Donegal Forum

Donegal v Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Are there any plans to bring Colm McFadden, Eamon McGee etc into the County underage coaching system?

It would be such a waste if they didn't, especially for men who clearly have gained so much insight from working under the Jim McGuinness/Rory Gallagher era since 2011, getting a deep understanding of high performance coaching.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 09/08/2016 01:20:51    1898520

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "Are there any plans to bring Colm McFadden, Eamon McGee etc into the County underage coaching system?

It would be such a waste if they didn't, especially for men who clearly have gained so much insight from working under the Jim McGuinness/Rory Gallagher era since 2011, getting a deep understanding of high performance coaching."
It would good to get them involved. McFadden was part of Jim's backroom team for the under 21's in 2010 so hopefully he has an interest to get back involved. In saying that it might be a difficult one to explain to the wife/partner that they are away to coach a team when they think they are getting the husband/partner back especially when young children are at home.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 09/08/2016 10:14:56    1898594

Link

I don't think we ever looked like winning the Dublin game. Dublin just looked superior to us for most of the match, only their indiscipline and the fact they gave us the ball in the lead up to the goal kept us in the game. Yet again we failed to score enough points to trouble a top team and would have need at least 3 goals to win. For me this season has turned out very similar to last year and I see little or no improvement in the team. The manager just keeps doing the same things that failed previously. Our game plan is one dimensional and can't be sustained for 70+ minutes. The worst part is that none of the younger players were tried out during those meaningless league games.

Sad to say but I have lost faith in the management team. I just can't see them being able to rebuild a team with in experienced players.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 09/08/2016 10:23:46    1898606

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I don't think we ever looked like winning the Dublin game. Dublin just looked superior to us for most of the match, only their indiscipline and the fact they gave us the ball in the lead up to the goal kept us in the game. Yet again we failed to score enough points to trouble a top team and would have need at least 3 goals to win. For me this season has turned out very similar to last year and I see little or no improvement in the team. The manager just keeps doing the same things that failed previously. Our game plan is one dimensional and can't be sustained for 70+ minutes. The worst part is that none of the younger players were tried out during those meaningless league games.

Sad to say but I have lost faith in the management team. I just can't see them being able to rebuild a team with in experienced players."
I agree with you regarding the game on saturday. I never felt we were in it even though the lads gave their all we just never really got going. I was in a similar frame of mind about our Management team during and after the game but I actually bumped into one of the players in the Croke Park Hotel afterwards and he had a different take on the way the game panned out than I did. He said it was hard to explain how good this Dublin team are, he has never played against a team with such pace and strength and even though Donegal wanted to close them down when they had the extra man it was taking too much effort to get near a couple of their players and leaving gaps for Dublin to exploit. I obviously didn't question the management when speaking to him but I was left thinking that even if Jim was still about we would of struggled to get near them so I think we should probably give RG another year but as I said before he needs to sort out his backroom team.

On a litghter side of things, the player I was talking with was saying how none of the players had made plans for after the game and he said only 5 or so of them stayed in Dublin afterwards. This shows you how the mindset of Dongeal players have changed since before Jim was in charge. They believed they were going to win the match beforehand and hadn't the nice pair of jeans packed in the bag for the night out in Dublin as was the case in the past.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 09/08/2016 13:07:41    1898752

Link

In the main forum I've been probably been silly enough to get involved in contrasting views regarding Donegal's treatment of Connolly during the game. First off, like many of you I have accepted that we were beaten by a great team and it was a game we never really looked like winning but when I went into to read some of the comments on the game on the main forum and I had planned to congratulate the Dublin fans on their win etc I couldn't get over the accuasations of how Donegal gave Connolly special treatment which was the reason he ended up getting sent off. Talk about sore winnners!

I actually watched alot of Connolly in the first half because I assume like many of you I couldn't believe who was assigned to mark him. We all know Marty O'Reilly is a good player and has come on leaps and bounds this year but he's not even a natural defender and RG decided to put him on the best player in Ireland who if we're being honest had a free run in the first half. Some Dublin fans are making out that O'Reilly gave Connolly so much abuse that it was the reason he ended up getting sent off. What's even funnier is the seem to think Ryan McHugh targeted Connolly off the ball dragging him to the ground for first his first yellow even though Dongeal had possession and Ryan was doing what he always does by trying to support the man on the ball before being stopped in his tracks by Connolly. He was sent off on saturday because he lacked discipline and was nothing to with being targeted. We all know if these accusations were made against a few certain members of our team we'd probably all agree there's no smoke without fire but to accuse O'Reilly and McHugh is actually hilarious.

