Wicklow Forum

Clubs in Wicklow

(Oldest Posts First)

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=267360

Just read the above article and to say that only ONE person turned up from the 40+ clubs we have in Wicklow is an absolute and complete disgrace. Am I surprised????? Not really. Ah well, at least all the players and coaches know the new rules so there should be no hassle in the games so.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 195 - 08/03/2017 14:56:33    1965456

Link

Replying To Monopoly:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=267360

Just read the above article and to say that only ONE person turned up from the 40+ clubs we have in Wicklow is an absolute and complete disgrace. Am I surprised????? Not really. Ah well, at least all the players and coaches know the new rules so there should be no hassle in the games so."
Really a non-story. Why would people feel the need to go to a course on a ruling they already know. It's a pointless course.
If a person reads about it and knows the rule then they do not attend the course - this is a non-story. If a person reads about it and doesn't know the rule then they have to ask themselves - will it positively impact my contribution to the GAA. The likely answer is no so they do not attend the course. Therefore it's a non-story. If someone doesn't know the rule and feels it'd positively impact their contribution to Wicklow GAA and still decide not to go then that's their choice - I would say the number falling into that category are minimal.

This doesn't imply an attitude of Wicklow to coaching or games development nor does it imply anything relevant about the state of Wicklow GAA
Pointless course, pointless article, pointless thread

wicklu (Wicklow) - Posts: 331 - 08/03/2017 15:35:38    1965478

Link

I am involved in juvinlae coaching. Pehaps those involved in the running of GAA in the county are mandated to provide courses, but sheer volume that are pushed at people involved is prohibitive. Each week there is a course whether it be code of ethics, refereeing for Go games, coaching etc. Its going to be some of the same people at whom this course is aimed at so it was never going to be viable or really relavant to many; its already a saturated market. Of course its not newsworthy to report on the well attended events that happen every week

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 85 - 08/03/2017 16:04:26    1965490

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "I am involved in juvinlae coaching. Pehaps those involved in the running of GAA in the county are mandated to provide courses, but sheer volume that are pushed at people involved is prohibitive. Each week there is a course whether it be code of ethics, refereeing for Go games, coaching etc. Its going to be some of the same people at whom this course is aimed at so it was never going to be viable or really relavant to many; its already a saturated market. Of course its not newsworthy to report on the well attended events that happen every week"
Well said clubfan. I totally agree. There are almost daily emails sent to club coaches about courses, so much so that mine are now being marked as 'spam'. Somebody needs to realise fast that the juvenile coach is a volunteer, and while willing to give up a certain amount of personal time, there are limits.

An A4 Colour pdf document with clear illustratrations of the mark rule would be sufficient for any coach. It's not rocket science.

ogra (Wicklow) - Posts: 142 - 08/03/2017 16:35:47    1965497

Link

"The SFL Division 3 clash between Shillelagh and St Pat's was abandoned this evening after 21 minutes of the second half by referee Darragh Byrne. Three red cards and two black cards were issued to Shillelagh players while one black card and a red (two yellows) were issued to Pat's players."

Can anyone shed some light as to why this was actually abandoned? The black cards are irrelevant as players can be replaced. 4 red cards in total. There was only 10mins left in the game, why was it abandoned????

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 23/04/2017 14:49:13    1981864

Link

They got sent off....well.....because they were caught picking daisies!!!

Ed007 (Wicklow) - Posts: 18 - 24/04/2017 19:41:47    1982334

Link

Well, that doesn't really answer my question. Why was the game abandoned? If there is a certain amount of red cards, does it have to be abandoned?

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 25/04/2017 15:19:08    1982558

Link

Replying To Ed007:  "They got sent off....well.....because they were caught picking daisies!!!"
Will there have to be a replay ? or will the team that was leading at the time get the points.

major (Wicklow) - Posts: 3 - 25/04/2017 20:20:36    1982659

Link

Replying To major:  "Will there have to be a replay ? or will the team that was leading at the time get the points."
Pats got the points anyway according to the results on the website. Has the County Board issued any suspensions?

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 123 - 26/04/2017 08:13:12    1982741

Link