Louth Forum

Need For Increased Games Development Administrator Numbers?

(Oldest Posts First)

Why are our underage teams, right up to U20's this week, getting such hidings this year and over the previous 5-10year period?

There are 9 GDA staff that cannot possibly be adequately coping with teaching and identifying improved training skills, standards in all the clubs throughout 2 large areas of Dundalk and Drogheda and clubs dispersed rurally, not forgetting most importantly all the schools.

Is it a viable and realistic need to create a further 10-15 full time paid GDA's to try and improve the promotion and skills standard of GAA in these clubs and schools?

The losses, and level of losses incurred by U17's, U20's and even seniors with the influx o younger players in that panel would counter-argue the belief in some high-up parts of our County that WEE are recognised standard bearers of best practice envied through Leinster and making strides in the right direction in building for the future.

Have we a problem that we're simply not addressing and refuse to discuss?

logic2010 (Louth) - Posts: 180 - 30/05/2019 20:27:24    2189219

Link

Replying To logic2010:  "Why are our underage teams, right up to U20's this week, getting such hidings this year and over the previous 5-10year period?

There are 9 GDA staff that cannot possibly be adequately coping with teaching and identifying improved training skills, standards in all the clubs throughout 2 large areas of Dundalk and Drogheda and clubs dispersed rurally, not forgetting most importantly all the schools.

Is it a viable and realistic need to create a further 10-15 full time paid GDA's to try and improve the promotion and skills standard of GAA in these clubs and schools?

The losses, and level of losses incurred by U17's, U20's and even seniors with the influx o younger players in that panel would counter-argue the belief in some high-up parts of our County that WEE are recognised standard bearers of best practice envied through Leinster and making strides in the right direction in building for the future.

Have we a problem that we're simply not addressing and refuse to discuss?"
Clubs need to take matters out of the hands of the county board and hire part time coaches themselves who work within the local primary schools and take extra training sessions. Too many clubs are obsessed with facilities and 2nd pitches rather than the standard of coaching that their kids receive.

How can you expect a child to play for 1 hour a week and learn even the most basic skills?

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 83 - 10/06/2019 12:04:41    2192768

Link

Replying To LemonySnickett:  "Clubs need to take matters out of the hands of the county board and hire part time coaches themselves who work within the local primary schools and take extra training sessions. Too many clubs are obsessed with facilities and 2nd pitches rather than the standard of coaching that their kids receive.

How can you expect a child to play for 1 hour a week and learn even the most basic skills?"
why do the clubs need to hiring coaches this is a voluntary organisation and lads going off to a couple of coaching courses and buying a set of cones think they have the right to be now charging for there skills is a joke.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 204 - 10/06/2019 13:15:08    2192847

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "why do the clubs need to hiring coaches this is a voluntary organisation and lads going off to a couple of coaching courses and buying a set of cones think they have the right to be now charging for there skills is a joke."
That is society people will only contribute if they feel they are getting something for it, I don't personally think it should be the case but if the senior manager is getting thousands others will think why should they volunteer all of their spare time for nothing. Dublin clubs mostly have their own coaches and club websites have manuals for skills and drills on their websites for interested parents to follow at home. We are eons behind clubs in dublin let alone their county set up.

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 83 - 10/06/2019 14:51:16    2192948

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "why do the clubs need to hiring coaches this is a voluntary organisation and lads going off to a couple of coaching courses and buying a set of cones think they have the right to be now charging for there skills is a joke."
If you think anything is voluntary in the GAA your in the wrong decade, those days are gone. Club underage is voluntary that's about it. All around the country in the biggest counties ie Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone etc etc and the majority of counties that want to compete are all paying the bucks. The game at county level has transformed into near professional level for the top tier counties in Football and Hurling. Have you ever seen the Dublin backroom staff? They have enough for a full team and 5 subs. Nobody does something for nothing anymore.
I'm not saying we should take out loans to get the money and pay because there is zero interest from our county to progress to the zone that we are even serious about competing. Our CB think it's grand and maybe some day we will trip our way into a Leinster final and happy days things aren't so bad. Unfortunately you need to be spending money to even get into the competing zone and we simply do not. We do next to no Fundraising in the county, we have zero ambition, no Captain on the ship. We are getting stuffed at senior level right the way down. We have lads leaving the senior panel and one of the reasons was he wasn't getting any kit.
We have lads in u20's turning up like a ragtag bunch all in different gear, mostly club gear...to the sheer amazement of the opposition. We have hurlers being told no money for food after an away match.
We are a laughing stock and I'm ashamed to put on a Louth Jersey on holidays.
I'm not the man to fix it, I wish I had the level of football knowledge for coaching or managing but my god we are so far off the mark I think we should be like Kilkenny and not even bother with a senior team

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 111 - 10/06/2019 15:57:23    2193011

Link

Get your local club to push this issue hard. Your county board need to be shouting from the rooftops both to croke park and the national media

Point out how you've the two biggest towns in Ireland and face huge competition from soccer but also other sports. Demand your funds from Croker are quadrupled with the aim at investing in all things underage from clubs to underage County teams both hurling and football.

