Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

paul Conroy and patrick sweeney are some men. You couldn't find two lads who have singlehandedly done more for their clubs this season. Shame to see their championship ends

The streaming service is excellent. Technical difficulties seemed to have been sorted out. I hope this continues even when things return to normal

Tuam v moycullen - tough one but I think Moycullen serious improvement needed on today. Barna game will have benefitted tuam

Corofin v MM - Corofin- MM were handed the game today although they have quality footballers it has done nothing to prep them for this. Hopefully MM have the heads right and we get a great game of football.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 13/09/2020 19:18:24    2291878

Link

One thing that strikes me , now that we are down to the last 4 in senior and inter. Despite the domination at under age of clubs close to the city, adult football is still dominated by an area with tuam as its epicentre. 7 of the 8 parshes left can be reached with less than a 10 mile drive from tuam. Hopefully this will change. It is my opinion that we need the areas of population coming to the fore in order to attain and sustain inter county success. Look at kerry . Look at kilkenny. 3 of the 4 semi finalists are city clubs. Okay ballyhale will probably win it but the point is that the city clubs are all there or there abouts

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 13/09/2020 20:43:18    2291887

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "One thing that strikes me , now that we are down to the last 4 in senior and inter. Despite the domination at under age of clubs close to the city, adult football is still dominated by an area with tuam as its epicentre. 7 of the 8 parshes left can be reached with less than a 10 mile drive from tuam. Hopefully this will change. It is my opinion that we need the areas of population coming to the fore in order to attain and sustain inter county success. Look at kerry . Look at kilkenny. 3 of the 4 semi finalists are city clubs. Okay ballyhale will probably win it but the point is that the city clubs are all there or there abouts"
5 of the 8 quarter final teams were City/West. Good to have a spread around the county. Underage gives a false idea as its next to impossible for a club like Kilanin or Mountbellew to compete with salthill barna Claregalway etc but at Senior its 15 men spread over a decade or more of minor teams.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 13/09/2020 21:15:55    2291897

Link

Thought that many of the county seniors played well for their clubs this weekend, Conroy, Daly, Sean Kelly and Shane Walsh in difficult conditions shone. Sweeney might also be an option in the next few weeks.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 14/09/2020 02:39:49    2291924

Link

Killannin were pathetic yesterday.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 14/09/2020 09:08:10    2291941

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Killannin were pathetic yesterday."
Agree that Killannin were poor. Sean Kelly was great for Moycullen. Would not agree about Sweeney been County Material. Great player for his club but on the way out.

ref (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 14/09/2020 10:43:52    2291962

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "One thing that strikes me , now that we are down to the last 4 in senior and inter. Despite the domination at under age of clubs close to the city, adult football is still dominated by an area with tuam as its epicentre. 7 of the 8 parshes left can be reached with less than a 10 mile drive from tuam. Hopefully this will change. It is my opinion that we need the areas of population coming to the fore in order to attain and sustain inter county success. Look at kerry . Look at kilkenny. 3 of the 4 semi finalists are city clubs. Okay ballyhale will probably win it but the point is that the city clubs are all there or there abouts"
That must be the most ridiculous post I have ever read!
1) There are no cities in Kerry. West Kerry have produced some unbelievable footballers.
2) City teams and West teams have always contributed handsomely to good Galway teams and produced some fine players but North Galway has produced the best quality players over the years. That is indisputable.
3) Good county players can come form any club - big or small.
4) Salthill & James are the main main city clubs and have all reached the q-finals of senior. Hardly doing that bad! Salthill are there or thereabouts every year.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 14/09/2020 10:49:58    2291965

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "5 of the 8 quarter final teams were City/West. Good to have a spread around the county. Underage gives a false idea as its next to impossible for a club like Kilanin or Mountbellew to compete with salthill barna Claregalway etc but at Senior its 15 men spread over a decade or more of minor teams."
Its vital we have a spread throughout the whole county. The top four teams are definitely dominated by the north galway teams, but next four has a strong representation from the city and west. In regards to intermediate it was alway likely the north board team would dominate after a good few of them were relegated over the past few years.

