Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A very decent outing for the lads yesterday. The result was the most important thing and we avoided injuries/suspensions too in so far as I am aware. There was a bit of keeping the powder dry but as always there was a bit of needle and a few markers being laid down. The Murphy-McKenna collision set off a few car alarms in the town I think!

Hopefully McBrearty and Langan will be ready for action in 2 weeks. We'll need the full deck against what will surely be an improved Tyrone? It's hard to fathom why Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley weren't involved at all yesterday. I wonder are they even in the panel?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 19/10/2020 10:36:04    2299063

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "That performance yesterday was of the highest possible calibre. 2 suspect enough goals have given the scoreline a gloss. The first Tyrone goal is remarkably soft and the 2nd goal is very late in the day and comes from a poor Donegal turnover and overall having lead from the off, at half time and 4pts at full time i think we were more comfortable than a 4pt victory would suggest. A margin for me of nearer 6/7pts would have been a truer reflection on the balance of play.

Having said all that, wouldnt it be the most Donegal thing of all time to be writing here in 2 weeks time that we are out of the championship?

There is one team yesterday that will come away with the greater learning, and one that will come away with greater confidence, the reset button will be hit and we need to put in an even bigger performance the next day out because this is a solid solid tyrone team who are capable of a smash and grab even if its clear we are the better all round team.

Without getting carried away, with abit of luck on the injury and weather front we will give anyone who stands in our way a rattle over the coming months- that is if the government permit a championship at all."
We certainly have the players especially forwards to give anyone a rattle but my worry as always with Donegal will we have that mental toughness and physicality to win a dogfight like in Castlebar last year if it comes to it. More so talking about coming up against a top seasoned non Ulster side. Anyways we won't be looking beyond two weeks time when we will see a much different Tyrone team. But looking at their forwards yesterday hard not to notice what a huge loss McShane is. On the opposite side Mattie Donnelly will likely be a different proposition and McKenna will be more up to pace.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 11:47:33    2299108

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "A very decent outing for the lads yesterday. The result was the most important thing and we avoided injuries/suspensions too in so far as I am aware. There was a bit of keeping the powder dry but as always there was a bit of needle and a few markers being laid down. The Murphy-McKenna collision set off a few car alarms in the town I think!

Hopefully McBrearty and Langan will be ready for action in 2 weeks. We'll need the full deck against what will surely be an improved Tyrone? It's hard to fathom why Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley weren't involved at all yesterday. I wonder are they even in the panel?"
Ha Ha true that regarding the collision. McKenna is a seriously strong lad and will be quite an addition to Tyrone. I see our former underage nemesis Conor Glass is back with Derry. He is a serious talent and will also be a serious addition to them. I am sure it will be a much different Tyrone we see in two weeks time. They will have Peter Harte back and I imagine Donnelly will have a much greater influence. Oisin Gallen seemed to get close attention yesterday but like alluded to in previous post I expect Jamie Brennan will get the same in a couple of weeks time. As you point out Lock where is the likes of Lee Brennan and Bradley? Alot of Tyrone's scores were cheaply given away yesterday rather than impressive forward play. We will certainly tighten up in that regard but from a Tyrone perspective will they improve significantly in attack? I am not so sure they will. Even look at their under twenties at the weekend who put up a great performance for long periods. They were lacking in the scoring department when it really mattered in the latter stages of that game. Tyrone have alot of physically imposing strong men and defend raptor like as a unit but missing a couple of off the cuff attacking players who can do something different when required.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 12:03:35    2299116

Link

It was a funny aul game. Both teams wanted to win but not give anything away either and it will have little bearing in two weeks. In saying that you'd gave to be happy. Division 1 status guaranteed. I'd imagine some kind of gentleman's agreement for the kerry game with key players rested. Although the logistics will be challenging for the kerry match it's on Saturday and gives an extra day's prep for championship. Tyrone have decisions to make about the mayo match. Mayo looked great yesterday and even if tyrone go all out they could take a beating and would need a favour from meath to avoid relegation. At the very least it takes up thinking time for them.

Mchugh was very good yesterday though Murphy is still the man, controlled the game great and looking at the team at the water break the team all look to him. Agree with folks on Mcgonagle. It was his best game for donegal. Wee word on Jamie brennen, an inside forward must be the most depressing place to play. You don't get many touches and quite often when you do you are surrounded. It requires a lot of discipline and you have to be very efficient with your chances, he did that yesterday scoring 1.2. The goal was a very good finish off his less preferred foot and points were also well taken. Gallen struggled with that challenge a bit yesterday and it will be a good learning for him.

The rest of the team all did well enough although a few of them turned the ball over needlessly near the end of the second half and you can't be doing that.

