Galway Forum

Galway Football 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

With all who has gone from the 2021 panel, who are the top 24 players in Galway available for selection?

Sportsfanatic90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 04/04/2021 09:30:18    2335914

Link

We should rename this thread 'The Kevin Walsh thread'.

Really need to get back to competitive action soon for everyones sake.

tribescity (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 04/04/2021 21:51:57    2335987

Link

PJ and Divo had us flying before lockdown last year. They can do it again with the full buy in needed from the men taking the field. The handful of KW groupies need to cop on and give the whole management and panel some scope. We can do damage with these players, it takes a bit of time to build a system of play to fully unlock the potential there but I'm fully backing them to get the tempo up and then we'll be fit for anyone. Can't wait to see the maroon and white really go to work. Believe!!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 350 - 04/04/2021 22:40:09    2335991

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "PJ and Divo had us flying before lockdown last year. They can do it again with the full buy in needed from the men taking the field. The handful of KW groupies need to cop on and give the whole management and panel some scope. We can do damage with these players, it takes a bit of time to build a system of play to fully unlock the potential there but I'm fully backing them to get the tempo up and then we'll be fit for anyone. Can't wait to see the maroon and white really go to work. Believe!!"
II think you'll find the "groupies" were in fact just responding to someone saying that KW never recovered from a 2016 defeat to tipperary . A ridiculous statement like that was always going to get a strong reaction. most of us did not insult current management when responding

think PJ was doing well prior to lockdown but he absolutely dropped the ball afterwards which yes is understandable but other teams came out swinging. Hope he gets everything in order. He said hed get us an all ireland well we'll find out soon enough. I dont think he will but I obviously hope I'm wrong. Even if I disagree with team selections by management I always want every single player to do well where as I think theres a lot of galway supporters with their pitchforks ready to tear down a player if they make a mistake.

Some galway supporters need to take a look at how they speak about panel members. If you want a player in the maroon jersey to have a poor game or screw up to prove that you were right about them you are no fan

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1280 - 05/04/2021 17:57:05    2336042

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "II think you'll find the "groupies" were in fact just responding to someone saying that KW never recovered from a 2016 defeat to tipperary . A ridiculous statement like that was always going to get a strong reaction. most of us did not insult current management when responding

think PJ was doing well prior to lockdown but he absolutely dropped the ball afterwards which yes is understandable but other teams came out swinging. Hope he gets everything in order. He said hed get us an all ireland well we'll find out soon enough. I dont think he will but I obviously hope I'm wrong. Even if I disagree with team selections by management I always want every single player to do well where as I think theres a lot of galway supporters with their pitchforks ready to tear down a player if they make a mistake.

Some galway supporters need to take a look at how they speak about panel members. If you want a player in the maroon jersey to have a poor game or screw up to prove that you were right about them you are no fan"
well said

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1410 - 06/04/2021 20:27:34    2336148

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "II think you'll find the "groupies" were in fact just responding to someone saying that KW never recovered from a 2016 defeat to tipperary . A ridiculous statement like that was always going to get a strong reaction. most of us did not insult current management when responding

Some galway supporters need to take a look at how they speak about panel members. If you want a player in the maroon jersey to have a poor game or screw up to prove that you were right about them you are no fan"
I'm trying hard to see your point Galwayfball, but the facts don't support your opinion.
In the three years after that embarrassing defeat to Tipp in 2016 here is how it fared for Galway under the stewardship of KW in the c'ship which is the competition that measures success, failure and maybe progress.

2017: Absolutely destroyed by Roscommon in Salthill in the CF in a defeat almost as embarrassing as the one to Tipp the year before, We backed up that performance with a no show against Kerry the qualifiers.

2018: Lucky to get past Roscommon in the CF,
got the better of an out of sorts Kerry team the same day as the World Cup final in a peculiar kind of a game, made heavy work of beating a mediocre Kildare team before the wheels came off the wagon against Monaghan again in Salthill before the AI semi came to its inevitable conclusion against a Dublin team that never got out of second gear.

