Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To perfect10:  "i would bet my life austin gleeson will be centre back on sunday week.largely to stop chin from hurling."
well thats wat i would do , chin is on fire this yr and has matured into the general on the field that all players will follow into hell and back . stop chin and we will struggle to win ball around the middle . should be an interesting first ten mins tactally speaking anyways

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 11/07/2016 11:51:41    1880800

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i would bet my life austin gleeson will be centre back on sunday week.largely to stop chin from hurling."
Daragh fives will pick up chin id say.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 11/07/2016 12:13:40    1880840

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Hurler101 you referred to player's motivation, not needed motivation to play for management is nonsensical. Doylerwex referring to key players jumping ship.. who are you talking about now..... Your key players are the men who lined out against Cork on Saturday and who are in the panel. They rest are just dead wood and lads with egos who don't want to knuckle down. Focus and invest in the lads who want to do this, it's working so far... Sure we're still there."
Read a bit more carefully in future will you. I said playing for management is one of many motivating factors! I didnt say its not a factor. Stop starting all your posts with hurler101 too its annoying because i think you are going to say something worth while.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 11/07/2016 13:24:44    1880914

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Read a bit more carefully in future will you. I said playing for management is one of many motivating factors! I didnt say its not a factor. Stop starting all your posts with hurler101 too its annoying because i think you are going to say something worth while."
Wohoooooooo minor match set for thurles as well....

juan31 (Wexford) - Posts: 142 - 11/07/2016 14:45:33    1880983

Link

Hurler101 will you get a grip... Seriously, I don't think there are rules on how you addressed .. Sir 101!

Its a key motivational factor. Your management team are there with you through the good and bad days. Stop people bashing and contribute something logical and useful ..for once...

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 11/07/2016 17:05:39    1881120

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Hurler101 will you get a grip... Seriously, I don't think there are rules on how you addressed .. Sir 101!

Its a key motivational factor. Your management team are there with you through the good and bad days. Stop people bashing and contribute something logical and useful ..for once..."
Again the reading thing is letting you down. No problem with how im addressed, i did pick that user name. Just the fact that you started 3 post in ten minutes with my username is a bit odd!!

I find everybody is motivated differently and a key factor for one person is not a key factor for another. No doubt some players are extemely loyal and would be motivated to do well for management but not necessarily all of them.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 11/07/2016 17:23:17    1881138

Link

This is precisely why people skills are a key function of management. Different people respond to different approaches and this is exactly why I've criticized the current set up.
One lad may respond to harsh criticism, another may need constant encouragement or to feel as if they have extra responsibility. That;s just life and sport.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 11/07/2016 19:31:41    1881258

Link

This is unreal, we just won a championship match against Cork. We should be celebrating, I know that I was euphoric when the final whistle blew. This has been an awful year so far and we've had so many disappointments. We have another day out in two weeks against Waterford and who knows what will happen in that game. Analyse the year when its over and just enjoy it while we're still in it. Stop bickering amongst yourselves and look forward to seeing the purple and gold for another day.

I hate soccer and find Rugby just about bearable so for me the more times I get to see Wexford play the better. The winter months are awful and I having to wait months to see Wexford in a competitive game again, I genuinely do count down the days. I am so appreciative that these lads have given us (and me personally) another day out.

Fulgrim (Wexford) - Posts: 151 - 11/07/2016 19:33:30    1881261

Link

Replying To Doylerwex:  "This is precisely why people skills are a key function of management. Different people respond to different approaches and this is exactly why I've criticized the current set up.
One lad may respond to harsh criticism, another may need constant encouragement or to feel as if they have extra responsibility. That;s just life and sport."
What are you talking about. How in the name of God can you make any judgement on the Liam Dunne's management skills unless you were or are being currently managed by him. That's what gets under my skin here, people making sweeping derogatory statements about Liam Dunne, or anyone else for that matter, just because they have their own personal reasons for not liking him, from a distance. He doesn't contribute here so unless you've experienced his management/people skills first hand, save your criticism for the way he picks the team, how they're prepared/set up etc. If you don't know him, don't get personal on a public forum, it just ain't fair.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 11/07/2016 20:00:26    1881286

