Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Commodore:  "A few different commentators from down south have mentioned the amount of talent we have in our squad.

Ciaran Whelan has mentioned the number of special new talents Donegal have, as had Tomas O'Se and Colm O'Rourke and others in conversations. What stands out for me, is amount of big pacey players we have with outstanding footballing ability, there is huge potential in this side.

While our underage sides are usually competitive now, its our ability to regularly produce a few outstanding players at each grade that gives us a strong hand at senior level. The core of this current side is made up of players aged 24 or younger, and they are continuously getting stronger.

I thought the Sunday Game analysis by Sean Cavanagh and Oisin McConville was purposely lazy, about our poor record against Top 6 teams in 2018 - 2020, they ignored facts such as being in Division 2 and who we played in the Super 8's each year. It also ignored that we are a growing force, the bulk of our team made their debuts in 2017 - 2019 and have already won McKenna Cup, Division 2 league and 2 x Ulster Championships."
I found the Sunday Game coverage fairly reductive but no surprises there. The majority of GAA coverage is poor. Hopefully the 10 point win over Monaghan made them feel better about Donegal's record.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 22/03/2020 21:04:44    2274323

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "We r not defending Dr Maguire untill next year ,we have a war to fight against this Virus ,which some say will bring us up to next spring ,Everyone stay safe and social distancing ,until then look after each other especially the most vunerable."
Is the Tidy Towns going ahead this year? #15Times

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 23/03/2020 09:24:54    2274337

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Is the Tidy Towns going ahead this year? #15Times"
Hi Manus the tidy town is the least of our concern ,or the club championships or indeed the Ulster or All Ireland ,as there r more important things right now ,keeping all our people safe ,and by the way we don't want people crossing the border to take up living in their holiday homes or camping sites ,football can wait ,so everyone keep safe ,as that is more important at this time .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 24/03/2020 18:25:29    2274517

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Folks my fear is that the entire County Season for 2020 will be null and void and to retain some resemblance of structure to the calendar, and football for all- the best thing to do would just be kick off the Club championship in September/October as normal and just accept the County season is gone for 2020."
Its 3 weeks since this post and the silence from the GAA is deafening. We are a matter of weeks out from a Championship that players and Team have been preparing for since November and unless something spectacular happens in the next few weeks it is not going to go ahead in its intended format.

Is there much value in a rapid fire buzzer round of a Championship played in 5 or 6 weeks in Sept/Oct?- Would worthy champions be crowned?

I dont see much prospect of spectators being back inside venues in their thousands any time this calendar year and certainly not before the clocks change again.

I think the GAA should do right by their players and abandon the entire playing calendar for 2020 and let people get on with day to day life and tackling this virus I have not heard any mention yet, that the lifting of the current restrictions which may permit football to return, are going to go hand in hand with restrictions that would push students pretty sharpely into exam season. So intercounty players could possibly have to juggle important exams whilst taking part in a rapid fire championship. Not possible IMO.

Lets see how this post plays out in the weeks and months ahead but it is not looking positive at this stage.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 09/04/2020 15:25:34    2275618

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Its 3 weeks since this post and the silence from the GAA is deafening. We are a matter of weeks out from a Championship that players and Team have been preparing for since November and unless something spectacular happens in the next few weeks it is not going to go ahead in its intended format.

Is there much value in a rapid fire buzzer round of a Championship played in 5 or 6 weeks in Sept/Oct?- Would worthy champions be crowned?

I dont see much prospect of spectators being back inside venues in their thousands any time this calendar year and certainly not before the clocks change again.

I think the GAA should do right by their players and abandon the entire playing calendar for 2020 and let people get on with day to day life and tackling this virus I have not heard any mention yet, that the lifting of the current restrictions which may permit football to return, are going to go hand in hand with restrictions that would push students pretty sharpely into exam season. So intercounty players could possibly have to juggle important exams whilst taking part in a rapid fire championship. Not possible IMO.

