Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gusseraneman:  "i would imagine he will start harry kehoe , althought a lad beside me in thurles last week reckons is better off the bench because he looks to nervous when starting games ."
I agree that Harry always looks better coming off the bench. Doran would be a big loss as he is a massive physical presence. If he is injured I would push D O Keefe up the field and bring in Andrew Kenny

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 16/07/2016 15:37:42    1884250

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "I don't agree we are in bonus territory. We should be ambitious enough as a team and setup to think a quarter final, after 5 years under this management team, is not bonus territory.
I must also disagree re Paul Morris as I think he has been poor enough the past 2 days.
Ryan will start as a direct replacement for James Breen and Andrew Kenny will replace Martin, I don't think we will see more changes."
So you'd drop james breen after he marked corks best forward , alan cadogan, completly out of the game last week? Thats one of the craziest suggestions i've ever seen. Had to laugh when I seen him. I hope Ryan is fit to start but if he is, it'll be Eanna Martin who loses out and not james breen who has been superb for us this year. Personally i'd start both Ryan and Andrew Kenny replacing Martin and Morris who has been virtually non existent all year and start as Fanning, Ryan, O Hanlon, Breen,Kenny, Foley, O Connor, Moore, Conroy,Dunne, Chin, Mc Govern, Doran, Mc Donald, O keeffe.

There is a hole variety of tactical options within the team i've just named that i'm just to lazy to type out. I cant see us deviating too much from the way we've been playing with Chin coming deep, conroy sitting , foley going as sweeper and moore playing in half back line but I would be very tempted to really attack a Waterford team low on confidence early here. A couple of early goals and aggressive game plan even for ther first 10 mins would be my choice then we could revart a bit more conservative.

Anyway we are in bonus territory but we have to seize the moment and do eveything possible to grasp this oppertunity to make the all ireland semi final for the first time in a decade. Waterfords collapse via Tipp wll naturally lead to a back lash and I expect them to improve greatly. The last time (2014) we played an all ireland 1/4 final we made a show of ourselves by physically and mentally collapsing via Limerick but were in a healthier position to give a better account of ourselves this time around. All the pressure is on a greatly over hyped but very talented Waterford team that were being tipped as All ireland champions only weeks ago. According to Cyril Farrell in todays independent we are the outsiders here and ' about to step up in class'. With a full hand i'd fancy us to competite with any team in the country but even allowing for that our confidence should be sky high now to throw the kitchen sink at Waterford.

Get our match ups right here and hurl without fear could well lead to us upsetting the apple cart here...

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 16/07/2016 15:57:10    1884257

Link

Replying To cragask:  "So you'd drop james breen after he marked corks best forward , alan cadogan, completly out of the game last week? Thats one of the craziest suggestions i've ever seen. Had to laugh when I seen him. I hope Ryan is fit to start but if he is, it'll be Eanna Martin who loses out and not james breen who has been superb for us this year. Personally i'd start both Ryan and Andrew Kenny replacing Martin and Morris who has been virtually non existent all year and start as Fanning, Ryan, O Hanlon, Breen,Kenny, Foley, O Connor, Moore, Conroy,Dunne, Chin, Mc Govern, Doran, Mc Donald, O keeffe.

There is a hole variety of tactical options within the team i've just named that i'm just to lazy to type out. I cant see us deviating too much from the way we've been playing with Chin coming deep, conroy sitting , foley going as sweeper and moore playing in half back line but I would be very tempted to really attack a Waterford team low on confidence early here. A couple of early goals and aggressive game plan even for ther first 10 mins would be my choice then we could revart a bit more conservative.

