Fermanagh Forum

Dr McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Hill_hound:  "We had a lot of inexperience on the panel that year. With the likes of Che Cullen committing this year there is reason to be optimistic in the defenders we have and not pull anyone else back. Its about time we threw off the shackles and stopped playing defensive football that has been absolutely no use to us for the past few years. I can think of 10 or 11 of our players that are near enough division 1 standard so we should not be afraid to open it up. If we can mold seamie into a midfielder or wing half forward (where we are currently weak) we will be a match for most teams."
Do you watch football by any chance? I honestly have no idea if you are trolling or not. Fermanagh are not lacking for half forwards or half backs.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 10/01/2018 16:35:50    2067667

Link

Replying To Hill_hound:  "We had a lot of inexperience on the panel that year. With the likes of Che Cullen committing this year there is reason to be optimistic in the defenders we have and not pull anyone else back. Its about time we threw off the shackles and stopped playing defensive football that has been absolutely no use to us for the past few years. I can think of 10 or 11 of our players that are near enough division 1 standard so we should not be afraid to open it up. If we can mold seamie into a midfielder or wing half forward (where we are currently weak) we will be a match for most teams."
Sure you might as well try Seamie Quigley at corner back while your at it.

petes_secretary (Fermanagh) - Posts: 2 - 10/01/2018 17:06:25    2067671

Link

Player ratings v Donegal last night:

Pat Cadden 7 looked very comfortable coming out under a couple of high balls, was very unlucky not to save the goal, scrambled across the line and got a hand to the ball. kicked ball down the throat where donegal were eating us up for a 15-20 min spell but I presume those were the instructions from the line. He was vocal as well.

Eamon McHugh 8 picked up where he left off vrs queens, came out and won every ball or got a hand ahead of his man, came off injured, hoping not too serious as could be very important for us this year.
Che Cullen 9 Excellent. Took no shit, was aggressive and commanding, great leadership and worked well with lee in front of him who could sit in if he needed to carry possession out the field a bit. Glad he's hanging about.
Kane Connor 8 Good performance from Kane I thought. Worked hard and used possession well. He's another that wont take any crap regardless of opposition.

Paul McCusker 6 Unfortunately another frustrating game from Paul. He's very important to us but at present he just needs to flush out cheap mistakes and handling errors. Unlucky with a ball off the left foot into seamie that could have set up a score, right idea - wrong execution. I've no doubt his game will pick up, V good player.
Lee Cullen 7 A decent game from lee. Was looking forward to his battle with McNiallais until Paudie Hughes inexplicably black carded the Donegal man! Would have liked to seen one or 2 more surges forward from him with the bodies we had back, but him and Che have started the year very well.
Declan McCusker 6 Almost an identical performance to Paul's, had a sprinkling of errors but again like his brother - 2 of the hardest working players anywhere in the country and their quality will show up more throughout the league I've no doubt.

Eoin Donnelly 7 Can be so effective at times but is lacking consistency in performances. fielded well at times and got cleaned out for spells as well. Missed a sitter after great team play when a point would have done! Missing those chances at this level is a sin. Did drive us forward well at times.
Ryan Jones 6 Awful decision to kick 3 identical wides from distance when there was ample opportunities to keep possession and work the scores on each occasion. Overcarried (again when there was no real pressure to) and conceded a free. Again I think he looks like he could do with a weeks rest or so, for mental fatigue as much as physical. need him back to his best very quickly.

Barry Mulrone 8 Very good showing last night, full of running and kicked a very good score. Looks like a man who will be peaking nicely for the start of the league.
Danny Teague 6 Could have scored him higher but was taken off at half time. Kicked a fine point from play. Named at 11 but played wing forward and seemed to get through alot of running dropping to sweep on the D when we lost posession.
Aidan Breen 8 Again a good showing from Breen bar a bad miss in front of the posts. Tireless work ethic and can mix it physically with the likes of Donegal as good as anyone. Puts an awful lot of work into every performance , just hope its sustainable throughout what will hopefully be a long season for us!

