Donegal Forum

Pavillion building at the Centre of Excellence.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Somewhere north of €2.17million now for the complete project, although not sure if that includes pitch 5.

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts: 345 - 10/04/2018 17:26:39    2092179

Link

Have to agree with previous posts. Who will pay for the coe? My club is really struggling to put teams out with associated costs. We cannot afford more demands from our county board. It is quite clear that those developing Convoy have no clue what they are at. The project has stalled and there's no money to pay for it. Ryan how would u propose its paid for?

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 11/04/2018 00:04:46    2092255

Link

Replying To fatkeeper:  "Have to agree with previous posts. Who will pay for the coe? My club is really struggling to put teams out with associated costs. We cannot afford more demands from our county board. It is quite clear that those developing Convoy have no clue what they are at. The project has stalled and there's no money to pay for it. Ryan how would u propose its paid for?"
We do enough gaving out about our county teams. So if we want to dine at the top table this center of excellence is vital for our teams to gave us a chance to compete with the Dublin. Kerry's.and Tyrone's. If we don't want to spend the money that fine but don't expect miracles on the pitch.. I presume between grants and fundraisers the committee will be hoping to take in most of the money with the clubs getting off light enough. I must say that our treasurer is a very bright individual who does huge work and keeping him with us till convoy is complete is a must.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 886 - 11/04/2018 11:54:16    2092318

Link

I think its a valid question to ask where the money is going to come from as clubs find it a struggle to raise money for their own facilities. However if we are to compete at the top level we need a centre of excellence like the other top counties have. I believe clubs will also get to use this facility so its benefitting everyone.

They did a fundraiser in New York last year so hopefully ideas like that will raise the cash. I find it a struggle myself to sell tickets for my own club to raise funds, always end up buying them myself, therefore it is imperative that the county board are creative in terms of fundraising.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 11/04/2018 12:16:15    2092321

Link

Do we actually need a centre of excellence? Good coaching is what develops great young players, and this can be done on any given Gaelic Pitch, and we have quality GAA grounds all around the County. If Donegal GAA invested in 4 or 5 Club Grounds in different regions of the County, and upgraded those to facilitate more team sessions, would the player development outcome be any different?

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 11/04/2018 19:36:15    2092457

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I think its a valid question to ask where the money is going to come from as clubs find it a struggle to raise money for their own facilities. However if we are to compete at the top level we need a centre of excellence like the other top counties have. I believe clubs will also get to use this facility so its benefitting everyone.

They did a fundraiser in New York last year so hopefully ideas like that will raise the cash. I find it a struggle myself to sell tickets for my own club to raise funds, always end up buying them myself, therefore it is imperative that the county board are creative in terms of fundraising."
Indeed there are good ideas on fundraising for the project, but if clubs are going to be using it from what I have heard at the meeting the last night is everyone using it will be charged, now how county squads fit into that I'm not too sure, but the treasurer outlined the cost for running the place on a yearly basis after its completed and mentioned a fee of 10k a year for the use by Schools and other organisations thats probably the ladies he's on about! He said it cost about 10k in mantinence of each pitch yearly

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts: 345 - 11/04/2018 22:34:09    2092485

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Do we actually need a centre of excellence? Good coaching is what develops great young players, and this can be done on any given Gaelic Pitch, and we have quality GAA grounds all around the County. If Donegal GAA invested in 4 or 5 Club Grounds in different regions of the County, and upgraded those to facilitate more team sessions, would the player development outcome be any different?"
I think Derry were the first county to have a brilliant Centre of Excellence.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 12/04/2018 00:15:26    2092499

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Do we actually need a centre of excellence? Good coaching is what develops great young players, and this can be done on any given Gaelic Pitch, and we have quality GAA grounds all around the County. If Donegal GAA invested in 4 or 5 Club Grounds in different regions of the County, and upgraded those to facilitate more team sessions, would the player development outcome be any different?"
You are probably correct, it would be better to invest in upgrading 4/5 club training facilities around the county. But I'd say the county team want their own facility rather than sharing with the clubs. Personally I think the Centre of Excellence is a great idea but the funding does worry me.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 12/04/2018 11:13:18    2092535

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "You are probably correct, it would be better to invest in upgrading 4/5 club training facilities around the county. But I'd say the county team want their own facility rather than sharing with the clubs. Personally I think the Centre of Excellence is a great idea but the funding does worry me."
Look I like the idea of all of our County teams having their own facility, but I also see in a County as spread out as Donegal, that what works in other Counties might not strictly be the best option for Donegal. Now this has been underway for a long time, and I support it and will contribute financially to the project where possible. I just sometimes wonder whether we are doing it because every other County is at it, instead of analysing what would work best for the development of football in Donegal, as the end goal is to develop outstanding young players.

Areas in the East and North of the County with very large population centres like Ballybofey, Killygordon, Castlefin, Lifford, Raphoe, Convoy, Buncrana, Carndonagh have been lagging when it comes to producing County talent over the last decade, we need harness the massive potential these areas offer.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 12/04/2018 13:32:53    2092573

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Look I like the idea of all of our County teams having their own facility, but I also see in a County as spread out as Donegal, that what works in other Counties might not strictly be the best option for Donegal. Now this has been underway for a long time, and I support it and will contribute financially to the project where possible. I just sometimes wonder whether we are doing it because every other County is at it, instead of analysing what would work best for the development of football in Donegal, as the end goal is to develop outstanding young players.

Areas in the East and North of the County with very large population centres like Ballybofey, Killygordon, Castlefin, Lifford, Raphoe, Convoy, Buncrana, Carndonagh have been lagging when it comes to producing County talent over the last decade, we need harness the massive potential these areas offer."
Some of those towns have not got a strong Gaelic Football tradition but in Killygordon and Castlefinn Gaelic Football was always the number one sport.Ballybofey was mixed.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 12/04/2018 15:28:45    2092602

Link

I'm all for The Centre of Excellence and a home for Donegal GAA however I think this project was doomed to failure from the beginning.
The choice of site for the COE was geographically correct but it was an awful piece of ground, known to flood and costly to develop.
Then we have the building. Has anyone seen the plans? I seen them and don't think an awful lot about them. I've been in Garvaghy and Owenbeg and we are getting a very poor relation at a very expensive cost. I would like to know who were the people that prepared the brief for the architects and did they get any input from current players and management. Did they go and look at other facilities and see what works and doesn't. When this building is up, at whatever cost, this will be the home of Donegal GAA for a long time. I for one hope that it is eventually a place we can be proud of but from what I can see in the plans, it's a dickied up version of a 1980's grant aided clubhouse.
I'd request that any Donegal GAA person should have a look at the drawings that were granted planning permission, they are freely available on Donegal County Council's planning portal. If you don't like what you see then it's not too late to speak up.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 12/04/2018 22:52:39    2092698

Link

Tyrone supporters signed up years ago to donate cash, and this raised the required extra funding for the centre. Tyrone GAA then placed a large piece of glass in the lobby of Garvaghy with each name that donated large amounts of cash over that period. They've immortalised those that donated to the centre.

I think Donegal could raise millions with such a system

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 13/04/2018 13:17:06    2092820

Link

Heard David McLoone from county board on Highland this evening talking about Convoy. In fairness it sounds fantastic. He also outlined how it will be paid for too, 1m bank loan, 300k in grants and 700k in fundraising.

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 14/04/2018 21:44:40    2093026

Link