Lets see how this post plays out in the weeks and months ahead but it is not looking positive at this stage."
Hi Manus ,I can't c any sport up and running until they find a vaccine for this Virus ,listening to the medical experts ,the public will have to get used to the shaking hands even a thing of the past ,so how can any sport especially team sport taking place ,or maybe I took it up wrong ,which I do all the time ,any answer,s.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 11/04/2020 09:47:17    2275754

Link

Hey lads, was just wondering does this lock down have any advantages for Donegal..I suppose when this is done we'll have Paddy McGrath, Oisin Gallen, Stephen McMenamin, kerien Gillespie and Jason McGee back from injury..a nice bit of talent there. Also nice rest for Michael Murphy and Neil mcgee..but on the downside Murphy and mcgee will be a year older. What's everyone opinion and has anyone heard about the progress of the players I mentioned above..stay safe everyone

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 13/04/2020 18:00:56    2275909

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Hey lads, was just wondering does this lock down have any advantages for Donegal..I suppose when this is done we'll have Paddy McGrath, Oisin Gallen, Stephen McMenamin, kerien Gillespie and Jason McGee back from injury..a nice bit of talent there. Also nice rest for Michael Murphy and Neil mcgee..but on the downside Murphy and mcgee will be a year older. What's everyone opinion and has anyone heard about the progress of the players I mentioned above..stay safe everyone"
I will be very surprised if there are any games played this year. Until the Vaccine gets out Covid-19 won't be going away.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 14/04/2020 10:47:55    2275934

Link

Can't see Gillespie being back.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 14/04/2020 15:29:58    2275956

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Can't see Gillespie being back."
Gone on to his Instagram account KGfitness..he is doing some serious strength work and is looking in great shape

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 14/04/2020 20:55:25    2275990

Link

Firstly, I hope everyone is safe and well. In these dark times it is difficult to even think of playing football matches. Possibly the club season could go ahead in some fashion but the inter-county season must be in serious doubt. It is really hard to see the government allowing any events that have large scale gatherings going ahead. The only possibility I can envisage is the inter-county games being played behind closed doors as there won't be a vaccine this year. It would be very strange matches being played behind closed doors with no spectators but at least we would have the possibility of watching matches on TV. However I don't want matches going ahead at all if this is going to put the health of players, coaches or the general public at risk. These are very strange times indeed.

What do other posters think? Would it be better to postpone the season or play the games behind closed doors with no fans - assuming that is even allowed?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 14/04/2020 21:00:42    2275991

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Firstly, I hope everyone is safe and well. In these dark times it is difficult to even think of playing football matches. Possibly the club season could go ahead in some fashion but the inter-county season must be in serious doubt. It is really hard to see the government allowing any events that have large scale gatherings going ahead. The only possibility I can envisage is the inter-county games being played behind closed doors as there won't be a vaccine this year. It would be very strange matches being played behind closed doors with no spectators but at least we would have the possibility of watching matches on TV. However I don't want matches going ahead at all if this is going to put the health of players, coaches or the general public at risk. These are very strange times indeed.

What do other posters think? Would it be better to postpone the season or play the games behind closed doors with no fans - assuming that is even allowed?"
I posted this on the main forum. As much as people don't want to hear it, and I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but I think we need to get our heads around the fact that there will likely be no club or county action played in 2020.

Like a lot of people I was hopeful that there might at least be the possibility of club football bring played, and maybe county championship played behind closed doors.

But after I read this article from Sports Illustrated at the weekend I really don't think there is any other option but to postpone everything indefinitely. No matter how careful the GAA is, it is simply far too risky to try to try it.

Have a read for yourselves. I know it was written with pro US sports in mind but I think it is also applicable to us. The only conclusion I could draw from it was that it would be foolish in the extreme and would only result in further infections and even more pressure being put on our already beleaguered HSE.

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon?__twitter_impression=true

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 14/04/2020 22:38:40    2275998

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I posted this on the main forum. As much as people don't want to hear it, and I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but I think we need to get our heads around the fact that there will likely be no club or county action played in 2020.

Like a lot of people I was hopeful that there might at least be the possibility of club football bring played, and maybe county championship played behind closed doors.

But after I read this article from Sports Illustrated at the weekend I really don't think there is any other option but to postpone everything indefinitely. No matter how careful the GAA is, it is simply far too risky to try to try it.

Have a read for yourselves. I know it was written with pro US sports in mind but I think it is also applicable to us. The only conclusion I could draw from it was that it would be foolish in the extreme and would only result in further infections and even more pressure being put on our already beleaguered HSE.

