National Forum

Wicklow GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Victorious87:  "And no underground heating for the pitch either, disgrace!"
Didn't realize we were dealing with this level of immaturity on the forum these days.

Its this exact comment/attitude that embodies why we are where we are in Wicklow. Middle of Championship season in both football and hurling our county ground pitch is dead, but its too much to ask for it to be kept in good condition in peak season. Conleths in Kildare (Which is a poor county ground by any standard) pitch wouldn't be let die in this heat. Have seen other counties watering county grounds pitches on social media the last few weeks too.

The grounds do look great and the painting makes a massive difference to the appearance of the ground, credit where credits due - but I don't think its an unreasonable ask that players are playing on a good surface in this day and age for the sake of a bit of water in a heatwave.

footballlover (Wicklow) - Posts: 87 - 11/08/2022 12:04:35    2437050

Link

Replying To footballlover:  "Didn't realize we were dealing with this level of immaturity on the forum these days.

Its this exact comment/attitude that embodies why we are where we are in Wicklow. Middle of Championship season in both football and hurling our county ground pitch is dead, but its too much to ask for it to be kept in good condition in peak season. Conleths in Kildare (Which is a poor county ground by any standard) pitch wouldn't be let die in this heat. Have seen other counties watering county grounds pitches on social media the last few weeks too.

The grounds do look great and the painting makes a massive difference to the appearance of the ground, credit where credits due - but I don't think its an unreasonable ask that players are playing on a good surface in this day and age for the sake of a bit of water in a heatwave."
A friend was telling me that he knew a player who was playing last weekend. I think it was in the east of the county. Anyway, he shipped a knock and lost loads of skin from a knee and forearm/ elbow. He will be sore for a week or so . Said it was like hitting tarmac. Just saying - though there might be a bit of static from the sidelines on this as well. And fair play to those who gave the county grounds a facelift. They really are looking well. ( grass excepted) A few interesting hurling matches this weekend. A must win for St Pats. Still, in my opinion, this championship is Brays to lose. Glenealy won't be far away and Kiltegan are on the way but, there should be another year or two in this Bray outfit. Let's hope that whoever the new hurling manager is can get the best players from all clubs onto his panel. Fair play to all those who lined out for the county team last season but a weak county like Wicklow needs all our top players involved.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 521 - 11/08/2022 13:02:47    2437060

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "A friend was telling me that he knew a player who was playing last weekend. I think it was in the east of the county. Anyway, he shipped a knock and lost loads of skin from a knee and forearm/ elbow. He will be sore for a week or so . Said it was like hitting tarmac. Just saying - though there might be a bit of static from the sidelines on this as well. And fair play to those who gave the county grounds a facelift. They really are looking well. ( grass excepted) A few interesting hurling matches this weekend. A must win for St Pats. Still, in my opinion, this championship is Brays to lose. Glenealy won't be far away and Kiltegan are on the way but, there should be another year or two in this Bray outfit. Let's hope that whoever the new hurling manager is can get the best players from all clubs onto his panel. Fair play to all those who lined out for the county team last season but a weak county like Wicklow needs all our top players involved."
Regarding the hurling, for a county with over a dozen clubs fielding adult hurling teams we should be doing much better. We should be up in Div 2A and competing with the likes of Carlow, Meath etc

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 133 - 11/08/2022 17:49:05    2437095

Link

Replying To liam500:  "Regarding the hurling, for a county with over a dozen clubs fielding adult hurling teams we should be doing much better. We should be up in Div 2A and competing with the likes of Carlow, Meath etc"
Nothing surprising from yesterdays hurling. Is it Glens v Carnew and Bray v Kiltegan in the semi's. Kiltegan are an interesting side this year and Carnew can be tough but another Emmets v Glenealy final on the cards ? I have a feeling that Bray still have Glenealy's measure on the big day.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 521 - 15/08/2022 11:40:47    2437478

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Nothing surprising from yesterdays hurling. Is it Glens v Carnew and Bray v Kiltegan in the semi's. Kiltegan are an interesting side this year and Carnew can be tough but another Emmets v Glenealy final on the cards ? I have a feeling that Bray still have Glenealy's measure on the big day."
I have to commend Kilteagan; what a club. A tiny place with limited resources probably and not only are they senior in both hurling and football but can compete and win championship in both codes and have done so for a prolonged of time. Why is it that more clubs in the county with a bigger population can't compete in hurling and football? Fair play to all involved locally in Kilteagan.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1635 - 15/08/2022 15:29:01    2437526

Link

where is pat mustard gone ? i think he is someone from the county board in wicklow debate

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 227 - 15/08/2022 16:05:55    2437531

Link