Link

As regards Waterford, whats everyone's thoughts on their result yesterday? Will it be an advantage to us that they got such a heavy beating that their heads will surly be down or will it result in a serious back lash from them. I'd imagine if they are going to change their style slightly it will have to be now as on they wont wait and try change it in an All Ireland semi if they are to get there. It will be interesting to see how they will line up also, Maurice Shannahan, Brick Walsh, Gleeson and Noel Connors were all taken off when it could have been any of the first 15 and to me these are viewed as leaders of the team so were these substitutions from McGrath made as hope for a kick up the hole for these guys the next day. As regards Podge Doran i hope he is fit to play as to me Waterfords weakness is quick direct ball which Podge will be key for as regards winning possession and taking the pressure off Mac and Chin to be primary ball winners.

BostonRedSox (Wexford) - Posts: 77 - 11/07/2016 20:16:23    1881310

Link

Delighted that boys games are fixed for the same day in thurles. Will be a huge day for Wexford gaa. I have no doubt the lads will finally receive the support they deserve and the Wexford fans get out in force. Although we got an awful beating against Limerick in 2014 I will never forget the line of cars decked in purple and gold coming to halt off the motorway 5km outside of thurles! I for one can't wait and who knows by 4 o clock Sunday week we could be in two all Ireland semi finals(we can all dare to dream I suppose) . Any news on injuries lads ? Podge Doran? Liam Ryan will surely be back?what a boost that would be !I expect a few changes such as Aidan Nolan for Conroy, Andrew Kenny for Eanna Martin and hopefully Ryan may be fit enough to start also.

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 11/07/2016 20:32:23    1881340

Link

Beware of Waterford. They will come back fighting. They are a quality team and not finished by a long shot. This happens to every inter county team. They will analyse their prep and system over the coming two weeks. Maybe they psychologically got ahead of themselves and were ready to pick up silverware prematurely. Can they regroup absolutely, so hopefully we can maintain that intensity and hunger as we progress.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 11/07/2016 20:56:16    1881354

Link

Waterford got hammered a couple of years ago by Tipperary conceding 7 goals and came back in the quarter finals and beat Galway so we they'll definitely be a wounded animal... Hope podge will be ok for the game,, i can see eanna martin been dropped the next day and Liam Ryan playing in the half back line and maybe leaving the full back line the way it is.....

juan31 (Wexford) - Posts: 142 - 11/07/2016 21:26:05    1881379

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Delighted that boys games are fixed for the same day in thurles. Will be a huge day for Wexford gaa. I have no doubt the lads will finally receive the support they deserve and the Wexford fans get out in force. Although we got an awful beating against Limerick in 2014 I will never forget the line of cars decked in purple and gold coming to halt off the motorway 5km outside of thurles! I for one can't wait and who knows by 4 o clock Sunday week we could be in two all Ireland semi finals(we can all dare to dream I suppose) . Any news on injuries lads ? Podge Doran? Liam Ryan will surely be back?what a boost that would be !I expect a few changes such as Aidan Nolan for Conroy, Andrew Kenny for Eanna Martin and hopefully Ryan may be fit enough to start also."
Aidan Nolan for Conroy ??? I am not sure how fit Nolan is or of he has a full game in him . Conroy gives great defensive cover to the halfback line that was not there for the Dublin Match and is not a glamour role.

Where would you play Liam Ryan given the full back line has played well the past two games that only leaves centre back replacing Foley.

Linebacker (Wexford) - Posts: 100 - 11/07/2016 21:43:03    1881401

Link

Replying To Linebacker:  "Aidan Nolan for Conroy ??? I am not sure how fit Nolan is or of he has a full game in him . Conroy gives great defensive cover to the halfback line that was not there for the Dublin Match and is not a glamour role.

