Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

National Forum

Dublin Vs Donegal

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Donegalman:  "Neither have Dublin nor Kerry. This is the first year we ever got this far without being tested by a tough team."
Dublin never play anyone until August, that has been the case for the last few years. Doesn't really affect them. In my eyes Donegal are still behind Dublin and Kerry, they may turn over my own county the way things are going but time will tell.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 8933 - 25/06/2018 18:45:06    2114873

Link

Replying To Northsidegaels:  "I think they're an excellent team and this should be a good game but the farce of allowing Dublin play neutral games in their home stadium will probably swing it in their favour. In typical Irish fashion everyone just stands back and accepts this madness there should be a revolt no other sport in the world sees this carry on"
The neutral venue argument can't be used for the Donegal /Dublin game as it was always the intention that the four provincial champions would play each other in Croke Park on the first weekend of the super 8's.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 25/06/2018 19:01:26    2114885

Link

Replying To AHP:  "The neutral venue argument can't be used for the Donegal /Dublin game as it was always the intention that the four provincial champions would play each other in Croke Park on the first weekend of the super 8's."
Just because it was always the intention to play in Croke Park doesn't make it any less lopsided.

The simple fact is that Dublin will have two home games while everyone else gets one. That is unfair & wrong.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5030 - 25/06/2018 21:16:13    2114980

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Just because it was always the intention to play in Croke Park doesn't make it any less lopsided.

The simple fact is that Dublin will have two home games while everyone else gets one. That is unfair & wrong."
I agree and I hope the team we play make the same stand as Kildare. We're crying out for big championship games away from CP.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 25/06/2018 21:57:18    2115016

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Great game to look forward to , I've been raving about donegal for awhile now , pace all over their team and brilliant players in the right position's.

This is going to go down to the wire , we don't have our best player anymore it makes a huge difference in the big games yes we've still outstanding players but Connolly can do things that non of the rest of them can.

Mchugh v McCaffrey Racing for the ball will be worth the admission fee also Eoin Ban v Mannion speed speed speed some battle.


Big bonus for Dublin was Costello yesterday he could have a big say on the super 8's."
I think you've summed it up very well. The Dublin forwards I always feared were Connolly and Brogan. In my view their best ever. Except for Kilkenny I don't rate the others in the same category or even close - they're good but the other two are exceptional. Costelloe I would have thought was Brogans heir apparent and I think he will have a big year. The other Dublin forward I'd fear doesn't actually start, namely Basquel. Like Paul Geaney he could find space in a phone box, can turn and kick of either foot and is arrow like accurate. Kilkenny aside I'd fancy us holding the Dublin forwards. Problem though is I can't see us getting much change out of the Dublin backs. Also, the half back line and midfield for Dublin will be very hard for us to contain and I think that's where Dublin will win out. A good showing in the S8's will bring us on further and leave the team well set for next year. Donegal might catch Dublin but for me Dublin by four, but hopefully no more!

DonegalAtlantic (Donegal) - Posts: 122 - 25/06/2018 22:04:03    2115023

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "I agree and I hope the team we play make the same stand as Kildare. We're crying out for big championship games away from CP."
I'd expect pigs flying before our county board kicks up a fuss

joeteor (Donegal) - Posts: 277 - 25/06/2018 22:06:05    2115024

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "I agree and I hope the team we play make the same stand as Kildare. We're crying out for big championship games away from CP."
I wasn't having a rattle at Dublin or their supporters, I know full well they enjoy travelling & bring great colour & noise with them wherever they go.

I am calling the administrators out on this. What is going on here is corruption plain & simple. Not corruption in the sense that anyone is lining their pocket but corruption in the sense that there is no sense of fairness & in the case of Kildare a complete disregard for their own processes when it suits.

The same happened here in Donegal last year when Kilcar played St Eunans in a reserve championship match at a "neutral venue" which turned out to be 5 miles from Letterkenny 61 miles from Kilcar & to add insult to injury we had to drive 5 miles past St Eunans ground to get to it.

