Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lochgarmanabu we played against the wind v cork/offaly and happened to win both those games this year. KK have nearly beaten EVERY team in the last ten years by 15/20 points or more.. hardly a yard stick on which to measure progression. I think you're forgetting the baseline from which the team was taken over in five years ago, hardly a solid foundation from which the management could build on. Been a New team over last two years. Really only starting again. Your comment's are really another chip on the shoulder comment/throw away comments, without really thinking or understanding what it takes to build a team from scratch.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 03/08/2016 00:37:45    1894436

Link

all this talk of liam dunne,jj etc putting in great work.yes they do,but they get very handsomely remunerated for their troubles.just like at club level.everybody knows this.nobody is doing anything for nothing here.
are people really happy after 5 years given the money we have spent that the furthest the team has got is a quarter final,and we never got out of 1b,and in year 4 were bet out of nowlan park after 20 minutes?i am not.nor was i then.
and anybody who is has an agenda here.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 03/08/2016 09:49:19    1894488

Link

So according to posters here our expectations are too high, we are in the 2nd tier of hurling, we started building 5 years ago and again apparently 2 years ago.

So 5 years ago we were in the 2nd tier of hurling and according to posters on here we are still in the 2nd tier of hurling but we are progressing well!

"Whether they like it or not we're in the 2nd tier of hurling counties and have been for a very long time. We are progressing well under the current setup," So we were 2nd tier 5 years ago, are still 2nd tier but progressing well!!!

" I think you're forgetting the baseline from which the team was taken over in five years ago, hardly a solid foundation from which the management could build on. Been a New team over last two years. Really only starting again" So which is it, starting from 5 years ago or starting from 2 years ago?? Either way we are at the same level as we were 5 years ago!!

"It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future." If only we had some quality young hurlers coming through, a couple of successful u21 teams with medals in their pockets who are used to beating the Kilkenny's and Dublins of this world would be nice for a start!

So in reality we were 2nd tier 5 years ago yet the same people who want continuity and say we are progressing well admit we are still 2nd tier today!

The fact is this team is capable of much much more than it has showed on a consistent basis. In 5 years we have only once came close to getting league promotion, that to me is a solid not unrealistic expectation for this group of players to start with, from there you get league hurling at a higher level which brings the team on further.

I like Liam Dunne as a player and a manager, his legacy as manager of the Wexford team will be a positive one in my book. No one knows whether this team will progress or regress if he stays for another year, likewise no one knows if the team would progress or regress under a new manager but how any one can say we are at the same level we were at 5 years ago yet admit progress and want continuity is beyond me? If thats a rallying call in support of the manager then he doesnt need any detractors!

Either way our beloved County Board need to make a decision and make it quickly. If its Liam Dunne for another year then the decision needs to be made quickly, we move on and we all get behind the team going forward, likewise if there is to be a change. In all my years ive yet to meet anyone in Wexford who had or has a personal agenda against Liam Dunne, the problem is that certain people on here think if a person feels we might be better off having a different manager than Dunne its for personal reasons when in fact it isnt, its simply an opinion we might be better off with a new man at the helm. To claim its personal is just trying to distract from the point being made.

Whatever people opinions are dont belittle them by trying to make out they are something more sinister than a genuine interest in whats best for Wexford hurling. And that works for those who believe Dunne should stay or we should have a new man.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 03/08/2016 10:53:50    1894546

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "all this talk of liam dunne,jj etc putting in great work.yes they do,but they get very handsomely remunerated for their troubles.just like at club level.everybody knows this.nobody is doing anything for nothing here.
are people really happy after 5 years given the money we have spent that the furthest the team has got is a quarter final,and we never got out of 1b,and in year 4 were bet out of nowlan park after 20 minutes?i am not.nor was i then.
and anybody who is has an agenda here."
You got into a bit of a stagger there at the end but I get your point, up to then. But listen, this is not about money, regardless of who's managing the team their going to get paid as managers dId in the past, this is about the best man for the job. Whether we like him or not, when Liam Dunne took over as manager, the setup under Bonner had degenerated so much we were struggling to beat 3rd tier teams and sometimes not succeeding. Maybe he had no option, but his plan was to develop a whole new young squad that when they would gel, they could compete against anyone. To be fair to him, no one can say that he hasn't achieved the first phase of his plan and it is now that we are entering the second phase. During the initial process he looked at every young hurler with potential in the County and hrough his involvement with underage and club hurling he would have known a lot of them. While moulding the panel he tried players in varous positions, which did lead to a different team togging out everyday. But surely you'd agree, to get the best team setup that's what he had to do. Ok, some players didn't make it and some didn't want to commit and maybe that was due to bad chemistry between those players and Dunne or the rest of the panel, but that happens in all walks of life and people move on. Some players were given second a third chances and for their own personal reasons they didn't take them. Pre the catastrophic injury list (he was forced to deal with) and after the league playoff against Waterford i honestly believed that he had the makings of a good team with most of the vital team positions filled. For the reasons stated above its my opinion that Liam Dunne should be given one more year to prove that he did what he set out to achieve, by hopefully bringing Wexford hurling back into the competitive sphere.

