Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To rorysboys:  "Well done to all concerned, a very good controlled performance but at end of the day it's only early March. If we can keep everybody fit and get the walking wounded back we seem to be building a good squad. Monaghan looked poor but wudnt dwell to much on that. Nice to see Neil Mc gee back to his commanding self he definitely plays on the edge but he seemed totally up for the battle yesterday. No doubt who man of match was Langan was brilliant. He was up against young Kearns who's highly rated but he completely dominated him. If we can keep him fit it'll be a Huge plus because he has everything you want in a midfielder."
Think with himself, Hughie and Jason in there Donegal are going to be incredibly strong around the middle. Plus there are at least 3 lads coming through the underage set ups I can think of that have the ability to be top class as well.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 12:27:29    2271605

Link

Good result finally for Donegal. Management getting matchups and selections headed in the right direction. Mogan getting better every time out, O'Donnell should start before Paul Brennan! Is McGonagle being carried for some reason? Good as McGee and Ward were,Ward being superb, still need a CHB. Langan great,when was the last time Donegal won a game without Murphy scoring?

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 02/03/2020 12:31:44    2271611

Link

Good performance in bad conditions. I could not believe how bad Monaghan were and have no idea what they were trying to do except keep the score down. The most pleasing aspect of the performance was that MM and Ryan McHugh had quiet games but others stepped up. Langan was excellent as was Caolan Ward, Neil McGee and Hughie. Great to have Paddy McBrearty back and he looks in decent nick. NOD was really good coming on and hopefully we will see him blossom this year.

We are definitely improving defensively as is borne out by the fact that we have conceded the least scores in div 1. We probably can't read too much into that win yesterday but overall we have to be happy performance-wise. I think Bonner will be keen to beat Tyrone the next day out and secure our div 1 status, we wouldn't want to be travelling to Tralee looking for a result.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1755 - 02/03/2020 12:42:47    2271617

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Good performance in bad conditions. I could not believe how bad Monaghan were and have no idea what they were trying to do except keep the score down. The most pleasing aspect of the performance was that MM and Ryan McHugh had quiet games but others stepped up. Langan was excellent as was Caolan Ward, Neil McGee and Hughie. Great to have Paddy McBrearty back and he looks in decent nick. NOD was really good coming on and hopefully we will see him blossom this year.

We are definitely improving defensively as is borne out by the fact that we have conceded the least scores in div 1. We probably can't read too much into that win yesterday but overall we have to be happy performance-wise. I think Bonner will be keen to beat Tyrone the next day out and secure our div 1 status, we wouldn't want to be travelling to Tralee looking for a result."
From these eyes through deferred coverage they put most of their efforts into keeping Murphy and Ryan quiet which they had relative success with. However they failed to plan for the rest and the first goal killed them. Plus our need was more playing on a pitch where knowledge played a part. I honestly think we are safe and being confident of that since the first game. Find it hard to see Mayo getting 3 points from their last 2 games especially with their injury list. Added to fact I think yesterday was not our last points gained.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 14:13:34    2271667

Link

I'd worry if Tyrone beat us they might throw the Mayo game if Mayo bet Galway just to stick is down. !!!

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 02/03/2020 14:42:33    2271676

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Think with himself, Hughie and Jason in there Donegal are going to be incredibly strong around the middle. Plus there are at least 3 lads coming through the underage set ups I can think of that have the ability to be top class as well."
Getting Jason back in the middle for Championship would be brilliant, but also good to see McGonagle get a run of games over the last month after an injury-hit early portion of the league.

I feel that when the half-back line and midfield take a more consistent shape we will start to get more joy from turnovers, and have a more solid platform to begin attacks. Regardless of results lately, the backroom team have found a very nice balance.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 210 - 02/03/2020 15:01:46    2271684

Link

Replying To cowsinthehills:  "Delighted with yesterdays result. Played well and controlled the game in the second half. I thought Monaghan were a side that are waiting in the long grass. They were late out and I think they're thinking of the bigger picture. Meath to play but delighted for our lads. We may cross paths again in the summer. Have mulligan and carroll left the squad?"
Looks like it. Mulligan certainly knows where the posts are but drifts out of games alot including at club level. Big commitment if you're going to be a bit part player at best. As for Carroll the lad has talent no doubt and if fully committed could make the team. However I am not at all surprised he is gone if indeed the case. Highlighted issues about commitment last summer without going into great detail as just stuff I heard. Maybe those issues have resurfaced. He is a young lad still but has an awful lot of maturing to do yet.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 15:25:38    2271695

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Looks like it. Mulligan certainly knows where the posts are but drifts out of games alot including at club level. Big commitment if you're going to be a bit part player at best. As for Carroll the lad has talent no doubt and if fully committed could make the team. However I am not at all surprised he is gone if indeed the case. Highlighted issues about commitment last summer without going into great detail as just stuff I heard. Maybe those issues have resurfaced. He is a young lad still but has an awful lot of maturing to do yet."
Carroll has the physical attributes to be a top class player, but doesn't seem to have the continued drive or commitment required to be a long-term top class player.

It's difficult to make it at the top level, to break into the County panel is tough, and then break into the starting 15 is a huge ask. The guys that make it are usually all talented, but also have a never lay down mentality, keep wanting to get better and improve. While some players can make the breakthrough quite quickly, it still takes most 18 or 19 year old players 4 or 5 years to establish themselves.