I'm glad Kildare are making a stand against this nonsense, someone has to.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5030 - 25/06/2018 22:10:19    2115029

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Dublin never play anyone until August, that has been the case for the last few years. Doesn't really affect them. In my eyes Donegal are still behind Dublin and Kerry, they may turn over my own county the way things are going but time will tell."
You're right in my opinion. Donegal are not at the level of Dublin and Kerry and anyone suggesting otherwise is doing so on the basis of the last few games alone, although against that we all knew Tyrone and Galway were not that much better than us last year. Those hammering a were on foot of a miserable existence in the county squad last year. And to be honest against a battle hardened Mayo I'd not fancy our chances either. But our graph is going in the right direction.

DonegalAtlantic (Donegal) - Posts: 122 - 25/06/2018 22:10:26    2115030

Link

The pace and power Dublin have around the middle sector would worry me here. We have improved defensively but I still think we are very susceptible to pace down the middle. Anyways this will be a great experience to our young squad once we can avoid a demoralising loss. There is no doubt we have the players who can cause any of the top teams problems at the back so really interested to put this to the test against the top teams in the country.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2966 - 25/06/2018 23:10:05    2115083

Link

Firstly as regards the location - every game after the provincials be it S/F / Final and in the vast majority of cases Q/F has been played at CP. in theory all of these were neutral. Yes this suits Dublin but that's the way it has always been and that's the way it will continue to be and so be it The GAA have a revenue model and powers that be aint going to detail that.

I also suspect that days have been booked, permissions granted, Garda overtime organised etc etc so no rowing back now

As to the game, my concern is that it has come too early in the Donegal evolution/revolution.
In the league this year we played nice football but lost every game that was in
the balance. In Ulster this year we had a big bounce of luck in avoiding Monaghan/ Tyrone and hence haven't had to close out a tight game.

I would prefer to have a game v Mayo/Galway/Tyrone as a next step to see where we are and to test this young squad in a closer encounter. After that Kerry then Dublin are the bigger tests but maybe that's a year or two down the line before I'd have higher confidence.

I'm concerned about the amount of scores we concede against "weak teams" and also soft frees that would have resulted in a1000 press ups in the mcguinness era. Dublin could wreak havoc if we don't improve.

Against Down and Fermanagh we wreaked havoc in centre field. We won 9 from 10 kickouts against down in first half and on Sunday we won 70/80 percent again. The Down game was laughable as most of them were Down keeper kicking straight to Murphy/McFadden/ Mcloone
Cluxton to Fenton is a different universe.

I'm also worried about Bonner he has won Ulster at all age groups but seems to falter when the going gets tough. Last year v Dublin in U21 or in 2014 in the minor final. The game plan went flat in both

Anyway that's the bad thoughts out of the system. I'm loving the way we play - you can see players have a new lease of life Murphy in particular, Mcbrearty is now getting ball that is worthy of one of the best corner forwards in the game and we have a wealth of half forwards that can kick points versus 7 years of being a spare half back so who knows !!

ruanua (Donegal) - Posts: 4966 - 25/06/2018 23:30:59    2115102

Link

Replying To ruanua:  "Firstly as regards the location - every game after the provincials be it S/F / Final and in the vast majority of cases Q/F has been played at CP. in theory all of these were neutral. Yes this suits Dublin but that's the way it has always been and that's the way it will continue to be and so be it The GAA have a revenue model and powers that be aint going to detail that.

I also suspect that days have been booked, permissions granted, Garda overtime organised etc etc so no rowing back now

As to the game, my concern is that it has come too early in the Donegal evolution/revolution.
In the league this year we played nice football but lost every game that was in
the balance. In Ulster this year we had a big bounce of luck in avoiding Monaghan/ Tyrone and hence haven't had to close out a tight game.