Stress that Dublin have received well over their fair share and some the funds you require should come from money that is usually allocated to them. It's the only way for real change. But I feel your county board won't dare open your mouth as they are looking for a few million for the new stadium. I fear the meath county board are the same. What's the point in nice new stadiums if we're not getting the development money we deserve.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 10/06/2019 17:20:44    2193080

Link

Replying To PointRoad:  "If you think anything is voluntary in the GAA your in the wrong decade, those days are gone. Club underage is voluntary that's about it. All around the country in the biggest counties ie Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone etc etc and the majority of counties that want to compete are all paying the bucks. The game at county level has transformed into near professional level for the top tier counties in Football and Hurling. Have you ever seen the Dublin backroom staff? They have enough for a full team and 5 subs. Nobody does something for nothing anymore.
I'm not saying we should take out loans to get the money and pay because there is zero interest from our county to progress to the zone that we are even serious about competing. Our CB think it's grand and maybe some day we will trip our way into a Leinster final and happy days things aren't so bad. Unfortunately you need to be spending money to even get into the competing zone and we simply do not. We do next to no Fundraising in the county, we have zero ambition, no Captain on the ship. We are getting stuffed at senior level right the way down. We have lads leaving the senior panel and one of the reasons was he wasn't getting any kit.
We have lads in u20's turning up like a ragtag bunch all in different gear, mostly club gear...to the sheer amazement of the opposition. We have hurlers being told no money for food after an away match.
We are a laughing stock and I'm ashamed to put on a Louth Jersey on holidays.
I'm not the man to fix it, I wish I had the level of football knowledge for coaching or managing but my god we are so far off the mark I think we should be like Kilkenny and not even bother with a senior team"
You seem to have forgotten the size of our county, the different sports offered to our children, and also the sacrifices that are being put in by the people at the 'top table'. Comparing Dublin's income to Louths is like comparing Arsenal to Dundalk. People forget that we have a sponsor, who is known by sports clubs around the world. We have acquired the sponsorship of a leading company in sports statistics. Any county with this sponsorship would be delighted. We have to understand that we are not Dublin, and any sponsorship no matter how large a company, will never give us as much as Dublin.However, we still want more. I understand your views on Fundraising, however, we do not have the population, interests within our own county regarding GAA. We can fundraise, and I'm sure in time we will, however, do I think money is the real issue here with regards how teams perform? I'm sure Wayne Kierans, Aidan Shevlin and the rest of Management from Senior Footballers, hurlers and right through to the underage structures were given what they asked for.

I see others here, and on other social networks blaming the underage structure. Francie Mc Mullen, Shane Lennon and all other coaches have devoted their time and efforts over the last number of years. This was evident in our U18, 21 and seniors getting to Leinster Finals all within the last 9 years. Many minor teams within that time have reached the semi final stage. We need to be realistic in what we can achieve as a county. We are competing with three Rugby teams within the county. Two League of Ireland clubs, along with numerous soccer clubs. Children have now taken interests in other sports such as athletics, gymnastics, MMA to name a few. I will stress again the importance of Francie Mc Mullen, Shane Lennon and the rest of their coaching team. Each day throughout the year they have coaches doing their best and devoting their time in coaching in schools and camps.

We are also forgetting the league campaign that we have had. Nobody expected Louth to do so well. Three months ago, the only issue people had was the "County Grounds". However, people are now suggesting scrap the county grounds and use the money for coaching, gear etc. A certain Journalist, who I feel is trying to make a name for himself, is the one feeding this negative vibes on social media and through his media outlet. This in turn is having a negative affect on our players and management. They devote their time and efforts for 9 months of the year. They do not need peoples negative comments either on social media or from the 'hill' on Saturday. It is easy for himself to write articles regarding coaches, players and board members. However, I find them very personal towards players, management and in particular our county chairman.

