play a semi and winner plays top team.

County Board need a real good look at themselves. Rant over!!"
You are a jackass. Without them bibs there be no championship. The bibs I saw certainly weren't in shelter. They were soaked to the skin. What have you ever done for club or county? So give us your plan to run off club and county fixtures each year.
.....or will you just keep blathering nonsense.........RANT OVER.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 120 - 15/10/2019 01:58:45    2243592

Link