2019: Another horror show in the CF against Roscommon in what I personally think is the worst performance by a Galway football team.....ever(and that's coming from a man who stood in the Canal end in 1983), Galway exited tamely against Mayo in Limerick a few weeks later in what proved to be the end of the KW era.
Results aside there is a feeling that Walsh neither developed a proper style of play nor improved the many players to come in to his ranks during his tenure, so it's hard to say that KW has a legacy worth noting .

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 142 - 07/04/2021 05:57:55    2336163

Link

People are saying he got us into Div1 and won a CF or two. That's the least he could have done with that squad. I think you will find after reading snippets of his book that he doesn't lack in self-confidence. Point is he didn't do a great job with Galway and history will show that.

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 07/04/2021 11:11:59    2336177

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "I'm trying hard to see your point Galwayfball, but the facts don't support your opinion.
In the three years after that embarrassing defeat to Tipp in 2016 here is how it fared for Galway under the stewardship of KW in the c'ship which is the competition that measures success, failure and maybe progress.

2017: Absolutely destroyed by Roscommon in Salthill in the CF in a defeat almost as embarrassing as the one to Tipp the year before, We backed up that performance with a no show against Kerry the qualifiers.

got the better of an out of sorts Kerry team the same day as the World Cup final in a peculiar kind of a game, made heavy work of beating a mediocre Kildare team before the wheels came off the wagon against Monaghan again in Salthill before the AI semi came to its inevitable conclusion against a Dublin team that never got out of second gear.

2019: Another horror show in the CF against Roscommon in what I personally think is the worst performance by a Galway football team.....ever(and that's coming from a man who stood in the Canal end in 1983), Galway exited tamely against Mayo in Limerick a few weeks later in what proved to be the end of the KW era.
Results aside there is a feeling that Walsh neither developed a proper style of play nor improved the many players to come in to his ranks during his tenure, so it's hard to say that KW has a legacy worth noting ."
Sorry are you not the same lad who said we need to look to the future after bringing up the past?....and what do we have here oh yes bringing up the past yet again . Can you decide on the future or the past?

Ahh yes the world cup final completely relevant really affected the kerry team

Div 1 secured and retained. most successful season in 20 years.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1280 - 07/04/2021 11:50:52    2336181

Link

Our recent benchmark in Galway football for what constitutes a 'successful season' is fairly pathetic! Maintaining league div 1 status needs to be deemed fundamental, not 'successful' - it's something we build real success from, a platform. We need to be targeting bloody All Ireland's - dates, targets, a plan to actually deliver. At least PJ and Co have the ambition to actually target this. We have enough resources in this county to do this. Time we started expecting more - players, management, supporters etc.
I recently overheard some Mayo lads chatting (at a safe distance!!), heard one bloke saying that the rebuilt Mayo team now need to fully focus on how to beat Kerry and Dublin and to "forget the s****y teams like Galway and Roscommon". It's one throw away comment but its telling of how they perceive themselves. Well, there's only one answer to that, lads!! :-)

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 350 - 07/04/2021 17:09:17    2336199

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Our recent benchmark in Galway football for what constitutes a 'successful season' is fairly pathetic! Maintaining league div 1 status needs to be deemed fundamental, not 'successful' - it's something we build real success from, a platform. We need to be targeting bloody All Ireland's - dates, targets, a plan to actually deliver. At least PJ and Co have the ambition to actually target this. We have enough resources in this county to do this. Time we started expecting more - players, management, supporters etc.
I recently overheard some Mayo lads chatting (at a safe distance!!), heard one bloke saying that the rebuilt Mayo team now need to fully focus on how to beat Kerry and Dublin and to "forget the s****y teams like Galway and Roscommon". It's one throw away comment but its telling of how they perceive themselves. Well, there's only one answer to that, lads!! :-)"
Agreed on Div 1 being a necessity. Relegation would set us back massively and have a big affect on the mentality of the team too

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1280 - 07/04/2021 18:00:08    2336203

Link

Onwards and upwards lads. Lets move on from the past.

Hopefully we have respected the rules of the lockdown. I would hate to think we didn't. At the same time I hope we were smart, used it wisely within the rules and will come back in good condition.

