Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galway2015:  "Disappointing result for Claregalway given the higher expectations this year. Very young team overall, missing some battle hardened older players when up against physically stronger teams. Still good potential but likely to be 2-3 years before they're ready to challenge top 3-4 teams."
Claregalway are constantly being over-rated. Its always 2-3 years. With the numbers they have at underage they should be a lot better. Even their second team is out of the junior.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 31/08/2020 09:38:17    2289883

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Strange that with the hugely competitive nature of intermediate that 2 x 2019 finalists are back in relegation. Having said that i have a sneaking suspiciion that monivea or caherlistrane could end up intermediate for 2021"
Very fine margins in the case of An Spidéal. They could've won all 3 of their games, but ended up empty handed. MB had a very tough group in fairness. They weren't favoured to win any of those games.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 955 - 31/08/2020 09:52:30    2289886

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Claregalway are constantly being over-rated. Its always 2-3 years. With the numbers they have at underage they should be a lot better. Even their second team is out of the junior."
I'm not from Claregalway, but the current group of lads they have aged 20-21 won the county minor 3 years ago and won the county u20 last year, both against a highly fancied Salthill team, pretty much the only team to beat that Salthill group in years. Danny Cummins will be back next year you'd assume. Don't think its a big leap to think in 2-3 years time they'll have kicked on a lot.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 31/08/2020 10:17:16    2289896

Link

Brian Mannion very good for Tuam Stars
Classy forward who can take a nice score

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1250 - 31/08/2020 12:15:43    2289922

Link

Moycullen only team that have a chance of upsetting corofin. Relegation will be interesting butI see Spiddal going down.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 31/08/2020 12:23:39    2289925

Link

You could say the same thing about Monivea or Carhistrande very unlucky not to make quarters. Oughterard pipping Monivea at the death as did Kilannin to Caheristrande. On the results Spiddal seems to be the strongest team followed by Caherstrande Monivea and then MB. Going to great entertainment.

Stripsandbanners (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 31/08/2020 13:10:44    2289938

Link

For all Corofins greatness it is a pity that it's not more like the hurling where any club has a chance of winning it. Only thing clubs can wish for is to avoid them

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 31/08/2020 16:21:27    2289963

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Claregalway are constantly being over-rated. Its always 2-3 years. With the numbers they have at underage they should be a lot better. Even their second team is out of the junior."
That's fair enough re. they're always showing potential without ever fully delivering. This young crop they have though have kept it together right through to U20 with a similar backroom team that are now with the seniors so they may well produce the goods sooner rather than later. They have tasted a lot of success which is always good to have rather than the baggage of regular defeats. Hurling is often a bigger draw for some of their dual players so their biggest challenge may well be to retain their best players and management that have developed them well all the way up.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 31/08/2020 16:57:51    2289971

Link

Replying To galway6:  "For all Corofins greatness it is a pity that it's not more like the hurling where any club has a chance of winning it. Only thing clubs can wish for is to avoid them"
I would rather Corofin coming out of Galway and winning a 3 in a row of AI'S rather than the hurlers who haven't won the club championship since 2014? Think it was something like that and having a competitive championship in Galway.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 31/08/2020 16:59:10    2289972

Link

For me personally my interest at the start of the year was moycullen v mm and in time v corrofin after that it didn't matter.
My real interest was always going to be on relegation everyone fighting for their lives.
MB I'm fairness had a tough group, rested Denver and their big midfielder for most games I believe so they'll be ready for the ambush, they've always be planning to peak for the relegation playoffs.
Spiddeal on paper I would have expected to avoid this but such is life at the top level, good tests but have picked up key injuries so they are open
Monivea again didn't see them here but will be able to pull in their soccer and hurling players for a big push, expect Mcdaid to make an appearance
C'trane, a lot better than last year, big spine with D'Arcy at 6 big midfield and Oisin at 14

All to play for, interesting night as far as a draw goes

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 31/08/2020 17:03:24    2289973

Link

If moycullen draw Corofin I hope the lads leave everything on the field that's all we can ask of them.