Labelle1234 (Louth) - Posts: 3 - 11/06/2019 08:08:30    2193313

Link

Replying To Labelle1234:  "You seem to have forgotten the size of our county, the different sports offered to our children, and also the sacrifices that are being put in by the people at the 'top table'. Comparing Dublin's income to Louths is like comparing Arsenal to Dundalk. People forget that we have a sponsor, who is known by sports clubs around the world. We have acquired the sponsorship of a leading company in sports statistics. Any county with this sponsorship would be delighted. We have to understand that we are not Dublin, and any sponsorship no matter how large a company, will never give us as much as Dublin.However, we still want more. I understand your views on Fundraising, however, we do not have the population, interests within our own county regarding GAA. We can fundraise, and I'm sure in time we will, however, do I think money is the real issue here with regards how teams perform? I'm sure Wayne Kierans, Aidan Shevlin and the rest of Management from Senior Footballers, hurlers and right through to the underage structures were given what they asked for.

I see others here, and on other social networks blaming the underage structure. Francie Mc Mullen, Shane Lennon and all other coaches have devoted their time and efforts over the last number of years. This was evident in our U18, 21 and seniors getting to Leinster Finals all within the last 9 years. Many minor teams within that time have reached the semi final stage. We need to be realistic in what we can achieve as a county. We are competing with three Rugby teams within the county. Two League of Ireland clubs, along with numerous soccer clubs. Children have now taken interests in other sports such as athletics, gymnastics, MMA to name a few. I will stress again the importance of Francie Mc Mullen, Shane Lennon and the rest of their coaching team. Each day throughout the year they have coaches doing their best and devoting their time in coaching in schools and camps.

We are also forgetting the league campaign that we have had. Nobody expected Louth to do so well. Three months ago, the only issue people had was the "County Grounds". However, people are now suggesting scrap the county grounds and use the money for coaching, gear etc. A certain Journalist, who I feel is trying to make a name for himself, is the one feeding this negative vibes on social media and through his media outlet. This in turn is having a negative affect on our players and management. They devote their time and efforts for 9 months of the year. They do not need peoples negative comments either on social media or from the 'hill' on Saturday. It is easy for himself to write articles regarding coaches, players and board members. However, I find them very personal towards players, management and in particular our county chairman."
I agree with you on a lot of the points you make here and in particular about the Journalist, I commend all the people you mention and are with you on our possible targets, we are going to be constantly up and down and always have been, I do however disagree with you about the top table, they are the ones that need to ensure we can be the best we can be and they are not facilitating that and are doing a disservice to our players and coaches, you cant deny some of our teams have been restricted due to costs in terms of training etc. ? Why weren't the 20's allowed train after Christmas? Why did they have to wait till March? If this so called journalist had any guts he would have called these people out instead of going after the bread and butter of Louth GAA. Any way its good to debate this and you do offer a balanced view rather than the normal rhetoric.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 98 - 11/06/2019 09:53:33    2193356

Link

Replying To Chubby:  "I agree with you on a lot of the points you make here and in particular about the Journalist, I commend all the people you mention and are with you on our possible targets, we are going to be constantly up and down and always have been, I do however disagree with you about the top table, they are the ones that need to ensure we can be the best we can be and they are not facilitating that and are doing a disservice to our players and coaches, you cant deny some of our teams have been restricted due to costs in terms of training etc. ? Why weren't the 20's allowed train after Christmas? Why did they have to wait till March? If this so called journalist had any guts he would have called these people out instead of going after the bread and butter of Louth GAA. Any way its good to debate this and you do offer a balanced view rather than the normal rhetoric."
I agree with you 100%. Why didn't our u20s get training early on? Maybe the fact that the competition only started in June would be the reason. 6Months is a long time to train for a minimum 3 games. Its also disheartening when your team loses its main players to the senior squad and are ineligible therefore to line out with former team mates.

Exactly, we will always be up and down, we simple aren't able to compete consistently like the 'super 8s'. We do need to be realistic. When the draw was made for the championship, we knew we could beat Wexford, and after that see how we could do in the qualifiers. Unfortunately for us, it simply didn't go our way on Saturday, and this year Antrim and up. Lets not forget the league as I Mentioned before. Of course change is needed at the top table and the man who challenged the main guy this year would of been the most suitable candidate to get these types of topics up and running. I think we need to get behind the management team, the players, the coaches and the panel selected with regard the County Grounds. These should be our focus. As previously mentioned, no way should a certain Journalist create such negativity and attack people personally. These people devote their nights and most possibly their days to Louth Football. As I always say, a player doesn't line out and play bad on purpose. Same regarding higher officers, they aren't doing this to destroy our county teams.

