Wicklow Forum

SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Freethinker:  "Congrats to Pats on a great performance yesterday. Another shot in the arm for our beleaguered and often critisised football standards. An absolutely shitty way to exit a Gaelic Football Competition it has to be said. That peno stuff has absolutely no part to play in our games, in my opinion. Like Casey said, no team would have a problem going to play an away game, even midweek under lights but to go out to something imported from soccer is disgusting to my mind. Let's hope that a motion is brought before the county convention deploring this looney rule and that it gets taken up by other counties and gets onto the agenda for Congress in 2020. It needs to be abolished ASAP full stop. Even a best out of 10 45s which is a skill in itself, would have more relevance to our games than that penalty shootout"
It's completely hypocritical to complain about importing penalties from soccer. We have had penalties for fouls inside the rectangle as long as I've been watching football. If you want rid of penalty shootouts for being an import what do we do when you're fouled in on goal during the game?

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 444 - 11/11/2019 17:02:09    2249115

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "It's completely hypocritical to complain about importing penalties from soccer. We have had penalties for fouls inside the rectangle as long as I've been watching football. If you want rid of penalty shootouts for being an import what do we do when you're fouled in on goal during the game?"
Maybe you could take a pull there Victorious. I am well aware that we have penalties in Gaelic Football. What I am trying to address is the recently introduced practice of deciding games by penalty shootout. I thought that would be plain from my post. Perhaps you should take a little time to read posts before shooting off like you have. If you don't agree with me, ask Casey O'Brien or any of the Pats lads for their opinion. In fairness, the Port manager is no fan either.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 261 - 11/11/2019 17:52:18    2249121

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Congrats to Pats on a great performance yesterday. Another shot in the arm for our beleaguered and often critisised football standards. An absolutely shitty way to exit a Gaelic Football Competition it has to be said. That peno stuff has absolutely no part to play in our games, in my opinion. Like Casey said, no team would have a problem going to play an away game, even midweek under lights but to go out to something imported from soccer is disgusting to my mind. Let's hope that a motion is brought before the county convention deploring this looney rule and that it gets taken up by other counties and gets onto the agenda for Congress in 2020. It needs to be abolished ASAP full stop. Even a best out of 10 45s which is a skill in itself, would have more relevance to our games than that penalty shootout"
What did I miss out from your post. I'm not trying to wind up but I don't understand the argument that we shouldn't have penalty shootouts when we have penalties in the game? It's not the best way to go out but is it any fairer than 45s?

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 444 - 12/11/2019 16:20:45    2249282

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "What did I miss out from your post. I'm not trying to wind up but I don't understand the argument that we shouldn't have penalty shootouts when we have penalties in the game? It's not the best way to go out but is it any fairer than 45s?"
Ok, I can see your point. What I was trying to encourage was to do away with these shootouts altogether and get back to replays. Very few games have to go to penalty's anyway so why not retain the replay. The vast majority of replays produce a winner. Does anybody want to see an All Ireland final decided by penalty's ?? As regards the taking of 45s instead of penalty's, in my opinion there is more skill to scoring 45s than scoring a penalty. But that's just my opinion.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 261 - 12/11/2019 18:31:48    2249307

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Ok, I can see your point. What I was trying to encourage was to do away with these shootouts altogether and get back to replays. Very few games have to go to penalty's anyway so why not retain the replay. The vast majority of replays produce a winner. Does anybody want to see an All Ireland final decided by penalty's ?? As regards the taking of 45s instead of penalty's, in my opinion there is more skill to scoring 45s than scoring a penalty. But that's just my opinion."
I understand but 45s isn't really practical. How many lads out of ten would kick a forty five in an under 13/15 match or even in Junior B and C under the pressure. I don't mind penalties, they're a part of the game and although it's not the fairest way to go out both teams have chances to win in 80 minutes.

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 444 - 13/11/2019 16:39:59    2249487

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "I understand but 45s isn't really practical. How many lads out of ten would kick a forty five in an under 13/15 match or even in Junior B and C under the pressure. I don't mind penalties, they're a part of the game and although it's not the fairest way to go out both teams have chances to win in 80 minutes."
If it is the rule then the logical conclusion is that it applies to all Ireland finals as well . I dont think thats going to happen anytime soon with the prospect of losing a few million euro purse with a replay. Double standards as usual between the grassroot club players and the top elite county players. So much for player welfare when you consider the emotional impact of missing a crucial penalty has on a player. A Portlaoise spectator suggested a different ending to such stalemates after extra time. He suggested that after extra time that the first team to score in an additional period be declared the winner in a type of sudden death scenario. What do posters think.? Would it be more fair? I personally would prefer a replay if at all possible.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 62 - 13/11/2019 18:43:41    2249512

Link

It is a brutal way to finish it and I take your point about the impact on the player who misses but imagine being the player who scores the winner?! #HeroStatus!!

From a semi-neutral spectator it was some spectacle as was the AGB v Blessington game.

How about finishing a game the way you do at training. You've to score two scores in a row?

With the new blanket defenses this could go on all night.

thelastgael (Wicklow) - Posts: 322 - 24/11/2019 22:25:42    2251208

Link