In fairness Connolly has been the recipent of foul play from opposition players and some bad decisions from officals in the past but this wasn't the case against Dongeal on saturday and I just can't get over some Dublin fans reaction to the so called "injustice". The thing is I know the majority of Dublin supporters aren't so one sided in their view and realise Connolly's discipline is an issue but I'm not buying the Connolly is always the victim line some of them have gone with.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 09/08/2016 13:33:18    1898769

Link

Mobot it actually doesn't surprise me that we couldn't get anywhere near the Dublin players as it was obvious we had some very tired legs in the Cork game. This is why RG should have made some changes to the starting line-up and give some of the older a role as subs. The other problem is that our constant running game is not sustainable for entire match & to pursue this game plan with a good few 30+ players in our starting line up make no sense to me.

Good to hear that most of the players went home on Saturday night as it does indeed show how things have changed. On Diarmuid Connolly I agree with you, he is his own worst enemy. There is no way Marty Reilly winds up players or sledges. What the hell was Marty Reilly marking him for in the first place? Reilly has come on leaps and bounds this year but to ask him to mark Connolly was just too much.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 09/08/2016 14:46:37    1898840

Link

In all honesty I think RG wanted Marty to get on the ball and force Connolly backwards which was optimistic and a massive gamble that didn't pay off at all. It's the only thing I can think of as to why he'd be put on Connolly anyway, not that it makes any more sense.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 09/08/2016 16:57:24    1898951

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Mobot it actually doesn't surprise me that we couldn't get anywhere near the Dublin players as it was obvious we had some very tired legs in the Cork game. This is why RG should have made some changes to the starting line-up and give some of the older a role as subs. The other problem is that our constant running game is not sustainable for entire match & to pursue this game plan with a good few 30+ players in our starting line up make no sense to me.

Good to hear that most of the players went home on Saturday night as it does indeed show how things have changed. On Diarmuid Connolly I agree with you, he is his own worst enemy. There is no way Marty Reilly winds up players or sledges. What the hell was Marty Reilly marking him for in the first place? Reilly has come on leaps and bounds this year but to ask him to mark Connolly was just too much."
I dont feel we are looking at the game correctly. We didn't try the running game for 70 minutes. In fact we kicked away a wild amount of ball by trying to play it in long. Now you can say that the boys didn't look like the practised that style of play but we did change things up since the ulster final. I would have liked more younger players on too but Rory learned his lesson too late this year. I beleive things will be different next year. I feel we will be introducing a lot more younger backs and 1 midfielder, along with stephen McBrearty and Ciaran Thompson having bigger parts to play.

Marty O Reilly was always going to be marking one of their best players and has been since the ulster final where he marked Donnelly before his Black and against cork where he marked Kerrigan anytime he was out the field. The idea behind it is while he does go forward he doesn't as much as the rest of our half backs so is a better choice for defending a danger man than say Ryan McHugh or Frank.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 09/08/2016 17:25:37    1898979

Link

No question the tough games caught up with the lads especially in the 2nd half hence Donegal did not press like we would have liked. The game was actually lost and won in the 1st half with a combination of bad wides on our behalf and some worldies from the Dubs. I checked into the thread on the main forum Mobot but was not rising to the farcical opinion of some blinded Dubs. No question Connolly deserved his 2 bookings and as shown on TV the first was warranted. The main talking point from that incident was why the hell was Ryan booked? Sure Donegal had the ball hence he wanted to get forward. I agree with the notion we did try to vary our play with the long ball. The problem here was delivery was poor quality and usually not delivered when it should have been. Like others I think we concentrated on the running aspect and the long ball was an afterthought. Moving forward we need to develop other variations of play while also utilizing game. I don't think Donegal have many peers in this regard when in full flight as seen by the goal scored at the weekend.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 09/08/2016 22:07:45    1899157

Link

I dont feel we are looking at the game correctly. We didn't try the running game for 70 minutes. In fact we kicked away a wild amount of ball by trying to play it in long. Now you can say that the boys didn't look like the practised that style of play but we did change things up since the ulster final. I would have liked more younger players on too but Rory learned his lesson too late this year. I beleive things will be different next year. I feel we will be introducing a lot more younger backs and 1 midfielder, along with stephen McBrearty and Ciaran Thompson having bigger parts to play.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts:1003 - 09/08/2016 17:25:37

Knowing how Dublin set up, I felt Rory could have made Dublin very uncomfortable by pushing a player up on Cian O'Sullivan. Dublin's tweaked defensive set up was designed to address the weakness exposed by Donegal in 2014, and Donegal are not a million miles away from that style now in 2016. So I felt in order to beat Dublin this time, and beat them well, Donegal needed to negate the Dublin sweeper and also peg back Dublin's 2 wing backs who are stationed around the halfway line with the view to slowing down runners.