Lads it's not as if he took over a team on the brink of success; it was the complete oposite in fact, so five years under those circumstances is not a long time, be patient.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 11:14:38    1894574

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "So according to posters here our expectations are too high, we are in the 2nd tier of hurling, we started building 5 years ago and again apparently 2 years ago.

So 5 years ago we were in the 2nd tier of hurling and according to posters on here we are still in the 2nd tier of hurling but we are progressing well!

"Whether they like it or not we're in the 2nd tier of hurling counties and have been for a very long time. We are progressing well under the current setup," So we were 2nd tier 5 years ago, are still 2nd tier but progressing well!!!

" I think you're forgetting the baseline from which the team was taken over in five years ago, hardly a solid foundation from which the management could build on. Been a New team over last two years. Really only starting again" So which is it, starting from 5 years ago or starting from 2 years ago?? Either way we are at the same level as we were 5 years ago!!

"It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future." If only we had some quality young hurlers coming through, a couple of successful u21 teams with medals in their pockets who are used to beating the Kilkenny's and Dublins of this world would be nice for a start!

So in reality we were 2nd tier 5 years ago yet the same people who want continuity and say we are progressing well admit we are still 2nd tier today!

The fact is this team is capable of much much more than it has showed on a consistent basis. In 5 years we have only once came close to getting league promotion, that to me is a solid not unrealistic expectation for this group of players to start with, from there you get league hurling at a higher level which brings the team on further.

I like Liam Dunne as a player and a manager, his legacy as manager of the Wexford team will be a positive one in my book. No one knows whether this team will progress or regress if he stays for another year, likewise no one knows if the team would progress or regress under a new manager but how any one can say we are at the same level we were at 5 years ago yet admit progress and want continuity is beyond me? If thats a rallying call in support of the manager then he doesnt need any detractors!

Either way our beloved County Board need to make a decision and make it quickly. If its Liam Dunne for another year then the decision needs to be made quickly, we move on and we all get behind the team going forward, likewise if there is to be a change. In all my years ive yet to meet anyone in Wexford who had or has a personal agenda against Liam Dunne, the problem is that certain people on here think if a person feels we might be better off having a different manager than Dunne its for personal reasons when in fact it isnt, its simply an opinion we might be better off with a new man at the helm. To claim its personal is just trying to distract from the point being made.

Whatever people opinions are dont belittle them by trying to make out they are something more sinister than a genuine interest in whats best for Wexford hurling. And that works for those who believe Dunne should stay or we should have a new man."
Does everything have to be spelled ou? When Dunne took over we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier and after a complete rebuild, with an exceptionally young team, we're solidly there and hopefully about to push on when all the injured players are back, along with some new young talent, next year. To me that's progress.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 11:35:37    1894594

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Does everything have to be spelled ou? When Dunne took over we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier and after a complete rebuild, with an exceptionally young team, we're solidly there and hopefully about to push on when all the injured players are back, along with some new young talent, next year. To me that's progress."
We were a last minute one point win from playing in a relegation play off from 1B in 2016?
Would you call that struggling to stay in the 2nd tier?

Do you actually know where we were hurling in 2011 when Liam Dunne took over? We were in Division 1 of the League where we actually done enough to stay up beating Offaly, Cork and drawings with Tipperary (only for the GAA to relegate us with the re-org) so where is this struggling to stay in the 2nd tier stuff coming from?

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 03/08/2016 11:58:29    1894617

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "So according to posters here our expectations are too high, we are in the 2nd tier of hurling, we started building 5 years ago and again apparently 2 years ago.