Anyway we are in bonus territory but we have to seize the moment and do eveything possible to grasp this oppertunity to make the all ireland semi final for the first time in a decade. Waterfords collapse via Tipp wll naturally lead to a back lash and I expect them to improve greatly. The last time (2014) we played an all ireland 1/4 final we made a show of ourselves by physically and mentally collapsing via Limerick but were in a healthier position to give a better account of ourselves this time around. All the pressure is on a greatly over hyped but very talented Waterford team that were being tipped as All ireland champions only weeks ago. According to Cyril Farrell in todays independent we are the outsiders here and ' about to step up in class'. With a full hand i'd fancy us to competite with any team in the country but even allowing for that our confidence should be sky high now to throw the kitchen sink at Waterford.

Get our match ups right here and hurl without fear could well lead to us upsetting the apple cart here..."
Why switch o keefe?? He has been an unbelievable outlet for our backs in the last two matches. Always showing for the ball and there to take handpasses, on top of that his distribution is better than anyone else. This will be key against a packed backline, so for me that would be a crazy choice!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 16/07/2016 16:07:04    1884261

Link

You'd have to keep the full back line the way it is an maybe on the day if something needs to be changed so be it.... Be great if podge is able to play as we need his physicality in the forwards an he's awkward to play against,, or maybe put Liam Ryan in the forwards only joking lads :-) :-)...

juan31 (Wexford) - Posts: 142 - 16/07/2016 17:36:10    1884291

Link

Alot of wishfull thinking going on as I Cant see Ryan being fit as he has limited movement and its takes time to get the strength and flexability back . If he plays it will be high risk.

Linebacker (Wexford) - Posts: 100 - 16/07/2016 21:57:18    1884437

Link

Replying To Linebacker:  "Alot of wishfull thinking going on as I Cant see Ryan being fit as he has limited movement and its takes time to get the strength and flexability back . If he plays it will be high risk."
The reason I suggested moving O Keeffe out was because Waterford have moran and Walsh wing forwards and do you really want Waterford landing puck outs on top of O Keeffee? Didn't think so... O Keeffe done ok via Cork when he was marking Conor lehane as he had the pace to contain him but Walsh & Moran are key waterford puck out targets and O Keeffe wouldn't be known for his aerial prowess.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 17/07/2016 15:10:11    1884690

Link

Replying To cragask:  "The reason I suggested moving O Keeffe out was because Waterford have moran and Walsh wing forwards and do you really want Waterford landing puck outs on top of O Keeffee? Didn't think so... O Keeffe done ok via Cork when he was marking Conor lehane as he had the pace to contain him but Walsh & Moran are key waterford puck out targets and O Keeffe wouldn't be known for his aerial prowess."
dee is not there to win puck out ball . he picking up alot of loose ball and using it brilliantly with his pace and passing he can really hurt team from this position . the modern game like it or not calls for players like dee to be played in defence where he has more time and space . he should not be moved in any way unless we really need to during the game .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 17/07/2016 17:34:05    1884785

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "dee is not there to win puck out ball . he picking up alot of loose ball and using it brilliantly with his pace and passing he can really hurt team from this position . the modern game like it or not calls for players like dee to be played in defence where he has more time and space . he should not be moved in any way unless we really need to during the game ."
yet swapping Dee and Jack O'Connor v Offaly was the winning of the game.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 17/07/2016 17:50:38    1884807

Link

Spot on Doylerwex. Yes gussraneman O Keeffee can and does execute all those attributes you mentioned and he isin't there to win puck outs, thats correct. However both Moran and Walsh are Waterfords puck out men, watch their game with tipp and you'll notice that 80% of their puck outs when going long were targeted on those 2. I don't really think O Keeffee would cope physically with either of those lads..As I said Lehane suited him & Waterfords wing forwards dont. For me its horses for courses and personally I'd rather Andrew Kenny and Jack O' Connor on brick and Moran. All a matter of opinion of course but I feel starting O' Keeffe in any defensive position Sunday would be a mistake as we need him , his ability to cover ground and win breaking ball further up the field on sunday. In our league game with them we pushed O Hanlon out on Walsh which proved effective enough however we had Liam Ryan Available that day and we may not Sunday.