Ryan Lyons 8 That's alot more like it! struggled with form the last 2 games but was V good last night, even putting Donegal men on their backsides! Played around the half forward line and worked hard. Kicked a poor free but other than that everything else was positive.
Conal Jones 6 was alot quieter than his last 2 games. looked promising very early on the game when he outmuscled a couple of Donegal defenders to win possession but faded afterwards. Needless black card in the second half which opened up a scoring chance for Donegal.
Seamie Quigley 9 Tracking back, sweet strikes for all of his points and a typical Quigley flick to the back of the net. He's in good shape and we'll be praying he stays that way and stick around for the year!

Noteable subs:

Ruairi Corrigan got the full second half and done ok. Would still like to see a bit more from him, particularly under the breaking ball where he can really be effective, but i'm delighted he's working his way back to full fitness after shoulder trouble and being out a good while.

Hopefully Rory goes as strong a line up for the Tyrone game. We know they'll be fielding a strong team so it would be great to get a real tough test before the league starts. Making the final would be nice too, as you wouldnt fear much from the other semi bar maybe UUJ who have a good bit of quality turning out for them. Looking forward to Sunday.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 11/01/2018 09:59:11    2067758

Link

MCKENNA CUP - GROUP C - ROUND THREE Donegal 1-10 Fermanagh 1-13. Fielding Fermanagh team - P Cadden; E McHugh, C Cullen, K Connor; P McCusker, L Cullen, D McCusker (0-2); E Donnelly (0-1), R Jones; B Mulrone (0-1), D Teague (0-1), A Breen (0-1); R Lyons, C Jones, Seamus Quigley (1-7). Subs: R Corrigan for D Teague, C McManus for E McHugh, C McGee for R Lyons, Sean Quigley for Seamus Quigley, J McCann for C Jones (BC), E Courtney for A Breen.
Sunday Jan 14th @ 2pm. McKenna Cup Semi Final - Fermanagh v Tyrone. Venue to be confirmed tomorrow.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1292 - 11/01/2018 10:48:39    2067771

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "Player ratings v Donegal last night:

Pat Cadden 7 looked very comfortable coming out under a couple of high balls, was very unlucky not to save the goal, scrambled across the line and got a hand to the ball. kicked ball down the throat where donegal were eating us up for a 15-20 min spell but I presume those were the instructions from the line. He was vocal as well.

Eamon McHugh 8 picked up where he left off vrs queens, came out and won every ball or got a hand ahead of his man, came off injured, hoping not too serious as could be very important for us this year.
Che Cullen 9 Excellent. Took no shit, was aggressive and commanding, great leadership and worked well with lee in front of him who could sit in if he needed to carry possession out the field a bit. Glad he's hanging about.
Kane Connor 8 Good performance from Kane I thought. Worked hard and used possession well. He's another that wont take any crap regardless of opposition.

Paul McCusker 6 Unfortunately another frustrating game from Paul. He's very important to us but at present he just needs to flush out cheap mistakes and handling errors. Unlucky with a ball off the left foot into seamie that could have set up a score, right idea - wrong execution. I've no doubt his game will pick up, V good player.
Lee Cullen 7 A decent game from lee. Was looking forward to his battle with McNiallais until Paudie Hughes inexplicably black carded the Donegal man! Would have liked to seen one or 2 more surges forward from him with the bodies we had back, but him and Che have started the year very well.
Declan McCusker 6 Almost an identical performance to Paul's, had a sprinkling of errors but again like his brother - 2 of the hardest working players anywhere in the country and their quality will show up more throughout the league I've no doubt.

Eoin Donnelly 7 Can be so effective at times but is lacking consistency in performances. fielded well at times and got cleaned out for spells as well. Missed a sitter after great team play when a point would have done! Missing those chances at this level is a sin. Did drive us forward well at times.
Ryan Jones 6 Awful decision to kick 3 identical wides from distance when there was ample opportunities to keep possession and work the scores on each occasion. Overcarried (again when there was no real pressure to) and conceded a free. Again I think he looks like he could do with a weeks rest or so, for mental fatigue as much as physical. need him back to his best very quickly.

