Wexford Forum

Club Hurling Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree pinkie. 12 team structure working very well. It's great to see club hurling games on a dry Sod in August. Most games are hard fought and keenly contested. Plenty of young panels so not doing any harm getting plenty of matches in.
Hopefully it keeps running every 2 weeks now. Final then in early October.

fecksakeref (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 16/08/2016 21:12:31    1902035

Link

Replying To Linebacker:  "Was at all the games this weekend,standard is terrible!!oulart are still miles ahead of the chasing pack followes by the martins!! Oulart toyed around with ferns,the martins the same with the rapps!! Barntown really gave the shels a good hiding,the shels look completely out of sorts!! Gorey and st annes was a terrible game,the conor mcdonald show,how eoin conroy is on the wexford senior team is beyond me!!dee okeeffe aswell just terrible the annes r in trouble!!rathnure and clougbawn bad game,rathnure down to 14 still could have won the game,cloughbawns defence is terrible!!barry carton best man on the field!!faythe harriers are in big trouble the completely fell apart against a bad buffers alley team if the harriers dont get there act together they could go down i think they are in the relegation final now against the shells or annes depending on results!!standard poor really and not to many lads standing out!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts:92 - 15/08/2016 13:47:30 1901268

How did Richie Kehoe Play ??? Suprised you did not give him a mention"
Richie was very poor, taken for a lot of scores by Willie Doran. Too loose and not quick enough

luvgaa (Wexford) - Posts: 154 - 17/08/2016 18:07:43    1902405

Link

Replying To Linebacker:  "Was at all the games this weekend,standard is terrible!!oulart are still miles ahead of the chasing pack followes by the martins!! Oulart toyed around with ferns,the martins the same with the rapps!! Barntown really gave the shels a good hiding,the shels look completely out of sorts!! Gorey and st annes was a terrible game,the conor mcdonald show,how eoin conroy is on the wexford senior team is beyond me!!dee okeeffe aswell just terrible the annes r in trouble!!rathnure and clougbawn bad game,rathnure down to 14 still could have won the game,cloughbawns defence is terrible!!barry carton best man on the field!!faythe harriers are in big trouble the completely fell apart against a bad buffers alley team if the harriers dont get there act together they could go down i think they are in the relegation final now against the shells or annes depending on results!!standard poor really and not to many lads standing out!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts:92 - 15/08/2016 13:47:30 1901268

How did Richie Kehoe Play ??? Suprised you did not give him a mention"
I know i talk about him a bit and,as iv said i really like him as a hurler,one of me favourite for some time now!!now seens you asked he played ok in the first half,wasnt very good for the first 10 in the second half,went full back as the full back was takin off because he was getting destroyed!!!he played very well there for the rest of the game!!also he was outstanding at full back on garrett sinnott against oulart!!the harriers tho im afraid are in real trouble they could be relegated to be honest!!if either chin or kehoe got injured id say good luck to them!! As iv said on earlier post barry carton was a stand out performer along with conor mc this weekend!! Standard wasnt the best worst two team that iv seen are the harriers and the st annes!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 17/08/2016 18:41:37    1902417

Link

Replying To fecksakeref:  "I agree pinkie. 12 team structure working very well. It's great to see club hurling games on a dry Sod in August. Most games are hard fought and keenly contested. Plenty of young panels so not doing any harm getting plenty of matches in.
Hopefully it keeps running every 2 weeks now. Final then in early October."
I agree that 12 teams seems about right but the group structure can lead to certain clubs planning their group games.
I've seen a structure in another county which might make the championship more interesting.
Basically the first round championship games are drawn from a hat 2 weeks ahead.
after the first round there is an open draw for round 2 the only proviso being that you cant play the same team twice in the league stages.
this continues for 4 or 5 rounds with a league table compiled of all the results.
at the end of the league stage top 8 teams go to quarter final with 1 v 8, 2 v7, 3 v 6 & 4 v 5.
I'm told its working very well and making the championship much more interesting and less predictable at group stages.
Any thoughts.

fearcliste (Wexford) - Posts: 169 - 18/08/2016 14:23:11    1902776

Link

Replying To tommyt:  "St. Martins to top their group.

Rapps to be an easy quarter final opponent for Cloughbawn/Ferns/Alley.

Rathnure have hit their peak and are on the decline.

Oulart to win the final vs St Martins if they don't meet in semi. I might change my mind if they did depending on form.

Relegation will go to whoever finishes bottom of Group A."
I have to give myself a pat on the back!!

Cloughban and Oulart final.

tommyt (Wexford) - Posts: 77 - 19/09/2016 10:41:30    1916096

Link

Replying To fearcliste:  "I agree that 12 teams seems about right but the group structure can lead to certain clubs planning their group games.
I've seen a structure in another county which might make the championship more interesting.
Basically the first round championship games are drawn from a hat 2 weeks ahead.
after the first round there is an open draw for round 2 the only proviso being that you cant play the same team twice in the league stages.
this continues for 4 or 5 rounds with a league table compiled of all the results.
at the end of the league stage top 8 teams go to quarter final with 1 v 8, 2 v7, 3 v 6 & 4 v 5.
I'm told its working very well and making the championship much more interesting and less predictable at group stages.
Any thoughts."
Interesting. I think there is a problem in that if you remain in the same grade for a number of years (since 2010), you play the same teams year after year if they get drawn in your group which there is a good chance of that happen. I prefered when there were just groups of 4. I dont know if there would be much appetite for going back to this but maybe three groups of 4 (keeping 12 in each grade) top team (3) and second placed qualifys (3) for quarter finals, then two of the best third placed teams into quarters. Might be a bit complicated but means less matches. I do think the system at the moment could be tweeked.

unrealchap (Wexford) - Posts: 75 - 19/09/2016 13:28:52    1916251

Link

The system we have at the moment is brilliant. Right up until the last round of group fixtures every team except for Faythe Harriers could qualify for the quarter finals. In intermediate every team except for Blackwater could qualify. It is creating a very competitive championship and does not need to be changed. Also the competitiveness of the new system is clear to see when promoted teams are making semi finals and finals of the higher grade the following year. Intermediate and intermediate A is a perfect example. 4 winners of intermediate A hurling are 2012 Gorey (got to intermediate final the following year and are now senior)
2013 Shamrocks (won intermediate the following year)
2014 Crossabeg (got to intermediate final the following year)
2015 Monageer (lost intermediate quarter final this year by 2 points, beat two of the other semi finalists in the group stages and lost to the other by 2 points)

These stats and evidence show that the system is creating competitive championships and 10 of the 12 teams in each grade are playing at least 6 championship matches every year. We have more matches, more competitiveness and hopefully standards will start to rise.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 19/09/2016 14:23:49    1916313

Link