Whatever people opinions are dont belittle them by trying to make out they are something more sinister than a genuine interest in whats best for Wexford hurling. And that works for those who believe Dunne should stay or we should have a new man."
"It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future". It's very hard to take you seriously when your so selective that you ignored the the last three word in my assertion to try to skew what I said to suit your argument. By all means debate, but do so on your own ability and stop trying to pick holes in other people's posts just to make you look smart.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 12:01:44    1894626

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "We were a last minute one point win from playing in a relegation play off from 1B in 2016?
Would you call that struggling to stay in the 2nd tier?

Do you actually know where we were hurling in 2011 when Liam Dunne took over? We were in Division 1 of the League where we actually done enough to stay up beating Offaly, Cork and drawings with Tipperary (only for the GAA to relegate us with the re-org) so where is this struggling to stay in the 2nd tier stuff coming from?"
tearintom you just have to ignore him......

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 03/08/2016 12:15:41    1894645

Link

Replying To gminor:  ""It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future". It's very hard to take you seriously when your so selective that you ignored the the last three word in my assertion to try to skew what I said to suit your argument. By all means debate, but do so on your own ability and stop trying to pick holes in other people's posts just to make you look smart."
Your argument is basically that we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier of hurling when Liam Dunne took over and now we are not struggling to stay in the 2nd tier so thats progress, your words:

"Does everything have to be spelled ou? When Dunne took over we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier and after a complete rebuild, with an exceptionally young team, we're solidly there and hopefully about to push on when all the injured players are back, along with some new young talent, next year. To me that's progress"

The facts are though when Liam Dunne took over we were not struggling to stay in tier 2 of hurling, we were in fact hurling in Division 1 of the league actually retaining our status on the pitch with wins over Offaly, Carlow and a draw against Tipp.

Five years later we are in the 2nd tier of hurling and actually struggled to retain that status this year with a win over Kerry and last gasp win over Laois to avoid being dragged into a relegation play off.

The problem is you keep coming up with this stuff which is not actually true, im not picking holes in your post, its simply incorrect.

Ive no problem with your argument that Liam Dunne should remain, i can actually see merits in Liam Dunne remaining, but the fact is you keep basing your arguments on factually incorrect assumptions. Your argument is null and void, we were never in the position you calimed we were in the first place so progress based on a false position to begin with isnt progress.

We werent struggling to remain in tier 2 of hurling when Liam Dunne took over, in fact this year was probably as close as we ahve come to struggling to stay in tier 2 of hurling.

I can actually see Dunne getting another year and can see the merits in it, however for his sake i hope the arguments being made to keep him are more accurate than the argument your trying to make.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 03/08/2016 12:37:21    1894673

Link

Just as a correction to my last post, i meant to spell Cork instead of Carlow:

The facts are though when Liam Dunne took over we were not struggling to stay in tier 2 of hurling, we were in fact hurling in Division 1 of the league actually retaining our status on the pitch with wins over Offaly, Carlow and a draw against Tipp.

Typing not great today!

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 03/08/2016 12:47:06    1894683

Link

Have to agree with tearintom 100%, this gimmor fella's liam dunne propoganda and blantant attempts at twisting false information into reality is extremely tedious at this stage and he's blinkered vision and obvious agenda is boring me to death.

Reaslistically in 5 full summers under he's management and we've yet to reach a leinster final, have yet to even challenge for promtion and have had some of our best & most talented hurlers refuse to committ to our county set up under his management. These are facts. Despite this, I do think we've shown signs of possible progression at stages over the last 3 years but its very much a case of 1 step forward 2 steps back. As I said many posts ago, if liam is to remain he simply has to build bridges and do everything possible to get the likes of Guiney, Byrne and Foley back into our set up.

Going on what i've seen in the varies club games at varies grades over the past couple of months, here are a few players who have impressed me , Brendan Hobbs ( Tara Rocks), Ian Carthy( Taghom), John Doyle ( St Patricks), Brian Quigley ( Rathnure), Mickie Dwyer ( Fethard), Conal Flood ( Cloughbawn), Niall Murphy( Crossabeg) Sean Murphy ( Buffers alley). Also Chris Turner ( Ferns has being posting very impressive tallys at under 21 level for ferns whilst Bob Whitty ( Cloughbawn) was doing like wise. These are players worth watching.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 03/08/2016 13:26:51    1894730

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "
Replying To gminor:  ""It's quality young hurlers we need first and foremost and unless the County Board gets serious about underage hurling and hurling in general, there won't be many of them coming through in the future". It's very hard to take you seriously when your so selective that you ignored the the last three word in my assertion to try to skew what I said to suit your argument. By all means debate, but do so on your own ability and stop trying to pick holes in other people's posts just to make you look smart."
Your argument is basically that we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier of hurling when Liam Dunne took over and now we are not struggling to stay in the 2nd tier so thats progress, your words:

"Does everything have to be spelled ou? When Dunne took over we were struggling to stay in the 2nd tier and after a complete rebuild, with an exceptionally young team, we're solidly there and hopefully about to push on when all the injured players are back, along with some new young talent, next year. To me that's progress"

Five years later we are in the 2nd tier of hurling and actually struggled to retain that status this year with a win over Kerry and last gasp win over Laois to avoid being dragged into a relegation play off.