And a little word on conor mckenna. To be that good in his first game back was a credit to him. What a player he's going to be for tyrone, speed, power, skill he has it all. I also see mattie donnelly saying they've had no challenge matches and donegal were further ahead in their preparation. I wonder is there a little dig at harte there.

I'm not sure about the intercounty matches all going ahead. It's big ask of players and management and you have to think about their livelihoods, their well being and the well being of their loved ones. In saying that I really enjoyed the return of the intercounty football over the weekend

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 19/10/2020 12:30:42    2299132

Link

Thought it was a good display by Donegal although we should have had the match put away long before the end. Ryan McHugh was immense and Murphy, Jamie Brennan and Naill O'Donnell very good as well. It was definitely the best performance so far in a Donegal jersey for Caolan McGonagle. Tyrone looked very flat, they are bound to be better in 2 weeks time.

Hopefully McBrearty and Langan will be available soon, we would be strong with them in our starting 15. One worry I have is that we don't really have a good centre half back. Hugh McFadden does a lot of good work covering but we could do with an old fashioned stopper in that position. Stephen McMenamin could play that role but we probably can't afford to take out of the full back line. Its a shame McFadden-Ferry is not available.

The Kerry match is not really ideal, a long journey for a match which is a dead rubber for us. Possibly its a good chance to give players coming back from injury game time, such as Jason McGee and Paddy McGrath.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 19/10/2020 13:37:15    2299175

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "It was a funny aul game. Both teams wanted to win but not give anything away either and it will have little bearing in two weeks. In saying that you'd gave to be happy. Division 1 status guaranteed. I'd imagine some kind of gentleman's agreement for the kerry game with key players rested. Although the logistics will be challenging for the kerry match it's on Saturday and gives an extra day's prep for championship. Tyrone have decisions to make about the mayo match. Mayo looked great yesterday and even if tyrone go all out they could take a beating and would need a favour from meath to avoid relegation. At the very least it takes up thinking time for them.

Mchugh was very good yesterday though Murphy is still the man, controlled the game great and looking at the team at the water break the team all look to him. Agree with folks on Mcgonagle. It was his best game for donegal. Wee word on Jamie brennen, an inside forward must be the most depressing place to play. You don't get many touches and quite often when you do you are surrounded. It requires a lot of discipline and you have to be very efficient with your chances, he did that yesterday scoring 1.2. The goal was a very good finish off his less preferred foot and points were also well taken. Gallen struggled with that challenge a bit yesterday and it will be a good learning for him.

The rest of the team all did well enough although a few of them turned the ball over needlessly near the end of the second half and you can't be doing that.

And a little word on conor mckenna. To be that good in his first game back was a credit to him. What a player he's going to be for tyrone, speed, power, skill he has it all. I also see mattie donnelly saying they've had no challenge matches and donegal were further ahead in their preparation. I wonder is there a little dig at harte there.

I'm not sure about the intercounty matches all going ahead. It's big ask of players and management and you have to think about their livelihoods, their well being and the well being of their loved ones. In saying that I really enjoyed the return of the intercounty football over the weekend"
Regarding the last bit about games going ahead I am very much in the camp that they should. If a player does not want to commit due to potential health fears for themselves or family etc then there should be no pressure to do so. I imagine the teams with something to play for are very keen to see a finish to the season and were probably in the majority who voted for the season to continue. I think for the overall mental health of the nation having games will be a welcome distraction. Players have to be responsible for their contacts and movements just like we are doing. While it seems further restrictions are necessary my own feelings is that they are just pushing things down the line. The leadership at the top have been consistently inconsistent especially around different rules for big businesses and the normal population. It amazes me how little focus this gets compared to the GAA finishing out a season which is perfectly doable behind closed doors.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 13:50:00    2299186

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Thought it was a good display by Donegal although we should have had the match put away long before the end. Ryan McHugh was immense and Murphy, Jamie Brennan and Naill O'Donnell very good as well. It was definitely the best performance so far in a Donegal jersey for Caolan McGonagle. Tyrone looked very flat, they are bound to be better in 2 weeks time.

Hopefully McBrearty and Langan will be available soon, we would be strong with them in our starting 15. One worry I have is that we don't really have a good centre half back. Hugh McFadden does a lot of good work covering but we could do with an old fashioned stopper in that position. Stephen McMenamin could play that role but we probably can't afford to take out of the full back line. Its a shame McFadden-Ferry is not available.

