National Forum

Wexford Intercounty Hurling 2023

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well lads poor enough showing last night but for me only in 2nd half if we took our scores in first half would of been a lot tighter game… no point in blaming the referee getting a common thing when we loose what i wil say is we do seem to have to buy a free a lot harder than any other inter county team… Liam Ryan needs to cut out needless stupid frees seems to do it every game and gives away at least 3 to 4 scores from them every game… no ball wining half forward line been saying it for years when teams push up and we do go long we struggle for someone to put hand up and win dirty ball… without chin and Jacko we struggle..this free taking is becoming a joke for me even if banville was 70 percent fit he should of played for frees alone… mikie Dwyer is a player who really fustrates me very inconsistent and would not have him near starting 15… fanning mcguckian and foley and Damien reck again top performers….2 posters on here said subs were put on without warm ups which is nonsense they do warmups in blocks and were constantly doing these in front of us…and finally not a criticism of Mac himself or anyone but we have this thing that we have to pump high balls in to him the whole time, his marked Mcinerny was a perfit fit for him bigger and more physical than him and won all the duels in first few mins. Why not move Mac out the field and put maybe Dunbar some one nippy inside and try find them with low balls.. a fast nippy fullforward would of destroyed Mcinerny with fast low ball as the pace would of killed him… anyway one to Westmeath next week where i would like to see doran banville flood all start

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 264 - 05/02/2023 16:35:41    2456589

Link

Replying To hunting:  "OK first thing first, the last 20 minutes were very poor and slightly worrying. For me the three big issues were once again, free taking, wides and winning primary possession. The ref was poor but not the cause of the losing of the game. We should have been 4/5 points up at half time and we cannot afford to keep throwing away scores like we do.
When I saw both team sheets, I had a feeling Galway would win by 5 or more,as they had almost a fulll strength team and we were missing 6 to 7 starters.
Our younger lads looked very small and their touch was behind where it should be but there young. Disappointing night but it only the first league game."
Galway almost full strength team?! You must be joking.

Missing Daithi Burke (all stars falling out his pockets) and the St Thomas contingent for a start.

Galway will be much changed and stronger come championship.

ahsure. (Galway) - Posts: 1458 - 05/02/2023 17:47:44    2456643

Link

Replying To ahsure.:  "Galway almost full strength team?! You must be joking.

Missing Daithi Burke (all stars falling out his pockets) and the St Thomas contingent for a start.

Galway will be much changed and stronger come championship."
Watched the game with a Galway man. He reckoned we saw between 10 and 12 lads, maybe more, out of the likely 18 or so lads who will start round robin games for you. You were missing Daithi Burke and Joe Cooney who will definitely start. Fintan Burke and Conor Cooney from the Toms. It was still a strong Galway team. You will certainly be stronger but not that much changed in Pearce Stadium.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6707 - 05/02/2023 18:18:16    2456668

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "Well lads poor enough showing last night but for me only in 2nd half if we took our scores in first half would of been a lot tighter game… no point in blaming the referee getting a common thing when we loose what i wil say is we do seem to have to buy a free a lot harder than any other inter county team… Liam Ryan needs to cut out needless stupid frees seems to do it every game and gives away at least 3 to 4 scores from them every game… no ball wining half forward line been saying it for years when teams push up and we do go long we struggle for someone to put hand up and win dirty ball… without chin and Jacko we struggle..this free taking is becoming a joke for me even if banville was 70 percent fit he should of played for frees alone… mikie Dwyer is a player who really fustrates me very inconsistent and would not have him near starting 15… fanning mcguckian and foley and Damien reck again top performers….2 posters on here said subs were put on without warm ups which is nonsense they do warmups in blocks and were constantly doing these in front of us…and finally not a criticism of Mac himself or anyone but we have this thing that we have to pump high balls in to him the whole time, his marked Mcinerny was a perfit fit for him bigger and more physical than him and won all the duels in first few mins. Why not move Mac out the field and put maybe Dunbar some one nippy inside and try find them with low balls.. a fast nippy fullforward would of destroyed Mcinerny with fast low ball as the pace would of killed him… anyway one to Westmeath next week where i would like to see doran banville flood all start"
I was right beside the bench. The lads were not warmed up for sprinting in winter. They would have took a few minutes after coming on the pitch before they were fully warmed up.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6707 - 05/02/2023 18:19:52    2456669

Link

I think we all knew we'd struggle on frees, I think the team know this as well and have no confidence when they walk up to take them. They pop over the more difficult ones and miss the straightforward ones. Galway were much hungrier and a lot more aggressive, plenty of times when we had the ball, particularly Dunbar and Mac, they had 3 Galway players around them. Galway were unlucky not to get more goals, their forwards fumbled at times and Fanning did well. We had a hard time creating space, passing into groups and trying to strike surrounded by players rather than taking a second to look at options.

I get it's early in the season but it's the same for all the other teams too and Cork/Limerick for example were another level. Next weekend will tell a lot and I'm getting flashbacks to last years visit to Mullingar. Considering how much Clare hammered them today, we need to do close to the same taking into account they are at home.

goreyll (Wexford) - Posts: 45 - 05/02/2023 19:11:31    2456711

Link

Replying To goreyll:  "I think we all knew we'd struggle on frees, I think the team know this as well and have no confidence when they walk up to take them. They pop over the more difficult ones and miss the straightforward ones. Galway were much hungrier and a lot more aggressive, plenty of times when we had the ball, particularly Dunbar and Mac, they had 3 Galway players around them. Galway were unlucky not to get more goals, their forwards fumbled at times and Fanning did well. We had a hard time creating space, passing into groups and trying to strike surrounded by players rather than taking a second to look at options.

I get it's early in the season but it's the same for all the other teams too and Cork/Limerick for example were another level. Next weekend will tell a lot and I'm getting flashbacks to last years visit to Mullingar. Considering how much Clare hammered them today, we need to do close to the same taking into account they are at home."
I'll be happy just to beat them tbh. Should guarantee our safety and free Egan to try get games into the fringe players to see if any will step up to starter standard before the championship. Can't say any of them are nailed on yet tbh. The 2 Lawlors, Mcguckin, Carty and Banville on the frees probably the pick of the new lads during the Walsh Cup.
Last year Limerick only won one League game. The one against Offaly. Didn't seem to do them any harm as the summer rolled on.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6707 - 05/02/2023 21:13:46    2456790

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Watched the game with a Galway man. He reckoned we saw between 10 and 12 lads, maybe more, out of the likely 18 or so lads who will start round robin games for you. You were missing Daithi Burke and Joe Cooney who will definitely start. Fintan Burke and Conor Cooney from the Toms. It was still a strong Galway team. You will certainly be stronger but not that much changed in Pearce Stadium."
Cathal Mannion as well.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 2033 - 05/02/2023 21:18:55    2456795

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Cathal Mannion as well."
Yep great player for sure. Is Ronan Glennon still in the panel? Good player also. TJ Brennan looked good in the Fitzgibbon last year. Liam Collins has the potential to be a superstar.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6707 - 05/02/2023 21:27:13    2456800

Link

Interesting watching Waterford Dublin today to see John Kenny from Castlebridge is in the Waterford backroom team, was standing behind the goals talking to Shaun O'Brien around puckouts more obvious in the 2nd half, was doing the same with ourselves in 2019 from my memory, was involved with Oilgate and Wexford u20s previously I think.

TerribleFootwork (Wexford) - Posts: 435 - 05/02/2023 21:44:25    2456807

Link