Provincial success for Kilmoyley, Steelstown and Ballygiblin

January 09, 2022

Kilmoyley (Kerry) defeated Courcey Rovers (Cork) after extra time at the TUS Gaelic Grounds

Kilmoyley capped off a memorable weekend for Kerry hurling after they defeated Courcey Rovers of Cork after extra time to become Munster club intermediate champions.

Maurice O’Connor and Daniel Collins supplied the late points that secured a 0-24 to 0-21 victory for the Kerry champions at the TUS Gaelic Grounds this afternoon.

Having led for much of the first-half of normal time, Kilmoyley fell behind at the interval after points from Jerry O’Neill, Richard Sweetnam (free) and goalkeeper Stephen Nyhan (free) moved Courcey 0-9 to 0-8 ahead by half-time.

The Cork men would usher themselves four in front through Sweetnam’s eighth of the day but their opponents rallied to force extra time with Collins to the fore.

Kilmoyley were the better team in the added periods as points from Ronan Walsh and Collins saw them into the lead and, although Courcey brought it level at 0-21 apiece, it was the Kerry side that finished superbly with an excellent point from O’Connor along the sideline being backed up by a free and a ‘65’ by Collins.

Meanwhile in Owenbeg, Derry’s Steelstown landed the Ulster club intermediate football championship title with a 0-6 to 0-4 victory over Moortown St Malachy’s.

The winners had only managed two points in the first 45 minutes before finishing with a flourish to eclipse their Tyrone counterparts and collect the provincial crown.

In Mallow, Cork champions Ballygiblin scored a 2-14 to 1-9 win against Skeheenarinky (Tipperary) in the Munster club junior hurling championship final.

AFL player Mark Keane, who was the goal hero for Cork footballers when they shocked Kerry in the 2020 Munster SFC semi-final, once again starred for Ballygiblin as they claimed provincial glory at their neighbours’ expense.

In Birmingham, Fullen Gaels (Britain) advanced to the All-Ireland club JHC semi-finals after defeating Armagh’s Craobh Rua 2-1 on penalties.

The sides couldn’t be separated as it finished 2-17 apiece after 80 minutes and it was the Manchester club that went through after the shoot-out at Páirc na hÉireann.

Most Read Stories