The problem is you keep coming up with this stuff which is not actually true, im not picking holes in your post, its simply incorrect.

Ive no problem with your argument that Liam Dunne should remain, i can actually see merits in Liam Dunne remaining, but the fact is you keep basing your arguments on factually incorrect assumptions. Your argument is null and void, we were never in the position you calimed we were in the first place so progress based on a false position to begin with isnt progress.

We werent struggling to remain in tier 2 of hurling when Liam Dunne took over, in fact this year was probably as close as we ahve come to struggling to stay in tier 2 of hurling.

I can actually see Dunne getting another year and can see the merits in it, however for his sake i hope the arguments being made to keep him are more accurate than the argument your trying to make."
Maybe I'm not making my point as clear as I should but when I'm talking about tiers I'm referring to the Championship not divisions in the league. The plain facts are we beat the 1st tier championship teams - Tipperary once in 43 years and Kilkenny three times in 35 years and hadn't beaten Cork for 56 or so years before Dunne took over. While we might have caught them an odd time, you can be very sure they never feared us. Now if you're happy enough with that fine, but I'm not. We can nitpick to one another all day but it's my opinion and only 'opinion' as I can't see into the future no more than anyone else, that if we continue the way were going at present, with the consisterly of having the same manager, we will reap the rewards in the not too distant future. While there's great potential in the full panel, it's not the finished product. I would dread to think that we'd change the manager and end up back at square one, which we have done so many times in the past. We must have patients.

When i mentioned future talent coming through it was in the context of how our County Board have messed around with underage hurling coaching and hurling in general over the years. I don't mean to be personal, but I'm sure we haven't always picked the best managers for our minor teams. If we are to have any aspirations of advancement, there's no way our minor team should be put out of the championship by lower level teams.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 14:33:17    1894801

Link

Replying To cragask:  "Have to agree with tearintom 100%, this gimmor fella's liam dunne propoganda and blantant attempts at twisting false information into reality is extremely tedious at this stage and he's blinkered vision and obvious agenda is boring me to death.

Reaslistically in 5 full summers under he's management and we've yet to reach a leinster final, have yet to even challenge for promtion and have had some of our best & most talented hurlers refuse to committ to our county set up under his management. These are facts. Despite this, I do think we've shown signs of possible progression at stages over the last 3 years but its very much a case of 1 step forward 2 steps back. As I said many posts ago, if liam is to remain he simply has to build bridges and do everything possible to get the likes of Guiney, Byrne and Foley back into our set up.

Going on what i've seen in the varies club games at varies grades over the past couple of months, here are a few players who have impressed me , Brendan Hobbs ( Tara Rocks), Ian Carthy( Taghom), John Doyle ( St Patricks), Brian Quigley ( Rathnure), Mickie Dwyer ( Fethard), Conal Flood ( Cloughbawn), Niall Murphy( Crossabeg) Sean Murphy ( Buffers alley). Also Chris Turner ( Ferns has being posting very impressive tallys at under 21 level for ferns whilst Bob Whitty ( Cloughbawn) was doing like wise. These are players worth watching."
Looking in it seems to me that Liam has done a reasonable job but that he may not be the man to take this team to the next level and there is no shame in this. What Liam has done is steady the ship and create a 'professional' set up into which new players have transitioned. I think though that after 5 years a fresh voice - if the right one can be found - should be given an opportunity.
My sense is that the team respect Dunne, see him as deeply committed work with him but I question whether he is getting the maximum from the resources he has to hand. The reality is that in elite sport the difference between success and failure can be measured in 'inches' this means that getting it almost right is probably not going to be good enough. I think Liam is getting 90% out of the team, question is can a new manager unlock the last 10% of their potential?
I'll be honest, that even with the best manager in place, I can't see this team winning all Ireland but I would expect that we'd be able to go toe to toe with the best of them and be at least as good as Waterford. I don't think JJ is the man, the flop this year and 2 years ago against Antrim weight heavily as does the fact that we didn't win the u21 All Ireland under his tenure - harsh I know.

scorthyman (Wexford) - Posts: 57 - 03/08/2016 14:33:56    1894802

Link

Phase 1 takes 5 years......is he serious????
Dunne has had 5 topsy turvey years which have been the definition of inconsistency. After that long there is no visible game plan, no shape to the team and very few players are playing to the max of their potential. Those points are obviously subjective but i think many will agree, but they are all the responsibility of the manager!