It requires a sightly more expansive approach, but not only would it negate Dublin's defensive screen, It would speed up the Donegal transition from defence to attack. Station a half forward (Odhran MacNiallais) on the midfield side of the Dublin 45, his role is to roam around that location for the entire match, act as a link man, but more importantly distract Cian O'Sullivan. He must always be in the Dublin half, midfield side of the Dublin sweeper. He would have a counterpart on the Donegal side of midfield, again a player who stays in an advanced role. These two players would switch a set periods, confusing the situation for the Dublin sweeper.

I couldn't understand why Donegal didn't attempt something like this, I feel it would have worked a treat.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 10/08/2016 01:42:01    1899197

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "I dont feel we are looking at the game correctly. We didn't try the running game for 70 minutes. In fact we kicked away a wild amount of ball by trying to play it in long. Now you can say that the boys didn't look like the practised that style of play but we did change things up since the ulster final. I would have liked more younger players on too but Rory learned his lesson too late this year. I beleive things will be different next year. I feel we will be introducing a lot more younger backs and 1 midfielder, along with stephen McBrearty and Ciaran Thompson having bigger parts to play.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts:1003 - 09/08/2016 17:25:37

Knowing how Dublin set up, I felt Rory could have made Dublin very uncomfortable by pushing a player up on Cian O'Sullivan. Dublin's tweaked defensive set up was designed to address the weakness exposed by Donegal in 2014, and Donegal are not a million miles away from that style now in 2016. So I felt in order to beat Dublin this time, and beat them well, Donegal needed to negate the Dublin sweeper and also peg back Dublin's 2 wing backs who are stationed around the halfway line with the view to slowing down runners.

It requires a sightly more expansive approach, but not only would it negate Dublin's defensive screen, It would speed up the Donegal transition from defence to attack. Station a half forward (Odhran MacNiallais) on the midfield side of the Dublin 45, his role is to roam around that location for the entire match, act as a link man, but more importantly distract Cian O'Sullivan. He must always be in the Dublin half, midfield side of the Dublin sweeper. He would have a counterpart on the Donegal side of midfield, again a player who stays in an advanced role. These two players would switch a set periods, confusing the situation for the Dublin sweeper.

I couldn't understand why Donegal didn't attempt something like this, I feel it would have worked a treat."
Gary this would have been worth a try, it would also have kept McNeilis up front where he can do most damage. However this would have necessitated Rory playing 3 men up front, MM and McBrearty inside with McNeilis in the half forward line. This goes against the game plan Rory has implemented where everybody filters back to defend, try to turn the opposition over and break forward at speed. The player(s) in the full forward line stay right on top of the keeper to act as a decoy & keep the full backs pinned back , probably to leave room for the players breaking forward. This is the game plan we have been watching for 2 years now and will be the same again next year I fear. The only variation on our tactics is moving MM in and out of full forward. Dublin do look beatable but you need to be brace and attack them.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 10/08/2016 09:17:56    1899221

Link

some interesting views on here about the dublin match. donegals season ended much the same as last year and it seems to me that nothing changed on the pitch from last year , lessons were not learned. this is something we know all about in dublin as 2014 taught jim gavin a very valuable lesson and the boys are all the better for it now. many of us dubs would have been very concerned about playing donegal but the game was more or less dead at half time. donegal seemed to have no plan other than to hold the dublin score. the placing of martin o reily on dermo was also very odd as he was one of donegals best forwards in ulster. why was this move made. i would have thought paddy mc grath a better option. in the second half the goal brought donegal into it and with 25 minutes to go we were down to 14, had no berno on the pitch and remember our 3 best backs were not on the pitch. what happened next was hard to fathom, donegal just sat back and let dublin play, why didnt donegal look to take the game to dublin. from what i can see donegal have lots of good players but tactically its all wrong, its very hard to figure out what rg is trying to achieve with the team as they seem to retreat into a shell come the big games, last year again monaghan and mayo and this year against tyrone and dublin. i also dont think its good enough to say that the players are coming through so let the management stay. donegal made the mistake before of having players coming through but not having the right management. the donegal posters will know best but for me you are being short changed by a management set up whose lack of experience and willingness to change at the top level is hurting your team with at least 2 ulsters blown.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 10/08/2016 11:09:35    1899301

