National Forum

Kerry v Dublin, All Ireland final 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Maybe Dublin only play one way but it's a good way. In fact they've fine-tuned their style from the 2013 success (after Donegal 2014) . Can talk about styles all we like but once your forwards take their chances when they get them , you're in a with a shout. Notably, Dub forwards are rarely wasteful this campaign. Extra bonus that Andrews and Kilkenny have stepped up as scoring threats.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 07/09/2015 15:04:48    1784055

Link

Ok folks,
Nice while it lasted but I'm finished with this site. It's redicilous the amount of posts not being put up. Considering posters put time in and go to the bother I think it's poor form the way they ignore certain comments that are perfectly reasonable.
All the best!

SLLY (Dublin) - Posts: 463 - 07/09/2015 15:24:00    1784069

Link

Well then you've nothing to worry about about Kingdomboy do ya!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 07/09/2015 15:42:57    1784081

Link

If anyone knows about psychological holds in gaelic football and how hard they are to break, it's the Mayo people. We haven't won Sam since 1951 and Kerry have been the team to block us most often, having really had our number ever since 1997. Since that year, last year was probably the first time where we genuinely felt we had the better team and were far more advanced but we still failed and Kerry simply believed.

We know Kerry people generally don't suffer from a lack for confidence when it comes to football but there have been occasionally teams over the decades who have got inside their heads and made them doubt themselves. Kerry are not immune themselves to the psychological hold.

Tyrone in the noughties were a good example - 3 times they met Kerry and 3 times Tyrone bet them and Kerry heads went into meltdown. A new decade has seen them begin to put the record straight. In truth, their victory in Killarney in 2012 was a hollow one. The psychological hold wasn't really thrown off until Kerry beat Tyrone in Croke Park this year. Kerry will respect Tyrone but they won't fear them like they did before - hold broken!

Dublin are and were the cockiest of football teams for years except when it came to Kerry who normally swatted them away like an errant fly for over 34 years. Remember Dublin hadn't beaten Kerry since 1977 until 2011. Dublin won in 2011 with a performance of sheer defiance that broke Kerry's psychological hold over them.

In fact, the Dublin team grew incredibly strong out of that victory, turning from a very good side into a great team. Dublin doubled the dose in 2013 playing Kerry at their own game with a swagger and were deserving 7 point winners. The game in 2013 confirmed for me the clear impression that the psychological hold had changed from Kerry over Dublin to Dublin over Kerry.

Dublin have defeated Kerry in two big championships games inside the last 5 years and they have no doubt now that they can beat them again. I really think Kerry will be a lot more worried about Dublin than Dublin about them. This is a great Dublin team and they will probably be confirmed as the greatest Dublin team of all time should they beat Kerry for the 3rd time inside 5 years. No Dublin team has done this before - not even there great 70s' side. I always felt once Dublin won in 2011 they had a team capable of winning 3 or 4 more All Ireland in this decade and they remain well on course to fulfil that belief.

I'm not writing off Kerry but I do think Dublin have a better team overall with far more pace and dynamic range. Dublin have the best goalkeeper in the country by a country mile and far stronger defence than Kerry's in my view. I think this will be a repeat of 2013 with the same result- Dublin in the end with a bit to spare.

Good luck to both sides and hope this final lives up to all the expectations.

JamesH (Mayo) - Posts: 465 - 07/09/2015 15:49:28    1784090

Link

Well then you've nothing to worry about about Kingdomboy do ya!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 07/09/2015 16:10:01    1784111

Link

Good post jamesh.I cudn't have put it better myself.Thats exactly how i feel.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 07/09/2015 16:15:21    1784121

Link

Just like Tyrone 2003-08 I expect Dublin to win their third All-Ireland in five years with their third win over Kerry. They must go down as a great team if they pull this off.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 07/09/2015 16:39:02    1784147

Link

I must be banned by HS for being honest in my posts again!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 07/09/2015 16:59:41    1784167

Link

A good post James with the exception that you don't mention that everyoine acknowledged at the time that the 2013 Kerry side were underdeveloped, newly managed and were probably expected to get a good hiding. The fact that we stayed in the game so long Vs the steam rolling Dubs was a pleasant surprise. 4 months later we were written off until the next crop arrived. Roll on 2 years and I certainly won't be happy to 'stay in touch'. We're bringing Sam up with 10 deadly forwards and we're going to bring him back home with us too.

thykingdomcome1 (Kerry) - Posts: 78 - 07/09/2015 17:05:48    1784173

Link

Thank god its Dublin..I would have been more worried about Mayo this year and if they held it together for another few minutes and added one or two more points when they were four points up then it would have been game over.

We threw the game away in 2011 and in 2013 we were not the team we are now. These are two totally different sides with Kerry having adapted there game to whoever we meet. Mayo had plenty chances to punish the dubs in both games and if we get a hold in midfield, push up on the Dublin keepers kickouts then I think our forwards will be much better then Mayo at punishing the dubs.

I can see us putting up a big score in the final however my worry is our full back line but I will trust Fitzmaurice to come up with a plan of not giving Dublin too much space.

