Wexford Forum

Black card, good idea?

(Oldest Posts First)

would be interested in peoples views on the black card rule. personally i dont like it, puts more grey area in refs minds than they need, trying to judge if offence merits yellow , black or red card.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 30/04/2014 09:38:50    1582311

Link

The black card is only used by 50% of refs as far as I can see some refs have not got the memo regarding the rule change or if they have are determined to go yellow for everything rather than take the black option.

This would imply they are reluctant to make a decision so yellow is the default mode.

so If the ref is not a follower of black cards you will escape a black card in the first half and more than likely get a yellow regardless of the nature of the foul.

If the ref is a disher out (or a decision maker) of black cards you will be carded in any half and at any time.

I have seen greater use of black cards in under age matches where as refs in an adult match will be more reluctant to dish them out.

I wonder why.

Whats to bet that the top yellow and red card refs wont be the top black card refs as well by the end of the year.

L

Linebacker (Wexford) - Posts: 100 - 30/04/2014 22:04:35    1582779

Link

I thought is was a good idea, but after seeing a few rounds of the league and 2 rounds of the championship i'm not so sure that there is any point in having it at club level. In my opinion the refs in the county haven't the bottle to use it (at adult level anyway), especially in situations where there is blatant pulling back and cynical tackles...

refs are only too quick to send players off the field for no gumshield but when it comes to implementing the black card rules they aren't so keen. There are yellows and tickings being dished out like nothing i've seen before but i've only witnessed 1 black card and even that was when the attacker was running away from the goal, going no where...

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 01/05/2014 08:24:36    1582782

Link

I hate the black card and have a discussion on the main page about it.

Referees should use the rules fully and properly. They don't. Rather than the GAA make them use the rules fully and properly, they went and invented a load of other rules like this black card. It's nonsense.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 01/05/2014 11:21:27    1582858

Link