Our approach should be intresting but as I said previously I would really attack them early on Sunday and attempt to dent their confidence a bit more as I feel if there in front in the closing stages I can see them ' parking the bus' so to speak. No doubt they will swarm their back line because of the Chin + Mc Donald axis but as Tipp demonstrated its runners out wide and following in that can cause them trouble and thats when David Dunne and Liam Og are perfectly suited.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 17/07/2016 20:20:53    1884981

Link

Replying To cragask:  "Spot on Doylerwex. Yes gussraneman O Keeffee can and does execute all those attributes you mentioned and he isin't there to win puck outs, thats correct. However both Moran and Walsh are Waterfords puck out men, watch their game with tipp and you'll notice that 80% of their puck outs when going long were targeted on those 2. I don't really think O Keeffee would cope physically with either of those lads..As I said Lehane suited him & Waterfords wing forwards dont. For me its horses for courses and personally I'd rather Andrew Kenny and Jack O' Connor on brick and Moran. All a matter of opinion of course but I feel starting O' Keeffe in any defensive position Sunday would be a mistake as we need him , his ability to cover ground and win breaking ball further up the field on sunday. In our league game with them we pushed O Hanlon out on Walsh which proved effective enough however we had Liam Ryan Available that day and we may not Sunday.

Our approach should be intresting but as I said previously I would really attack them early on Sunday and attempt to dent their confidence a bit more as I feel if there in front in the closing stages I can see them ' parking the bus' so to speak. No doubt they will swarm their back line because of the Chin + Mc Donald axis but as Tipp demonstrated its runners out wide and following in that can cause them trouble and thats when David Dunne and Liam Og are perfectly suited."
After watching the lg final tonight and the wexford inter team wed night I think.nicky kirwin is a serious option off the bench scored 2 6 tonight for oulart and 1 3 v kilkenny the other night has to be seriously considered

Hurlinmadman (Wicklow) - Posts: 12 - 17/07/2016 23:27:09    1885110

Link

Agree 100%. Was in the park yesterday evening and Nicky Kirwan was outstanding, blew the Martins away singlehanded. Oulart minus many regulars were just too good on the night

Stratos (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 18/07/2016 14:46:59    1885582

Link

Good to hear that a panel member such as Nicky Kirwan is in good form, personally I dont think he has any outstandiing attributes that make him county standard but a valued panel member none the less. Any player that scores 2-6, abit in a league game with weakened sides, the week before an all ireland 1/4 final is worth a place in the match day squad. Should have a few good options for sunday.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 18/07/2016 15:16:55    1885620

Link

Replying To cragask:  "Good to hear that a panel member such as Nicky Kirwan is in good form, personally I dont think he has any outstandiing attributes that make him county standard but a valued panel member none the less. Any player that scores 2-6, abit in a league game with weakened sides, the week before an all ireland 1/4 final is worth a place in the match day squad. Should have a few good options for sunday."
Not sure how anybody could conclude that Nicky Kirwan does not have outstanding attributes when he has been Oularts top scorer for ever and has received man of the match awards in numerous county finals with Wexfords.
top club for many years. Without doubt he could be a great asset to our endeavours this coming Sunday
Regardless of who lines out I hope we get the rub of the green and a favourable result

Stratos (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 18/07/2016 16:13:50    1885689

Link

Be surprised if Nicky plays any part on Sunday. He hasn't played inter county for years now and wouldn't expect The management to throw him into an All Ireland quarter final. Any update on fitness of Doran and Liam Ryan lads? Be a massive boost to have both them start

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 18/07/2016 21:28:08    1885896

Link

No point talking about line ups as our line up will be decided by our match ups,for example DOK hurled most of the offaly game at midfield and played very well there,then against cork he started corner back as he was given the job of looking after lehane.also any talk here on injuries is only speculation really,on Ryan's injury has anyone ever broken a thumb or know someone who broke a thumb?would 2 weeks after the cast been removed be considered enough time to build up strength and flexibility?I wouldn't know myself to tell the truth