One jersey ! One County

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 14/09/2020 10:58:44    2291969

Link

Did Ronan Steede and Ian Burke start for Corofin against Salthill?
Can't find the starting lineups anywhere.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 850 - 14/09/2020 11:20:57    2291979

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "That must be the most ridiculous post I have ever read!
1) There are no cities in Kerry. West Kerry have produced some unbelievable footballers.
2) City teams and West teams have always contributed handsomely to good Galway teams and produced some fine players but North Galway has produced the best quality players over the years. That is indisputable.
3) Good county players can come form any club - big or small.
4) Salthill & James are the main main city clubs and have all reached the q-finals of senior. Hardly doing that bad! Salthill are there or thereabouts every year."
Your missing the point completely. Tralee - population 23K+, Killarney population 15K. 4 of the 8 senior clubs in Kerry are from these 2 very large towns. East Kerry is a regional team that has a pick from a region very close to Killarney.
For sure players are from all over Kerry and for sure players from all over Galway represent the county, and rightly so, But quantity breeds quality and all other things being equal the larger population areas should be contributing the larger portion of top players. I'm not saying the city area is not producing quality players... but just not as many as it should. And the fact that the business end of the championship is dominated by smaller population areas substantiates my belief that we are not maximising the potential of the larger population areas.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 14/09/2020 11:27:07    2291982

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Your missing the point completely. Tralee - population 23K+, Killarney population 15K. 4 of the 8 senior clubs in Kerry are from these 2 very large towns. East Kerry is a regional team that has a pick from a region very close to Killarney.
For sure players are from all over Kerry and for sure players from all over Galway represent the county, and rightly so, But quantity breeds quality and all other things being equal the larger population areas should be contributing the larger portion of top players. I'm not saying the city area is not producing quality players... but just not as many as it should. And the fact that the business end of the championship is dominated by smaller population areas substantiates my belief that we are not maximising the potential of the larger population areas."
Corrofin has a massive spread they pull from thousands, compare that to kilanin carraroe annaghdown milltown spiddeal and a few other clubs, the are all mixing it with the larger catchments with some very good individuals

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 14/09/2020 11:46:14    2291987

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Your missing the point completely. Tralee - population 23K+, Killarney population 15K. 4 of the 8 senior clubs in Kerry are from these 2 very large towns. East Kerry is a regional team that has a pick from a region very close to Killarney.
For sure players are from all over Kerry and for sure players from all over Galway represent the county, and rightly so, But quantity breeds quality and all other things being equal the larger population areas should be contributing the larger portion of top players. I'm not saying the city area is not producing quality players... but just not as many as it should. And the fact that the business end of the championship is dominated by smaller population areas substantiates my belief that we are not maximising the potential of the larger population areas."
Managing how a GAA club is run in areas of large population is a very difficult thing to do. Take Claregalway as an example. They are currently fielding 5 teams in some underage categories. That is give or take around 70 children. In early years its easy enough to maintain those numbers but once children get older and if clubs mismanage their underage teams a massive drop occurs. Foresight would be clubs picking balanced teams at underage level as opposed to the A team being the best players down to the E team who are the players who need the most improvement. I don't know if the claregalways and oranmores are doing this but personally i think it would be a good start in trying to encourage more players to stick at the GAA when they get older.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 14/09/2020 11:57:02    2291990

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Corrofin has a massive spread they pull from thousands, compare that to kilanin carraroe annaghdown milltown spiddeal and a few other clubs, the are all mixing it with the larger catchments with some very good individuals"
Yes . I agree re Corofin. They are a rural club . But the combination of being close to the city and having a very large area leads to a large population. But even so they are outperforming against any barometer both in terms of club performance and contribution to county teams,

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 14/09/2020 12:01:41    2291992

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Did Ronan Steede and Ian Burke start for Corofin against Salthill?
Can't find the starting lineups anywhere."
Ian Burke did but his best form is a long way behind him.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 496 - 14/09/2020 14:02:32    2292034