Labelle1234 (Louth) - Posts: 3 - 11/06/2019 10:56:21    2193392

Link

Replying To Labelle1234:  "You seem to have forgotten the size of our county, the different sports offered to our children, and also the sacrifices that are being put in by the people at the 'top table'. Comparing Dublin's income to Louths is like comparing Arsenal to Dundalk. People forget that we have a sponsor, who is known by sports clubs around the world. We have acquired the sponsorship of a leading company in sports statistics. Any county with this sponsorship would be delighted. We have to understand that we are not Dublin, and any sponsorship no matter how large a company, will never give us as much as Dublin.However, we still want more. I understand your views on Fundraising, however, we do not have the population, interests within our own county regarding GAA. We can fundraise, and I'm sure in time we will, however, do I think money is the real issue here with regards how teams perform? I'm sure Wayne Kierans, Aidan Shevlin and the rest of Management from Senior Footballers, hurlers and right through to the underage structures were given what they asked for.

We are also forgetting the league campaign that we have had. Nobody expected Louth to do so well. Three months ago, the only issue people had was the "County Grounds". However, people are now suggesting scrap the county grounds and use the money for coaching, gear etc. A certain Journalist, who I feel is trying to make a name for himself, is the one feeding this negative vibes on social media and through his media outlet. This in turn is having a negative affect on our players and management. They devote their time and efforts for 9 months of the year. They do not need peoples negative comments either on social media or from the 'hill' on Saturday. It is easy for himself to write articles regarding coaches, players and board members. However, I find them very personal towards players, management and in particular our county chairman."
Size of the county, we have a decent population in comparison to some counties, yes we play a lot of sports in Louth and yes GAA is falling behind Soccer and just ahead of rugby but what I'm trying too say is go back 15 years ago and soccer was number 1 in Dublin.the GAA address it on a massive scale and now it's completely reversed reaping rewards. Why can't co Louth get some of that action, obviously the scale is different and I don't expect to win all Ireland's but at least be competing. We need direct HQ intervention because we are a unique county as well with 2 League of Ireland teams, in 2 towns 20 miles apart with near similar 30k populations. There is no League of Ireland teams in a lot of counties and we have 2!
Louths have a good sponsor although we gained Statsport in 2017 before they hit it big, I don't know how much they sponsor us for but obviously it's great with local men and the helm of that.
And no underage teams have not gotten what they ask for and as far to say the Louth Hurlers were not provided with food after an away match. Basic stuff here and constant complaints over kit which again is basic level stuff here.
I don't feel the top table are for for purpose to be honest, too much has gone wrong and the slide is getting longer, we are like a rag tag organisation and that's what you will get. I don't see a hunger in young generation to want to play for Louth. That's startling to me, hopefully these grounds get built and at least we will have a home and some sort of pride. Those lads you mention dong great work but I read from Seamus oHanlon that in Tullyallen primary school with approx 500 kids there is in hour of coaching allocated per week. ONE HOUR per week....let that sink in, he commends Shane Lennon and it's not Shane's fault but just digest that for a minute.
As for the players I'm sure a lot of them are good lads but it's well known that a lot of them where out the weekend of the champions league final. Close the door on your way out

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 111 - 11/06/2019 16:24:18    2193568

Link

Thank you for taking your time to get back to me. However, judging by your ending, you take only your own views into perspective and devalue others.

Looking at your response, you have strong views that the GAA should step in and try and over rule a sport which is played by millions and watched by billions. As a child, they are exposed to soccer more throughout the year. Any sports shop they enter, they can avail of the numerous teams gear. Online games are also available. Asking the higher authority to intervene with regards soccer in our county is a bit obscene.

Statsport was also well known and recognized long before they agreed to support their local county. Whatever their contribution to our teams and county should be welcomed with open arms. I also commend the top table for getting such a high profile sponsor, especially being from a 'weaker' county.

You seem fixated on the fact that hurlers and teams don't get any food or gear. A point which is probably the least of our worries. I am confused as to what you think is important for the county if you keep relating to such 'small' issues. With regards wanting to play for your county. Many players are know leaving the sport as it is unrewarding. Giving up their time four nights a week for even a club team, and then travelling on a weekend is becoming less appealing. I can understand why people would give up the sport, or any sport.