I would prefer to have a game v Mayo/Galway/Tyrone as a next step to see where we are and to test this young squad in a closer encounter. After that Kerry then Dublin are the bigger tests but maybe that's a year or two down the line before I'd have higher confidence.

I'm concerned about the amount of scores we concede against "weak teams" and also soft frees that would have resulted in a1000 press ups in the mcguinness era. Dublin could wreak havoc if we don't improve.

Against Down and Fermanagh we wreaked havoc in centre field. We won 9 from 10 kickouts against down in first half and on Sunday we won 70/80 percent again. The Down game was laughable as most of them were Down keeper kicking straight to Murphy/McFadden/ Mcloone
Cluxton to Fenton is a different universe.

I'm also worried about Bonner he has won Ulster at all age groups but seems to falter when the going gets tough. Last year v Dublin in U21 or in 2014 in the minor final. The game plan went flat in both

Anyway that's the bad thoughts out of the system. I'm loving the way we play - you can see players have a new lease of life Murphy in particular, Mcbrearty is now getting ball that is worthy of one of the best corner forwards in the game and we have a wealth of half forwards that can kick points versus 7 years of being a spare half back so who knows !!"
Some excellent points. I think we have made hay from the opponents kickouts esp around midfield and this just ain't gonna happen against the Dubs. It will be interesting to see how the game plan measures up now out of Ulster. But I think Bonner have evolved no doubt down to the team he has around him so I don't foresee Donegal being 1 trick ponies tactically which u could accuse the underage teams of. Though I would give a pass on the game against the Dubs at U-21 last year. Very hard to really draw up and implement a plan with the turnaround going into that game. Sure some of the players did not get home till 2 or 3 am that night from the Athletic Grounds and then a 4 day turnaround with a day or 2 taken up by recovery.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2966 - 25/06/2018 23:46:45    2115111

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I always find it interesting that teams don't kick the high ball into the square as most teams are vulnerable to the high ball. It's all about possession these days and players are afraid to take a chance. However it is such an effective ploy. We already had the Eoin Donnelly goal for Fermanagh and Michael Quinlivan got one against Mayo, why don't more teams do it?"
But also Dublin are not as bad in the full back line as people make out.

What happens at the start is Dublin go one on one as they know they can out play anyone, and push up, and this exposes the full back line. If teams don't bog in high ball it stays this way. If teams do so consistently at the start Dublin drop a sweeper in front to plug the hole. S

But one on one that is a good fullback line

witnof (Dublin) - Posts: 1604 - 26/06/2018 09:49:13    2115193

Link

I really think we can give Dublin a good rattle so long as we're brave enough to go at them. Too many teams retreat against them and surrender possession and sit back. Then it just becomes a matter of time before the Dubs wear you down and ultimately pummel you into oblivion. Now granted few if many teams can match Dublin in the footballing and fitness/athleticism stakes (Mayo/Kerry/Galway? possibly) but I think we are getting near that bracket again.

Do we dare to push up on Cluxton's kickout? I think if we do, we're in for a cracking match. We may fall short but I think we'll learn more about how far along we are that way, than if we retreat en masse and inevitably lose.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 10483 - 26/06/2018 10:50:08    2115235

Link

Donegal will be a serious threat to Dublin, well capable of getting a result in my opinion, not sure if anyone remembers the league game at this stage, but only for Dublin racking up a decent score early doors the game was in the melting pot and Donegal did some serious damage in the second half and were the better team in it, ran dublin ragged int he second half.

Serious quality in the Donegal team, Murphy, McCloone, McHugh, Thompson, McBrearty and EBG are getting into any team in the country on sheer quality.

Would be surprised to see a semi final line up without Doengal in it.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4541 - 26/06/2018 10:52:01    2115237

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I really think we can give Dublin a good rattle so long as we're brave enough to go at them. Too many teams retreat against them and surrender possession and sit back. Then it just becomes a matter of time before the Dubs wear you down and ultimately pummel you into oblivion. Now granted few if many teams can match Dublin in the footballing and fitness/athleticism stakes (Mayo/Kerry/Galway? possibly) but I think we are getting near that bracket again.