Link

Replying To giveme30:  "some interesting views on here about the dublin match. donegals season ended much the same as last year and it seems to me that nothing changed on the pitch from last year , lessons were not learned. this is something we know all about in dublin as 2014 taught jim gavin a very valuable lesson and the boys are all the better for it now. many of us dubs would have been very concerned about playing donegal but the game was more or less dead at half time. donegal seemed to have no plan other than to hold the dublin score. the placing of martin o reily on dermo was also very odd as he was one of donegals best forwards in ulster. why was this move made. i would have thought paddy mc grath a better option. in the second half the goal brought donegal into it and with 25 minutes to go we were down to 14, had no berno on the pitch and remember our 3 best backs were not on the pitch. what happened next was hard to fathom, donegal just sat back and let dublin play, why didnt donegal look to take the game to dublin. from what i can see donegal have lots of good players but tactically its all wrong, its very hard to figure out what rg is trying to achieve with the team as they seem to retreat into a shell come the big games, last year again monaghan and mayo and this year against tyrone and dublin. i also dont think its good enough to say that the players are coming through so let the management stay. donegal made the mistake before of having players coming through but not having the right management. the donegal posters will know best but for me you are being short changed by a management set up whose lack of experience and willingness to change at the top level is hurting your team with at least 2 ulsters blown."
I don't normally agree with what Dublin or indeed other Counties say about us but this time I have to agree with your observations u r spot on .Some Donegal supporters were claiming that Rory Gallagher was the brains behind Donegal s success ,which was blown out of the water in2014 .These same people r calling for another three years for the same management team at the end of that we will still have won nothing .Leaving players like Leo ,Ciaran T,Stephan Mc B and also Colm McFadden on the bench while at the same time taking back on tired players who were just taken off shows clearly that this management knows nothing and has learned nothing about football management .The sad thing about it that those senior player s wasted two years more of their private lives for nothing .A blind man can c what is happening to Donegal football after what Jim McGuinness had done .What a waste of good talent .Its over now to c if that is what Donegal wants

Tonyjack61 (Donegal) - Posts: 172 - 10/08/2016 12:09:00    1899333

Link

Replying To Tonyjack61:  "I don't normally agree with what Dublin or indeed other Counties say about us but this time I have to agree with your observations u r spot on .Some Donegal supporters were claiming that Rory Gallagher was the brains behind Donegal s success ,which was blown out of the water in2014 .These same people r calling for another three years for the same management team at the end of that we will still have won nothing .Leaving players like Leo ,Ciaran T,Stephan Mc B and also Colm McFadden on the bench while at the same time taking back on tired players who were just taken off shows clearly that this management knows nothing and has learned nothing about football management .The sad thing about it that those senior player s wasted two years more of their private lives for nothing .A blind man can c what is happening to Donegal football after what Jim McGuinness had done .What a waste of good talent .Its over now to c if that is what Donegal wants"
Its ok calling for change if its for the better. i dont see many stand out canditates. for what its worth i dont know if rory will be there next year. he has a business. ayoung family etc.. but if he wants it he will get it .the prob he has now is if he commits nexy year it will be a rebuilding process that will take a few years. so thats where i have my doubts about rory wanting to commit. i have my doubts.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 886 - 10/08/2016 12:41:28    1899350

Link

If Kilcar were to win the senior championship this year the calls for Martín beag to step up would get louder I would imagine.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 10/08/2016 13:11:40    1899370

Link

players all went home saturday night Glenties actually had a full turn out sunday morning sending out a message that they intend to defend the maguire cup in 2017

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 10/08/2016 13:53:33    1899395

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Its ok calling for change if its for the better. i dont see many stand out canditates. for what its worth i dont know if rory will be there next year. he has a business. ayoung family etc.. but if he wants it he will get it .the prob he has now is if he commits nexy year it will be a rebuilding process that will take a few years. so thats where i have my doubts about rory wanting to commit. i have my doubts."
rorysboys I do agree that there are no standout managers within the county and you do raise a good point about Rory having his own business and a young family, so doubtful if he would be in it for the long term. I strongly feel that whoever is manager next year needs to take a more long term approach to the team and not worry about immediate success. We need to start building up a younger team with the likes of MM, Paddy McBrearty, Neil McGee, Ryan, Frank, Oran, etc. still the backbone of our side. OK we might not be as successful in the next year or two but we could have a really great side in 2/3 years time.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 10/08/2016 16:23:18    1899488