Where would you play Liam Ryan given the full back line has played well the past two games that only leaves centre back replacing Foley."
conroy should stay where he is , he playing that job prefectly , if ryan comes in he will take martins place i doubt they will be any other changes to be honest .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 11/07/2016 22:07:17    1881419

Link

Well lads whats the thoughts on the intermediate tomorrow night??they were very good against galway,i heard today that the rule has changed as regards kilkenny only been able to pick players from intermediate clubs,they can pick from senior clubs now,so this could be kilkennys 2nd best 15 then??couldnt see us beating them if thats the case??!!! Its a leinster final and we will get to see some of the young lads that have been with the senior team that havnt got game time,it will be a good test for those lads to see where there at!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 12/07/2016 15:24:15    1881910

Link

like the junior football huge value to this competition by giving young lads a taste of inter county action. Winning is a bonus

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1444 - 12/07/2016 17:12:05    1881993

Link

Replying To gminor:  "What are you talking about. How in the name of God can you make any judgement on the Liam Dunne's management skills unless you were or are being currently managed by him. That's what gets under my skin here, people making sweeping derogatory statements about Liam Dunne, or anyone else for that matter, just because they have their own personal reasons for not liking him, from a distance. He doesn't contribute here so unless you've experienced his management/people skills first hand, save your criticism for the way he picks the team, how they're prepared/set up etc. If you don't know him, don't get personal on a public forum, it just ain't fair."
I have trained under him. I never criticised his team selections and I never made it personal. I like him. Im finished with this conversation.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 12/07/2016 21:19:52    1882129

Link

So thinking ahead to the Waterford game, I have a few concerns which I hope we can have fixed up before then.
Our lack of goal threat. We have only scored 2 (including Fanning's) goals in 3 matches. The other being some hapless defending by a useless Offaly defence. We need players playing off the breaks which McDonald and Chin will hopefully create.
Some of our marking from puck outs on Saturday was brutal, affording Nash the ability to pick out his men time and again from the puck out. If we allow Kevin Moran, Brick Walsh and Gleeson that sort of freedom they will be able to pick us off from distance.
Overall, after 2 weeks rest this year, I think we have a great chance here.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 13/07/2016 08:45:04    1882310

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "So thinking ahead to the Waterford game, I have a few concerns which I hope we can have fixed up before then.
Our lack of goal threat. We have only scored 2 (including Fanning's) goals in 3 matches. The other being some hapless defending by a useless Offaly defence. We need players playing off the breaks which McDonald and Chin will hopefully create.
Some of our marking from puck outs on Saturday was brutal, affording Nash the ability to pick out his men time and again from the puck out. If we allow Kevin Moran, Brick Walsh and Gleeson that sort of freedom they will be able to pick us off from distance.
Overall, after 2 weeks rest this year, I think we have a great chance here."
One thing Tipperary done very smartly was target their big players but in a much more subtle way than normal.

They didnt target them to physically take them out of the game, they simply ensured the game passed them by. Take Gleeson for example, they simply bypassed him, went around him, didnt drive aimless balls down on top of him. Remember the Dublin game when we drove ball after ball down on top of Liam Rushe, Tipperary played up the wings, kept it out of the middle as much as possible unless the ball was being dropped long in to their full back line, Waterford are strongest up the middle between both 45's, Tipperary went around and over them.

We can do the same and have the hard running players to do the same in 2 weeks, we have the players to bring it wide, what tipp done effectively was tease that sweeper out wide and sweep and when they seen a one and one opportunity to drop a ball in on top of the full forward they done it.

I think following the Munster final Waterford will go even more defensively so its a game where there isnt going to be huge scores and one where we have to keep our discipline and our patience. It may very well come down to who is the most effective at taking their long range scores so long range shooting drills might be the order of the day for the next 2 weeks.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 13/07/2016 09:08:13    1882315

Link