We have a brillant record against the dubs in their home ground in finals and im not expecting anything to change in 13 days time. Ciarrai abu.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 898 - 07/09/2015 18:41:07    1784218

Link

This should be a great game, JoD and the Gooch will give our backs their fill of it if they get quick ball into them, Geaney or Donaghy are a big threat also, Moran a top midfielder but against Tyrone was well shackled, , Then we have Diarmuid Connolly who had great games against Kerry in 2011 and 2013, Against Mayo in 2013 and the last 2 matches he had to sacrifice his game just to track Keegan who is probably the best half back in Ireland, he will relish a bit more freedom against Kerry. Bernard Brogan still looks dangerous, Kilkenny and Andrews are playing very well, MDMC has just had his best game in 2 years. Kev mc still getting the goals. , Flynner is struggling though and hopefully he has a big game left in him, if Connolly and Flynner perform along with Andrews and Kilkenny I think we will win.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 07/09/2015 20:11:06    1784258

Link

Kingdomboy1,
You're right about Dublin only playing one way head,its called the winning way as you should well know by now or have you conveniently forgotten the losses we handed ye these last few years.Not to worry we'll remind you again in a couple of weeks lad.
If ignorance is bliss,its folly to be wise.Made for you sir.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 08/09/2015 08:20:53    1784315

Link

Can we keep posts about the the final to this thread, please.

JamesH (Mayo) - Posts: 465 - 13/09/2015 15:43:26    1786628

Link

Jamesh would largely agree with your assessment.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 13/09/2015 18:56:53    1786700

Link

KY4SAM2015
County: Kerry

Thank god its Dublin..I would have been more worried about Mayo this year and if they held it together for another few minutes and added one or two more points when they were four points up then it would have been game over.

We threw the game away in 2011 and in 2013 we were not the team we are now. These are two totally different sides with Kerry having adapted there game to whoever we meet. Mayo had plenty chances to punish the dubs in both games and if we get a hold in midfield, push up on the Dublin keepers kickouts then I think our forwards will be much better then Mayo at punishing the dubs.

I can see us putting up a big score in the final however my worry is our full back line but I will trust Fitzmaurice to come up with a plan of not giving Dublin too much space.

We have a brillant record against the dubs in their home ground in finals and im not expecting anything to change in 13 days time. Ciarrai abu.

-------
I'd say Dublin's 4-25 from play over the two semi games will probably give Fitzy something to think about and Dublin coming in hot after two very competitive games against arguably the third best team in the land while Kerry have been untested this year. Still I expect Kerry, as hot favourites and reigning champions and with a mighty bench, to put us away with a narrow enough win, 3 points or so. Dublin's squad is seriously depleted at present and with Cian likely to miss out with injury and the two best forwards in the country, Flynn and Connolly, off form, we'll do well to hold on to Kerry's coat tails.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 13/09/2015 20:09:12    1786736

Link

Relax posters we got this.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 13/09/2015 20:23:59    1786747

Link

If this doesn't get you all hyped up for Sunday nothing will!

Enjoy (the Dubs will anyway!)
link" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/video-highlights-and-fan-footage-of-dublins-all-ireland-final-win-over-kerry-in-2011-is-just-class/39623?utm_content=bufferf242e&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer">link

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 14/09/2015 09:57:55    1786876

Link

Think the key battle is going to be the Kerry half forward line V the Dublin half back line. McCarthy and McCaffreys runs are the basis for so many Dublin attacks and they're also key when they work the short kick outs - will be fascinating to see whether Fitzmaurice goes defensive early and lets them run at a packed Kerry defence (as Donegal did last year) or pushes up on them from the off as we tried in 2013. I'd expect the same half forward line as the semi and a defensive set up early on and play on the break. If we can stay in the game then expect Kerry to push up on Dub using substitutes - Geaney,Darren O'S and BJ Keane. Also think Mahony has to start for Kerry..think he could do a job on B Brogan. If we can get a performance from Donaghy & Cooper inside then Dublin will have to be at their best to take us.

blacknamber (Kerry) - Posts: 267 - 14/09/2015 10:03:19    1786885

Link

4th time lucky... bit.ly/1M65sJ6

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 14/09/2015 10:56:22    1786941

Link

The Sunday game analysis and preview of the All Ireland football final was excellent last night and very balanced. Finally, RTE got it right in selecting two neutral analysts, in Dessie Dolan and Brian McGuigan. As a good an analysts as they are in their own right, putting on Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Se would have been unfair. It irritates me a lot when RTE for example, get our own Kevin McStay to analyse a Mayo match, Ciaran Whelan a Dubin match or Tomas O'Se a Kerry match, for very obvious human reasons.

Anyway, the two boys went for Dublin and for exactly the reason I stated earlier, the serious pace and dynamism of the Dublin attack. Dublin are strongest where Kerry are weakest. The Dublin running support play at tremendous pace through middle is simply not good news for a team who can't defend on the back foot. Kerry simply do not have the calibre of defender they once did. Unless, Fitzmaurice has a time machine to bring back Seamus Moynihan, Mick McCarthy and Tomas O'Se the defensive resources are just not there. I could see a few Kerry defenders getting early black cards as well as they get ruthlessly found out.

Also, worth noting, is the Sunday Game boys highlighted one of Kerry's biggest strengths being their half-forward line - agreed - but how many of those same forwards would make the Dublin half forward line? I would suggest none, no way are you dropping Connolly, Kilkenny or Fylnn. Now I know Paul Flynn is not having his best year but his a 4 time all-star and I feel only a play away from catching fire. Actually of all the Kerry forwards, perhaps only JOD would get a starting place in the current Dublin team. The Colm Cooper of 2013 would certainly walk onto the Dublin team but Gooch is not the Colm Cooper of 2013 anymore.

Now I know the Dublin and Kerry HS posters are trying hard to out cute the other but realistically, I think if you listen to the neutrals, you'll get a fair idea how this game will go.

JamesH (Mayo) - Posts: 465 - 14/09/2015 12:12:03    1787008

Link