Antrim Forum

Convention Time

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Mambo, karl stewart,k mc gourty,m herron and others play div2 hurling and rem clute played for armoy and he was one of the best

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 20/11/2010 14:02:13    819792

Link

I believe st.Johns are trying to over turn the Under age rule , where juvenile players are unable to transfer to other clubs, unless they have moved parish/home, again trying to stifle th egrowth of smaller clubs as they try to hoove rup all the talent. This rule was passed at HQ , so i cant see it being successful. After the season they have had at under age level- they hardly need more players -just coach the ones they have ! LOL they are using some rule about child protection as a means to over rulr the ban _ absolute pathetic if you aske me!

conair0 (Antrim) - Posts: 45 - 20/11/2010 20:08:52    819917

Link

we wouldnt be having this debate if glenarrife had of been relegated, im glad they stayed up, but i really think having rossa st johns and ballycastle in div 1 is better for the county. a more competitive league to benefit all.

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 21/11/2010 14:35:03    820077

Link

dont agree pol it will only weakin div 2 and st johns are only doing this for their own agenda

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 21/11/2010 16:01:12    820121

Link

allowing juveniles to transfer would be one rule id like to see brought back at convention, if so called smaller clubs dont put in the work required then kids will want to leave, its not the kids fault its these clubs.

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 21/11/2010 17:05:52    820176

Link

RE: Cormac Donnelly playing in Div2 being good for Antrim hurling

I don't think it would do Antrim hurling any harm. As has been documented at length many other county squads have players who play in the lower leagues. Tom Kenny of Cork being one example. Why should rules that were set in place at the start of the season be ignored because a few teams didn't end up in the position they would like. Put the work in next year and get back to where you think you deserve to be!

ar_an_chnoc (Antrim) - Posts: 142 - 21/11/2010 17:33:12    820197

Link

Last year was the only year in a long time that we actually got the leagues completed, it really was a success, very competitive at both the Top & Bottom. I am not sure if increasing the team no's to 10 will actually be of benefit, as going by past yrs, the fixtures will probably not be fulfilled, meaningless matches being played into nov/dec and the bigger safe teams fielding somewhat understrength teams so as not to be fined.

I have no objections to a 10 team league but in order to make it work, we may need to open July for matches, start earlier - not be able to postpone matches etc (only a few suggestions) or just leave it as is with 8 teams.

I am fairly confident that this motion will be passed and it will be a 10 team league but hopefully somebody mentions the previous fixtures debacle.

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 22/11/2010 12:47:30    820614

Link

What going to happen when some child makes an allegation against one of his mentors because he wants to move clubs ,dont say it wont happen because of child protection being in place as mud sticks and it could ruin somebodies life .

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 22/11/2010 18:47:32    821014

Link

Outdone 100% right leagues dont need to be touched they are working fine but its the two teams who got these leagues in place who want to change them again because it didnt work for them ie.last year st johns went down this ballycastle should go down with 10 teams they should be safe, on paper anyway.This is not for the good of hurling its for the good of two clubs and as you said the fixtures wont be finished because of relagation teams at the bottom wont play without their county players and why should they.Look if its working dont change it.

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 22/11/2010 19:29:32    821055

Link

I agree the eight team league was a good set up and had some good competitive games. It all ran well to the championship started and then some teams declined to field in their league games.
I agree that their should not be any restructuring of the league (div 1) just to suit one team. If you can't win the points you shouldn't be there, take a year in the lower division to re-group.

silvertoungue (Antrim) - Posts: 101 - 23/11/2010 10:29:34    821277

Link

I agree it should be a eight team league ,get rid of the down teams and let the Antrim teams play for there places in an Antrim league.Can yous not see past your hatred for other Antrim teams ,this county has to push past old ideas that the competition there getting from down teams is top level its not ,its second rate because we're second rate compared to southern clubs level .Use the time to travel to cork Tipp and kk and play teams that show you the level that has to be achieved.

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 23/11/2010 21:19:53    821826

Link

nothing to do with hatred mambo but we cant go changing the set up every year to suit some teams,this wasnt on the table last year when the jonnies went down.So tell me this if we get rid of the down teams and say the dall are bottom next year what do we do then change again because we cant have their county players in div2.Im not getting at you for this but where do we stop changing the set up and bye the way I never wanted the down teams in our leagues from the start as I also wanted more antrim teams playing at the top but we cant just dump them out

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 26/11/2010 19:52:07    823562

Link

If there was eight Antrim teams in the league certainly the bottom Antrim team could go down as long as another Antrim team comes up ,two down teams are plenty in our league let their results determine if they stay up,the bottom of the three goes down.One other thing do you think Antrim hurling has progressed since the down teams came into our leagues are we getting better results against the top teams ,dont think so.We need the likes of Cormac Donnelly playing at the top of his game the same goes for all the minor team we had a couple of seasons ago,they are just starting to filter through now this is our future ...they need div 1 hurling ...div 2 is not strong enough in Antrim it may be in some of the stronger counties down south but not here....

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 29/11/2010 14:25:31    824503

Link

good lad mumbo ur 100% rite keep up the team that finished bottom and put down 1 of the others, after all Cormac needs div1 hurlin, after all Dinny hadnt got any Div2 players on his squad.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 30/11/2010 20:12:23    825507

Link

so it appears that there will be no league restructuring for the incoming yr - unless there is a 2/3rds majority. Ballycastle, Rossa will be playing in Div 2 with the 3 down teams remaining in Div 1.

This will make for an interesting DIV 2 and a competitive Div 1 with 5 teams fighting out relagation (assumption is C'dall /l'guile and Dunloy being safe)

What do you think? I personnally think that the right decision was made - you can't keep restructuring the leagues, last yr was a success so lets keep it that way.

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 15/12/2010 10:29:49    833209

Link

However with no changes to the league we still have teams in division 4 getting a maximum of 8 league games!!!!!!

exiled_john (Antrim) - Posts: 18 - 15/12/2010 11:31:14    833245

Link

well said exciled john , the reality is actually a lot worse with teams failing to field and with scorelines in the region of 4-17 to 1-4 the matches that actually go ahead are usually farcial. This results in the top 2 teams effectivley having a play off against eachother for promotion

skillstar93 (Antrim) - Posts: 41 - 15/12/2010 20:47:19    833660

Link

Looks like with the 2/3 motion the division1 clubs (Ballycastle) are going to have to do some canvassing to secure the 10 team leage? Do you guys think this proposal with go through or fall away?

Poucher (Antrim) - Posts: 5 - 16/12/2010 13:34:18    833887

Link

word is ballycastle will be saved, i think they canvassed soon after they officially were relegated, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 16/12/2010 18:05:03    834120

Link