Longford Forum

Longford 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

Since the Championship is all wrapped up we turn our intentions to the season ahead? What are our chance is div 3 which looks strong this year and the possible tier 2

Longfordman9 (Longford) - Posts: 2 - 02/11/2019 20:34:34    2247289

Link

3 games down, unbeaten with 5 points on the board. What are Longford fans thinking of now? Promotion or consolidating? I think a positive result in Newry and ye have one of the spots sewn up. After that ye have Tipp at home which ye should win, Derry away who should be out of the promotion hunt by then and who ye also have a very good record over. Then finish with Cork at home which suits ye perfectly. Cork should have promotion sealed by them and if ye do need any points in that game Cork will probably be resting lads for the league final the following week.

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 776 - 10/02/2020 23:31:13    2266953

Link

I'd think a win in Down (which i'd have us a slight second favorite for) and yeah, we can get another 2-3 points along the way that would get us into the top 2. Before that game i'd say we're about 3-1 to make it.

DufusDee (Longford) - Posts: 1 - 19/02/2020 16:41:13    2268471

Link

A win in Down was unlikely to be honest. Looking at a possible 1 win from the remaining 3 games (maybe), so finishing mid table. Personally I can't see us winning any of the three remaining games. Still not Division 2 standard yet. Just don't have the depth in the squad. PD has done a good job, but we can't expect him to be a miracle maker.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 24/02/2020 13:50:04    2269727

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "A win in Down was unlikely to be honest. Looking at a possible 1 win from the remaining 3 games (maybe), so finishing mid table. Personally I can't see us winning any of the three remaining games. Still not Division 2 standard yet. Just don't have the depth in the squad. PD has done a good job, but we can't expect him to be a miracle maker."
Agree with that. PD credit where it's due has done a fine job with the players that presented for county duty. Great credit also goes to those players, as they have performed very well in the div thus far.

From the team that beat meath in the leinster championship in 18, there are 10 members gone off the panel. Only 2 of those are retirements. It's a real.pity, as these players along with the current crop now, would definitely be I think ok in div 2.

Ifs, buts, could've and maybe's, unfortunately.

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 145 - 05/03/2020 17:25:52    2272384

Link

Hard to see the Derry game going ahead with the North about to go into new restrictions? It would be seriously irresponsible for GAA to let that game happen (moving it to rural Derry or any of their neighbouring counties doesn't exactly reduce risk either). The GAA year is done for this year, that shoe has not dropped yet, but it will.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 14/10/2020 10:39:30    2297464

Link

Replying To Oddball:  "3 games down, unbeaten with 5 points on the board. What are Longford fans thinking of now? Promotion or consolidating? I think a positive result in Newry and ye have one of the spots sewn up. After that ye have Tipp at home which ye should win, Derry away who should be out of the promotion hunt by then and who ye also have a very good record over. Then finish with Cork at home which suits ye perfectly. Cork should have promotion sealed by them and if ye do need any points in that game Cork will probably be resting lads for the league final the following week."
7 points on the board and 2 games to go. Longford beat Tipperary already.

Ward30 (Longford) - Posts: 2 - 14/10/2020 20:22:10    2297645

Link

With the decision to refuse Longfords request to change the Derry game to a different location outside Derry, what happens next. If Longford don't want to play in Derry, surely they just refuse to fulfil the fixture now. Someone with balls in the GAA needs to step up soon and make the right call in the interest of the whole country. I would miss it like hell, but there is only one decision, I miss my family more.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 15/10/2020 22:36:03    2297911

Link

Would miss it like hell too, but having games going on right now is madness. GAA should have pulled the League and Championship games for the foreseeable. 6-week national lockdown is coming anyway, so that will dictate everything, but it is disappointing that the GAA have again shown themselves to be a law unto themselves, and have not covered themselves in glory throughout this pandemic. The recent government decision to remove Club games from exemptions for the foreseeable future must now be the end for club championship action in Longford for 2020. Irrespective of what the GAA wants to do now, they are not allowed to restart Club action. So 2020 will likely be a 'N/A' year.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 16/10/2020 15:31:42    2298102

Link

I disagree that the club championships is finished. Obviously we hope Longford will continue late into the year but it's unlikely and there will be likely 5 or 6 weeks to play 2 rounds in snr championship and 1 intermediate. Hopefully the pandemic numbers stabilise as they seem to have in Longford over the last week.

jack99 (Dublin) - Posts: 16 - 16/10/2020 21:23:44    2298205

Link

Surprised that game went ahead. thats promotion gone but it's probably for the best. Very poor

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 23 - 17/10/2020 18:41:46    2298463