I think if the Dublin management didn't contact their players once during lockdown the Jonny Coopers of this world would still be contacting the fitness coach, doing their individual programs and driving it on themselves. Are our lads as driven.....I hope so. We will find out soon. (This is not in any way condoning the group sessions outside of the rules. I am totally against that).

Does anyone have any news on our injury's? Presume Comer's hamstring is fine at this stage. Any new concerns for anyone? How is John Daly?

Any new additions to the panel? Is there any panel named or even an extended panel?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1319 - 08/04/2021 08:55:35    2336235

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "I'm trying hard to see your point Galwayfball, but the facts don't support your opinion.

Results aside there is a feeling that Walsh neither developed a proper style of play nor improved the many players to come in to his ranks during his tenure, so it's hard to say that KW has a legacy worth noting ."
You have conveniently omitted the following.
2017. Promotion back to Div 1 and victory in Div 2 final in Croke Park.
Beat Mayo in Salthill to get to the Connacht Final

2018. Beat Mayo and Kerry in Division 1, got to a league final and lost to Dublin.
Beat Mayo once again away in Castlebar
First championship win in Croke Park in years.
First All Ireland Semi in 17 years.
First Championship win over Kerry in 50 years

If you are going to go with facts, give it a bit of balance

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 08/04/2021 11:55:24    2336280

Link

Replying To steakknife:  "People are saying he got us into Div1 and won a CF or two. That's the least he could have done with that squad. I think you will find after reading snippets of his book that he doesn't lack in self-confidence. Point is he didn't do a great job with Galway and history will show that."
"Galway history will show that"

Can you please outline the history of the last 5 Galway managers including PJ rank them on the job they did, if KW wasn't great the rest must have been a disaster.

I'm a fan of PJ by the way, KW and all other managers but some of the stuff on here is blatantly personal or has a club bias. I can't think of any other reason for it.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 08/04/2021 11:59:31    2336282

Link

Replying To johnterry:  ""Galway history will show that"

Can you please outline the history of the last 5 Galway managers including PJ rank them on the job they did, if KW wasn't great the rest must have been a disaster.

I'm a fan of PJ by the way, KW and all other managers but some of the stuff on here is blatantly personal or has a club bias. I can't think of any other reason for it."
The rest were an absolute disaster. That doesn't mean Kevin Walsh was good.

renoir (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 08/04/2021 12:11:41    2336285

Link

Replying To renoir:  "The rest were an absolute disaster. That doesn't mean Kevin Walsh was good."
Grand.

PJ started great but ended the year in disaster getting stuffed in Tuam and then meekly exiting in Salthill.
Kevin Walsh less of a disaster.
Alan Mulholland did well underage but was a complete disaster.
Tomas O'Fathart only got the year but it was a disastrous one.
Joe Kernan, came with a big reputation but ended jn disaster.
Liam Sammon, early promise but Peadar Gardiner last minute winner was a disaster for him.

Let's keep things positive!!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 08/04/2021 14:08:15    2336328

Link

Replying To johnterry:  ""Galway history will show that"

I'm a fan of PJ by the way, KW and all other managers but some of the stuff on here is blatantly personal or has a club bias. I can't think of any other reason for it."
Like I said that is the least he could have done with that squad. The rest were a disaster so I am not sure what you want to know? But the rest were dealing with a much less talented squad.

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 08/04/2021 17:05:48    2336401

Link

Forum name is Galway Football 2021. Move on lads. All valid points but ....

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1319 - 08/04/2021 17:24:18    2336403

Link

Was the Connacht championship draw made at the tail end of last year or was it postponed?

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 284 - 08/04/2021 18:44:28    2336423

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Was the Connacht championship draw made at the tail end of last year or was it postponed?"
Six o clock news next monday on rte

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1280 - 13/04/2021 13:21:46    2337059

Link

Can anyone tell where was Finnerty (Salthill) against Mayo in the CF last year PJ brought on G .Sice Surely Finnerty would have been a better option .I havent heard was he injured or not available or what?

fishpond (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 13/04/2021 15:55:12    2337079

Link