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon?__twitter_impression=true"
I have been saying that for weeks ,the GAA will not and cannot allow contact ,sport ,and that applies to all sports ,where there is contact, not until their is a proven Vaccine available ,and that according to one expert might be 2022.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 15/04/2020 09:45:35    2276013

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I posted this on the main forum. As much as people don't want to hear it, and I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but I think we need to get our heads around the fact that there will likely be no club or county action played in 2020.

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon?__twitter_impression=true"
Thanks for sending that article Lockjaw, it makes for very sobering reading. It really is difficult to see any football being played this year.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 15/04/2020 11:18:13    2276019

Link

Well at least yesterday we heard from the GAA as the carrot was kicked alittle further down the road. 'July at the very earliest'

There is not the slightest chance of a Championship returning in July and if it goes on any later you are left with 2 options.

- Change the format and have a rapid fire Championship over 6 or 7 weeks sometime before the time changes. (what about the league?)
- Cancel the whole shebang for 2020

My feeling is that we will get some type of definitive answer in June where a pathway is at least laid out.

But as mentioned by others- No Vaccine means No safety in a crowd for players or supporters. And No Safety means no activity.

To me, all sports and the government in general are playing blink here. Who is gonna be first to turn the lights out on hope for 2020?

We have no clue when children are going back to school, when important exams can take place. Theres a whole host of things that need to come before the return of football and hurling. The Major Professional sports around the world with their billion pound TV deals cant sort this. So i doubt the GAA will be first with a solution!

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 15/04/2020 11:30:57    2276020

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "I have been saying that for weeks ,the GAA will not and cannot allow contact ,sport ,and that applies to all sports ,where there is contact, not until their is a proven Vaccine available ,and that according to one expert might be 2022."
Yeah as much as it pains me to say it I agree. It's all very well saying we'll have restrictions on crowds attending/controls in place.

But what happens if even one player tests positive? It would mean the entire squad, management and background staff having to go into quarantine for two weeks. Their families as well. All over a game of football? It is ludicrous to even suggest it to be honest.

I reckon unless we get to a situation where it has been proven that once you've had the virus you can no longer be infected and are immune, then it's a wait until the vaccine arrives.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 15/04/2020 11:58:10    2276022

Link

Totally unrelated.. there was a Hoganstand Quiz on players who played for one county and then another... For example, Leitrim to Donegal... answer was Paul Brennan. But there was one which was Armagh to Donegal... anyone know who played for Armagh and then Donegal?! Many thanks

DonegalAtlantic (Donegal) - Posts: 95 - 15/04/2020 12:20:21    2276023

Link

Coulter the hurler I think moved to Donegal.
Gillespie looks in great shape in his Instagram and he deserves a good run at it. However I can't see it being this year. Hope I'm wrong.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 15/04/2020 18:38:38    2276043

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Coulter the hurler I think moved to Donegal.
Gillespie looks in great shape in his Instagram and he deserves a good run at it. However I can't see it being this year. Hope I'm wrong."
In so far as Gillespie is concerned the enforced postponement of all games might be a good thing. It really is looking likely that there might not be any collective training or games in 2020 so maybe a League return in 2021 is a good target for him?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 16/04/2020 10:11:33    2276092

Link

Just read an article on Nathan Mullins saying he hasn't given up hope on being called back into the Donegal set up. Can he still offer something to Donegal..what do yous think?
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/04/17/news/mullins-not-content-to-give-up-on-donegal-dream-1904717/?param=ds441rif44T

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 21/04/2020 14:16:44    2276389

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Just read an article on Nathan Mullins saying he hasn't given up hope on being called back into the Donegal set up. Can he still offer something to Donegal..what do yous think?
I" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/04/17/news/mullins-not-content-to-give-up-on-donegal-dream-1904717/?param=ds441rif44T"
I read the article too. Why not? But he has to get over his injury issues and find his form. Given his age profile time is not on his side. Whether he does make it or not there is no denying his commitment and desire. For that alone I hope he gets another opportunity. This when some don't wanna commit cause they got to travel an hour to training.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 21/04/2020 14:51:15    2276396

Link