From the league quarter final I remember our match ups were o'hanlon wing back on brick,Ryan on shanahan at full back,o'keefe started corner back on Gleeson and followed him further out the field.it will be interesting to see any if these happen again obviously injury permitting with ryan.at the other end I seen people mentioning that darragh fives could pick up Chin but in the league game dunford dropped back in front of de burca from midfield to pick him up,I remember duingnan mentioning in commentary during the Munster final that Jamie Barron played a similar role in that game,when we've played Waterford in the last 2 years Noel Connors has picked up McGovern in every game for that reason alone we could start McGovern at half forward line just to change things up a bit,I'd put either McGovern or dunne on Philip mahony as I think he could possibly be exploited for a lack of pace as proven in the league final replay when Tony Kelly had him in bother,I'm not saying there in tony Kelly's class but they have the pace to worry defences.I think it's vital for us on Sunday to get McDonald involved in the game,in the 2 recent league games against them he's been almost double marked and made little impact on the games,we need to learn lessons for what Tipperary done make sure Dr Burca is kept occupied and doesn't have the freedom just to drop in front of conor mac.

I think the biggest factor is this game on Sunday is how Waterford react to their mauling from Tipperary,if they come out fighting they'll be very hard to break down,generally there form has been very good over the last 18 months,in fairness to them 1 game doesn't make you a bad team. I'd don't think they'll abandon their sweeper system on Sunday but after a defeat like that there almost obliged to tweak something weather it's tactics in some way or change of personal,they could possibly bring in dunford,Stephen Bennett after getting 2-3 in the u21 game last week or conor Gleeson as their full back line was under pressure against Tipperary

Win,lose or draw I hope we do ourselves justice on Sunday and take confidence from finally getting a win in thurles especially against Munster opposition

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 19/07/2016 00:03:14    1885972

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Be surprised if Nicky plays any part on Sunday. He hasn't played inter county for years now and wouldn't expect The management to throw him into an All Ireland quarter final. Any update on fitness of Doran and Liam Ryan lads? Be a massive boost to have both them start"
Doran out for definite! Minimum of 6 weeks. Liam ryan tried to train last week and had to stop, having mobility problems with the thumb. Looks unlikely to start this stage.

I would put kehoe in for doran and kenny for martin as straight swaps.

As for how we play, there are 2 things we cannot do! They are carry ball in the middle third(as has been suggested) and clear long from inside our 40! Waterford are too well drilled to defend against both these options!

We need to move short and quick to half way and then take the shot of theh have dropped back if not play an accurate ball to our outnumbered forwards!

We did this fairly well against cork but we also worked extremely hard when we hit in poor ball and won valuable frees etc. We also had very few wides vs Cork, the most efficient Wexford performance that springs to mind to be honest. We will need to replicate this and take a huge percentage of our chances again. This week we need to take any goal chance we get, cant see us out pointing them!

Big game for these lads and all involved. Heres hoping for another performance and another big day in thurles.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 19/07/2016 08:13:54    1886004

Link

Massive blow if both Doran and Liam Ryan are out. I can't remember any inter county squad being decimated by injuries as much as we have this year

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 19/07/2016 11:16:47    1886110

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Massive blow if both Doran and Liam Ryan are out. I can't remember any inter county squad being decimated by injuries as much as we have this year"
Breen doubtful for Sunday aswel,played through the cork game with meningitis,we must be cursed by some witch doctor this is actually ridiculous

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 19/07/2016 12:59:07    1886219

Link

Massive blow if both Doran and Liam Ryan are out. I can't remember any inter county squad being decimated by injuries as much as we have this year

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 19/07/2016 13:23:33    1886257

Link

Ye seem to be having alot of bad luck. With lads picking up injureys. But hopefully all that bad fortune will turn to good fortune on sunday for ye. I wish your team all the best.

hogan35 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 93 - 20/07/2016 10:28:57    1886845

Link