They have a chance however slight they have more than most. We will get scores but I think they'll have our defense in serious bother

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 31/08/2020 18:04:11    2289984

Link

As regards Corofin s dominance it most certainly is not good for club development. Dress it up anyway you wish.

If MB were without Denver and a midfielder whoever's he is for the group matches that would explain there heavy beatings. Particularly Denver as he apparently is there leader by all accounts and having him back for the playoffs that should see them home and hosed.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2020 18:07:35    2289985

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "As regards Corofin s dominance it most certainly is not good for club development. Dress it up anyway you wish.

If MB were without Denver and a midfielder whoever's he is for the group matches that would explain there heavy beatings. Particularly Denver as he apparently is there leader by all accounts and having him back for the playoffs that should see them home and hosed."
he certainly played against Moycullen and did very little. Think MB could be in trouble

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 31/08/2020 19:42:46    2290000

Link

Corofin
Moycullen
Killanin
Tuam (but I would love to see Barna win)

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 31/08/2020 20:45:30    2290009

Link

Moycullen
MM
Bearna
Corofin

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 31/08/2020 21:23:21    2290016

Link

Monivea v Caherstrande for relegation final.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 31/08/2020 21:41:08    2290021

Link

I know its been referenced before but its a breath of fresh air that county players are full time with their clubs. I think this is leading to the county players delivering county standard performances with their clubs. I often got the feeling in other years that sometimes ( not always) county players' primary objective in club games was to get through uninjured.
Now they are playing for their places on the county team as the county selectors have no other forum to measure them on. And fair play to management, by all accounts they have been very visible at Senior and Intermediate games.
I sincerely hope that if and when C19 eases in 2021 that the Games Administation look at a schedule that takes this in to account. It wont be easy. There are a number of options but none that ticks all the boxes.
One caveat thought. If we do go to a model that releases county players for a period and where consistent club form becomes part of the IC selection criteria, is there a worry that players from Junior clubs will be left out in the cold.
Kerry have addressed this issue whereby every footballer in the county has the opportunity to be selected for Senior championship. I dont think we want or need to go down that road but the alternative maybe more transfers from ambitious Junior club players, and we definitely dont want that. Its okay for the likes of Tom Flynn who is an established starter for Galway, but even for Tom its not ideal having a couple of weeks to migrate from playing against club teams second string to county teams 1st XV.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 01/09/2020 15:42:34    2290093

Link

Moycullen, MM, Corofin and Tuam to progress. Salthill and James haven't got a chance

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 01/09/2020 16:48:04    2290099

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I know its been referenced before but its a breath of fresh air that county players are full time with their clubs. I think this is leading to the county players delivering county standard performances with their clubs. I often got the feeling in other years that sometimes ( not always) county players' primary objective in club games was to get through uninjured.
Now they are playing for their places on the county team as the county selectors have no other forum to measure them on. And fair play to management, by all accounts they have been very visible at Senior and Intermediate games.
I sincerely hope that if and when C19 eases in 2021 that the Games Administation look at a schedule that takes this in to account. It wont be easy. There are a number of options but none that ticks all the boxes.
One caveat thought. If we do go to a model that releases county players for a period and where consistent club form becomes part of the IC selection criteria, is there a worry that players from Junior clubs will be left out in the cold.
Kerry have addressed this issue whereby every footballer in the county has the opportunity to be selected for Senior championship. I dont think we want or need to go down that road but the alternative maybe more transfers from ambitious Junior club players, and we definitely dont want that. Its okay for the likes of Tom Flynn who is an established starter for Galway, but even for Tom its not ideal having a couple of weeks to migrate from playing against club teams second string to county teams 1st XV."
It's great to see the club being put first particularly as we see how clubs have helped their communities through this

I get what you mean about county players minding themselves but if it's an important championship game for their club I think that behaviour is in the minority. I think most lads would put their club first in that situation

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 01/09/2020 16:54:49    2290100

Link

It's great to see the county players on a regular basis playing week in week out. It also should and seems to be bringing out the best in them.
I dare say that county players could be the difference of clubs winning or losing. Is there any club team involved in the rest of the championship/ relegation without a county representative?

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 367 - 01/09/2020 17:31:36    2290107

Link