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "rorysboys I do agree that there are no standout managers within the county and you do raise a good point about Rory having his own business and a young family, so doubtful if he would be in it for the long term. I strongly feel that whoever is manager next year needs to take a more long term approach to the team and not worry about immediate success. We need to start building up a younger team with the likes of MM, Paddy McBrearty, Neil McGee, Ryan, Frank, Oran, etc. still the backbone of our side. OK we might not be as successful in the next year or two but we could have a really great side in 2/3 years time."
I would say Donegal's rebuilding is already well underway, considering that Colm McFadden and Christy Toye weren't starting this year, and Ciaran Gillespie is an able replacement for Eamon McGee. McGinley has been impressive in goal's, growing game on game.

In my opinion, 2/3 years never comes. You take what you can now with what you have, and do that every single year.

Donegal already have the players to beat any other team in the Country, they just need to be more ferocious in exploiting the oppositions weaknesses and force their own strengths into that. Dublin set up as expected, Donegal could have put them on the back-foot and caused mayhem for the Dubs, but were a tactical mess in the first half and also hit too many wides.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 11/08/2016 14:41:55    1899910

Link

Replying To giveme30:  "some interesting views on here about the dublin match. donegals season ended much the same as last year and it seems to me that nothing changed on the pitch from last year , lessons were not learned. this is something we know all about in dublin as 2014 taught jim gavin a very valuable lesson and the boys are all the better for it now. many of us dubs would have been very concerned about playing donegal but the game was more or less dead at half time. donegal seemed to have no plan other than to hold the dublin score. the placing of martin o reily on dermo was also very odd as he was one of donegals best forwards in ulster. why was this move made. i would have thought paddy mc grath a better option. in the second half the goal brought donegal into it and with 25 minutes to go we were down to 14, had no berno on the pitch and remember our 3 best backs were not on the pitch. what happened next was hard to fathom, donegal just sat back and let dublin play, why didnt donegal look to take the game to dublin. from what i can see donegal have lots of good players but tactically its all wrong, its very hard to figure out what rg is trying to achieve with the team as they seem to retreat into a shell come the big games, last year again monaghan and mayo and this year against tyrone and dublin. i also dont think its good enough to say that the players are coming through so let the management stay. donegal made the mistake before of having players coming through but not having the right management. the donegal posters will know best but for me you are being short changed by a management set up whose lack of experience and willingness to change at the top level is hurting your team with at least 2 ulsters blown."
We have not blown two Ulster's alone---- we have probably blown an under 21 and minor last year plus againu21 this year
Would go and say our u21 team last year and this year were as good as any.
Our minor team last year could have tested Kerry.
Now I put all those defeats down to management. ( poor management)
I think this year's minor management team should take over next year's u21's ( do any Donegal people agree with that)
My biggest problem now is that we will waste all the talent we have coming through.
I would not mind what outsiders are saying about Donegal being finished as they do not know what they are talking about. We know a lot about the young boys we have like S mcB E BG s MC Menamin Rory Carr M Carroll C Thompson plus in two years time Niall o Donnell J McGee C Gallagher etc but the biggest end of outside posters on here would not have heard tell of them
This is where a serious manager comes into it. Plus he has to have a couple of good men with him on the sideline ( I still say J Horan when the present management goes)
I think Maxie must have been the luckiest man ever to be involved in a senior county set-up
But this Dublin poster is completely right in what he sees wrong with Donegal football
Next year Ulster plays Leinster ( well I think I'm right) Could we land with a young hungry team backboned by N McGee F McGlynn M M Leo P mcB O MC Nellis( are we getting the best out of him or is he being wasted by tactics) the McHughs MM o Reilly P MC Grath C Gillispie plus some of the young boys mentioned above and have another right serious crack at the Dubs
As I pen this I'm taking it Dublin will be All Ireland champions if we do meet in 2017
Come on the Donegal minors --set the ball rolling --- the future is green and gold ( Donegal's green and gold)

SamOnErrigal (Donegal) - Posts: 1427 - 11/08/2016 20:13:24    1900061

Link