Tipperary Forum

No plan B

(Oldest Posts First)

I just read your review Ormandbannerman and I don't agree with you when you say the 5 point win flattered Kilkenny. KK were the better team for the last 10 minutes of the 1st half and the last 20 minutes of the 2nd. Tipp's performance was patchy. Are all Tipp supporters licking their lips with a return to route 1 hurling? I'm not. Eamon O'Shea saw that Tipp's forwards are hopeless to win high ball and designed an attractive brand of hurling to help us compete with KK. It was about one f'en, f'en (sorry administrator but it's still raw) inch from bearing fruit. MR has tried to bring in a big FF and beat the ball down on top of him. Is it more complex than that? Someone please tell me because I can't see it. Also can anyone tell me where Denis Maher is? I honestly believed he was the next big thing, a much better prospect than JF. He's a big man with pace and skill to burn, ideal HF.

Positives: Gleeson improves game by game, what a save from that 65, Barrett, Hamill and Cahill excellent. James Barry excellent new CB, BM was very good, Bubbles is a class above. 7or 8 top class hurlers will not win you an All Ire.

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 46 - 22/02/2016 20:17:45    1827334

Link

The things I noticed which were the same from the 2014 replayed final was Kilkenny's ball winning ability and their intensity in the tackle. Skill wise I don't see much between the two teams and if Seamie Callanan was fit his average contribution might have made the difference. Midfield is a concern though, the inexperience showed in both ball winning and distribution. Shane McGrath and James Woodlock have left a huge void and I would think about bringing Brendan Maher back in there as he looked very comfortable there before and would add a bit of know how to that area of the field.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1962 - 24/02/2016 10:15:46    1827673

Link

I think its not a good idea to have anything to say on Michael Ryan or the team this early.
They need to settle in as this is a big change for everyone so all needs to be given a chance.
They need our support and encoragement remember its a long hard road

JC Wales (Tipperary) - Posts: 3040 - 24/02/2016 14:15:51    1827786

Link

You're right JC Wales, they do need our support but it doesn't mean that we can't give an opinion irrespective at what time of the year it is. The main point of my argument above is that if we are going to go the tactic of lobbing high balls to target men then they'd had better be able to win at least 50% or more of them. Unfortunately against the standard bearers of hurling in this country, KK, we can't do it. We never have. So, after last Sunday in Nolan park I haven't seen anything that will give me optimism for the year ahead regarding winning and All Ireland. James Woodlock and Shane McGrath are huge losses at midfield and there isn't replacements in the short term. Are there?

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 46 - 26/02/2016 18:50:31    1828514

Link

Fergo I dout if any manager has formulated any plan in Feb mud they are trying out possible new talent and tinkering around with ideas with any plans for the start of the CH.
Any players are a loss to the team but Tipp have possibly the best mid field in the country if they choose to play it in B Maher P McGrath. They may have a good squad with M Cahill J and P McGrath back a few players maturing and talent coming through + O'Callahan Bergin the should be bright

JC Wales (Tipperary) - Posts: 3040 - 27/02/2016 16:16:35    1828638

Link