The Kerry match is not really ideal, a long journey for a match which is a dead rubber for us. Possibly its a good chance to give players coming back from injury game time, such as Jason McGee and Paddy McGrath."
Good point GG around the centre half back position, it was something that came to my mind yesterday too. However I am not overly concerned as I think you will have different players covering that area as we have a few lads who are equally comfortable in a variety of positions. Actually I think we kept our cards close to our chests regarding the half back line as a whole yesterday. Be interesting to see if much change in two weeks time.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 13:54:52    2299190

Link

Yeah I'd be thinking that a lot of fringe players should be given game time the next day against Kerry. I wonder will the whole panel even travel down? That said, you wouldn't get much better preparation than a run out against Kerry ahead of Tyrone. It's just the time or lack thereof that's the problem. Last thing you'd want is to pick up injuries a week out from Tyrone.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 19/10/2020 13:58:34    2299191

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah I'd be thinking that a lot of fringe players should be given game time the next day against Kerry. I wonder will the whole panel even travel down? That said, you wouldn't get much better preparation than a run out against Kerry ahead of Tyrone. It's just the time or lack thereof that's the problem. Last thing you'd want is to pick up injuries a week out from Tyrone."
I would say there will be a gentleman's agreement between both sides that this game will be nothing but a glorified friendly. Both teams will welcome the run out but holding back on the intensity levels. It will probably be a very entertaining game from a scoring perspective. I imagine most players will travel.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 14:46:51    2299210

Link

A game for Murphy to play on the edge of the square maybe! No sweepers allowed etc!

I can remember us playing Cork in a qualifier in Croke Park about 4 years ago when they didn't play a sweeper and Paddy McBrearty helped himself to about 12 points!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 19/10/2020 17:03:30    2299273

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "A game for Murphy to play on the edge of the square maybe! No sweepers allowed etc!

I can remember us playing Cork in a qualifier in Croke Park about 4 years ago when they didn't play a sweeper and Paddy McBrearty helped himself to about 12 points!"
Possibly but looking at Kerry at the weekend they had alot of bodies back. However with nothing to play for at the weekend and both teams eager not to pick up injuries I think it'll be an open enough affair with Murphy spending some time inside.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/10/2020 17:43:01    2299297

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Thought it was a good display by Donegal although we should have had the match put away long before the end. Ryan McHugh was immense and Murphy, Jamie Brennan and Naill O'Donnell very good as well. It was definitely the best performance so far in a Donegal jersey for Caolan McGonagle. Tyrone looked very flat, they are bound to be better in 2 weeks time.

The Kerry match is not really ideal, a long journey for a match which is a dead rubber for us. Possibly its a good chance to give players coming back from injury game time, such as Jason McGee and Paddy McGrath."
Totally agree about the center back position G-G, can't understand why Declan does not give daire more time there, he's a strong lad and very raingy, it's a position where you need to read what's coming at you and also that your very confident whose behind you, I think him and Neil would have a good understanding between them.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 19/10/2020 18:49:15    2299333

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Totally agree about the center back position G-G, can't understand why Declan does not give daire more time there, he's a strong lad and very raingy, it's a position where you need to read what's coming at you and also that your very confident whose behind you, I think him and Neil would have a good understanding between them."
Yea I really like daire o baoill good player but reading between the lines,bonner picks his teams on in house games and he also had I believe two good challenge matches against strong opposition in Roscommon and Mayo. So maybe Brennan has been impressing more. I still rate Paul Brennan he's a very aggressive player who plays on the edge.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 19/10/2020 19:39:40    2299348

Link

Good win. Some lovely scores and looked in control.
However Tyrone will bring an unreal intensity and id worry we might turn it over too much or if they get ahead and we panic. I think that was them at around 60%. Jogging no wild intensity etc. I think they plan to shock us with intensity and work rate.

Last year we got bullied by Mayo. Looking at our game plan this week it's designed to move and hold the ball until we get into scoring zones. So in short let's hope we've learned from last year and work scoring chances and move Tyrone around the field.

If we play like the first 20 mins of the Dublin league game we'll win.

Id worry if we have to chase the game and I'm sure Mickey has a few tricks up his sleeve.

They will target Brennan and Ryan for sure as well as Murphy and will think if they keep the first 2 quiet will fancy their chances.

Id worry about Mc Kenna inside too and they will look to exploit us with high balls in. Hughie will be needed.

Saying all that. I think we have enough talent to win. Langan Mc Brearty etc to come back hopefully and as long as we move the ball well and not get bundled up hopefully we can do it.

Patience and not to panic will be the key if we do go a few down.

On a side note I hope we get to see a few of the fringe players vs Kerry.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 19/10/2020 21:33:16    2299405

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Good win. Some lovely scores and looked in control.
However Tyrone will bring an unreal intensity and id worry we might turn it over too much or if they get ahead and we panic. I think that was them at around 60%. Jogging no wild intensity etc. I think they plan to shock us with intensity and work rate.