And finally, your point regarding coaching 500 kids in 1 hour. Schools are allocated coaches, and in turn are given classes by the school. What you don't factor in is that this school is a large school. If you were to give coaching to each class, that's 24 on average in each class, that would make 20 hours of coaching each week for that school. What about other rural schools then? Should we give a full time coach to this school and leave the other ones behind? Maybe this is what you want, full time coaches in schools. However, in doing so, Louth would be the first in the country. And don't forget the cost of a coach, multiply it by the amount of schools in Louth. That salary my Friend would be scary!

Labelle1234 (Louth) - Posts: 3 - 12/06/2019 08:36:48    2193800

Link

Replying To Labelle1234:  "Thank you for taking your time to get back to me. However, judging by your ending, you take only your own views into perspective and devalue others.

Looking at your response, you have strong views that the GAA should step in and try and over rule a sport which is played by millions and watched by billions. As a child, they are exposed to soccer more throughout the year. Any sports shop they enter, they can avail of the numerous teams gear. Online games are also available. Asking the higher authority to intervene with regards soccer in our county is a bit obscene.

Statsport was also well known and recognized long before they agreed to support their local county. Whatever their contribution to our teams and county should be welcomed with open arms. I also commend the top table for getting such a high profile sponsor, especially being from a 'weaker' county.

You seem fixated on the fact that hurlers and teams don't get any food or gear. A point which is probably the least of our worries. I am confused as to what you think is important for the county if you keep relating to such 'small' issues. With regards wanting to play for your county. Many players are know leaving the sport as it is unrewarding. Giving up their time four nights a week for even a club team, and then travelling on a weekend is becoming less appealing. I can understand why people would give up the sport, or any sport.

And finally, your point regarding coaching 500 kids in 1 hour. Schools are allocated coaches, and in turn are given classes by the school. What you don't factor in is that this school is a large school. If you were to give coaching to each class, that's 24 on average in each class, that would make 20 hours of coaching each week for that school. What about other rural schools then? Should we give a full time coach to this school and leave the other ones behind? Maybe this is what you want, full time coaches in schools. However, in doing so, Louth would be the first in the country. And don't forget the cost of a coach, multiply it by the amount of schools in Louth. That salary my Friend would be scary!"
I don't really get some of these arguments to be honest. Of course, competing against soccer is difficult as it is the biggest sport worldwide. Ok then, by that logic, we should have no advantage/disadvantage to other counties as they also have tvs, sports shops and soccer clubs.

The coaching stuctures just ain't up to scratch in this county. That is not to say that we don't have many good coaches because we do.

The biggest problem in this county is the culture compared to other counties. And I'm sorry to say that the county board do not lead by example here. That is why something which seems trivial (such as the county hurlers not receiving food and gear) is actually a huge deal as it sets the tone for the lack of a professional, organised approach at the top table. Players are certainly turning away from the game at senior level because of irregular fixture schedules....very irregular. Off the top of my head, I could think of a half dozen potential starters for my club who only play junior or do not play at all because of this.

I think the point about school is why there is a need for Croke Park to step in and start funding more coaches per child in underperforming counties to help redress a imbalance that clearly exists. But before they do, they should insist that our house is in order.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 406 - 12/06/2019 16:30:23    2194015

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "I don't really get some of these arguments to be honest. Of course, competing against soccer is difficult as it is the biggest sport worldwide. Ok then, by that logic, we should have no advantage/disadvantage to other counties as they also have tvs, sports shops and soccer clubs.

The coaching stuctures just ain't up to scratch in this county. That is not to say that we don't have many good coaches because we do.

The biggest problem in this county is the culture compared to other counties. And I'm sorry to say that the county board do not lead by example here. That is why something which seems trivial (such as the county hurlers not receiving food and gear) is actually a huge deal as it sets the tone for the lack of a professional, organised approach at the top table. Players are certainly turning away from the game at senior level because of irregular fixture schedules....very irregular. Off the top of my head, I could think of a half dozen potential starters for my club who only play junior or do not play at all because of this.

I think the point about school is why there is a need for Croke Park to step in and start funding more coaches per child in underperforming counties to help redress a imbalance that clearly exists. But before they do, they should insist that our house is in order."
CULTURE!!!

This is the problem with Louth GAA. This is what needs changing

Itsme (Louth) - Posts: 402 - 12/06/2019 17:45:02    2194052

Link

Welcome to the forum Labelle1234.
Seems a little strange that someone with such strong views hasn't posted before yesterday ?
I'm unclear what your references to soccer, sportshops, online games, Statsports etc have to do with this forum topic which is increasing our coaching staff numbers. Are you trying to confuse the issue?

