Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling Greatest Clubs

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Past hurler:  "I assumed Oulart was a village? And is there not a village called The Ballagh aswel?

I thought they joined together to former once club but were different villages.

My bad."
Yeah oulart, the ballagh and raheenduff are the villages that make up that parish. Same as peircestown and murrintown make up st martins parish

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3226 - 15/12/2019 21:41:06    2255051

Link

I would hazard a guess that successful clubs looks after it players and coaches, hard work and success usually mentioned in the same sentence.

luvgaa (Wexford) - Posts: 155 - 16/12/2019 19:13:24    2255206

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Yeah oulart, the ballagh and raheenduff are the villages that make up that parish. Same as peircestown and murrintown make up st martins parish"
They are one parish, Raheenduff is just a townland therein.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 09/03/2020 21:54:17    2273155

Link

Replying To Camanmad:  "What has happened to the King Pins of Wexford Hurling and how do you get them back near the top again .

Wexford Hurling needs clubs like Rathnure , Oulart and Buffers Alley to be strong .

Can you see these clubs getting back there .
It's tough as they are rural areas and the martins are getting stronger and have huge catchment area ."
What ever happened to the fine Sally Beechers team???

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 09/03/2020 21:56:37    2273156

Link

Replying To Camanmad:  "What has happened to the King Pins of Wexford Hurling and how do you get them back near the top again .

Wexford Hurling needs clubs like Rathnure , Oulart and Buffers Alley to be strong .

Can you see these clubs getting back there .
It's tough as they are rural areas and the martins are getting stronger and have huge catchment area ."
Every county has once great clubs, who are gone down now and some are even gone out of existence. Ahane, Fedamore, Croom and even Young Irelands come to mind in Limerick. Adare won five county medals in the oughties and are very poor now, apart from Declan Hannon.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 09/03/2020 22:00:15    2273157

Link

Replying To Past hurler:  "Oulart the Ballagh have two small parishes to pick their hurlers from, but it is still two parishes. A lot of hurling played in both primary schools also.

Faythe Harriers always have had good underage hurlers but only won 1 x SHC in 2001. Can be sometimes harder for town clubs to hold onto hurlers with soccer etc and town distractions.

Wexford hurling is in a very good place."
Oulart/The Ballagh is the same Parish- end of story. There was a time when half parishes had teams but that is largely gone now, especially in rural parishes. Patrickswell and Ballybrown and Newtownshandrum and Dromina and the neighbouring Milford/Tullylease/ Freemount are cases of more than one adult team in the same parish, but they are exceptions.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 09/03/2020 22:13:00    2273162

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "What ever happened to the fine Sally Beechers team???"
Ah, they went the way of several other weird and wonderfully named clubs of the time. I remember the local paper once did a piece (a good few years ago now) about them. The one name that really stands out in my mind is the Raheen Heartbreakers. You'd have to wonder the story behind that one...

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 480 - 10/03/2020 10:46:17    2273195

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Every county has once great clubs, who are gone down now and some are even gone out of existence. Ahane, Fedamore, Croom and even Young Irelands come to mind in Limerick. Adare won five county medals in the oughties and are very poor now, apart from Declan Hannon."
A factor also is that club hurling is generally not like soccer or rugby in that players play for the parish they are from or sometimes the parish where they live if they have lived there a long time. No guarantees you will get top hurlers born in a particular area every year. Yes Martin's have a great squad. Many of these are related to members of their last great generation back in the 90s. No doubt they were encouraged by the exploits of their fathers and uncles.... .

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 2647 - 10/03/2020 11:51:43    2273207

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Ah, they went the way of several other weird and wonderfully named clubs of the time. I remember the local paper once did a piece (a good few years ago now) about them. The one name that really stands out in my mind is the Raheen Heartbreakers. You'd have to wonder the story behind that one..."
Sally Beachers was one of the clubs that existed in the over the water area i.e. across the bridge in Castlebridge Parish. It is not The Shelmaliers Club. I have no clue why there were so many clubs in the area at the time - the Shes own website even say that the club in the 50's came about by the merger of St Ibars and Ardcolm, one thing I can think of is that back then it wasn't so much clubs but teams. I guess we assume today that over a hundred years ago the same parish concept existed as it does today - that may not have been the case. According to the Shels, that area had Castlebridge, Sally Beachers, the Emmets, the Redmonds and then obviously the other two above. I remember having an book on the history of the club, I must see if I can find it.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1195 - 10/03/2020 15:29:27    2273247

