Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Well Rock2121... Do you really think we'll ahead of Kerry at the moment? That would make us the second best team in Ireland. And how far behind the Dubs do you think we are?"
"well ahead ". No. On any given day, top teams can beat each other. But look back at the Kerry game. They hit wonderful points and were without Moran however we should have won that game I feel. Both teams created goal chances they did not take. We were missing mc Gee, Mc Grath , Eoghan Ban, Mc Brearty was nowhere near fitness.

Both teams are "coming " teams but lads like Langan,Niall, Jason Mc Gee, Mc Menamin, Gallan etc will improve each year. We will get better each year in my eyes till Murphy hits a wall. Hopefully that won't be for a while yet.

To beat the Dubs I still think you need lads like Carrol, S. Mc Brearty, Gillespie, coming from the bench. We can dream of Odhran returning.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 22/05/2020 19:49:40    2279008

Link

My first comment on this regarding the Virus in 5 or 6 weeks and we are still no further forward from the GAA.

Actually further back if anything as silly nonsensical studies emerge that all but suggest GAA is actually NOT much of a contact sport giving false hope of a resumption of action.

There cannot be a situation where pubs and restaurants and all manner of businesses are chained up in rules and regulations around social distancing, but 30 men (or women) be it club or county level, are allowed to go at it every weekend for our sporting pleasure as if the GAA is immune to the virus.

It doesnt make any sense to even dip the toe in the water of this.

The GAA need to come out and at least present a number of possibilities, even if the forerunner remains the complete cancellation of the 2020 season

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 05/06/2020 11:01:15    2279924

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "My first comment on this regarding the Virus in 5 or 6 weeks and we are still no further forward from the GAA.

Actually further back if anything as silly nonsensical studies emerge that all but suggest GAA is actually NOT much of a contact sport giving false hope of a resumption of action.

There cannot be a situation where pubs and restaurants and all manner of businesses are chained up in rules and regulations around social distancing, but 30 men (or women) be it club or county level, are allowed to go at it every weekend for our sporting pleasure as if the GAA is immune to the virus.

It doesnt make any sense to even dip the toe in the water of this.

The GAA need to come out and at least present a number of possibilities, even if the forerunner remains the complete cancellation of the 2020 season"
When does club action start end of June ,I hope the GAA upgrade insurance ,no Vaccine. Contact Sport,County action coming Sept ,Flu season, maybe another bout of Covid19 ,who knows ,anyway the best of luck .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 06/06/2020 16:59:17    2280020

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "When does club action start end of June ,I hope the GAA upgrade insurance ,no Vaccine. Contact Sport,County action coming Sept ,Flu season, maybe another bout of Covid19 ,who knows ,anyway the best of luck ."
The news that broke at the end of last week struck me as alot of spin in order to keep pace with other professional sports returning and to give the impression of not being stuck in the mud.

Questions outstanding- If Pubs/Restaurants have to implement social distancing by law,shops have their numbers restricted etc and everyone is getting used to this as the new norm in every day life, how on earth can 30 men go at it 2 or 3 times a week completely opposed to this?

- County teams challenging for the all Ireland cost about a million quid a year to run. In an Inter-county context, how is a championship financially viable without crowds in the stadium? McCool Park does not even have warm running water in the toilets, most other county grounds will be the same. A closed door All Ireland Championship is not financially viable, so whats the plan???

As above is it social distancing in pubs,restaurants, transport etc but then a free for all at the weekend as we all pile into McCool Park or Clones???

Loads of questions still to answer before a ball is thrown up in the middle of the park.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 08/06/2020 10:17:05    2280100

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "The news that broke at the end of last week struck me as alot of spin in order to keep pace with other professional sports returning and to give the impression of not being stuck in the mud.

Questions outstanding- If Pubs/Restaurants have to implement social distancing by law,shops have their numbers restricted etc and everyone is getting used to this as the new norm in every day life, how on earth can 30 men go at it 2 or 3 times a week completely opposed to this?

- County teams challenging for the all Ireland cost about a million quid a year to run. In an Inter-county context, how is a championship financially viable without crowds in the stadium? McCool Park does not even have warm running water in the toilets, most other county grounds will be the same. A closed door All Ireland Championship is not financially viable, so whats the plan???

As above is it social distancing in pubs,restaurants, transport etc but then a free for all at the weekend as we all pile into McCool Park or Clones???

Loads of questions still to answer before a ball is thrown up in the middle of the park."
Thanks Manus that really cheered me up.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 08/06/2020 12:08:55    2280105

Link

Looks like they'll be football after all. Enough of the doom and gloom all people want is a bit of hope. Whether it'll happen nobody knows even that Holohan buck probably couldn't gave you a definite answer. It's day by day so hopefully we'll keep in the clear and get back to a normal routine. Gaa being a big part of that

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 08/06/2020 14:52:04    2280113

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Looks like they'll be football after all. Enough of the doom and gloom all people want is a bit of hope. Whether it'll happen nobody knows even that Holohan buck probably couldn't gave you a definite answer. It's day by day so hopefully we'll keep in the clear and get back to a normal routine. Gaa being a big part of that"
Talking rubbish have u found a Vaccine.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 08/06/2020 17:25:59    2280121

