Limerick Forum

Claughaun Demise

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cityman73:  "Who cares what talent they are at,it's amateur sport,I rather see kids playing our sport,then walking the roads,yes I'm sure there was soccer and rugby players too,are they not allowed play hurling."
I think kids should play every sport (except gaelic football) The point I was trying to make was that kids that are very good at hurling, rugby and soccer usually pick rugby or soccer in the city.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 02/07/2019 15:48:11    2204357

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think kids should play every sport (except gaelic football) The point I was trying to make was that kids that are very good at hurling, rugby and soccer usually pick rugby or soccer in the city."
Might have usually been the way but the 3 big city clubs nap , monaleen and Mungret are doing a lot of things right and are more than holding their own competition wise . Limerick hurlers are a big big draw at this point in time in the city and like other codes youngsters are aspiring to be like their hero's .

On a side note Claughaun footballers are keeping their flag flying even beating the mighty St Pats last week !

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 326 - 02/07/2019 18:17:49    2204453

Link

The Claughaun under 6's looked fairly impressive last week. There looks to be some good coaching and team spirit for the youngest in the community.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6219 - 03/07/2019 08:02:19    2204731

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I think kids should play every sport (except gaelic football) The point I was trying to make was that kids that are very good at hurling, rugby and soccer usually pick rugby or soccer in the city."
What planet are you on, football closely represents hurling in terms of the type of fitness required whereas soccer and rugby are completely different and do nothing to compliment hurling. You'd rather have kids playing rival sports than have them stay involved with their own GAA clubs and play football? From the panel on Sunday Richie English, Mike Casey, William O'Doneghue, Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Peter Casey, Darragh O'Donovan, Pat Ryan and Colin Ryan all play football with their clubs, (WOD and Hegarty have also represented the county) are you saying this has no benefit to their hurling or to GAA in Limerick??

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 03/07/2019 08:54:14    2204745

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "What planet are you on, football closely represents hurling in terms of the type of fitness required whereas soccer and rugby are completely different and do nothing to compliment hurling. You'd rather have kids playing rival sports than have them stay involved with their own GAA clubs and play football? From the panel on Sunday Richie English, Mike Casey, William O'Doneghue, Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Peter Casey, Darragh O'Donovan, Pat Ryan and Colin Ryan all play football with their clubs, (WOD and Hegarty have also represented the county) are you saying this has no benefit to their hurling or to GAA in Limerick??"
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Rugby and Hurling would be my background. I get what your saying about 'type' of fitness being similar in Gaelic and hurling but I'd rather my kid played Rugby and hurling than Gaelic. In fact there was and is no Gaelic football in the hurling club I'm a member of.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 03/07/2019 12:50:04    2204874

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah that's what I'm saying. Rugby and Hurling would be my background. I get what your saying about 'type' of fitness being similar in Gaelic and hurling but I'd rather my kid played Rugby and hurling than Gaelic. In fact there was and is no Gaelic football in the hurling club I'm a member of."
Take no notice of bloodyban. He's constantly trolling Limerick football. He recently compared Limerick football to tag rugby. Any player who pulls on the green jersey of Limerick, irrespective of the code or grade should be respected by supporters of Limerick, instead of being mocked and maligned by trolls like bloodyban.

When you ridicule one, no matter how unsuccessful or seemingly irrelevant in your eyes, you ridicule all who wear our green and white. And that includes the men who lifted Liam.

shoulderghost (Limerick) - Posts: 863 - 03/07/2019 13:40:51    2204906

Link

Bloodyban is right on one thing though . Hurling and rugby are the 2 most entertaining sports to watch and both are the 2 sports that require most practice to be good at whereas any young fellow could fall into a game of soccer or Gaelic .
This is reflected with the general public too with attendances at Limerick hurlers or Munster rugby drawing serious crowds as opposed to limerick soccer or Limerick Gaelic teams .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 326 - 04/07/2019 13:48:41    2205441

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Bloodyban is right on one thing though . Hurling and rugby are the 2 most entertaining sports to watch and both are the 2 sports that require most practice to be good at whereas any young fellow could fall into a game of soccer or Gaelic .
This is reflected with the general public too with attendances at Limerick hurlers or Munster rugby drawing serious crowds as opposed to limerick soccer or Limerick Gaelic teams ."
Entertainment is very subjective and I'd argue that 70% of rugby matches are unwatchably bad. The southern hemisphere teams and some of the six nations matches are very enjoyable but the majority of Celtic League and Heineken Cup games are terribly boring. The IRFU has done an excellent job of promoting what can be a very boring game to watch. With regard to skill level and practice you cannot be serious. Rugby is largely about physicality with only 3-4 players of the 15 starters that need to be skillful. Otherwise its about power and strength, very few smaller lads will ever make it to AIL level never mid the elite regardless of the amount of practice they put in.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 04/07/2019 14:31:40    2205464

