Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How are ye lads,
Firstly I sincerely hope you are all safe and well.
I'd say if you are like me you are fed up at this stage but please god there is light at the end of this horrible tunnel.
Very few defeats sickened as bad as that Cork result. Mainly because Kerry would beat that Cork team 99/100.
It ofcourse means that the honeymoon is well over for PK.
Regarding the team I'm not concerned with however the approach is what matters.
We should never ever approach a game like that Cork game again.
On players themselves the one guy that has to start after his club form is Tony Brosnan.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1250 - 14/04/2021 20:41:21    2337226

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Wrong a lot? Mick you do more back tracking than a JCB :-)

Only joking kid, sure we all have our moments, sure didn't I think the centenary final was played in Thurles :-0"
And was advocating Maher for centre back.... you'll never out do that in my eyes... :-)

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 14/04/2021 20:45:34    2337227

Link

Lads on the C'ship draw... am I right in saying that both Cork and Tipperary are seeded on the Munster semi ad they got to last year's final so we will have an extra game in quarters vs Clare, Tipp, Waterford or Limerick... if my thinking or reading of it is right, it's actually ideal as we won't be going in cold.. am I correct?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 14/04/2021 20:49:11    2337228

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Good team Horse.

I also agree with your point that, from the off next month, we (and everyone else) will need to have a settled side. There is little to no time for experimentation or for having the eye on what's coming up on the road ahead this year.

If my advice was worth anything to the men on the sideline it would be thus: place your trust in the skill and ability of our forwards. Do your best to make sure we are as solid as we can be at the back and through the spine, but always remember the only guarantee of victory is to get more flags raised then the men opposite you."
PK's and Kerry's new motto should be

STRiKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 14/04/2021 20:56:43    2337229

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Wrong a lot? Mick you do more back tracking than a JCB :-)

Only joking kid, sure we all have our moments, sure didn't I think the centenary final was played in Thurles :-0"
Well you were close enough lol. The hurling final was.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 14/04/2021 21:16:17    2337231

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "And was advocating Maher for centre back.... you'll never out do that in my eyes... :-)"
Hi I wasn't proved wrong on that horse, who knows if fitzy had taken my suggestion he might be still in a job Maher might not have had to retire early and could be still playing, dublin might not have won the 3/4/5/6 in a row and we might have had 5 in a row ourselves :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 14/04/2021 22:12:14    2337235

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Well you were close enough lol. The hurling final was."
Half right so :-) serious question for you why didn't they play the football in Thurles in 84?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 14/04/2021 22:13:44    2337236

Link

Replying To westkerry:  "How are ye lads,
Firstly I sincerely hope you are all safe and well.
I'd say if you are like me you are fed up at this stage but please god there is light at the end of this horrible tunnel.
Very few defeats sickened as bad as that Cork result. Mainly because Kerry would beat that Cork team 99/100.
It ofcourse means that the honeymoon is well over for PK.
Regarding the team I'm not concerned with however the approach is what matters.
We should never ever approach a game like that Cork game again.
On players themselves the one guy that has to start after his club form is Tony Brosnan."
Good to hear from you westkerry, hope all is well back at the mothership.

I think Brosnan, Spillane, Moynihan and Paul are fighting it out for two places in the inside line although Moynihan may be better utilised off the bench or on the wing.

Clifford is nailed, if fit Paul for me has to start, I'm actually amazed how people dismiss him he is such a class class player and one who was outstanding in 2019. Killian sparked better in 2020 and I think he is a better grafter off the ball as he has to at club level as opposed to Brosnan who may be more privileged with the class of players at club level working for him.

Is there a case for playing both with DC inside.

I've often wondered if an inter County team lined up 1-15 as in the old days with no sweeper teams would be forced to go man to man or sacrifice an additional forward... it would tip the scoring ratio in ones favour. Its maybe barbaric or old fashioned but maybe also so simplistic it maybe confusing to counter act.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 14/04/2021 22:33:43    2337241

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Half right so :-) serious question for you why didn't they play the football in Thurles in 84?"
Kerry vs Dublin in Croker at full house is more lucrative than Kerry vs Dublin at a full house in Semple .... that's guess.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 14/04/2021 22:40:12    2337243

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Half right so :-) serious question for you why didn't they play the football in Thurles in 84?"
I don't know. I would guess because of the crowd. While both all Irelands always sell the football tickets are in more demand so maybe the gaa thought it would be too much hassle having the football in Thurles but I'm only guessing.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 14/04/2021 22:40:30    2337244

Link

1. Ryan
2. Sherwood/PCrowley/Foley
3. Morley/Sherwood
4. T O'Sullivan
5. Murphy
6. GCrowley/Morley
7. White/GCrowley
8. Moran/JO'Connor
9. Barry
10. ASpillane
11. O'Shea
12. O'Brien
13. KSpillane/Brosnan
14. Clifford
15. Geaney

What I'm thinking at the moment. A few selections to be made. I found it tough to pick a team without seeing anyone this year. If playing well any one of Diarmuid O'Connor, Dara Moynihan, Paudie Clifford, Beaglaoich or Ronan Buckley could come into the conversation for the starting 15. We've great depth, as I said earlier those internal games would be very very interesting.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 14/04/2021 23:19:40    2337248

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "PK's and Kerry's new motto should be

STRiKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY."
Speaking of Peter Keane, is the last year of his contract? I mean, was it 3 years that he was given? Time is flying it. It seems that he only took over yesterday.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 15/04/2021 00:10:59    2337249

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Speaking of Peter Keane, is the last year of his contract? I mean, was it 3 years that he was given? Time is flying it. It seems that he only took over yesterday."
Yes Forever. Keane s tenure is up when Kerry s championship ends.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 15/04/2021 09:13:26    2337256

