Donegal Forum

County Final 2017 - Kilcar v Glenties

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gunman:  "I don't think all of the above were very impressive yesterday.maybe Mark McHugh,Ryan McHugh,Paddy McBrearty for Kilcar and Ciaran and Anthony Thompson for Glenties."
Leo played well I thought without shooting the lights out but nor did anybody really.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 16/10/2017 18:39:37    2055627

Link

A point each in the second half , like something from Div 4 of The Donegal League. Good Help D Bonner if that is all he has to work with in the coming months

culmore (None) - Posts: 1398 - 16/10/2017 20:48:41    2055642

Link

Replying To culmore:  "A point each in the second half , like something from Div 4 of The Donegal League. Good Help D Bonner if that is all he has to work with in the coming months"
The teams involved in the final were the same two teams who got rave reviews for their performances in the semi finals & everyone was saying Bonner had plenty talent to choose from.

Fickle or what?

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 16/10/2017 22:31:28    2055654

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "The teams involved in the final were the same two teams who got rave reviews for their performances in the semi finals & everyone was saying Bonner had plenty talent to choose from.

Fickle or what?"
Kilcar have being one of the most entertaining teams in the country especially over the last 2 years. I have really enjoyed watching them play. People need to realize that yesterday was about one thing so mission accomplished.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 17/10/2017 00:26:41    2055662

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "The teams involved in the final were the same two teams who got rave reviews for their performances in the semi finals & everyone was saying Bonner had plenty talent to choose from.

Fickle or what?"
There probably an overreaction to the match alright, myself included. It is because they are two excellent sides with great players that I was disappointed. My worry for Declan Bonner is not the quality of the players but the way that they are being asked to play, Donegal have been playing this way for 3 years now and he will find it difficult to change the style.

I hope you enjoyed the celebrations and best of luck in the Ulster championship. Kilcar can most definitely step it up a gear and could do well in Ulster.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 17/10/2017 07:51:40    2055671

Link

Yeah it wasn't a game where individuals could shine. Both teams set out very cautiously and to make as little mistakes as possible. Ciaran Thompson landed a beauty in the first half and had a few other pot shots. Same with Brick. The difference between the sides was that Kilcar landed more of theirs!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 17/10/2017 09:02:16    2055679

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah the defensive game has had its day. You see the way Dublin utterly annihilated probably the best exponents of the defensive game Tyrone in the AI semi final. Now I realise that Dublin are exceptional but better teams have sussed the blanket game now. Time for some new thinking.

We have good footballers in the county. I think we can learn to adapt to a more offensive game plan. Up to the management to facilitate it. Interesting times ahead."
The fact that the final was such a poor spectacle had nothing to do with "blanket" defences. Every team in Ireland, Dublin included, utilise the blanket in some form.

The problem on Sunday was that, from the off, Glenties made no attempt of any description to attack & they kept it up right until the end. Kilcar had a bit more about them in the first half but they too went down the lateral & backward passing route in the second half which left us with the awful spectacle of each team scoring one point each. The little ambition that was on display came from Kilcar in the opening 30 mins & that was enough to win them the game but it made for poor entertainment.

As a style it won't win anything at county level & I don't expect to see Declan employ it. If you want to win games you have to attack nowadays as well as having a sound defence. It is not a case of either or you must have both.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 17/10/2017 09:41:33    2055683

Link

Fickle or what?"
Hows it fickle the biggest day in club football almost decended into a farce from both teams and that's a fact.
No attempt by either team to even play any level of decent football.

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 114 - 17/10/2017 10:07:02    2055687

Link

Replying To ifindoubt:  "hope you are right just backed them,with Kilcar,Castlebar,ballintubber,clonmel commericals and Expert eye in Newmarket tomorrow"
Expert eye was some flop unlucky.

donegal1992 (Donegal) - Posts: 226 - 17/10/2017 13:36:07    2055746

Link

Replying To ifindoubt:  "Hows it fickle the biggest day in club football almost decended into a farce from both teams and that's a fact.
No attempt by either team to even play any level of decent football."
Talk about completely missing the point of a post.

Working on the assumption that you don't know the meaning of the word fickle, I will try to explain.

The post I replied to made the point that going by the final Declan Bonner would be in trouble because of the style of play on show.

Declan Bonner will not be in the slightest bit put out by the final as he will have seen both sides in the QF's & SF's & being an intelligent man will realise that one game does not define the abilities of the players available to him.

Both Kilcar & Glenties were lauded for their semi final performances & rightly so. The fact that the final eas a poor game has nothing to do with the individual players but with their respective management teams.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 17/10/2017 15:49:19    2055784

Link

Finished off an enjoyable week end in your beautiful county by attending the county final on Sunday,
About 7,000 in attendance on a calm, dry day and I haven't heard a minutes silence so well respected in a long time,
Very enjoyable reserve final with a great come back by Naomh Conaill from being 7 points down into the 2nd half, seems like a good competition for keeping fringe players in action and bringing some players through to future senior teams.
A fine tribute to the victorious Killybegs panel of 1992 , many of whom look fit enough to be still playing.

