Down Forum

Can Kilcoo Really Win- And How Will The Ulster Champs Fair In All Ireland

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To crafty:  "Kilcoo didnt back themselves and their own game. They went out to stop Corofin by packing their defence but by doing that they were never going to score enough to win. Lots of teams have been close to Corofin in the closing stages of games and have all ended up like Kilcoo. Dr Crokes beat Corofin by attacking them from all angles. The Ref did all he could for you by playing 11 mins injury time in the first half when he should have played 5!"
Fine achievement, by a top class team that play a very attractive style of football. Maybe Kilcoo lacked the quality of players available to Dr Crokes, I think their coach will know his team better than you and I. Maybe being a man down for the second half didn't help Kilcoo. Who knows?

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 19/01/2020 21:12:27    2260931

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Kilcoo didnt back themselves and their own game. They went out to stop Corofin by packing their defence but by doing that they were never going to score enough to win. Lots of teams have been close to Corofin in the closing stages of games and have all ended up like Kilcoo. Dr Crokes beat Corofin by attacking them from all angles. The Ref did all he could for you by playing 11 mins injury time in the first half when he should have played 5!"
I think you are a bit harsh on the ref by saying "he should have played 5". 5 is the minimum and he is within his rights to allow for more. There were a fair few stoppages in the 5 but not another 6. To me, I don't know why he gave the black card and at the same time brought the ball forward, double penalty I thought. After giving the black if he got abuse from the player in receipt of the black card, then a red card but the free is not advanced. All said Corofin regrouped better for extra time. In normal time they appeared to think it 'would' happen rather than 'make' it happen and so showed their true experience in the extra time. Is their hunger on the wane? Time, my friend will tell. Will they survive another drawn final in Galway?

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 738 - 20/01/2020 00:53:37    2260977

Link

Replying To MillerX:  "I think you are a bit harsh on the ref by saying "he should have played 5". 5 is the minimum and he is within his rights to allow for more. There were a fair few stoppages in the 5 but not another 6. To me, I don't know why he gave the black card and at the same time brought the ball forward, double penalty I thought. After giving the black if he got abuse from the player in receipt of the black card, then a red card but the free is not advanced. All said Corofin regrouped better for extra time. In normal time they appeared to think it 'would' happen rather than 'make' it happen and so showed their true experience in the extra time. Is their hunger on the wane? Time, my friend will tell. Will they survive another drawn final in Galway?"
The free was taking forward because Lafferty tried to take a quick free kick and then ball was hit out of his by a corofin player. I think the goal 100% shouldn't have stood as young Brannigan was taking out of it when going for the ball. 3-4 minutes before that Faragher the Corofin number 14 was going for a ball on the 13 line looked over his shoulder and when touched went down like a bag spuds and got the free. Either way on the day the correct team won but kilcoo will be kicking themselves as that game was there for the taking.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 362 - 20/01/2020 11:09:44    2261032

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "The free was taking forward because Lafferty tried to take a quick free kick and then ball was hit out of his by a corofin player. I think the goal 100% shouldn't have stood as young Brannigan was taking out of it when going for the ball. 3-4 minutes before that Faragher the Corofin number 14 was going for a ball on the 13 line looked over his shoulder and when touched went down like a bag spuds and got the free. Either way on the day the correct team won but kilcoo will be kicking themselves as that game was there for the taking."
agree Kilcoo left it behind in the first half is it my imagination or has the GAA gone real soft whats the opinion on the Kilcoo red card was it definately a RED in the Hurling what seems to me shoulder to shoulder frees & yellow cards handed out. Corofin were cynical enough when needed Captain a bit cocky in speech I thought as opposed to Hurling captain
Overall i though the day lacked a bit of Soul compared to Paddys day not broken dont fix it the GAA did away with u-12 competition in total and dropped Feile fora while as well no need for those changes

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 20/01/2020 15:20:46    2261129

Link

Kilcoo deff left this one behind them, they should have won the game in the 60 minutes the better team in my opinion ,
Corofin did in fairness come out all guns blazing in extra time ,And I suppose a not All Ireland winners for nothing. Have to say Kilcoo gave us some great days out on this great journey of theirs and did their club and county proud along the way, Hopefully after a well earned rest those who are asked to go to the county will do so , and who knows An Ulster might come our way sooner than we think

germac (Down) - Posts: 291 - 20/01/2020 23:28:49    2261236

Link

Replying To clooney:  "agree Kilcoo left it behind in the first half is it my imagination or has the GAA gone real soft whats the opinion on the Kilcoo red card was it definately a RED in the Hurling what seems to me shoulder to shoulder frees & yellow cards handed out. Corofin were cynical enough when needed Captain a bit cocky in speech I thought as opposed to Hurling captain
Overall i though the day lacked a bit of Soul compared to Paddys day not broken dont fix it the GAA did away with u-12 competition in total and dropped Feile fora while as well no need for those changes"
Sure what would a Clare man know about football in fairness? As for being "cocky" I think Clare people have perfected that particular art if they ever win anything significant and that is rare thank God! The ref didn't give Corofin a free for the first 20 mins of the game (he had given Kilcoo about 10 at that stage) and he blatantly ignored several examples of Kilcoo cynicism / off the ball hits but penalised Corofin even if it was 50/50 at best and he allowed 11 mins injury time instead of the 5 allocated to try to get Kilcoo to draw it at least. I don't think he should be in that job after proper evaluation of his "performance". In extra time, he decided to be a bit more "balanced" when Corofin were clearly going to win the game. The bottom line is that Kilcoo scored 3 points from play over 94 minutes including extra time / injury time and Corofin scored 1 - 8 from play (despite not being at their best no doubt) so there is no argument over who the better team was. That is why Corofin are the greatest football club team of all time and the first to win 3 in a row. Come back to us when the Corofin in Clare do the same!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2384 - 21/01/2020 13:21:58    2261314

Link

Corofin definitely better team extra time. Kilcoo were better in the normal and deserved draw at very least. If match had followed previous rules and went to replay I fancy kilcoo would win it.

Well done on winning 3 in a row hopefully we will meet again.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 299 - 21/01/2020 18:22:15    2261392

Link