I think young players need to learn that initial failures and setbacks is what will later make them stronger.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 02/03/2020 16:47:39    2271731

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Looks like it. Mulligan certainly knows where the posts are but drifts out of games alot including at club level. Big commitment if you're going to be a bit part player at best. As for Carroll the lad has talent no doubt and if fully committed could make the team. However I am not at all surprised he is gone if indeed the case. Highlighted issues about commitment last summer without going into great detail as just stuff I heard. Maybe those issues have resurfaced. He is a young lad still but has an awful lot of maturing to do yet."
I'm surprised mulligan and Carroll are not getting game time. But who are we to know how these lads are doing at training. One thing I would say is if there going well I've no doubt management would be having them game time. One prime example of this is Mc fadden ferry who played his first competitive match in an ulster final. Hopefully the boys if they are still there will stick at it cause you never know when your time will come.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 02/03/2020 17:29:32    2271739

Link

I'd imagine Declan would love to pick the 2 gdore lads in the team but what message does that send out to the 26 or 30 who trained last year without walking away. The lads had to bind their time and then take their chance. Although I think they should have got game time.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 02/03/2020 18:05:57    2271749

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Getting Jason back in the middle for Championship would be brilliant, but also good to see McGonagle get a run of games over the last month after an injury-hit early portion of the league.

I feel that when the half-back line and midfield take a more consistent shape we will start to get more joy from turnovers, and have a more solid platform to begin attacks. Regardless of results lately, the backroom team have found a very nice balance."
I would be surprised personally if McGonagle sees much championship game time certainly in the really big games. Good he has got a run for him personally but not seen anything to change my above opinion.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 18:22:55    2271753

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I would be surprised personally if McGonagle sees much championship game time certainly in the really big games. Good he has got a run for him personally but not seen anything to change my above opinion."
I don't like name checking players but mcgonigle and p Brennan will be lucky to see any game time come championship based on their league performances to date. Carroll would be light years ahead of either at wing forward, there seems to be some issue that he is not being selected, is he even in the panel now?

Hopefully McGee will be fit to take his place in m/f and this will release Langan to the half forward line. The only rationale I can see for not starting O'Donnell is for the game to have opened up in the second half like Sunday. The dry sod will suit him better in the summer.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 546 - 02/03/2020 21:20:38    2271798

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "I don't like name checking players but mcgonigle and p Brennan will be lucky to see any game time come championship based on their league performances to date. Carroll would be light years ahead of either at wing forward, there seems to be some issue that he is not being selected, is he even in the panel now?

Hopefully McGee will be fit to take his place in m/f and this will release Langan to the half forward line. The only rationale I can see for not starting O'Donnell is for the game to have opened up in the second half like Sunday. The dry sod will suit him better in the summer."
Luckily neither are wing forwards...

Both will get meaningful game time in the championship.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 210 - 02/03/2020 21:40:16    2271800

Link

I think niall o'donnell was sick with a virus earlier in the year and possibly didn't have the full match in him yet. He seems to getting there though. A fully at it niall o'donnell is a starter. A fully fit jamie brennan is a starter as well and if he's fit for the Tyrone match then he starts.
The Tyrone match is really important. Mayo nearly caught kerry who were miles ahead at half time and galway were lucky enough against meath. I would not be surprised if they turn galway over the next day. Having no option but to win is a great motivation and this is especially true against a team like galway who just won't have the same motivation.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 381 - 02/03/2020 23:15:09    2271822

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "I don't like name checking players but mcgonigle and p Brennan will be lucky to see any game time come championship based on their league performances to date. Carroll would be light years ahead of either at wing forward, there seems to be some issue that he is not being selected, is he even in the panel now?

Hopefully McGee will be fit to take his place in m/f and this will release Langan to the half forward line. The only rationale I can see for not starting O'Donnell is for the game to have opened up in the second half like Sunday. The dry sod will suit him better in the summer."
O'Donnell is just coming back from a bad dose of pneumonia that cost him over a stone in weight so he's been brought back slowly. He's going to be a very important player for us moving forward. Great off both feet, quick and getting stronger.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1644 - 02/03/2020 23:40:33    2271832

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Luckily neither are wing forwards...

Both will get meaningful game time in the championship."
Brennan is a favourite of the management so likely he will see some anyways. Time will tell but with players to come back just not seeing enough.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 03/03/2020 00:40:52    2271837

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Good performance in bad conditions. I could not believe how bad Monaghan were and have no idea what they were trying to do except keep the score down. The most pleasing aspect of the performance was that MM and Ryan McHugh had quiet games but others stepped up. Langan was excellent as was Caolan Ward, Neil McGee and Hughie. Great to have Paddy McBrearty back and he looks in decent nick. NOD was really good coming on and hopefully we will see him blossom this year.

We are definitely improving defensively as is borne out by the fact that we have conceded the least scores in div 1. We probably can't read too much into that win yesterday but overall we have to be happy performance-wise. I think Bonner will be keen to beat Tyrone the next day out and secure our div 1 status, we wouldn't want to be travelling to Tralee looking for a result."
I'm wondering if our low concession rate is more to do with how much possession we have rather than out and out good defending. I haven't seen the stats, but would think out possession % would be very high. We're going very well on kickouts generally

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 251 - 03/03/2020 10:13:57    2271880

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "I'm wondering if our low concession rate is more to do with how much possession we have rather than out and out good defending. I haven't seen the stats, but would think out possession % would be very high. We're going very well on kickouts generally"
Valid point and think it a factor alright. We defended well at the weekend as well as Dublin who were recipients of some handy scores from Donegal sloppiness. Bar the late goal against Mayo defended well there too as first goal a fluke. The Galway one is where defensively in the second we were poor enough.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 03/03/2020 11:44:31    2271913

Link

I like the possession style football but you can imagine if we are losing by a few points that plan might become redundant!

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 03/03/2020 13:08:16    2271941

Link

What's the story with Ethan O'Donnell really thought that after the club campaign he had would make a big addition and suit our style of play

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 18 - 03/03/2020 14:31:41    2271969

Link