Thoughts on the senior final from a neutral:
Terrific to see Michael Hegarty , McHughs, McBrearty and others win a well deserved county final medal,
Kilcar's ability to land superb long range points gave them a cushion which they were determined not to lose,
Both teams set up defensively and did not overwork the scoreboard despite running up big scores (especially Kilcar) with impressive wins leading up to the final, the corresponding fixture gave an aggregate score of 6-21 in last year's semi final. With so much at stake a final can do strange things to teams and the opportunity can easily pass them by.
In NC's defence they did well to hold the overwhelming favourites to just 0-7 having conceeded 5-10 in last years fixture. In a game of fine margins they missed 4-5 chances with one off the upright in a ten minute spell when the score was 0-6 - 0-4 as well as losing a key forward in the closing minutes and another in injury time. A slight tweaking of tactics by pushing an extra player forward at times may have rewarded their approach but its not easy to get the balance right. Many felt that NC were not going to outscore Kilcar in a high scoring contest.
I have seldom seen such doom and gloom from press, posters , ex players and an ex manager on the prospects of a county team based solely on the quality of one game. A lack of intensity and a sieve like defence contributed to Donegal's undoing this year v Tyrone and especially against Galway. Declan Bonner will have his own way of setting up and getting his team to play. Very few county teams copy the playing style of a club(s) and the reverse is usually the case especially if successful. He will have been impressed by the fielding, running and kick passing of both Ciarans at midfield and may be tempted to try out a McGinley/Thompson centre field pairing for a few league games.
So overall keep the heads up, get behind your team and prepare for the visit of the Breffni Blues.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 367 - 20/10/2017 14:45:24    2056582

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Finished off an enjoyable week end in your beautiful county by attending the county final on Sunday,
About 7,000 in attendance on a calm, dry day and I haven't heard a minutes silence so well respected in a long time,
Very enjoyable reserve final with a great come back by Naomh Conaill from being 7 points down into the 2nd half, seems like a good competition for keeping fringe players in action and bringing some players through to future senior teams.
A fine tribute to the victorious Killybegs panel of 1992 , many of whom look fit enough to be still playing.

Thoughts on the senior final from a neutral:
Terrific to see Michael Hegarty , McHughs, McBrearty and others win a well deserved county final medal,
Kilcar's ability to land superb long range points gave them a cushion which they were determined not to lose,
Both teams set up defensively and did not overwork the scoreboard despite running up big scores (especially Kilcar) with impressive wins leading up to the final, the corresponding fixture gave an aggregate score of 6-21 in last year's semi final. With so much at stake a final can do strange things to teams and the opportunity can easily pass them by.
In NC's defence they did well to hold the overwhelming favourites to just 0-7 having conceeded 5-10 in last years fixture. In a game of fine margins they missed 4-5 chances with one off the upright in a ten minute spell when the score was 0-6 - 0-4 as well as losing a key forward in the closing minutes and another in injury time. A slight tweaking of tactics by pushing an extra player forward at times may have rewarded their approach but its not easy to get the balance right. Many felt that NC were not going to outscore Kilcar in a high scoring contest.
I have seldom seen such doom and gloom from press, posters , ex players and an ex manager on the prospects of a county team based solely on the quality of one game. A lack of intensity and a sieve like defence contributed to Donegal's undoing this year v Tyrone and especially against Galway. Declan Bonner will have his own way of setting up and getting his team to play. Very few county teams copy the playing style of a club(s) and the reverse is usually the case especially if successful. He will have been impressed by the fielding, running and kick passing of both Ciarans at midfield and may be tempted to try out a McGinley/Thompson centre field pairing for a few league games.
So overall keep the heads up, get behind your team and prepare for the visit of the Breffni Blues."
Excellent post & more sense than Peter Campbell & Manus Boyle combined.

No it wasn't a good game but I am old enough to remember the 1982 final where Four Master beat Kilcar by 1-4 to 0-6. That was also a poor game but it wasn't the end of football or the death of football or anything like it.

Games like the county final come along every now & again, nobody takes into account the fact the the 17 games Kilcar have played in the league have seen an average of 29 points per game with games involving Naomh Conaill coming in at 28 points per game.

As for Declan Bonner being worried, considering the nature of Donegal's calamitous defending in 2017 I think he would have been delighted with the defensive displays from both teams. Many people questioned Kilcar's defence this year but they conceded only 0-7 in the semi final & 0-4 in the final. If Kilcar can turn it round so can Donegal.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 20/10/2017 18:17:42    2056663

Link