Do we dare to push up on Cluxton's kickout? I think if we do, we're in for a cracking match. We may fall short but I think we'll learn more about how far along we are that way, than if we retreat en masse and inevitably lose."
I think we have to push up as much as we can, there's no point conceding possession automatically especially considering our defence has been far and away the weakest aspect of the team this year. If we allow the Dubs possession I don't think we'll be able to keep them out/turn them over, so in my opinion our best bet is trying to win primary possession off their kickouts and that means pushing up.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 26/06/2018 11:21:45    2115254

Link

Replying To ruanua:  "Firstly as regards the location - every game after the provincials be it S/F / Final and in the vast majority of cases Q/F has been played at CP. in theory all of these were neutral. Yes this suits Dublin but that's the way it has always been and that's the way it will continue to be and so be it The GAA have a revenue model and powers that be aint going to detail that.

I also suspect that days have been booked, permissions granted, Garda overtime organised etc etc so no rowing back now

As to the game, my concern is that it has come too early in the Donegal evolution/revolution.
In the league this year we played nice football but lost every game that was in
the balance. In Ulster this year we had a big bounce of luck in avoiding Monaghan/ Tyrone and hence haven't had to close out a tight game.

I would prefer to have a game v Mayo/Galway/Tyrone as a next step to see where we are and to test this young squad in a closer encounter. After that Kerry then Dublin are the bigger tests but maybe that's a year or two down the line before I'd have higher confidence.

I'm concerned about the amount of scores we concede against "weak teams" and also soft frees that would have resulted in a1000 press ups in the mcguinness era. Dublin could wreak havoc if we don't improve.

Against Down and Fermanagh we wreaked havoc in centre field. We won 9 from 10 kickouts against down in first half and on Sunday we won 70/80 percent again. The Down game was laughable as most of them were Down keeper kicking straight to Murphy/McFadden/ Mcloone
Cluxton to Fenton is a different universe.

I'm also worried about Bonner he has won Ulster at all age groups but seems to falter when the going gets tough. Last year v Dublin in U21 or in 2014 in the minor final. The game plan went flat in both

Anyway that's the bad thoughts out of the system. I'm loving the way we play - you can see players have a new lease of life Murphy in particular, Mcbrearty is now getting ball that is worthy of one of the best corner forwards in the game and we have a wealth of half forwards that can kick points versus 7 years of being a spare half back so who knows !!"
Great post Rua! One of the few posters on here that uses common sense and looks at things objectively!

DUBJOHN (Dublin) - Posts: 973 - 26/06/2018 11:29:56    2115262

Link

Replying To DUBJOHN:  "Great post Rua! One of the few posters on here that uses common sense and looks at things objectively!"
Says that stalwart of common sense & objectivity DUBJOHN!!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5030 - 26/06/2018 11:51:19    2115278

Link

It's great to get a crack at the Dubs, I'm less worried about playing them now that Connolly isn't there, hope we go for it and if we do get beat at least we'll die with our boots on, could be one of the games of the championship,
heart says Donegal, head says Dublin.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 3826 - 26/06/2018 11:53:16    2115281

Link

Paddy McBrearty has torn his cruciate ligament. Devastated for the lad. Massive massive blow to our chances of getting out of the group too.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1456 - 26/06/2018 12:15:33    2115300

Link

Replying To benjyyy:  "Paddy McBrearty has torn his cruciate ligament. Devastated for the lad. Massive massive blow to our chances of getting out of the group too."
What?! Ah no way Jesus that's sickening and him in the form of his life. Awful sorry to hear this. Hope he has a a speedy recovery in as much as one can from that type of injury. Tore the Dubs a new one in the league!! Immensely talented.

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 26/06/2018 12:21:10    2115305

Link