Link

But sure if there were only 8 senior clubs in Galway most of the teams would be from in an around Galway City. - Salthill, Moycullen, Killannin, Bearna, St James, Corofin are all close to Galway city. Tuam is a big town.
Claregalway and Oranmore are the only 2 which are probably underachieving based on population and proximity to Galway City.
So yes, I kind of am missing your point.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 14/09/2020 14:42:39    2292048

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "But sure if there were only 8 senior clubs in Galway most of the teams would be from in an around Galway City. - Salthill, Moycullen, Killannin, Bearna, St James, Corofin are all close to Galway city. Tuam is a big town.
Claregalway and Oranmore are the only 2 which are probably underachieving based on population and proximity to Galway City.
So yes, I kind of am missing your point."
Watch the next few years as population, sheer player numbers at every age group and really decent coaching come into play - Oranmore-Maree and Claregalway won't be underachieving anymore, they're looking primed to become serious forces for years to come. It'll take a while but it'll happen. Similarly, big numbers in S-K, Barna and a couple of others will start to open up gaps vs some of the smaller rural clubs, who will inevitably have to amalgamate due to population decline. Look at Northern Gaels or Kilkerrin-Clonberne-Killererin. There'll have to be more of that or great kids just won't have access to club football.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 370 - 14/09/2020 15:47:13    2292068

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "But sure if there were only 8 senior clubs in Galway most of the teams would be from in an around Galway City. - Salthill, Moycullen, Killannin, Bearna, St James, Corofin are all close to Galway city. Tuam is a big town.
So yes, I kind of am missing your point."
KillYes there is no doubt whatsoever that a few clubs from the city and large suburbs will dominate football at senior level. The days of a Caltra being crowned kings is gone for at least 30 years but may return in a generation or 2 . St James have over 300 members registered as players. Milltown and Killererin both have about 70 registered paid up members each made up of players AND supporters. Even Corofin could be struggling inside 10 years, the underage success their current team was built on is slowly slipping away. St James, Claregalway, Barna, Moycullen, Salthill, Oranmore and maybe Tuam are the teams of the next 10 years. Same story nationwide.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1044 - 14/09/2020 15:55:33    2292071

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Watch the next few years as population, sheer player numbers at every age group and really decent coaching come into play - Oranmore-Maree and Claregalway won't be underachieving anymore, they're looking primed to become serious forces for years to come. It'll take a while but it'll happen. Similarly, big numbers in S-K, Barna and a couple of others will start to open up gaps vs some of the smaller rural clubs, who will inevitably have to amalgamate due to population decline. Look at Northern Gaels or Kilkerrin-Clonberne-Killererin. There'll have to be more of that or great kids just won't have access to club football."
The oranmore that have lost 4 1/4 finals in a row since coming out of junior, or the claregalway who have been talking about making this impact since 2018? Population doesn't make quality, training and coaching does. These bigger areas get mixed with other sports too like soccer so pros and cons for everything.
Long may the Cinderella story of David clubs continues Against Goliath, Killannin v claregalway, c'listrane v Tuam, spiddeal v salthill.

That's what is the attraction to sport, anything can happen on any day

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 14/09/2020 17:35:35    2292092

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "KillYes there is no doubt whatsoever that a few clubs from the city and large suburbs will dominate football at senior level. The days of a Caltra being crowned kings is gone for at least 30 years but may return in a generation or 2 . St James have over 300 members registered as players. Milltown and Killererin both have about 70 registered paid up members each made up of players AND supporters. Even Corofin could be struggling inside 10 years, the underage success their current team was built on is slowly slipping away. St James, Claregalway, Barna, Moycullen, Salthill, Oranmore and maybe Tuam are the teams of the next 10 years. Same story nationwide."
I'm very worried about the decline of Corofin. It's awful to see them struggle as much as they do

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 14/09/2020 19:42:55    2292109

Link

In fairness Corofin have struggled at u 12 14 16 and minor this year..Claregalway beat Tuam in 16 and look primed for minor, Oranmore beat Tuam in 14. So although Corofin could win another 5 in a row at senior level, they will be looking at results this year for their underage teams maybe be slightly concerned.

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 310 - 14/09/2020 20:23:15    2292113

Link