Wexford Forum

Shocking Amount Of Walk Overs

(Oldest Posts First)

the wexford gaa results page today makes for sad reading.
the amount of walkovers is appalling.34 walkovers in the last 10 days.
u20 hurling,clubs like askamore,glynn-barntown,gorey,new ross,faythe harriers,monagear giving walk overs.what is going on?a town the size of gorey,wexford and new ross?harriers cant field a junior b team?buffers alley walk over in division 4-that their 2nd team?marshelstown in junior b hurling?another 2nd team?craanford in division 1a of hurling-the top grade?
it is holiday season,but the same clubs who whinge and moan all summer about no games,dont seem to be able to field even 15 players?
what is going wrong?is the attitude so indifferent that nobody in clubs care?
do we need a summer closed season?i thought this was prime hurling and football season.
the people i despair for are the people who probably reluctantly manage these teams.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 29/06/2018 12:20:56    2116654

Link

Ridiculous amount of walkovers. People constantly giving out about no games but it seems as if many just don't care whether they play or not. For the likes of buffers alley to be giving walkovers with their second hurling team, and clubs like bannow unable to field a second football team is very very poor.

Under 20 is a separate issue. I warned at county board meetings that reducing under 21 to under 20 would reduce the number of players available to clubs, and therefore increase the number of walkovers but the response was that we need to protect the under 18 player and that if it was left at under 21 he mightn't make the team. Which was utter rubbish. Reducing the year groups available from 5 to 4 needs to be addressed going forward.

The other issue Is because the group stages doesn't knock anyone out, clubs have to play the under 20 games without county players, which just adds to the unavailability of enough players.

I'm all for abolishing under 20, and providing incentives for clubs to field more adult teams, or at least stop giving walkovers.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 29/06/2018 15:27:14    2116715

Link

U20 has been a disaster!!!! Whats the point of the group matches, playing for placings?? Back to U21 and knockout, maybe a back door for teams who get knocked out to come back in after districts. 18 year olds are getting plenty of matches, especially with a second team.

Walkovers in the league are for not just fielding teams, it can also be to do with teams already relegated etc. They could probably do with not playing games in the month of June, there will still plenty of time for these games in July.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 193 - 29/06/2018 20:54:12    2116776

Link

If you can't enjoy playing the game just for enjoyment sake then you shouldn't play at all. This practice of giving walkovers in the league just because you can't win anything shows a lack of genuine interest in the sport

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 30/06/2018 11:01:31    2116834

Link

I am involved in my clubs u20 team and we had to give a walkover for the last round. At the beginning of the year we had 19 players who said they would play so we went ahead and entered. 4 of these players no longer play bar the odd junior game if the junior team were stuck but said they would play the u20 as it was there last year. Of that 19 players for the game last week, 2 were gone off on a leaving cert holiday with a group of friends, while another 2 were on holidays with their families. 5 guys were down to work with only 2 being able to get off, start of the busy season in shops and pubs which was why they couldn't get time off. Two more guys were also busy farming and asked if we had enough could they not come, as they were to use there terms, "flat out". So on Tuesday evening we had 7 of the 19 players not able to come, and another 2 not wanting to unless we were stuck. It left us with no choice but to give a walkover, and im sure many clubs are in the same boat, hovering above the 15 players but this time of year is a nightmare to get lads to the field with holidays and working. Maybe timing of the competition could be looked at, but I do agree it should return to u21 and be knockout with maybe first round knockouts getting a second chance. I think lads enjoy the knockout style of the competition aswell.

BostonRedSox (Wexford) - Posts: 61 - 30/06/2018 12:22:03    2116842

Link

Similar story with my club. We have a panel of 20, 4 lads have medium term injuries (broken fingers etc). 2 were working and 2 on holidays. If it can't go back to under 21 then it should be abolished altogether

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 30/06/2018 14:24:18    2116855

Link

is u20/u21 really needed as a grade?any chap at 18 is able to make an adult team of some sort,and lets face it if he is not u20 is not going to be the saviour.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 02/07/2018 11:07:46    2117584

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "is u20/u21 really needed as a grade?any chap at 18 is able to make an adult team of some sort,and lets face it if he is not u20 is not going to be the saviour."
The problem is dropout and how to prevent it. If you look at U20 you have three years from U17s to combine into one, where do all those players disappear to? they stop playing. Not every kid of 18yrs wants to play against adults and some are not ready. If clubs want to keep players in the field, the lads who play on the thirds or fourth team they have to keep lads playing beyond minor. The problem is clubs are just not interested and too often the U20/21 grade is seen as adult and the lads over those teams just want them to play junior. There needs to be a change in the way people think about what happens after U17s, too often the thinking is sure I played junior when I was 14 they should be well capable of doing it. Think about how many of the lads you played minor with never went onto play adult and ask the question why.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1000 - 02/07/2018 11:45:51    2117620