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Bloodyban is right on one thing though . Hurling and rugby are the 2 most entertaining sports to watch and both are the 2 sports that require most practice to be good at whereas any young fellow could fall into a game of soccer or Gaelic .
This is reflected with the general public too with attendances at Limerick hurlers or Munster rugby drawing serious crowds as opposed to limerick soccer or Limerick Gaelic teams ."
Ah come on any good athlete could play rugby. Putting rugby and hurling on the same skill level is a joke.Only 3/4 players in rugby have to kick the ball and any strong fit athlete can get around a rugby pitch.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 483 - 05/07/2019 09:57:31    2205764

Link

The best players in city are good at everything,ask old christans, claughaun and St Patrick's,I'm happy to see children playing any sports, claughaun and St Patrick's are doing an amazing job in my opinion,no help from county board or Munster or croke park, just genuine proud people keeping their clubs going.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 05/07/2019 17:38:34    2205982

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah that's what I'm saying. Rugby and Hurling would be my background. I get what your saying about 'type' of fitness being similar in Gaelic and hurling but I'd rather my kid played Rugby and hurling than Gaelic. In fact there was and is no Gaelic football in the hurling club I'm a member of."
That's a pity but each to there own.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 05/07/2019 17:40:17    2205983

Link

Are you too young to remember the 20,000 to 35,000 who watched Limerick footballers nearly get a Munster crown,I'm sure your old enough too remember only a couple of years ago when Munster were doing poor and crowds were way down or even last year,were only max 12,000 fans watch Limerick in all Ireland quarter final,each sport has only a core support, Limerick fans outside of the core support are fickle and only follow when winning.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 05/07/2019 18:36:05    2205992

Link

Rugby and hurling will always be the largest supported in the city but a large part of recent attendances are down to each teams ability to win not the skill or dedication invovled.

I remember Munster (not AIL rugby) fans round the pub I worked in laughing at my foolishness for following the hurlers 10 years ago. "Been to the final in 94 & 96 and I swore ill never go again was the oft used phrase" . Same guys tried hard to erase a love of 80s Limerick and 90s Irish soccer from there histories too

Guess where I keep bumping in to them now

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1131 - 05/07/2019 19:09:45    2206003

Link

Bloodyban, you're not a football man so maybe you should just keep the consistent negativity around limerick football to yourself and worry about that foreign game above in that kip in thomond

bestisbest (Limerick) - Posts: 206 - 06/07/2019 13:33:15    2206237

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Are you too young to remember the 20,000 to 35,000 who watched Limerick footballers nearly get a Munster crown,I'm sure your old enough too remember only a couple of years ago when Munster were doing poor and crowds were way down or even last year,were only max 12,000 fans watch Limerick in all Ireland quarter final,each sport has only a core support, Limerick fans outside of the core support are fickle and only follow when winning."
The core support in Limerick is about 2000, in terms of who goes to all the league matches

EdgeOfTheSquare32 (Limerick) - Posts: 31 - 07/07/2019 17:05:19    2207114

Link

Replying To EdgeOfTheSquare32:  "The core support in Limerick is about 2000, in terms of who goes to all the league matches"
Your 100% right

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 07/07/2019 20:59:15    2207377

Link

Think it's time to delete this thread, claughaun are having their best year so far in the last five years

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 07/07/2019 21:07:31    2207389

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Think it's time to delete this thread, claughaun are having their best year so far in the last five years"
why s the season already over in july? noting won so hw is dis a good year? the hurlin team won 1 game nd got humbled against old christians...!

NoviceMan (Limerick) - Posts: 74 - 10/07/2019 15:27:01    2209094

Link

Replying To NoviceMan:  "why s the season already over in july? noting won so hw is dis a good year? the hurlin team won 1 game nd got humbled against old christians...!"
That's why I said so far,you might want to check results,your a bit out with one win,humbled by old christans, very close game, better team won plus old christans are stronger at junior level then claughaun,anybody with any knowledge of Limerick gaa would know that,I can't understand your issues with claughaun.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 10/07/2019 22:25:02    2209280

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "That's why I said so far,you might want to check results,your a bit out with one win,humbled by old christans, very close game, better team won plus old christans are stronger at junior level then claughaun,anybody with any knowledge of Limerick gaa would know that,I can't understand your issues with claughaun."
Claughaun seem to be doing fine in the championship. This thread was based on one bad result in the city Junior league which is not a competition that is taken too seriously. Most of the teams in it this year were junior B.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 14/07/2019 17:22:22    2210821

Link