Last year we got bullied by Mayo. Looking at our game plan this week it's designed to move and hold the ball until we get into scoring zones. So in short let's hope we've learned from last year and work scoring chances and move Tyrone around the field.

If we play like the first 20 mins of the Dublin league game we'll win.

Id worry if we have to chase the game and I'm sure Mickey has a few tricks up his sleeve.

They will target Brennan and Ryan for sure as well as Murphy and will think if they keep the first 2 quiet will fancy their chances.

Id worry about Mc Kenna inside too and they will look to exploit us with high balls in. Hughie will be needed.

Saying all that. I think we have enough talent to win. Langan Mc Brearty etc to come back hopefully and as long as we move the ball well and not get bundled up hopefully we can do it.

Patience and not to panic will be the key if we do go a few down.

On a side note I hope we get to see a few of the fringe players vs Kerry."
Hi TheRock2121: If Murphy, Ryan and Hughie are kept quiet, are there other leaders there ready to step up. Kerry 4-20 Donegal 4-20

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 20/10/2020 13:23:10    2299576

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi TheRock2121: If Murphy, Ryan and Hughie are kept quiet, are there other leaders there ready to step up. Kerry 4-20 Donegal 4-20"
Niall O'Donnell and Peader Mogan were big leaders through underage and will be again at senior when they get more experience. Daire O'Baoill showed great leadership qualities in defeat against Mayo last year. Ciaran Thompson has it in his locker. If Donegal have serious intentions this year lads will be required to step up as Murphy and Ryan will be marked men. We will certainly get an idea in two weeks time.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 20/10/2020 13:47:48    2299596

Link

Comment to note on the promising natural chemistry between Oisin Farrah and Jamie Brennan. Sometimes it can be hard to spot such a thing on the TV, but at least in highlights they worked excellently in tandem v Tyrone. Particularly Farrah's excellent disguised burst wide opening space for Murphy to pick out the unmarked Jamie Brennan for his goal.

If the two men keep it up then McBrearty will have his work cut out for him to make his way into the starting 15 as crazy as that may seem.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 20/10/2020 19:36:31    2299708

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Niall O'Donnell and Peader Mogan were big leaders through underage and will be again at senior when they get more experience. Daire O'Baoill showed great leadership qualities in defeat against Mayo last year. Ciaran Thompson has it in his locker. If Donegal have serious intentions this year lads will be required to step up as Murphy and Ryan will be marked men. We will certainly get an idea in two weeks time."
Completely agree with all points.

Audiman the issue with Donegal in the past is we relied on Paddy Ryan and MM. It's a good question you ask. And something we will learn a lot about in 2 weeks time.!

What is a leader? Someone who stands up and dose something that inspires. I think we have enough outside those big named players to lead and stand up. Langan, Thompson Eoghan Ban etc.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 20/10/2020 20:49:12    2299730

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Comment to note on the promising natural chemistry between Oisin Farrah and Jamie Brennan. Sometimes it can be hard to spot such a thing on the TV, but at least in highlights they worked excellently in tandem v Tyrone. Particularly Farrah's excellent disguised burst wide opening space for Murphy to pick out the unmarked Jamie Brennan for his goal.

If the two men keep it up then McBrearty will have his work cut out for him to make his way into the starting 15 as crazy as that may seem."
Oisin farrah (spell check wants to call him ferrari) was a little bit peripheral on Sunday. That would have been one of first real experiences against such a claustrophobic defence so he'll learn from that. He's probably a little bit of s&c to add as well. Though he was probably the best forward in the club championship so the talent is there.

Jamie has been very effective in the league, got 2 points from play in every league game he's played and added to that with the goal at the weekend. He gets fouled plenty too for frees. He's two good feet and that coupled with the little burst of pace buys him the time he needs to kick points. Though I suppose the way he kicks the ball, with little follow through means he's not that accurate from distance. They both give the aura of being very dedicated and team orientated so there is no reason why they can't continue to build the chemistry needed.

And overall competition is the spice of life farrah, Jamie, mcbrearty, nod, langan, Thompson, murphy, Mogan, mcclean and some of the other younger players competing in training should bring them all on.

And think bonner relies on training performance quite a bit and would imagine that's why mckelvey played on Sunday. He's kind of a defender first and along with mcmenamin and mcgee you need defenders who thrive on being defenders. It's a bit of bad timing with the county for mcfadden-ferry though life is important too.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 20/10/2020 22:07:37    2299760

Link

Is the match on TV/Online this weekend?

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 21/10/2020 15:01:46    2299963

Link