Barry Mulrone 8 Very good showing last night, full of running and kicked a very good score. Looks like a man who will be peaking nicely for the start of the league.
Danny Teague 6 Could have scored him higher but was taken off at half time. Kicked a fine point from play. Named at 11 but played wing forward and seemed to get through alot of running dropping to sweep on the D when we lost posession.
Aidan Breen 8 Again a good showing from Breen bar a bad miss in front of the posts. Tireless work ethic and can mix it physically with the likes of Donegal as good as anyone. Puts an awful lot of work into every performance , just hope its sustainable throughout what will hopefully be a long season for us!

Ryan Lyons 8 That's alot more like it! struggled with form the last 2 games but was V good last night, even putting Donegal men on their backsides! Played around the half forward line and worked hard. Kicked a poor free but other than that everything else was positive.
Conal Jones 6 was alot quieter than his last 2 games. looked promising very early on the game when he outmuscled a couple of Donegal defenders to win possession but faded afterwards. Needless black card in the second half which opened up a scoring chance for Donegal.
Seamie Quigley 9 Tracking back, sweet strikes for all of his points and a typical Quigley flick to the back of the net. He's in good shape and we'll be praying he stays that way and stick around for the year!

Noteable subs:

Ruairi Corrigan got the full second half and done ok. Would still like to see a bit more from him, particularly under the breaking ball where he can really be effective, but i'm delighted he's working his way back to full fitness after shoulder trouble and being out a good while.

Hopefully Rory goes as strong a line up for the Tyrone game. We know they'll be fielding a strong team so it would be great to get a real tough test before the league starts. Making the final would be nice too, as you wouldnt fear much from the other semi bar maybe UUJ who have a good bit of quality turning out for them. Looking forward to Sunday."
*** BAND OF BROTHERS ****
Great result to go to Donegal and win. Its good to see Fermanagh winning the early pre-league matches and hopefully will bode well for the league. Another good test at the weekend and I'm sure Rory is delighted with another game. Any reports I've heard from the players has all been positive and they all seem impressed with Rory. So all round its a good job.
I was just thinking it interesting to see the number of brothers playing in the team. If we were at full strength we could possibly have 2 Quigleys, 2 Cullens, 2 McCuskers, 2 Jones and 2 Corrigians in the team.

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 104 - 11/01/2018 11:01:14    2067776

Link

Know its early stages but they look fitter than last year, looked like they were unfit to play full 70 mins last year. Which cost them to drop points from winning positions in some of the league games, the last league game vs Derry for example.
Would like to see another big midfeilder come through the ranks, as i dont feel there is adequate to cover for Eoin Donnelly or Ryan Jones if they got injuried or black carded, i know we have tryied Ryan Lyons, Conal Jones, Lee Cullen and Barry Mulrone in midfeild before. Lee Cullen probs looks the best option in midfeild if anything were to happen to the above pairing.
This would be my starting 15 if everyone was fit. What would yours be and why.

Goals. Thomas Treacy

Full back line. Eammon McHuge, Che Cullen, Cian Mcmanus

Half back line. Paul McCusker, Lee Cullen, Declan McCusker

Midfeild. Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones

Half forward line. Eddie Courtney, Thomas Corrigan, Aiden Breen

Full forward line. Connal Jones, Seamus Quigley, Sean Quigley.

that should leave a decent bench to come go to if needed.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 11/01/2018 13:48:05    2067799

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "Know its early stages but they look fitter than last year, looked like they were unfit to play full 70 mins last year. Which cost them to drop points from winning positions in some of the league games, the last league game vs Derry for example.
Would like to see another big midfeilder come through the ranks, as i dont feel there is adequate to cover for Eoin Donnelly or Ryan Jones if they got injuried or black carded, i know we have tryied Ryan Lyons, Conal Jones, Lee Cullen and Barry Mulrone in midfeild before. Lee Cullen probs looks the best option in midfeild if anything were to happen to the above pairing.
This would be my starting 15 if everyone was fit. What would yours be and why.

