Carlow Forum

Minor Football Final

(Oldest Posts First)

If anyone missed it last night it's on mount Leinster rangers Facebook page and is well worth a watch, one of the best games of football I've ever seen in carlow. With an extraordinary finish and the first game ever to be decided on a penalty shootout in carlow. Some big talking points too. Great display from both teams.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1298 - 15/09/2020 09:11:23    2292156

Link

I watched that final last night. Pulsating stuff. An open game that was end to end . MLR probably left it behind them. 4 pts up with a min or so left. Young Murphy for Rangers was outstanding with 12 pts. 8 from play. He is minor again next year. What a player. Adam Mc Carron was the man for Eire Og. Cool with a few points and nerves of steel with a last min pen. Great performance by all. Unlucky Rangers. They will be back but well done Eire Og.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 220 - 15/09/2020 19:21:18    2292327

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "I watched that final last night. Pulsating stuff. An open game that was end to end . MLR probably left it behind them. 4 pts up with a min or so left. Young Murphy for Rangers was outstanding with 12 pts. 8 from play. He is minor again next year. What a player. Adam Mc Carron was the man for Eire Og. Cool with a few points and nerves of steel with a last min pen. Great performance by all. Unlucky Rangers. They will be back but well done Eire Og."
I watched the game it was a pulsating game, young murphy was unplayable scoring 12pts. Eire og showed great heart and determination but the difference between the 2 teams was eire og had 9 players who scored while Rangers only had 3. If more MLR forwards had scored instead of relying on young murphy. Its a pity that MLR are not representing the county on the minor football squad and are instead concentrating on the hurling county squad under clubman Christy Kealy. I know its very hard to do both but with a bit of give and take it could happen.

jigger (None) - Posts: 70 - 16/09/2020 14:57:52    2292495

Link

Replying To jigger:  "I watched the game it was a pulsating game, young murphy was unplayable scoring 12pts. Eire og showed great heart and determination but the difference between the 2 teams was eire og had 9 players who scored while Rangers only had 3. If more MLR forwards had scored instead of relying on young murphy. Its a pity that MLR are not representing the county on the minor football squad and are instead concentrating on the hurling county squad under clubman Christy Kealy. I know its very hard to do both but with a bit of give and take it could happen."
Was an unbelievable game and a pity it had to end the way it did but c'est la vie. Lots of great displays on both teams. Probably hard in these modern times to do both minor panels as both are probably out 3 times a week so it's a big ask on young lads and parents etc who drive them to do one let alone two.

Oldyellar (Carlow) - Posts: 23 - 16/09/2020 20:40:14    2292567

Link

Fantastic game and huge credit to both sides must be given. A replay should have been the option for deciding the result and I hope that penalties will not be used again after this year, it does nothing for our game . Eire Og and MLR have both being unbeaten this year so its a tough one for MLR to take. The deciding factor was very controversial as it definitely was not a penalty that EO were awarded in the dying seconds. Such a big call that was the wrong call as there was no foot block and has cost MLR the county title.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 260 - 17/09/2020 13:52:06    2292688

Link

Replying To Dualclub1:  "Fantastic game and huge credit to both sides must be given. A replay should have been the option for deciding the result and I hope that penalties will not be used again after this year, it does nothing for our game . Eire Og and MLR have both being unbeaten this year so its a tough one for MLR to take. The deciding factor was very controversial as it definitely was not a penalty that EO were awarded in the dying seconds. Such a big call that was the wrong call as there was no foot block and has cost MLR the county title."
To be honest in real time it didnt look like a penalty, but i watched the video a couple of times and you can clearly see the defender with the foot block. Its a terrible pity that it went to penalties i presume the only reason the County minor setup probably want to get players back training for the laois game. It was a fantastic game.

jigger (None) - Posts: 70 - 18/09/2020 14:04:50    2292912

Link

Replying To jigger:  "To be honest in real time it didnt look like a penalty, but i watched the video a couple of times and you can clearly see the defender with the foot block. Its a terrible pity that it went to penalties i presume the only reason the County minor setup probably want to get players back training for the laois game. It was a fantastic game."
Watched it several times back, the mlr player was a fair bit away from the kicker, he just jumped up, the ball hit him on the hip and there was no charge down with the foot so no dangerous play so no foul.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 260 - 18/09/2020 14:32:48    2292917

Link