The facts are.
1. Underage coaching in the clubs is a mess.
2. Coaching in Primary & Secondary schools is almost non-existant
3. Louth's Ogsports model is simply not working. Clubs have lost interest and many don't take part.
4. Participation levels in clubs at underage is falling .... and please don't mention increased Cul Camp numbers as parents only use them for cheap gear/schoolbags and as a convenient weeks babysitting service.

What is being done to address these glaringly obvious coaching problems?

Our County Board has chosen not to follow the model which firstly worked successfully in Dublin and which has now been rolled out to the other East Leinster counties Meath Kildare and Wicklow. This involves clubs part funding a full-time coach to work within their individual clubs and schools to improve standards. The balance of the coach funding is covered by the County Boards and money made available through a special Croke Park managed East Leinster fund. Larger clubs may be able to afford and employ a coach solely for themselves while smaller clubs may have to group together geographically and share. Meath club Colmcilles on the south side of Drogheda have a full-time coach specifically dedicated to schools and underage coaching. When my club on the north side of Drogheda enquired about the possibility of a similar arrangement we were told it was not available in Louth.
Someone is responsible for making this decisions. Questions need to be asked why?

On the point of the Coaching and Games staff 'doing their best and devoting their time to schools and camps'. I agree that Shane Lennon and other coaching staff do a good job but that is what they are paid to do. I know I'm being harsh here but its their full time job. Whoever is responsible for running the Ogsport Model must be aware that it is failing. Attendances alone would indicate that. A thorough review needs to take place to establish how were are using our existing coaching resources - what is working and what is not, what gaps exist and what additional resources are needed. There has to be a starting point. We need to take our heads out of the sand.

northroader (Louth) - Posts: 113 - 12/06/2019 17:46:05    2194054

Link

Im saying it a while now..our coaching staff are NOT good enough..they are there to long and have produced f##k all if were honest..people can post here how good they are but I say show me the proof and result and what type of players we produce and I tell u were a million miles behind even the so call lesser counties.we need to get real..im not been disrespectful to anyone and appreciate what they do and maybe with funding behind them they might do better but at present their hitting their heads off a brick wall but at present im sorry it just aint working

Singingtheblues (Louth) - Posts: 45 - 12/06/2019 22:59:46    2194201

Link

Replying To Labelle1234:  "Thank you for taking your time to get back to me. However, judging by your ending, you take only your own views into perspective and devalue others.

And finally, your point regarding coaching 500 kids in 1 hour. Schools are allocated coaches, and in turn are given classes by the school. What you don't factor in is that this school is a large school. If you were to give coaching to each class, that's 24 on average in each class, that would make 20 hours of coaching each week for that school. What about other rural schools then? Should we give a full time coach to this school and leave the other ones behind? Maybe this is what you want, full time coaches in schools. However, in doing so, Louth would be the first in the country. And don't forget the cost of a coach, multiply it by the amount of schools in Louth. That salary my Friend would be scary!"
these small issues like player welfare are why the best players and coaches do not want to be involved with our county teams, so I think you might be a tad wrong in thinking these are trivial issues.

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 83 - 13/06/2019 10:40:28    2194289

Link

Replying To LemonySnickett:  "these small issues like player welfare are why the best players and coaches do not want to be involved with our county teams, so I think you might be a tad wrong in thinking these are trivial issues."
Correct and right...if we can't get the basics right what hope have we got.

PointRoad (Louth) - Posts: 111 - 13/06/2019 15:05:14    2194471

Link

This is a result of getting rid of the Cumanns about 10 years ago. Underage was far more competitive and far more participation when it was local and then all county at u14.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 204 - 14/06/2019 08:53:17    2194707

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "This is a result of getting rid of the Cumanns about 10 years ago. Underage was far more competitive and far more participation when it was local and then all county at u14."
I agree 100%, The Cumanns were the bedrock of every club. Its time people admitted that it was a mistake to get rid of the Cumanns and bring them back.

smokey (Louth) - Posts: 36 - 14/06/2019 12:15:44    2194801

Link

Replying To smokey:  "I agree 100%, The Cumanns were the bedrock of every club. Its time people admitted that it was a mistake to get rid of the Cumanns and bring them back."
They were got rid of by the previous chairman if my memory serves me right. We really have had poor leadership now for the guts of 10 years, Reaping what we sow now.

Chubby (Louth) - Posts: 98 - 14/06/2019 13:24:16    2194823

Link