I for one think we do have some good young players who need developing and every year we persist with dunne is a year where they lose out.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 03/08/2016 14:43:20    1894811

Link

Also, why keep saying we need consistency so keep the manager when his team are so inconsistent. Surely we cannot become any more inconsistent under new management!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 03/08/2016 14:54:19    1894825

Link

tearintom: I'm not sure what happened with my last effort. Whatever I did our two posts ended up in my reply. Anyway, for what's worth here it is again.

Maybe I'm not making my point as clear as I should but when I'm talking about tiers I'm referring to the Championship not divisions in the league. The plain facts are we beat the 1st tier championship teams - Tipperary once in 43 years and Kilkenny three times in 35 years and hadn't beaten Cork for 56 or so years before Dunne took over. While we might have caught them an odd time, you can be very sure they never feared us. Now if you're happy enough with that fine, but I'm not. We can nitpick to one another all day but it's my opinion and only 'opinion' as I can't see into the future no more than anyone else, that if

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 15:23:44    1894851

Link

Replying To gminor:  "tearintom: I'm not sure what happened with my last effort. Whatever I did our two posts ended up in my reply. Anyway, for what's worth here it is again.

Maybe I'm not making my point as clear as I should but when I'm talking about tiers I'm referring to the Championship not divisions in the league. The plain facts are we beat the 1st tier championship teams - Tipperary once in 43 years and Kilkenny three times in 35 years and hadn't beaten Cork for 56 or so years before Dunne took over. While we might have caught them an odd time, you can be very sure they never feared us. Now if you're happy enough with that fine, but I'm not. We can nitpick to one another all day but it's my opinion and only 'opinion' as I can't see into the future no more than anyone else, that if"
Head wrecking.......here it goes again.

Maybe I'm not making my point as clear as I should but when I'm talking about tiers I'm referring to the Championship not divisions in the league. The plain facts are we beat the 1st tier championship teams - Tipperary once in 43 years and Kilkenny three times in 35 years and hadn't beaten Cork for 56 or so years before Dunne took over. While we might have caught them an odd time, you can be very sure they never feared us. Now if you're happy enough with that fine, but I'm not. We can nitpick to one another all day but it's my opinion and only 'opinion' as I can't see into the future no more than anyone else, that if we continue the way were going at present, with the consisterly of having the same manager, we will reap the rewards in the not too distant future. While there's great potential in the full panel, it's not the finished product. I would dread to think that we'd change the manager and end up back at square one, which we have done so many times in the past. We must have patients.

When i mentioned future talent coming through it was in the context of how our County Board have messed around with underage hurling coaching and hurling in general over the years. I don't mean to be personal, but I'm sure we haven't always picked the best managers for our minor teams. If we are to have any aspirations of advancement, there's no way our minor team should be put out of the championship by lower level teams. Sure, these other counties are improving, but only because their County Boards have created good underage structures with good people in charge.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 03/08/2016 16:28:02    1894913

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Mrfox welcome back with negativity to the hurling forum. Lee Chin had a medial ligament injury for Dublin game. When you are unsure of the facts re snr hurling team perhaps your negative comments would be more useful on the football forum. Where's this so called interview or article?"
Again castletownman not reading the post correctly. Chin done interview and stated WE ( the whole team) were not fit enough going into dublin match. This artical was in local paper after the Offaly championship match.
The reason I bring this to your attention is not to be negative but to just show what you are saying about it all been positive from the camp is a false statement. Please stick to facts instead of throwing out rubbish that everything coming from the camp is positive.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 03/08/2016 20:02:23    1895014

Link

Right i heard from a friend whos very close to player,that tonights the night that liams dunnes rein as manager is over and as far as the players know frank flannery is the man taking over!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 04/08/2016 09:18:28    1895167

Link

Mrfox where's the link to the article you are quoting. If you're quoting facts, let's see the proof?

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 04/08/2016 11:02:22    1895252

Link