Donegal Forum

Club Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Be Christ I've opened a can of worms here!
I wouldn't know the ins and outs of it, just from when I used to talk to Michael Meehan in our college days I always got the impression that Caltra were limited resources wise.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 21/10/2016 13:00:13    1928141

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Be Christ I've opened a can of worms here!
I wouldn't know the ins and outs of it, just from when I used to talk to Michael Meehan in our college days I always got the impression that Caltra were limited resources wise."
i think a lot of people on here dont understand the size of parish glenswilly has to pick from , its a credit to them being in 5 finals in 9 years winning 3 and getting to an ulster final in 13

biglad92 (Donegal) - Posts: 49 - 21/10/2016 13:58:00    1928154

Link

Replying To biglad92:  "i think a lot of people on here dont understand the size of parish glenswilly has to pick from , its a credit to them being in 5 finals in 9 years winning 3 and getting to an ulster final in 13"
Aye, they do have a brave pick from Bomany, Newmills, Trentagh, Churchill, Glendowan, Upper and Lower Glen to halfway to Fintown. It's a massive area of houses and people. And they still bring in a goalkeeper and full-back from outside the area.
No wonder they can put out 3 Senior teams, and 2 of them can win the Championship this year, and the other win their championship last year.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - Posts: 583 - 24/10/2016 09:56:52    1928561

Link

there will always be a few haters

biglad92 (Donegal) - Posts: 49 - 24/10/2016 12:22:50    1928612

Link

Replying To biglad92:  "there will always be a few haters"
Facts are such a pesky thing aren't they.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - Posts: 583 - 24/10/2016 14:37:14    1928645

Link

Replying To donegal_insider:  "Facts are such a pesky thing aren't they."
they are indeed but im sure the men from the glen dont care top flight secured for another year and the doc in the clubhouse

biglad92 (Donegal) - Posts: 49 - 24/10/2016 16:08:20    1928665

Link

Replying To donegal_insider:  "Aye, they do have a brave pick from Bomany, Newmills, Trentagh, Churchill, Glendowan, Upper and Lower Glen to halfway to Fintown. It's a massive area of houses and people. And they still bring in a goalkeeper and full-back from outside the area.
No wonder they can put out 3 Senior teams, and 2 of them can win the Championship this year, and the other win their championship last year."
What a bitter bitter post......

They are a cracking little club- relatively new aswell, only formed over 30 years ago and in fact only playing senior football less than 10 years and have contested 5 finals already.

think the rest of ye out there could learn a lot from them...

There is no club in Ireland where every single member originates from the area- stupid thing to throw at them.

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 24/10/2016 19:39:16    1928713

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "What a bitter bitter post......

They are a cracking little club- relatively new aswell, only formed over 30 years ago and in fact only playing senior football less than 10 years and have contested 5 finals already.

There is no club in Ireland where every single member originates from the area- stupid thing to throw at them."
I don't think it's bitter to point out that they're not a small club. They've been very successful in the past few years, and it's very much deserved, but it's wrong in the extreme to call them a small club. They field 3 adult men teams and they've won the Championship in each grade in the last 2 year. That's the pick that they have. Again, it's just facts.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - Posts: 583 - 25/10/2016 08:56:39    1928784

Link

Replying To donegal_insider:  "I don't think it's bitter to point out that they're not a small club. They've been very successful in the past few years, and it's very much deserved, but it's wrong in the extreme to call them a small club. They field 3 adult men teams and they've won the Championship in each grade in the last 2 year. That's the pick that they have. Again, it's just facts."
They cover a vast area, but the population is pretty sparse in most of that area apart from Bomany / Newmills and around Churchill. Not the smallest club around by any means, but they are out performing many other clubs around with larger population centres (Four Masters, Ballyshannon, Buncrana, McCools to name a few)

I think Glenswilly are a great club who have a committed bunch of people doing great work there. Obviously the fact that they have Murphy and Gallagher is a huge in terms of the team, but they're also a draw in terms of getting people behind the club and getting involved, and getting every available kid into the system. Success breeds success. Every kid in the Glenswilly area is mad for football now. They are an example to all clubs in the lower divisions on what can happen (hats off to Milford this year too)

I do think their time will pass eventually and they will fall back into the pack, that's the nature of things, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 25/10/2016 11:37:55    1928809

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "They cover a vast area, but the population is pretty sparse in most of that area apart from Bomany / Newmills and around Churchill. Not the smallest club around by any means, but they are out performing many other clubs around with larger population centres (Four Masters, Ballyshannon, Buncrana, McCools to name a few)