Link

Replying To zinny:  "The problem is dropout and how to prevent it. If you look at U20 you have three years from U17s to combine into one, where do all those players disappear to? they stop playing. Not every kid of 18yrs wants to play against adults and some are not ready. If clubs want to keep players in the field, the lads who play on the thirds or fourth team they have to keep lads playing beyond minor. The problem is clubs are just not interested and too often the U20/21 grade is seen as adult and the lads over those teams just want them to play junior. There needs to be a change in the way people think about what happens after U17s, too often the thinking is sure I played junior when I was 14 they should be well capable of doing it. Think about how many of the lads you played minor with never went onto play adult and ask the question why."
why?college,women,drink.
coupled with stupid things like drink bans,no fixed calendar,etc,it is not that surprising.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 02/07/2018 14:03:30    2117712

Link

It is reaching epidemic levels at this stage I fear.

Just within the last week my own club were due to play 2 x u17 hurling matches and 1 x u20 football match and all 3 other clubs conceded. One of these clubs has also got players joining them for the year from a neighboring club.

A lot of it is how the fixtures are being made, we as a club were expected to play an u17 hurling game this Saturday morning at 11am for example until the Wexford game being fixed for Saturday put paid to that.

But also a lot of it comes down the clubs, I know one club who played in an u16 county semi final last year with a full panel who some 5 months later were withdrawing from u17 which is the exact same team. How do you go from having a full panel getting to a semi final to having no one within 5 months of off season?

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 847 - 12/07/2018 08:50:02    2120879

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "the wexford gaa results page today makes for sad reading.
the amount of walkovers is appalling.34 walkovers in the last 10 days.
u20 hurling,clubs like askamore,glynn-barntown,gorey,new ross,faythe harriers,monagear giving walk overs.what is going on?a town the size of gorey,wexford and new ross?harriers cant field a junior b team?buffers alley walk over in division 4-that their 2nd team?marshelstown in junior b hurling?another 2nd team?craanford in division 1a of hurling-the top grade?
it is holiday season,but the same clubs who whinge and moan all summer about no games,dont seem to be able to field even 15 players?
what is going wrong?is the attitude so indifferent that nobody in clubs care?
do we need a summer closed season?i thought this was prime hurling and football season.
the people i despair for are the people who probably reluctantly manage these teams."
Buffers Alley's 3rd Team are in division 4, which is two, if not three divisions too high for the team. The 2nd team is in division 3. They got their by getting to two finals in a row without winning either. They have had retirements in the meantime and have opted to play practice games against teams at their level and not to play the league games because they know the inevitable thrashings would be demoralising.

ourballref (Wexford) - Posts: 5 - 12/07/2018 11:54:12    2120946

Link

Another 9 walkovers last night. Format really needs to change. Go back to under 21 knockout

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1214 - 12/07/2018 12:26:43    2120962

Link

Pretty simple, u20 championship back to U21. Back to district knockout or even just divisions, , if you get bet, there would be a back door to get back into the championship. So you would get two games. Less chance of walkovers, less matches. At the end of the day if someone is only half interested, they are eventually going to stop playing anyways so I dont think you can do much about it.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 193 - 12/07/2018 15:14:01    2121030

Link

Taghmon are joined with Adamstown for under 20. Its actually dreadful that these two football clubs BETWEEN them couldn't get 15 players to play a football match last night. That's only 7/8 from each club across 4 age groups.

Same story with Mogueen Gaels (Fethard and Clongeen I'm guessing?) Again TWO football clubs between them couldn't field a team?

What is happening

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1214 - 12/07/2018 17:50:51    2121084

Link

This under 20 idea clearly isn't working, and I believe its the result of the spate of under-age amalgamations we've had in recent years. Many club mentors seem to believe that players will improve by playing at a higher level. To compete at that higher level they feel they must amalgamate with a neighbouring club. This results in SOME players ( from each club) competing at the desired higher level, but many players are subsequently lost to the game due to lack of games.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 383 - 12/07/2018 22:42:48    2121176

Link

i would always say if you have the numbers play for yourself at lower level,the problem is some clubs have a win at all costs mentality which loses what would be number 10-20 on the team/panel.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 13/07/2018 12:50:39    2121306

Link

im told by a lad here this evening has been 85 walkovers given in all grades since june 1st 44 in hurling 41 in football granted he did not show proof, he said he has been counting them, so i dont know if its correct but id say he is not out by many

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1957 - 19/07/2018 20:30:11    2123863

Link

Players constantly giving out about having no games, but then not turning up to play them.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1214 - 19/07/2018 21:03:28    2123871

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "im told by a lad here this evening has been 85 walkovers given in all grades since june 1st 44 in hurling 41 in football granted he did not show proof, he said he has been counting them, so i dont know if its correct but id say he is not out by many"
Sure who cares they are all pointless meaning less games

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1407 - 20/07/2018 09:33:42    2123945

Link