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Looks like they'll be football after all. Enough of the doom and gloom all people want is a bit of hope. Whether it'll happen nobody knows even that Holohan buck probably couldn't gave you a definite answer. It's day by day so hopefully we'll keep in the clear and get back to a normal routine. Gaa being a big part of that"
I think you're spot on we can only hope.
There has been a roadmap put it place by the GAA so i can't see why there won't be football this year.
I just wonder will they have club games behind closed door i know this will be difficult to control.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 09/06/2020 09:47:03    2280153

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "I think you're spot on we can only hope.
There has been a roadmap put it place by the GAA so i can't see why there won't be football this year.
I just wonder will they have club games behind closed door i know this will be difficult to control."
A roadmap is not going to cure any player if they get infected ,not until a Vaccine is available to the GAA,and no insurance company will insure anybody without one ,Common Sense ,and I personally don't want any Naomh Conaill player falling to this horrible pandemic so as some supporters can enjoy themselves.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 09/06/2020 13:51:23    2280177

Link

there is no real reason for not playing Gaelic Football, fit strong men wont be effected, a few hundred fans spread all round a big field in very little danger of catching anything, you could be hit by lightening or get a heart attach etc. always some danger out there but life has to go on. Players who dont want to play or train can stay at home, same for spectators if they think its not safe, but only guarantee in life is that it will end sometime.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 09/06/2020 17:34:41    2280200

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "A roadmap is not going to cure any player if they get infected ,not until a Vaccine is available to the GAA,and no insurance company will insure anybody without one ,Common Sense ,and I personally don't want any Naomh Conaill player falling to this horrible pandemic so as some supporters can enjoy themselves.

."
The players them selves want to get back at it and playing football.
under no circumstances should teams feel like they are going back just to please spectators. If the team want to go back playing and training they should do so because they want to go back themselves. Just listen to McGee on the Gaa hour and you will hear the appetite to get back playing and he even mentioned Cass wanting it back.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 10/06/2020 10:56:07    2280259

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Talking rubbish have u found a Vaccine."
Sorry are you the only person with an opinion. If things improve like they have this last few weeks, football will take place vaccine or not.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 10/06/2020 20:39:39    2280352

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Sorry are you the only person with an opinion. If things improve like they have this last few weeks, football will take place vaccine or not."
Again I say will u be playing ,it's all right putting players in harm,s way ,as long as u keep your distance ,and I'm sorry I don't agree with u,football can wait until it's safe to play ,the GAA will not give back a family a loved one or compensate for that loss ,I love football but respect players lives more .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 11/06/2020 09:29:05    2280389

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Again I say will u be playing ,it's all right putting players in harm,s way ,as long as u keep your distance ,and I'm sorry I don't agree with u,football can wait until it's safe to play ,the GAA will not give back a family a loved one or compensate for that loss ,I love football but respect players lives more ."
The recommendation that gaa is ready to come back has come from consultations with the government and the top people in the health boards. At the moment it's coming back at the end of July vaccine or no vaccine. But as we all know things can change but if situation remains the same we will have football. But I may add if players are not comfortable playing there is absolutely no way that they should play. It all comes down to personal decisions. I heard some doctor saying recently that a gaa pitch is as safe a place than most places it might even have been the Donegal doctor so who are we to argue with people like that.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 11/06/2020 16:07:35    2280439

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "The recommendation that gaa is ready to come back has come from consultations with the government and the top people in the health boards. At the moment it's coming back at the end of July vaccine or no vaccine. But as we all know things can change but if situation remains the same we will have football. But I may add if players are not comfortable playing there is absolutely no way that they should play. It all comes down to personal decisions. I heard some doctor saying recently that a gaa pitch is as safe a place than most places it might even have been the Donegal doctor so who are we to argue with people like that."
The Donegal Dr is not an infectious disease Dr .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 11/06/2020 20:57:49    2280458

Link

Does anyone know what the latest is with regard to county football?
Are they planning on playing the remaining league games and then into the old traditional knock-out?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 23/06/2020 12:10:09    2281609

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Does anyone know what the latest is with regard to county football?
Are they planning on playing the remaining league games and then into the old traditional knock-out?"
The story going is we play Tyrone in the league in mid October . Championship is supposed to be the old style knokout which makes the Tyrone game huge. The gaa is supposed to be coming out with a statement this week so until then nobody really knows for sure

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 23/06/2020 13:48:17    2281621

Link

They have committed to finishing the league but you would think they would need to get going before mid-October if they want to finish the championship before the end of the year. If the 2 rounds of the league are complete on say 17th and 24th Oct, the championship would begin at the start of Nov, you would really only have 6/7 weeks to complete it. That looks like a really tight deadline, probably impossible. It would have to be straight knockout, can't see any other way.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 23/06/2020 16:30:07    2281639

Link

It looks like its going to be straight knockout for the championship with no back door. They are going to retain the provincial championships so the Donegal v Tyrone game is going to be make or break for both sides.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 25/06/2020 10:19:40    2281786

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "It looks like its going to be straight knockout for the championship with no back door. They are going to retain the provincial championships so the Donegal v Tyrone game is going to be make or break for both sides."
What would our starting 15 likely be for Tyrone in the Championship? I know it's very hard to know if there are players injured and how match fit they are. We'll likely be given some clues if/when the remaining two league games are played.

For now though I'd have a guess at the below...

1. Patton

2. McGrath
3. N McGee
4. McMenamin

5. Ban Gallagher
6. O'Baoíll/Ward/Doherty
7. R McHugh

8. McFadden
9. J McGee

10. Langan
11. O'Donnell
12. Thompson