Wexford Forum

Are we a county of bottlers?

(Oldest Posts First)

Are we a county of bottlers? Whether it's our football team, hurling team or underage teams, do we bottle it when we see the victory in sight?
Examples:
>Wexford U21 footballers v Kildare a few years ago- O'Brien changed the team from the other games, made subs in the first half. Even with a man sent off we only lost by a couple of points.
>Wexford hurlers on countless occasions - like v Dublin this year, ahead with 2 mins left, Dublin get a draw.
>Wexford footballers v Dublin- Dublin down to 12 players and we can't kick a free to save our lives. Match goes to extra time where we lose.
>Wexford footballers lose in qualifiers to teams like Limerick, Tipperary
>Wexford U21 hurlers today at 1/80 odds don't turn up and beaten well by Antrim
>Club teams like Oulart still can't win a Leinster

What is it that we always seem to bottle it when we are in sight of doing well? It's gone too far now.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 24/08/2013 17:25:16    1467106

Link

In short yes. It's disappointing but let's not lose sight of the fact that it was a decent enough year.Leinster was a big achievement for them and the senior hurlers didn't get humiliated.the road is long.this is only the start of it

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 24/08/2013 20:33:27    1467256

Link

icehonesty,

I think you are being a bit harsh?

anpleota (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 24/08/2013 21:10:55    1467293

Link

I think kevin ryan was playing a wee bit of "cute Kerry hoorism" with his press releases. The team seemed very focused the last nite I saw them !!! if wexford were 1/80 what price were antrim then? antrim abu

conair0 (Antrim) - Posts: 45 - 24/08/2013 21:19:43    1467306

Link

Icehonesty
We have people in our county who are quick to point our bad Croke Park record and then list every game, club or county at every grade that we lost there over the last thirty years but they never mention that we beat Clare and more significantly Waterford there before a massive crowd in 2007. Antrim are grossly insulted in all this because they beat Offaly in 89 and seriously put it up to Cork and Kilkenny in the early nineties, however our wins over them in this period are not even mentioned. Tonight is not the time to hit these young Wexford lads with all the 'sins' of the past few years along with the upset they are feeling at todays defeat.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 24/08/2013 21:33:21    1467322

Link

Antrim had only 3 subs on the bench, the rest went to play football. Wexfords attitude sucked from the first minute

csjj (Wexford) - Posts: 104 - 24/08/2013 21:40:28    1467335

Link

Talking one of the usual starting 15 in the pub last Saturday.he seemed far to confident......

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 25/08/2013 11:01:19    1467415

Link

Talking one of the usual starting 15 in the pub last Saturday.he seemed far to confident......

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 25/08/2013 11:03:21    1467416

Link

I have to agree with Icehonesty here, and that's being a realist.

In my opinion our county players are far too complacent when it comes to opposition. Management, players, etc have to stand up and question their mentality here. Our county players are too opinionated and confident in themselves and they are forgetting that we are not the team we were in 90's. We have achieved very little in the last 10 years of hurling and some people on here are blinded to think that we are making strides. We are moving very and I repeat very slowly in the right direction. To those that think we are not far off the mark by drawing with Dublin and bringing Clare to extra time this year, ye are looking through tinted glass. The Dublin game was one of the poorest games of hurling in the championship this year as regards the quality of hurling. Exciting it was, but certainly not of good standard. The same for the Clare game. Clare could not score from 20 yards out that day, and they and Dublin became very different teams as they progressed throughout the championship.

I don't know where Wexford hurling is going from here but if we are at rock bottom then at least that is where a solid foundation is built from.

knowall2009 (Wexford) - Posts: 18 - 25/08/2013 13:12:24    1467501

Link

Harsh and over the top I think icehonesty. I think the word you are looking for is inconsistent. We still, in both codes, at all levels, seem unable to put 2 good performances back to back. Minor hurlers: beat Kilkenny, lose to Laois. U-21: beat Kilkenny, lose to Antrim. Senior footballers: beat Louth comfortably, collapse in 2nd half to Meath (losing leads in the 2nd half is an ongoing theme with this team unfortunately).

I think the hurlers in recent years werent good enough and that is that. This year was a change in attitude and we should have had a free out for the Dublin goal at the end of the game which would have won the match. Big games turn on small margins, etc. Just like the game on Sunday, the keeper dropping the ball into his own goal was the difference between winning and losing. But I'd not be too harsh on them, they are young and we want to keep them playing GAA, be that hurling or football.

We definitely also struggle with the favourites tag and this is probably our biggest hindrance.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 26/08/2013 09:10:00    1468089

Link