Goals. Thomas Treacy

Full back line. Eammon McHuge, Che Cullen, Cian Mcmanus

Half back line. Paul McCusker, Lee Cullen, Declan McCusker

Midfeild. Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones

Half forward line. Eddie Courtney, Thomas Corrigan, Aiden Breen

Full forward line. Connal Jones, Seamus Quigley, Sean Quigley.

that should leave a decent bench to come go to if needed."
You would leave mulrone out??

Based on who is on the squad this year and providing as you say, all were fully fit:

1) Pat Cadden

2) Eamon McHugh
3) Che Cullen
4) Kane Connor

5) Barry Mulrone
6) James McMahon
7) Declan McCusker

8) Lee Cullen
9) Eoin Donnelly

10) Paul McCusker (drop to sweep in around D out of possession)
11) Eamon Maguire
12) Aiden Breen

13) Thomas Corrigan (drop out in front of the half line)
14) Sean Quigley
15) Seamie Quigley

Agree about midfield but it would have been good to see big Tom Clarke play some McKenna cup at midfield. I think hes been struggling with injury recently so maybe thats why we havent? Also a pity big Ryan Hyde isnt available to the panel this year. Im not overly comfortable dropping Ryan jones from midfield in this team but youd have to say of late the likes of Lee Cullen would bring more to the table in there. Hopefully Jones will push on over the course of the league too.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 11/01/2018 15:14:45    2067815

Link

Decent result last night against a young Donegal, at one stage in first half looked like game drifting away so good to show fight and fitness to finish strong no matter what time of year. Fitness levels look good,bit more variety in play too with long balls being used more(goal came from)with Seamie Quigley and Conal Jones able to win it.
Though at times Donegal broke through tackles bit too easily at time,especially in first half plus half forwards wernt helping enough with breaking ball,though Ruairi Corrigan improved this late on.

Have to agree with Erne Devil and Redrum,midfield is an area that we look very short in, evident by fact had to bring Eoin Donnelly on after only 25 minutes versus Queens. Both Eoin Donnelly and Ryan Jones are likely to pick up suspensions/black cards so need solid options there. I know Thomas Clarke injured at moment though he was there last year and didn't push on so not sure if he going to be option there for season ahead. At moment would say Conal Jones would be next best alternative but then losing forward option.

What about Richard O Callaghan,is he back or still travelling?

Good test ahead with Tyrone on Sunday,third year in a row meeting them at this point,be nice to have different outcome but its all about bigger picture of league and championship. Lets hope injury to Eamon McHugh isn't too bad as has looked one of better options at corner back so far.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 896 - 11/01/2018 16:20:35    2067830

Link

The team i would pick at the moment based on the squad we have if all where fully fit:

1) Thomas Treacy

2) Eamon McHugh
3) Che Cullen
4) Tiarnan Daly

5) Paul McCusker
6) Lee Cullen
7) Declan McCusker

8) Ryan Jones
9) Eoin Donnelly

10) Barry Mulrone
11)Ryan Lyons
12) Aiden Breen

13) Thomas Corrigan
14) Sean Quigley
15) Conall Jones

Erne12 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 62 - 11/01/2018 16:36:30    2067835

Link

Decent result last night against a young Donegal team,always good to see team fightback and finish game strongly regardless time of year. Looked at one stage in first half that game was drifting away,so that's positive,also bit more variation to play with use of long balls also(goal came from this)with Seamie Quigley and Conal Jones good inside targets.

Thought at times that Donegal broke through tackles too easily,especially in first half,while half forwards didn't support in winning breaking ball enough, though Ruairi Corrigan helped improve this when brough on.

Would agree with Redrum and Ernedevil in that midfield options look short,evident when Donnelly was brought on in first half v Queens last Sunday. Always chance that Donnelly or Jones could get injured or pick up a card,so need to have good options there. I know Thomas Clarke injured but he was there last year and didn't push on so not sure he be option as year goes on. At moment Conal Jones probably next best alternative but losing forward in doing this.