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "1. Ryan
3. Morley/Sherwood
4. T O'Sullivan
5. Murphy
6. GCrowley/Morley
7. White/GCrowley
8. Moran/JO'Connor
9. Barry
10. ASpillane
11. O'Shea
12. O'Brien
13. KSpillane/Brosnan
14. Clifford
15. Geaney

What I'm thinking at the moment. A few selections to be made. I found it tough to pick a team without seeing anyone this year. If playing well any one of Diarmuid O'Connor, Dara Moynihan, Paudie Clifford, Beaglaoich or Ronan Buckley could come into the conversation for the starting 15. We've great depth, as I said earlier those internal games would be very very interesting."
Yes I'm thinking along the same line but for me Foley has to up to ante this year. David Moran could be picked at 14 and used as a 3rd midfielder with a bit of time in full forward to break up his hat running. Graham Ó Sullivan and Ó Beaglaoi in the running too for me.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 15/04/2021 10:07:03    2337258

Link

3. Morley/Sherwood
4. T O'Sullivan
5. Murphy
6. GCrowley/Morley
7. White/GCrowley
8. Moran/JO'Connor
9. Barry
10. ASpillane
11. O'Shea
12. O'Brien
13. KSpillane/Brosnan
14. Clifford
15. Geaney

What I'm thinking at the moment. A few selections to be made. I found it tough to pick a team without seeing anyone this year. If playing well any one of Diarmuid O'Connor, Dara Moynihan, Paudie Clifford, Beaglaoich or Ronan Buckley could come into the conversation for the starting 15. We've great depth, as I said earlier those internal games would be very very interesting."
There's no word out of any of ye about Tommy Walsh! Is he gone beyond it at this stage, or still in the picture? I suppose the way Covid has things, no one actually knows the full picture.

And another thing, they never bothered it seems to call up Jack Maguire at all? And the brother-in-law in Dublin telling me that he stands head and shoulders above most on the Dublin club scene every day he goes out, even above some of their defenders with wheelbarrows of AI medals (a-live, a-live Oh)!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 15/04/2021 10:30:55    2337267

Link

3. Morley/Sherwood
4. T O'Sullivan
5. Murphy
6. GCrowley/Morley
7. White/GCrowley
8. Moran/JO'Connor
9. Barry
10. ASpillane
11. O'Shea
12. O'Brien
13. KSpillane/Brosnan
14. Clifford
15. Geaney

I think you have nailed it there Kerry15, your summary is almost like a depth chart, several open spots in the backs and there is definitely a question mark in relation to midfield too. I think O'Beaglaoich is definitely in the conversation as a starter, Keane seems to like him and I have always thought he was underrated.

There is a good deep panel there but it's a little light on star quality if you compare it to Kerry teams of the past so it's about trying to get the best from what you have and moulding them in to something more than the sum of their parts. With all the disruption and lack of training time I've no idea what to expect when they take the field again but it'll be wonderful to have some football to watch.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2056 - 15/04/2021 10:40:05    2337270

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "There's no word out of any of ye about Tommy Walsh! Is he gone beyond it at this stage, or still in the picture? I suppose the way Covid has things, no one actually knows the full picture.

And another thing, they never bothered it seems to call up Jack Maguire at all? And the brother-in-law in Dublin telling me that he stands head and shoulders above most on the Dublin club scene every day he goes out, even above some of their defenders with wheelbarrows of AI medals (a-live, a-live Oh)!"
I'd say Tommy still has a role to play but a Partime role depending on the opposition. Yes Jack Maguire was one of the best full backs in club football in Dublin over the last few years by all accounts. I saw him play once with St Judes and was very impressed

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 15/04/2021 11:33:13    2337279

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I'd say Tommy still has a role to play but a Partime role depending on the opposition. Yes Jack Maguire was one of the best full backs in club football in Dublin over the last few years by all accounts. I saw him play once with St Judes and was very impressed"
I suppose Jack wouldn't be able to leave dublin for Kerry training under current Covid restrictions, I suppose these restriction will have an even greater effect on teams like Mayo.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 15/04/2021 11:44:16    2337281

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I think you have nailed it there Kerry15, your summary is almost like a depth chart, several open spots in the backs and there is definitely a question mark in relation to midfield too. I think O'Beaglaoich is definitely in the conversation as a starter, Keane seems to like him and I have always thought he was underrated.

There is a good deep panel there but it's a little light on star quality if you compare it to Kerry teams of the past so it's about trying to get the best from what you have and moulding them in to something more than the sum of their parts. With all the disruption and lack of training time I've no idea what to expect when they take the field again but it'll be wonderful to have some football to watch."
On the star quality point Gerry, I think that it's more of a case of a lot of players coming through onto the team have not been given the chance yet to show they have that kind of talent given their youth, the impact of the Covid breaks etc.

I believe there are several players in this panel who in the next 3-4 years of development will evolve into real quality. Gavin White should be a prime example of this in my opinion.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 15/04/2021 12:51:02    2337289

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I think you have nailed it there Kerry15, your summary is almost like a depth chart, several open spots in the backs and there is definitely a question mark in relation to midfield too. I think O'Beaglaoich is definitely in the conversation as a starter, Keane seems to like him and I have always thought he was underrated.

There is a good deep panel there but it's a little light on star quality if you compare it to Kerry teams of the past so it's about trying to get the best from what you have and moulding them in to something more than the sum of their parts. With all the disruption and lack of training time I've no idea what to expect when they take the field again but it'll be wonderful to have some football to watch."
Remember if you cast your mind back to 2003/04 was Galvin the player he would become, was Declan, was Marc or Donaghy??

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 15/04/2021 12:52:09    2337290

Link