National Forum

RTE.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Saynothing:  "What's the story with RTÉ, every time you tune in for match, it's women giving their opinion. Mute button on standby."
its sill 1920 up with u, its 2020 for the rest of us

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1932 - 30/11/2020 12:31:25    2316876

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Agreed so many times when galway were a div 2 team and they were deemed good enough to get a bit of analysis that the main sunday game panelists didnt know their name outside of Comer and Conroy. I remember and instance where the guest commentator had to correct whelan on who he was talking about. They earn a very decent wage out of rte and get a lot of work off the back of being on there have the decency to learn a lads name off regardless of him not being in a div 1 team."
You are so right there Gatha. Limerick have beaten Tipp in three of the last four championship matches they played and five times in the last eight years. Why would our boys fear them, when we struggled to beat Galway in '18 and indeed did again yesterday.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2472 - 30/11/2020 12:44:01    2316882

Link

I would be of the same view as most of the above posts in relation to RTEs coverage of hurling, in particular. I tuned in to RTE for both of the semi-finals over the weekend but quickly changed to SKY when I saw that Donal Og Cusack was on the panel both days. He certainly seems to be RTE's favourite son at the moment, which I find difficult to understand. He has also taken over from Michael Duignan on the Morning Irleland Friday slot. I must say I find it hard to listen to his pontifications. Ollie Canning and JJ Delaney, along with jamesie O'Connor are much more insightful on SKY. although I disagreed with their choice of man of the match yesterday.

Maybe I'm getting old but I also find Marty Morrissey grating on the ears. His knowledge of hurling is limited but that doesn't prevent him from bluffing his way through a game. His performance on the Galway-Tipp camogie match was particularly annoying. At one stage a Tipp player executed a perfect handpass but was correctly pulled by the referee because she dropped her hurley, but Marty's conclusion was that she had thrown the ball! He regularly tells us that a free has been brought forward for dissent when it is clear that the refereee is punishing a player for preventing a quick free. He frequently identifies players wrongly which may be understandable if both are wearing the same colour helmets, but not when they hold the hurley differently. (Example: Brendan Maher and Niall O'Meara of Tipp}. And his latest favourite phrase comes to the surface a few times in every game: "Never in doubt", he exclaims when a player points a free, even if he has missed an easy one just minutes before!

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 226 - 30/11/2020 16:14:09    2317014

Link

Replying To gatha:  "Not a Davy fan but have t admit he was very good last night."
Agree with you there.
Not a great fan but have to admit that he was sincere in his analysis and his appreciation of the nightmare that 2020 has been and hence the joy we are getting from the coverage of our National games.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 156 - 30/11/2020 16:24:37    2317019

Link

Rte six1 news this evening, 4 mins on a delted tweet by Brian Stanley, and the dup's writing to the Ceann Comhairle,
later 90 secs on the british govs refusal to hold a public inquiry into the murder of Pat Finucane, that tells you all you need to know about Rte and the 'southern' media.
I suppose they'll have the leader of the opposition Alan Kelly on later.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1084 - 30/11/2020 18:32:38    2317083

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Rte six1 news this evening, 4 mins on a delted tweet by Brian Stanley, and the dup's writing to the Ceann Comhairle,
later 90 secs on the british govs refusal to hold a public inquiry into the murder of Pat Finucane, that tells you all you need to know about Rte and the 'southern' media.
I suppose they'll have the leader of the opposition Alan Kelly on later."
Aye, and if we say anything against the british we have our Royal correspondent and the like on here rubbishing Republicans and their supporters. Seen enough on Late Late shows over the years to know where RTE stand.They set Martin Mc Guinness and Gerry Adams up for a fall and then done the same to the Wolftones.

Saynothing (Tyrone) - Posts: 279 - 30/11/2020 20:16:10    2317136

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Rte six1 news this evening, 4 mins on a delted tweet by Brian Stanley, and the dup's writing to the Ceann Comhairle,
I suppose they'll have the leader of the opposition Alan Kelly on later."
We have a chattering class commentariat based in Dublin. Some of that commentariat work in RTÉ. Our Dublin based print media most especially Independent News and Media make up the vast bulk of that chattering class commentariat. They have always articulated a vicious antipathy towards nationalism and republicanism. This was highlighted once again when John Hume passed away. Independent News and Media's vicious treatment of John Hume when he was negotiating with Gerry Adams at the commencement of the Peace Process was discussed. Articles written at the time were resurrected. I remember them well. Independent News and Media endured an uncomfortable time of it but even after thirty years they did not have the decency to say that they got it wrong.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 5168 - 30/11/2020 21:13:41    2317156

Link