Anyone know where Richard O Callaghan is at moment?

Tyrone on Sunday,for third year in row at this stage will be good test,be nice to have different outcome but its all about the bigger picture of league and championship. Lets hope Eamon McHughs injury isn't too bad as has looked best corner back option so far.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 896 - 11/01/2018 16:54:50    2067838

Link

Guys it's early days but the stamp of the new management is already clear to see on the team and I for one am loving it so far .. early days and a lot more to learn but we seem purposeful sharp together hungry measured all that you want
We swarm in the tackle and still have to be more patient and wait for the overcarry or realease instead of fouling. We need to learn the Gallagher system better and I Like how we play .. not the dredded all out defence.
Result is irrelevant on Sunday as long as get more of the same and continue to build .. some lads still taking too much outta the ball ... taking it in to contact too much .. and rushing the swarm tackle
Hell though we are looking purposeful again and I'm looking forward to the season ahead

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 11/01/2018 19:38:06    2067866

Link

Good to see the Fermanagh players were proved right in deciding that they needed a new manager with fresh ideas and a good grasp of the modern game at the helm that could take them forward in 2018 and so far so good. However, Sunday's semi final against Tyrone will be a big ask at Brewster Park so Gallagher will have to have a full strength line-up which I expect to see Tomas Corrigan back. Mid field will be the key area for domination and strong input from our backs will keep the redhands at bay. The national league will be the true litmus test for Gallagher's men and that is how we can measure the team for this year's Ulster championship.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 120 - 12/01/2018 10:45:05    2067931

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Good to see the Fermanagh players were proved right in deciding that they needed a new manager with fresh ideas and a good grasp of the modern game at the helm that could take them forward in 2018 and so far so good. However, Sunday's semi final against Tyrone will be a big ask at Brewster Park so Gallagher will have to have a full strength line-up which I expect to see Tomas Corrigan back. Mid field will be the key area for domination and strong input from our backs will keep the redhands at bay. The national league will be the true litmus test for Gallagher's men and that is how we can measure the team for this year's Ulster championship."
I wouldn't care about Sunday's result lad.. I also wouldn't throw Tomas back in after he's played no part so far... If it ain't broke don't fix it ... we have plenty of cover in forwards with Eddie and Danny

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 12/01/2018 11:03:07    2067936

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "You would leave mulrone out??

Based on who is on the squad this year and providing as you say, all were fully fit:

1) Pat Cadden

2) Eamon McHugh
3) Che Cullen
4) Kane Connor

5) Barry Mulrone
6) James McMahon
7) Declan McCusker

8) Lee Cullen
9) Eoin Donnelly

10) Paul McCusker (drop to sweep in around D out of possession)
11) Eamon Maguire
12) Aiden Breen

13) Thomas Corrigan (drop out in front of the half line)
14) Sean Quigley
15) Seamie Quigley

Agree about midfield but it would have been good to see big Tom Clarke play some McKenna cup at midfield. I think hes been struggling with injury recently so maybe thats why we havent? Also a pity big Ryan Hyde isnt available to the panel this year. Im not overly comfortable dropping Ryan jones from midfield in this team but youd have to say of late the likes of Lee Cullen would bring more to the table in there. Hopefully Jones will push on over the course of the league too."
Yes I would leave Mulrone out at the minute from the starting 15 but he would but he would be coming on in every game as a sub either in the half back line or half forward line, depending on who is struggleing in the game. Against the bigger teams like Tyrone on sunday where we are going depending on more breaking ball in midfeild I would have him in the starting 15 instead of Eddie Courtney. Any other year he would be a starter no problem but we have a strong squad this year.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 12/01/2018 13:04:43    2067954

Link

Replying To Erne12:  "The team i would pick at the moment based on the squad we have if all where fully fit:

1) Thomas Treacy

2) Eamon McHugh
3) Che Cullen
4) Tiarnan Daly

5) Paul McCusker
6) Lee Cullen
7) Declan McCusker

8) Ryan Jones
9) Eoin Donnelly

10) Barry Mulrone
11)Ryan Lyons
12) Aiden Breen

13) Thomas Corrigan
14) Sean Quigley
15) Conall Jones"
Don't think Tiarnan Daly is in the squad this year. If anyone knows for sure let us know, would also be interested to know where Richard O Callaghan is, and if Emmon Maguire has left the squad or did not make the cut.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 12/01/2018 13:09:14    2067955

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Good to see the Fermanagh players were proved right in deciding that they needed a new manager with fresh ideas and a good grasp of the modern game at the helm that could take them forward in 2018 and so far so good. However, Sunday's semi final against Tyrone will be a big ask at Brewster Park so Gallagher will have to have a full strength line-up which I expect to see Tomas Corrigan back. Mid field will be the key area for domination and strong input from our backs will keep the redhands at bay. The national league will be the true litmus test for Gallagher's men and that is how we can measure the team for this year's Ulster championship."
Don't agree with this remark  "Good to see the Fermanagh players were proved right in deciding that they needed a new manager", The rest of your statement is fine. The players should not have had as big as say who is in charge, they could have at least dealt with it better than the way did. It was a bit disrespectful to Pete and I wish him good luck with Louth.
This is not the 1st time the players have gone about in the wrong way in dealing with a manager they dont like ( John O'Neill). It should not happen.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 12/01/2018 13:25:19    2067958

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "Don't think Tiarnan Daly is in the squad this year. If anyone knows for sure let us know, would also be interested to know where Richard O Callaghan is, and if Emmon Maguire has left the squad or did not make the cut."
No Idea where your thinking comes from re Eddie Courtney. A committed player no doubt but hasnt shown near enough as yet in a fermanagh jersey to be close to a starting spot.

Mulrone is probably in our top 4 - 5 most important payers. And yes Tiernan Daly is in the squad as is Eamon Maguire.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 12/01/2018 14:05:26    2067965

Link

Ernedevil, I think Tiernan Daly is part of current panel but coming back from injury with club.

Number of other players in panel but yet to feature in McKenna Cup are
- Tomas Corrigan
- Eamon Maguire
- Brian Cox
- Thomas Clarke
- James McMahon(with Queens)

Not sure if Conor Murphy(Queens) and Ciaran Corrigan(St Marys) are going to be involved

Had been talk of Ciaran Flaherty coming back at end of last year but havnt seen him at any of the games.

May be others if anyone know of please highlight

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 896 - 12/01/2018 14:21:27    2067967

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "No Idea where your thinking comes from re Eddie Courtney. A committed player no doubt but hasnt shown near enough as yet in a fermanagh jersey to be close to a starting spot.

Mulrone is probably in our top 4 - 5 most important payers. And yes Tiernan Daly is in the squad as is Eamon Maguire."
He is the most questionable in the team that I picked, but for me he holds more of an attacking mentality than Mulrone. I also selected Mulrone instead of Eddie Courtney for the bigger games like on Sunday which shows how important he is to the team.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 12/01/2018 15:43:18    2067984

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "Don't agree with this remark  "Good to see the Fermanagh players were proved right in deciding that they needed a new manager", The rest of your statement is fine. The players should not have had as big as say who is in charge, they could have at least dealt with it better than the way did. It was a bit disrespectful to Pete and I wish him good luck with Louth.
This is not the 1st time the players have gone about in the wrong way in dealing with a manager they dont like ( John O'Neill). It should not happen."
ErneDevil you response doesn't represent either the vast majority of the squad or the vast majority of supporters' opinion. I agree with BigToeJoe that the manager change was due and not before time. Look at the early positives of Gallagher's influence with the return of one of Fermanagh's renowned players Seamie Quigley and that wouldn't have happened under Gallagher's predecessor. As for the return of Tomas Corrigan, yes I would use him as Fermanagh needs as much skill and experience on Sunday so that Tyrone don't get it easy.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 959 - 12/01/2018 21:24:32    2068047

Link