Link

Replying To jack99:  "I disagree that the club championships is finished. Obviously we hope Longford will continue late into the year but it's unlikely and there will be likely 5 or 6 weeks to play 2 rounds in snr championship and 1 intermediate. Hopefully the pandemic numbers stabilise as they seem to have in Longford over the last week."
The decision to restart any club activity is no longer in the GAA's hands. The government changed that last week by removing the exemption that would allow club championships to proceed. So even if Longfords year ends against Louth on 1st November or against Laois on 8th November or against Dublin on 15th November, the county board is not permitted to restart club activity until government (not the GAA) reinstates that club exemption, which they are very unlikely to do in the current climate. Given that things are now moving to Level 4 and may get to Level 5 at some point between now and Christmas, it is almost certain that club activity will not restart this year. I wouldn't bet on Jan-Mar being much better, and I wouldn't hold my breath on when government will reinstate that club exemption (It is politically far more risk than it is worth for them and they have some hammerings coming their way over coming months). So the ingredients for anything to restart on club scene this side of Easter is nil in my opinion.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 19/10/2020 10:26:03    2299051

Link

what do u all think of the cork decision? I cant belive our county board and management have done this when there was a chance of promotion and when this affects other teams aswel. poor form

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 23 - 20/10/2020 14:29:03    2299620

Link

Cork decision is pretty pathetic. Manager seems to think the game had no purpose... How did he conclude that unless he concluded that Longford would not win it? Probably a big fine coming from HQ. Davis was happy to accept that his captain wanted to call it a day this year due to changes in his home circumstances, but not happy to accept that people may have problems with the league going ahead. Not impressed with his comments on all of this.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 21/10/2020 09:39:16    2299814

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Cork decision is pretty pathetic. Manager seems to think the game had no purpose... How did he conclude that unless he concluded that Longford would not win it? Probably a big fine coming from HQ. Davis was happy to accept that his captain wanted to call it a day this year due to changes in his home circumstances, but not happy to accept that people may have problems with the league going ahead. Not impressed with his comments on all of this."
No fine coming. I read a report this morning that said neither Longford or Leitrim would be punished for conceding games.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 499 - 21/10/2020 14:37:43    2299949

Link

If it was due to Covid worries fair enough. If not it's very unfair on Derry for us to concede just because for us it's a dead rubber. You have to question if there is any point in the championship as surely it indicates the squad of players are happy to go along with this. Let's face it we a not going to win Leinster so you could consider it to be a dead rubber too!

catchturnscore (Longford) - Posts: 114 - 21/10/2020 18:54:18    2300056

Link

Replying To catchturnscore:  "If it was due to Covid worries fair enough. If not it's very unfair on Derry for us to concede just because for us it's a dead rubber. You have to question if there is any point in the championship as surely it indicates the squad of players are happy to go along with this. Let's face it we a not going to win Leinster so you could consider it to be a dead rubber too!"
i cant accept that its covid related if that was the case the team would be pulling out of everything. the games are either safe or they arent, you cant be cherry picking. the league is our championship so pulling out when there is a chance even a small one i think sends a terrible message. honestly feel like there is a fear of a heavy defeat the week before championship so covid is used as a nice excuse. so very disappointed at this what better way to challenge the team ahead of championship then against a big tema like cork!!

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 23 - 21/10/2020 22:56:33    2300102

Link

The game was a dead rubber. Even if Derry win at the weekend and Down lose, Down have the head to head on them. And if those two results happened and we had to beat Cork I think score difference goes out the window as a result of the walkover Down received from Leitrim. So our result doesn't matter!! Right decision to call it off.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 890 - 22/10/2020 10:33:23    2300154

Link

If Longford won by any score, Derry won by any score and Down lost by any score, all 3 end up level on 9pts. Then it comes down to score difference. Because of Down getting walkover over Leitrim, only the score difference of the matches between the 3 teams count. Derry have advantage here, so they would go up. Take Longford out by conceding to Cork, and Down are up automatically because of their win over Derry. So Longford could never go up, but they did stop Derry from having a chance. That won't go down well in Derry. I also don't think Davis was concerned about the covid risks, given his direct quotes. More a case of 'this suits us best, to hell with the rest'. Hard to know what to make of it. Doesn't leave a good taste either way.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 22/10/2020 14:10:42    2300226

Link

If Davis was concerned about Covid risk, why is the game against Louth going ahead? What is the difference in risk between playing Cork versus playing Louth? Also can anyone explain the difference between virus spread at Senior intercounty games versus U20 or Minor intercounty games? All involve untested players interacting in extreme close contact with other untested players. Why are some competitions discontinued but others not?

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 161 - 22/10/2020 17:41:58    2300308

Link