I think Glenswilly are a great club who have a committed bunch of people doing great work there. Obviously the fact that they have Murphy and Gallagher is a huge in terms of the team, but they're also a draw in terms of getting people behind the club and getting involved, and getting every available kid into the system. Success breeds success. Every kid in the Glenswilly area is mad for football now. They are an example to all clubs in the lower divisions on what can happen (hats off to Milford this year too)

I do think their time will pass eventually and they will fall back into the pack, that's the nature of things, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that."
Agree completely in the success breeding success. Any child in the area who's on the border with another club will want to go to Glenswilly for the Murphy factor. And unless the parents are involved in another club, they're going to encourage that. They might have a levelling off in 5 years or so when some of the more experienced players retire, and before they get to reap the rewards of their recent success but would only expect that to last a few years, and with Murphy they'll still stay Senior until they can get the younger players brought through.
This isn't to take away from their achievements by the way, 5 final appearances in 10 year, with 3 wins in 6 years is a massive achievement for any club regardless of size, but they can't realistically claim to be a small club.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - Posts: 583 - 25/10/2016 11:57:43    1928812

Link

Replying To donegal_insider:  "Agree completely in the success breeding success. Any child in the area who's on the border with another club will want to go to Glenswilly for the Murphy factor. And unless the parents are involved in another club, they're going to encourage that. They might have a levelling off in 5 years or so when some of the more experienced players retire, and before they get to reap the rewards of their recent success but would only expect that to last a few years, and with Murphy they'll still stay Senior until they can get the younger players brought through.
This isn't to take away from their achievements by the way, 5 final appearances in 10 year, with 3 wins in 6 years is a massive achievement for any club regardless of size, but they can't realistically claim to be a small club."
Is this all coming back around to the club boundary discussion? Minefield!!

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 25/10/2016 12:17:32    1928820

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Is this all coming back around to the club boundary discussion? Minefield!!"
No! Let's definitely not go down that route. I'll just back away slowly mumbling congratulations.

donegal_insider (Donegal) - Posts: 583 - 25/10/2016 13:01:39    1928845

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "What a bitter bitter post......

There is no club in Ireland where every single member originates from the area- stupid thing to throw at them."
He's back!!!!!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 25/10/2016 19:24:48    1928979

Link

How do we reckon the Glen men will go this weekend? Down football has been at a low ebb in recent years at county level but the Kilcoo boys have been cleaning up on the club scene. They disposed of a good Scotstown side in the preliminary. I've always rated Conor Laverty as a very tricky and intelligent footballer. I assume he'd be one of their main men along with the Johnstons.

But Glenswilly are formidable enough in their own right. They're seasoned campaigners at this stage and know how to handle tight matches. Plus, with the jewels in the crown, Murphy and big Neil they'll always have a chance.
Difficult to call but I'll give Glenswilly a hesitant nod by a couple of points.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 28/10/2016 15:29:06    1929860

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "How do we reckon the Glen men will go this weekend? Down football has been at a low ebb in recent years at county level but the Kilcoo boys have been cleaning up on the club scene. They disposed of a good Scotstown side in the preliminary. I've always rated Conor Laverty as a very tricky and intelligent footballer. I assume he'd be one of their main men along with the Johnstons.

But Glenswilly are formidable enough in their own right. They're seasoned campaigners at this stage and know how to handle tight matches. Plus, with the jewels in the crown, Murphy and big Neil they'll always have a chance.
Difficult to call but I'll give Glenswilly a hesitant nod by a couple of points."
I see this one as a complete 50/50 game and wouldn't be surprised if it ended level. It would be great to see Glenswilly go one step further than they did in 2013 but in saying that from a selfish Donegal supporters view I also wouldn't mind seeing them lose this weekend so that Murphy could get some much needed rest for the 2017 season. He didn't look in need of a rest a few weeks ago but you'd like him to rest up and get over the knee injury he's carrying and be fresh for next year. If Glen do go deep in the club championship then you'd hope that Murphy and RG will have the sense to manage his workload over the winter months.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 28/10/2016 16:10:42    1929876

Link

Rest up for Michael will be playing for UUJ in Sigerson Cup. Martin Mc Hugh has assembled an array of top class talent who are intent on glory in 2017.Be interesting if Donegal are in same section as UUJ in Mc Kenna cup.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 28/10/2016 19:30:15    1929917

Link

Kilcoo by 5 or 6 , Their a serious outfit , and the game is in Parc Esler

germac (Down) - Posts: 294 - 28/10/2016 21:35:46    1929941

Link

Yep got that spot on

germac (Down) - Posts: 294 - 30/10/2016 20:04:02    1930270

Link