Link

Replying To zinny:  "Sally Beachers was one of the clubs that existed in the over the water area i.e. across the bridge in Castlebridge Parish. It is not The Shelmaliers Club. I have no clue why there were so many clubs in the area at the time - the Shes own website even say that the club in the 50's came about by the merger of St Ibars and Ardcolm, one thing I can think of is that back then it wasn't so much clubs but teams. I guess we assume today that over a hundred years ago the same parish concept existed as it does today - that may not have been the case. According to the Shels, that area had Castlebridge, Sally Beachers, the Emmets, the Redmonds and then obviously the other two above. I remember having an book on the history of the club, I must see if I can find it."
Sorry that should be it is now the Shelmaliers club

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1195 - 10/03/2020 15:44:05    2273253

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Ah, they went the way of several other weird and wonderfully named clubs of the time. I remember the local paper once did a piece (a good few years ago now) about them. The one name that really stands out in my mind is the Raheen Heartbreakers. You'd have to wonder the story behind that one..."
Were those Heartbreaks up around Schullabogue, more or less between Adamstown and New Ross. I wonder did they break the hearts of the opposition or those of their own supporters. When Glen Rovers were just a struggling club there another useless club nearby called the Mourners. A local saying said 'the World beat the Mourners, but the Mourners beat The Glen'

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 10/03/2020 21:18:25    2273306

Link

I always pictured the Heartbreakers as a team of roving Lotharios who romanced and seduced the local female populace wherever they played, only to then leave said ladies heartbroken as they moved on to pastures new to sow further fresh oats. The Pat Mustards of the 1920s, if you will.

But your theory is a good one too….

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 480 - 11/03/2020 09:55:29    2273342

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "I always pictured the Heartbreakers as a team of roving Lotharios who romanced and seduced the local female populace wherever they played, only to then leave said ladies heartbroken as they moved on to pastures new to sow further fresh oats. The Pat Mustards of the 1920s, if you will.

But your theory is a good one too…."
Think your vision of that team is more entertaining lad!!

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 2647 - 11/03/2020 17:33:17    2273442

Link

Another unusual one was the Tara Hill Campaigners from the early 1900's.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 200 - 11/03/2020 21:08:33    2273473

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "I always pictured the Heartbreakers as a team of roving Lotharios who romanced and seduced the local female populace wherever they played, only to then leave said ladies heartbroken as they moved on to pastures new to sow further fresh oats. The Pat Mustards of the 1920s, if you will.

But your theory is a good one too…."
Don't most present day teams do that anyway. Oh', the heartlessness of it.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 12/03/2020 09:34:49    2273513

Link

Was talking to an Oulart man recently, he said it could be 10 years before Oulart have a squad to reach/contest a Wexford SHC final again. Their aim over the next 5-10 years will be to retain SHC and not drop down to Intermediate.

Can anyone see Rathnure win a SHC in the next 10 years, have they the players coming through?

The likes of Faythe harries should have some strong underage players coming through.

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 296 - 01/04/2020 09:45:39    2275147

Link

Would say Oulart are just downplaying themselves a bit again.

I remember in 2015 (year after Glynn/Barntown shocked them in the quarter-finals in Bellefield), one of their players (might have been Keith Rossiter) saying in an interview that their main aim for the year was just to get back to the quarter-finals. They instead won the final again and that was the year they went on to win Leinster too. Think at least one and probably both of those would really have been their main aim all along.

I do think St. Martin's will dominate for most of the next decade, but to expected to believe that Oulart would just be happy to just stay senior for that time is probably stretching it a bit.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 480 - 01/04/2020 14:12:46    2275169

Link

oulart are getting old though and the team now is very close to it 10 yrs ago.
there i doubt they will drop to intermediate,they could go the same way as buffers alley.
having said that,i have heard they have some very good underage teams,so any hiatus downward will be short lived.
buffers alley on the other hand,it is hard to see when they will be back.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 01/04/2020 14:59:29    2275171

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "oulart are getting old though and the team now is very close to it 10 yrs ago.
there i doubt they will drop to intermediate,they could go the same way as buffers alley.
having said that,i have heard they have some very good underage teams,so any hiatus downward will be short lived.
buffers alley on the other hand,it is hard to see when they will be back."
They have serious underage teams at u15 and u13 at the minute. U15s have a serious young player in Luke Roche, actually he could be minor now? Not sure. Anyways, exceptional talent. They won't win a title but they won't be relegated either but I'm sure in the next 3 to 4 years they will be back competing with Martins again.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 200 - 02/04/2020 19:08:55    2275222

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "They have serious underage teams at u15 and u13 at the minute. U15s have a serious young player in Luke Roche, actually he could be minor now? Not sure. Anyways, exceptional talent. They won't win a title but they won't be relegated either but I'm sure in the next 3 to 4 years they will be back competing with Martins again."
Nearly sure Luke Roche hurls with Shels, could be wrong though!

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 296 - 02/04/2020 19:31:30    2275225

Link